Old 05-28-2010   #81
robbeiflex
Registered User
 
robbeiflex's Avatar
 
robbeiflex is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ederek View Post
From gallery of Szimpla, a "ruins" bar in Budapest (pretty sure entire gallery is with 50 lux, there's camera info on the images): http://bit.ly/9MT1a1
Great place, and a great gallery. It makes me want to go back there!

...mmmmm Dreher!
__________________
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2010   #82
Renzsu
Registered User
 
Renzsu's Avatar
 
Renzsu is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krosya View Post
My statement was directed at ONLY lens performance - not at YOUR ability to take photos or anything else. So no reason to be offended. I thought it was clear, but....Whatever.

I see people are getting sensative about my questions/critique of this lens, so I'll try to clear the air - when I do my research of the lens - I look at as many photos as I can find that were made with it. And thread like this usually helps. Thats when I noticed that so many images look different. I'd think that same lens has same performance - AGAIN not an artistic view, but pure technical stuff, and in this case it didnt look consistent. So I asked. If anyone can explain this - great! If not - well, I didnt mean to hurt anyone's feelings. Geez - God forbid I ask questions about the lens at the camera forum.......

Look, I'm not offended, I just didn't like the passive aggressive wording you chose... for me it sounded ignorant, as if picking a top quality lens would just transform everything into award winning photography.

It would help if you can explain what you expect from this lens.. just saying 'better' doesn't mean anything, how would you expect us to reply to that?

Look I use this lens if I want really sharp in focus subjects and smooth oof subjects, crisp details, stuff like that (or when I just need a 50mm lens of course, I don't have any other 50's anymore). Of course you will see this in photos such as close up portraits wide open. Stop down the lens and you'll see less and less difference with other lenses.

I don't really know what else to say, the lens delivers for me and I look forward to using it on a digital in perhaps a year or so if I'm lucky.

On with the pictures!
__________________
site | Flickr |
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2010   #83
MikeL
Go Fish
 
MikeL's Avatar
 
MikeL is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krosya View Post
My statement was directed at ONLY lens performance - not at YOUR ability to take photos or anything else. So no reason to be offended. I thought it was clear, but....Whatever.

I see people are getting sensative about my questions/critique of this lens, so I'll try to clear the air - when I do my research of the lens - I look at as many photos as I can find that were made with it. And thread like this usually helps. Thats when I noticed that so many images look different. I'd think that same lens has same performance - AGAIN not an artistic view, but pure technical stuff, and in this case it didnt look consistent. So I asked. If anyone can explain this - great! If not - well, I didnt mean to hurt anyone's feelings. Geez - God forbid I ask questions about the lens at the camera forum.......
Kroysa, why taking the victim stance? It can't be you or your posts? No one is taking this personally or being sensitive. And your question was pretty well answered in Aizan's and Renzu's posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
different films, exposure, and post-processing can give extremely different looks from any lens, especially when all you're looking at is a jpg. nothing mysterious going on...or is there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzsu View Post
How much a lens can do is a vague statement, it depends on who's using the lens, what film he's using, what developer, scanner settings, etc. etc.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010   #84
ederek
Registered User
 
ederek's Avatar
 
ederek is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsomogyi View Post
Great place, and a great gallery. It makes me want to go back there!

...mmmmm Dreher!
Thanks for looking! Yes, Dreher Dark, very nice! It was interesting - I met 2 people that night specifically because I was shooting a Leica. The woman Mariann in the gallery emailed me a link to her friends blog - some great street work: http://severinkoller.at/blog/

Ok, back to the images... Here are some from an evening at the Sowa Studios in the South End of Boston. Thought they'd offer some good comparisons of the lens at different apertures.

Only so much shows in a web jpeg. I put all these and a few more in a web gallery at full resolution for those who want to peep (and see how much hand shake I had that night, as I recall!):
http://bit.ly/afd06W

To Renzu's point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzu
The shape of the aperture changes a lot between shooting wide open (completely round), to smaller apertures where you almost get a star shape.. so wide open you can expect smooth oof effects, yet stop down a bit and things can get a bit busy.
Here are a couple with a string of white christmas lights hanging in the background... The first shows the "stars", f between 2.8 and 4

M9, ISO200, 1/60

and then wide open, 1/250


And Barbara Leiner, the artist. Walking into her gallery was wonderful, such warm colors. Processed only slightly in LR, the orig untouched image is in the gallery, I am happy with how the lens captured the feeling.



