Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: What is the Best Under $50 Ebay Make of Rangefinder for Newbies?
Argus 25 2.57%
Canon 130 13.35%
FSU Former Soviet Union 175 17.97%
Kodak 16 1.64%
Konica 74 7.60%
Minolta 60 6.16%
Olympus 175 17.97%
Yashica 259 26.59%
Other Make European 29 2.98%
Other Make Japanese 31 3.18%
Voters: 974. You may not vote on this poll

What's the Best UNDER $50 Ebay Rangefinder?
Old 08-09-2009   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

What's the Best UNDER $50 Ebay Rangefinder?

What's the Best UNDER $50 Rangefinder?
I get a lot of emails from people wanting to buy their first rangefinder on the cheap to find out if Rangefinder Photography is for them.

I'm curious what the RFF consensus is for the best under $50 rangefinder -- based upon average Ebay selling prices.

Let the voting begin ..

and speak up if other candidates should be added to the poll.

Your vote will be PUBLIC.

Besides voting, you are welcomed to explain why you made your choice, and your favorites of that make within the price range.

Stephen

Old 08-09-2009   #2
Avotius
Some guy

Without a doubt for me it would be the Yashica GSN. I paid 13 dollars for mine on the bay and it was so great I bought another, the only time I have ever bought two of the same camera. In my mind it is the best combination of fast sharp glass with a great ability to meter light correctly even if you are a bit of a metering slacker. A great and very easy to find gem of the sub $50 cameras.

Old 08-09-2009   #3
pesphoto

gotta be Yashica GSN with Yashica lynx 5000e a close sencond for me

Old 08-09-2009   #4
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

The Retinas are going cheap.

Many fine models can be had for under $25..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 08-09-2009   #5
ItsReallyDarren
That's really me

I'm going to say the Yashica GSN as well. They are quite easy and usually quite cheap. It has an excellent sharp lens and aperture priority with a limited manual exposure speed.

Old 08-09-2009   #6
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I don't particularly like the camera as I believe it's over rated but the GSN seems to be the one. I have a couple that cost me around $50.00 each and they perform flawlessly!

I just can't get along with them though so they spend all their time in the cupboard ... the size and the ergonomics spoil them.

Old 08-09-2009   #7
Brian Sweeney

The Canonet QL17L and GIII can be had for under $50. It is a mechanical camera, and most are working. Like any 35+year old camera, it will probably need some work. Same is true of the Yashica Electro's, Retina's, and others. The Canonets are easiest to work on, and plenty of help threads for it.

Old 08-09-2009   #8
FallisPhoto

Colyn is right. The Retina II series cameras are dropping in price and they are wonderful cameras. Avotius is also right in that the Yashica GSN/GTN cameras are great. One of those was my first rangefinder and it got me hooked. However, I think the Konica Auto S series slightly edges them out. For $50 and under, it is just awfully difficult to beat a Hexanon lens.

Old 08-09-2009   #9
bmattock

Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Old 08-09-2009   #10
ishpop
tall person

I have only used the GSN and Oly 35sp, and in that case the GSN won for me.
Minolta CLE, Minolta Auto S3, Rolleiflex 3.5f, Fuji 6x9 Texas Leica, Hasselblad 501c, Rolleiflex Automat, Yashica 635, Oly OM1, Leica Minilux, Contax T2, Polaroid SL680, Holga, Olympus E1, Canon 5DMKII

http://scotteverett.tumblr.com/

Old 08-09-2009   #11
Merkin
For the Weekend

I voted 'Other make japanese' because I think it is as close as makes no difference to a tie between the Yashicas and the Canonets, the biggest deciding factor being whether you prefer shutter priority (for freezing or blurring motion) or aperture priority (for depth of field control). Both methods are highly useful for rangefinder photography, and both are fantastically well built cameras. Really though, with the exception of the Minolta FLRFs that I have seen, it is hard to go wrong with any of the Japanese FLRFs. The Olympus, in particular, has a number of really nice features, but I have never gotten my hands on one.

