Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Martin Parr - New BBC One Ident Campaign
Old 01-02-2017   #1
Brian Atherton

Martin Parr - New BBC One Ident Campaign

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38486283

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 01-02-2017   #2
underlord

Nice find Brian. I had no idea the current idents (I had to look that up) had been going for ten years. Be good to see some new ones from Mr. Parr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/underlord/albums/

Old 01-02-2017   #3
charjohncarter

Thanks, I wish it was more detailed so us outside of London could enjoy the photos. The video in BBC fashion was a downer.

Old 01-02-2017   #4
BlackXList

I've never "got" Martin Parr, that's not intended as a criticism, I'm entirely open to the possibility that I might be missing something.

Does anyone have a link to any kind of evaluation, or discussion of his work that might enlighten me?

Old 01-02-2017   #5
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXList View Post
I've never "got" Martin Parr
You are not alone...

Old 01-03-2017   #6
BlackXList

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
You are not alone...
I know that he's always divided opinion, but also that the problem might be on my side.

There are a few photographers that I just don't get, but before I get too ranty, I always hope to find someone who can enlighten me.

Old 01-03-2017   #7
CliveC

I may not "get" Martin Parr either, but his style is fairly recognizably his. However, that's in relation to other famous photographers. If you put up his photos next to amateur photos people take on holidays, that may be a more difficult proposition.

From interviews I've seen of him talking about photography, it's clear he knows the craft and the history.

Old 01-03-2017   #8
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXList View Post
I've never "got" Martin Parr, that's not intended as a criticism, I'm entirely open to the possibility that I might be missing something.
Does anyone have a link to any kind of evaluation, or discussion of his work that might enlighten me?
The Brits/Aussies have a different sense of humour to the rest of the world.
Photography is an expression of one self. Therefore being a Brit i would imagine Martin enjoys his Goons, Monty Python etc etc comedy
I see that in his photography.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 01-03-2017   #9
BlackXList

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
The Brits/Aussies have a different sense of humour to the rest of the world.
Photography is an expression of one self. Therefore being a Brit i would imagine Martin enjoys his Goons, Monty Python etc etc comedy
I see that in his photography.
I'm a Brit, and although both of those were technically before my time, I've appreciated them (obviously out of their original context though).