I like the bokeh of this lens, really smoothed out a busy background of paintings:


There are 2 of these in the gallery, think this was wide open. The blue background is natural evening light coming in a window:



The lens is tack sharp, lots of detail in the pencil. I thought Ellen had such beautiful hands, really drew me in...


I stopped it down to f3.5 or so to bring out the rope on the chair that Ellen was sketching - should have stopped down even further...


Just a slight crop on this one, left too much white space in upper right:


Harel Kedem is an artist with a strong environmental message, I like this but it lost some of the context of his work:


Stopping down a bit reveals a bit more of the artists work in the background:


SAY NO to BOTTLED WATER


Someone mentioned the lens performance at close focus distance. Going to .7 meters is one of the things I love about this lens and why I don't use my rigid 50 cron more. Wide open:


...remember to have FUN!

Last edited by ederek : 06-02-2010 at 08:19.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2010   #85
mfogiel
Registered User
 
mfogiel's Avatar
 
mfogiel is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Monaco
Posts: 4,666
This is one of most recent shots. I like this lens for the versatility, excellent portrait rendition and non excesive contrast.

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2010   #86
matt335
Registered User
 
matt335's Avatar
 
matt335 is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
This is one of most recent shots. I like this lens for the versatility, excellent portrait rendition and non excesive contrast
That's a wonderful photograph !!
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010   #87
nephilim
Registered User
 
nephilim is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berlin
Posts: 59
Here is some stuff from my first months with an M-camera (sorry for the frames):

Ektar 100




TMax400 in Rodinal




I really like the 50 Lux Asph, much more than the 50 and 58mm lenses on I've used on Nikon F-mount. My only nitpick is the feel of the focus ring, which could be a bit more smooth. It takes a notable amount of force/torque until the ring starts to rotate, and that's the case from near to far limit. Everything is being sent to Leica right now, as my recently purchased 90/2 APO Asph needs to be calibrated. Let's see what they can do about the 50.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010   #88
vonion
Registered User
 
vonion's Avatar
 
vonion is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9
Wondering why the bokeh in pic 1 goes that way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ederek View Post
Thanks for looking! Yes, Dreher Dark, very nice! It was interesting - I met 2 people that night specifically because I was shooting a Leica. The woman Mariann in the gallery emailed me a link to her friends blog - some great street work: http://severinkoller.at/blog/

Ok, back to the images... Here are some from an evening at the Sowa Studios in the South End of Boston. Thought they'd offer some good comparisons of the lens at different apertures.

Only so much shows in a web jpeg. I put all these and a few more in a web gallery at full resolution for those who want to peep (and see how much hand shake I had that night, as I recall!):
http://bit.ly/afd06W

To Renzu's point:

Here are a couple with a string of white christmas lights hanging in the background... The first shows the "stars", f between 2.8 and 4

M9, ISO200, 1/60

and then wide open, 1/250
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2010   #89
ramosa
Registered User
 
ramosa is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,014
great lens. i had a cron for my first two years with a rangefinder and then, just a few weeks ago, switched to a lux. i think it'll be the perfect 50mm for me, with a mix of the nocti magic and cron standard. that said, the cron is no slouch ... and the nocti would have been intriguing if it wasn't so large with such a long throw (in focus).
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2010   #90
khc1013
Anthony
 
khc1013's Avatar
 
khc1013 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota /Hong Kong
Posts: 195
I would assume that was not taken wide open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonion View Post
Wondering why the bokeh in pic 1 goes that way..
__________________
My flickr

My Blog
  Reply With Quote

Some shots on M43
Old 08-07-2010   #91
time
Registered User
 
time's Avatar
 
time is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 71
Some shots on M43

I like shoting at night.

Tried the lux asph on a M4/3 camera. I think it works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50asphLUX.jpg (25.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 50m1010728.jpg (28.3 KB, 73 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010   #92
Turtle
Registered User
 
Turtle is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,636
For all the praise of its abilities, there are just not that many genuinely great shots from this lens. Maybe that is something to do with those who buy them and why, or the FL or... I dont know what!

I have seen what I find to be amazing work from CV 25 skopars, 24 Elmarit asphs, 28 Elmarits, 35 crons (all types) 50mm summicrons, 50 1.5 Noktons and many other lenses. While I recognise the technical brilliance of the 50 lux asph, I have yet to much application where I personally get why someone would go to all the additional expense over a cron or CV 50 1.5. With all the explanations of 'I really needed the speed', unless one comes out with something convincing, I cant help but feel it proves only that we are all capable of finding dark places and pressing the shutter button. Or creating 'bokeh.'