Old 08-09-2009   #12
gb hill

I have both the Canonet ql17gIII & Yashica GSN. The Canonet was my first rangefinder camera & is still used quite a bit. The GSN is heavy & feels cheap made. The handling is bulky compared to the QL17. The lens is quite good but the rest of the camera lacks IMO. I also have a few FSU cameras. The VF is pretty crappy even compared to the Yashica or Canonet. So I have to say that I would recommend the Canonet. This camera probably inspired me to purchase a Bessa R more than any other.

Old 08-09-2009   #13
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

What ... no votes for the Argus yet?

Old 08-09-2009   #14
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
For a newbie? For a newbie, I'd go with the GSN. Simple, easy, good results. Tends to draw 'em in. Worked on me, anyway.

Old 08-09-2009   #15
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
With careful shopping you can get 3 lens Argus outfits for $50

its difficult to get that with other makes.

Stephen

Old 08-09-2009   #16
Wayno

Minolta 7s for me. Stellar lens, good metering, great viewfinder and bright RF patch, parallax correcting framelines, optional AE if you want it, etc, etc. Big & homely, but a great performer.

I recently got a Fujica V2 which is similar in size and features and may have an even better lens.

Old 08-09-2009   #17
aizan

i like the olympus 35rc. small, cute, well made.

Old 08-09-2009   #18
biomed

Yashica Electro35 GSN - although I have enjoyed using Minolta Hi-matics. I bought a new GTN for $60 when I was in the Air Force in the early 70s.

2016 Photos

rff Gallery

Blog

Old 08-09-2009   #19
Steve M.

Konica C35. Great lens, and much smaller than the Yashicas. IF, and it's a big if, you can get a good Fed 2 w/ the collapsible Elmar 50 copy, that's a better picture taker, but that can sometimes take several tries. And you'll need a light meter. The Konica has a meter and unlike the Yashica, it's viewfinder gives you shutter and aperture info. The camera has an AE lock too.

Last edited by Steve M. : 08-09-2009 at 16:46.

Old 08-09-2009   #20
gavinlg

I voted minolta because I quite like the hi0matic 7s and 9. But the yashicas are good - even the slower ministers.

Old 08-09-2009   #21
Krosya
Konicaze

Canonet GIII QL17 or Konica AUTO S - great cameras and superb lenses.

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 08-09-2009   #22
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

I agree: either the Yashica GSN or Canonet GIII QL17 (or whatever the order of those letters/numbers is)

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 08-09-2009   #23
rya

I recently got an Argus and cannot speak for the other rangefinders, but I have a lot of fun with my brick.

And, today is Argus day.

Old 08-09-2009   #24
Rogier
Rogier Willems

Yashica Electro GSN I bought 3 for less than $20 each.

Old 08-09-2009   #25
bawang

Yashica Electro GSN....plenty available. Pick and choose the one with some kind of warranty to be working. Some suffer from Pad Of Death (POD), which renders it unusable. Nonetheless, they are easy to fix, check google.

Old 08-09-2009   #26
Bingley

Konica Auto S2: very, very sharp lens; bright vf w/ moving framelines to adjust for parallax; and both manual and semi-auto mode. Got mine in pristine shape for around $46, including shipping.

M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 08-09-2009   #27
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
...the GSN seems to be the one. I have a couple that cost me around $50.00 each and they perform flawlessly! [...] I just can't get along with them though so they spend all their time in the cupboard ... the size and the ergonomics spoil them.
It shouldn't be so, but I find myself in the same boat as Keith. I have a nice GTN, which can "do the business" just fine. But if I'm using a fixed lens rf, it's the Konica Auto S3 that gets all the work, despite not being in as good condition. I voted accordingly.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 08-09-2009   #28
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Every camera now has a vote except for the Argus ... surely someone thinks it's the one!

It's American for gawd's sake ... have you lot got no loyalty?