I don't begrudge people spending the money on what they want to own, but I would love to see shots where I see where that extra money has really mattered -where the viewer can see why they squeezed that last drop out of the 50mm performance. Oddly enough, this 'investment in a tool - results' relationship seems more apparent with the Noctilux 1.0 than with the more humble lux asph. The latter seems to have been responsible for a very high proportion of technically competent but otherwise boring photographs that look rather like they have been taken from a 'How To...' photography book from twenty years ago.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but I am amazed that a lens so heavily lauded seems associated with so little apparent application of this brilliance. Sure there are some super shots out there, but far, far fewer than I would expect.

Last edited by Turtle : 08-08-2010 at 03:53.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010   #93
P. Lynn Miller
Registered User
 
P. Lynn Miller's Avatar
 
P. Lynn Miller is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 805
Interesting...

I have been very impressed by the neutrality of the Nokton 50/1.1 and the Nokton 50/1.5 is a gem of a lens. I have and use both. The only thing I do not like about either lens, is the lack of focus down to 0.7 metres. As near as I can tell, the Summilux 50 ASPH is only lens that combines the attributes of Nokton's... extremely neutral, very high resolution, contrast and extremely resistance to flare, in a package that focuses to 0.7 metres.

I must admit... I would consider acquiring a Summilux 50 ASPH at some point even if I may not be competent enough to really get my money's worth.
__________________

P. Lynn Miller
Sydney, Australia

I have one of those Flickr thingy's...
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010   #94
Freakscene
Deregistered user
 
Freakscene's Avatar
 
Freakscene is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In exile
Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Lynn Miller View Post
Interesting...[snip] As near as I can tell, the Summilux 50 ASPH is only lens that combines the attributes of Nokton's... extremely neutral, very high resolution, contrast and extremely resistance to flare, in a package that focuses to 0.7 metres.

I must admit... I would consider acquiring a Summilux 50 ASPH at some point even if I may not be competent enough to really get my money's worth.
Yes, indeed. The 0.95 Noctilux is even better than the 50/1.4 asph, but only focuses to 1 m. I was glad when I found that, actually. I'd have been in a huge hole, cash wise, if I'd found that the 0.95 focused to 0.7 m. The consistency of the contrast throughout the aperture range and focus distance is a real achievement.

Marty
  Reply With Quote

not sure
Old 08-08-2010   #95
ampguy
Registered User
 
ampguy's Avatar
 
ampguy is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,025
not sure

the cron asph 35/2 does that sometimes, but in a much more elegant cinematic look.

I guess this is *the* lens for .7m-1m 50/1.4 RF use, but the Noctilux E60 f1 never gave the harshness of this lens, nor does the pre-asph 50/1.4 after 1m.

I have to wonder if going from custom glass to off the shelf glass, has something to do with the radically different look of the older designs, and unique look at specific apertures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonion View Post
Wondering why the bokeh in pic 1 goes that way..
__________________
My photo blog

  Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010   #96
P. Lynn Miller
Registered User
 
P. Lynn Miller's Avatar
 
P. Lynn Miller is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
Yes, indeed. The 0.95 Noctilux is even better than the 50/1.4 asph, but only focuses to 1 m. I was glad when I found that, actually. I'd have been in a huge hole, cash wise, if I'd found that the 0.95 focused to 0.7 m. The consistency of the contrast throughout the aperture range and focus distance is a real achievement.

Marty
I share the same sentiment, although for the price of the Noctilux f0.95, it should focus down to 0.7 m. I wish Cosina would have spent the time and money to make the Nokton 50/1.1 focus to 0.7m, floating rear elements are nothing new... my 1970 Nikkor 28/2 and 35/1.4 both have 'floating' rear elements to improve close focusing.

As for the 'starlight' bokeh, most lenses will exhibit such highlights when not used at maximum aperture unless there is a bazillion aperture blades.
__________________

P. Lynn Miller
Sydney, Australia

I have one of those Flickr thingy's...
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010   #97
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist
 
semilog's Avatar
 
semilog is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
For all the praise of its abilities, there are just not that many genuinely great shots from this lens...
It's a rather new lens and there just are not that many copies of it in the wild, yet.

Give it time. And in the meantime, check this thread for some terrific work:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=92921
__________________
There are two kinds of photographers:
those who are interested in what a particular camera can't do,
and those who are interested in what it can do.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010   #98
dovevadar
DoveVadar
 
dovevadar's Avatar
 
dovevadar is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 205
A magnificent lens. I like to see it more on film which I find a challenge to dig out any on the net. This lens on a digital M cuts my eyes.

Here are some with Protra 400VC. Hope it helps people like me:




__________________
say hi on flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010   #99
Nando
Registered User
 
Nando's Avatar
 
Nando is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Canada & Coimbra, Portugal
Age: 41
Posts: 1,140

Cappuccino by ~ Nando ~, on Flickr
__________________
"Oui, non, oui, non, OUI!" - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2010   #100
dovevadar
DoveVadar
 
dovevadar's Avatar
 
dovevadar is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 205
All shot with MP + Summilux 50mm ASPH LHSA version.







__________________
say hi on flickr
  Reply With Quote

MP + 50mm lux asph
Old 01-07-2011   #101
time
Registered User
 
time's Avatar
 
time is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 71
MP + 50mm lux asph

Here as well.... MP and 50mm lux asph + kodak iso200
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matfgristr.jpg (25.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg skogfoldsjoleicalux50asph.jpg (41.4 KB, 59 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011   #102
jja
Registered User
 
jja is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 540
Shot on T-Max 400:

__________________
My Flickr

My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011   #103
LChanyungco
Registered User
 
LChanyungco's Avatar
 
LChanyungco is offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 611
i'm beginning to want a chrome 50mm 1.4 ASPH realllly bad

Last edited by LChanyungco : 01-20-2011 at 04:17. Reason: ^^
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011   #104
jja
Registered User
 
jja is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 540
Torsten Wolf, I like every single one of the photos you posted. I need to give Ektar a real go one of these days.

For me, there is not doubt: this is the "best" 50mm lens I have ever shot. By "best" mean the most well corrected, sharpest, and most "neutral" lens that can be shot at close (or close-ish) distance. It is not my favorite lens--only one of my favorites, and that's fine with me. The oft-heard comparison that it is like a Summicron plus one extra stop is very accurate. For me, it's like an M-Hexanon plus an extra stop because it does not flare like a Summicron!

There's way too much angst about this lens on this thread--people wondering if they and others are "good enough" to shoot it, or if the photos themselves are capable of representing the lens's resolving abilities. I don't know (nor do I care) if I'm a good enough photographer, but I'm happy I own a Summilux asph.
__________________
My Flickr

My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Availability within the US?
Old 01-22-2011   #105
jmkays
Registered User
 
jmkays's Avatar
 
jmkays is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5
Availability within the US?

To those that have bought this lens in the US, where are they most readily in stock? B&H, Adorama, Tamarkin, Samy's - all show back order status and none are able to provide a time line for availability.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011   #106
smile
why so serious?
 
smile's Avatar
 
smile is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Age: 34
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkays View Post
To those that have bought this lens in the US, where are they most readily in stock? B&H, Adorama, Tamarkin, Samy's - all show back order status and none are able to provide a time line for availability.
they are widely available all over
a friend of mine bought one recently for 990 euros. just keep looking

Last edited by smile : 01-22-2011 at 16:44.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011   #107
fotoingo
Registered User
 
fotoingo is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
they are widely available all over
a friend of mine bought one recently for 990 euros. just keep looking
I guess you mean the old Summilux without -Asph- ?
They sell in the one thousand Euro range AND are widely available.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011   #108
slantface
Jordan Dickinson
 
slantface is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 35
Posts: 474
Leica M9
Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH


the catherine - 50mm Summilux ASPH by slantface, on Flickr


the catherine - 50mm Summilux ASPH by slantface, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011   #109
slantface
Jordan Dickinson
 
slantface is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 35
Posts: 474
Leica M9
Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH


303 Magazine Denver Fashion Week - 1 by slantface, on Flickr


303 Magazine Denver Fashion Week - 2 by slantface, on Flickr


303 Magazine Denver Fashion Week - 3 by slantface, on Flickr


303 Magazine Denver Fashion Week - 6 by slantface, on Flickr


303 Magazine Denver Fashion Week - 5 by slantface, on Flickr


303 Magazine Denver Fashion Week - 7 by slantface, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011   #110
mooge
Registered User
 
mooge is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austenite Bay, Canada
Age: 24
Posts: 865
fantastic colours, Jordan... both posts...
__________________
ravens racing on tumblr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011   #111
jmkays
Registered User
 
jmkays's Avatar
 
jmkays is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
they are widely available all over
a friend of mine bought one recently for 990 euros. just keep looking
Hi. No, I'm looking for Leica's new 50/1.4 asph (Mfr# 11891). Not easy to find in the US. Very difficult. Our largest resellers like Adorama and B&H get one or two in every 2-3 months. They typically are sold before they hit the shelf.