Old 08-09-2009   #29
David Murphy

Probably a Kiev 4 or 4a which one can occasionally snare with a J8 for that amount. It's not the ideal camera, but if you are lucky to find a light-tight one in reasonable repair, you have a good beginners system rangefinder.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 08-09-2009   #30
btgc

Yashica Lynx 5000 - proper lens, proper size and weight, proper exposure controls, excellent shutter release. Recommend it because I have one for use and another as spare. No doubt after CQ recommends any make, it will drive up second market, though I hope not to shop for them.

Konica Auto S and S2 - everything is nice, especially lens and large'n'bright viewfinder, though shutter release isn't up to standards of perfect snapshot kamara. It's long travel and stiff, no fun to use without soft release.

Old 08-09-2009   #31
BillBingham2

Quote:
It's American for gawd's sake ... have you lot got no loyalty?
Yes, but for stuff we are proud of.........the box never did anything for me.

B2 (;->

Old 08-09-2009   #32
gavinlg

Quote:
I don't particularly like the camera as I believe it's over rated but the GSN seems to be the one. I have a couple that cost me around $50.00 each and they perform flawlessly!

I just can't get along with them though so they spend all their time in the cupboard ... the size and the ergonomics spoil them.
Agreed. Though I've never had one that works perfectly. I spent about 200-300 dollars going through multiple ones, including cheapos and expensive "works perfectly" ones from ebay, and all of them either broke or didn't work. In the end when I realised I could have just bought a Bessa R body brand new with that money I just cracked it and now I have somewhat of a vendetta against the electros. I did have a minister III though that worked well and had a gorgeous lens.

I want to like the Electros.... I saw Colin's (Avotius) photos from china with one and they took my breath away. Truly a world class lens in the right hands.

Last edited by gavinlg : 08-09-2009 at 23:21.

Old 08-09-2009   #33
bgb

Guess i would go for the Electro too but only if you can find a good one, i got mine from an auction site and it goes klunk like something broke and the front element is ugly. Not sure if it will take reasonable pictures but the soon to be developed test roll will be interesting.
A good one would be a jewel ... if only i could find it !

I would love to nominate the OM-1 but i hear it's not a rangefinder ... go figure.

Old 08-10-2009   #34
David Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallisPhoto View Post
Colyn is right. The Retina II series cameras are dropping in price and they are wonderful cameras. Avotius is also right in that the Yashica GSN/GTN cameras are great. One of those was my first rangefinder and it got me hooked. However, I think the Konica Auto S series slightly edges them out. For $50 and under, it is just awfully difficult to beat a Hexanon lens.
The Retina II is a scale focusing camera as I recall - not a rangefinder
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS

Old 08-10-2009   #35
David Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
With careful shopping you can get 3 lens Argus outfits for $50

its difficult to get that with other makes.

Stephen
Good point. Some of the Argus lenses are German-made as I recall.

Old 08-10-2009   #36
David Murphy

Actually the Zorki 4 and 4a are sometimes obtainable for less than $50. A lot of them are useless without a CLA, but I've bought acceptable ones for under $50 and they use LTM lenses - a big door opener to quality optics.

Old 08-10-2009   #37
George Bonanno
-

Konica Auto S2... the cat's meow.
If you're on a $10 to $20 budget go for the Petri 2.8 Color Corrected Super.
Kuribayashi rules ! The original red dot.

BTW: Argus = pure junk.

Old 08-10-2009   #38
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

The "best" buy is any one of them that actually works. With fairly minor differences, any are decent cameras, I think.

As I have said in the FSU forum, I think it matters much more who you are buying from than which specific camera.

That said, I think either any of the Canonettes or the Vivitar 35EE or ES are very good starting points.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 08-10-2009   #39
umboody

I'd have to agree with those saying the Yashica, although I got the GT model (similar, but more expensive). You can't really go wrong with them - fast sharp prime lens, great bright viewfinder, and they look really cool. But now I'm selling mine on eBay because I've got my Bessa R kitted out with all the lenses I'll ever need, so it's surplus to needs

Old 08-10-2009   #40
spiderfrank
just a dreamer

a little fed2 and a table for the "16 rule": simple, easy to use, affrodable and reliable, with a really precise rangefinder. Or a good old Kiev: even better RF, but more difficult to find in perfect working condition