Is the lens easier to come by in Europe? Wouldn't think so, because they aren't available from foreign sellers on eBay either. Typically even the difficult to find Leica gear is available from Hong Kong, but not this lens!

Nice photos, btw! Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Boundless intemperance in nature is a tyranny.
- Macbeth, Act IV, Scene III
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2011   #112
smile
why so serious?
 
smile's Avatar
 
smile is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Age: 34
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkays View Post
Hi. No, I'm looking for Leica's new 50/1.4 asph (Mfr# 11891). Not easy to find in the US. Very difficult. Our largest resellers like Adorama and B&H get one or two in every 2-3 months. They typically are sold before they hit the shelf.

Is the lens easier to come by in Europe? Wouldn't think so, because they aren't available from foreign sellers on eBay either. Typically even the difficult to find Leica gear is available from Hong Kong, but not this lens!

Nice photos, btw! Thanks for sharing.
so why not to buy used in mint condition?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2011   #113
jmkays
Registered User
 
jmkays's Avatar
 
jmkays is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
so why not to buy used in mint condition?
I'm open to that, but haven't seen one listed here, on L-forum or eBay. Pre-asph, yes, but not this latest lens.
__________________
Boundless intemperance in nature is a tyranny.
- Macbeth, Act IV, Scene III
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011   #114
smile
why so serious?
 
smile's Avatar
 
smile is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Age: 34
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkays View Post
I'm open to that, but haven't seen one listed here, on L-forum or eBay. Pre-asph, yes, but not this latest lens.
there was one for $3500 here in classifieds the day you posted your first message
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011   #115
jmkays
Registered User
 
jmkays's Avatar
 
jmkays is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
there was one for $3500 here in classifieds the day you posted your first message
Might well have been, as I was searching for a new lens at that time. If mint is selling at/near the price point of new, will hold out for new.
__________________
Boundless intemperance in nature is a tyranny.
- Macbeth, Act IV, Scene III
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011   #116
77seriesiii
Registered User
 
77seriesiii is offline
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10
A question for the group about this lens and its older siblings. I've been shooting LF and MF for a long time and have come back to 35mm, just so easy to carry and great for spontaneous shots. I've come across a '64 version of the 50mm Summilux 1.4, how does it compare w/ the new lens? I understand that the new ones are coated and have corrections. I'll be honest on a gov't employee's salary I'm not up to shelling out $3k for lens...at least not yet.

We have a '68 M4 and are using a 28mm elmarit 2.8, shooting B&W and transparency films all developed at home. I didnt think I would get hooked on a RF but what a blast! I bought the camera for my wife's b-day (coming up and she doesnt know about it...the camera not her b-day ). I am going to have a hard time wrapping this up and giving it to her!

Anyway, if anyone out there has used the older version of this lens it would be great if I could hear about it.

Thanks

Erick

Last edited by 77seriesiii : 04-14-2011 at 12:48.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2011   #117
furcafe
Registered User
 
furcafe's Avatar
 
furcafe is offline
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Age: 50
Posts: 4,255
For pre-ASP shots:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=72956

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77seriesiii View Post
A question for the group about this lens and its older siblings. I've been shooting LF and MF for a long time and have come back to 35mm, just so easy to carry and great for spontaneous shots. I've come across a '64 version of the 50mm Summilux 1.4, how does it compare w/ the new lens? I understand that the new ones are coated and have corrections. I'll be honest on a gov't employee's salary I'm not up to shelling out $3k for lens...at least not yet.

We have a '68 M4 and are using a 28mm elmarit 2.8, shooting B&W and transparency films all developed at home. I didnt think I would get hooked on a RF but what a blast! I bought the camera for my wife's b-day (coming up and she doesnt know about it...the camera not her b-day ). I am going to have a hard time wrapping this up and giving it to her!

Anyway, if anyone out there has used the older version of this lens it would be great if I could hear about it.

Thanks

Erick
__________________
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011   #118
77seriesiii
Registered User
 
77seriesiii is offline
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10
furcafe,

thanks. Stupid of me, I've actually been reading that thread...didnt make the connection.

./e
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011   #119
slantface
Jordan Dickinson
 
slantface is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 35
Posts: 474
Leica M7
Leica Summilux 50mm f1.4 ASPH
Kodak Portra 400 VC


the performer by slantface, on Flickr


Leica M9
Leica Summilux 50mm f1.4 ASPH


the pair by slantface, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2011   #120
slantface
Jordan Dickinson
 
slantface is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 35
Posts: 474

the lion by slantface, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:24.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.