Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Scanners / Scanner Software

Epson Scan + v800 all of a sudden scanning everything pure green!!
Old 12-27-2016   #1
moodlover

Epson Scan + v800 all of a sudden scanning everything pure green!!

Ive scanned thousands of times with my Epson V800 and today while scanning a roll, suddenly everything scans all green!!! I am using a V800 on a Mac, and ive tried re-installing the software 3 times, even on a new user account. I've tried resetting the software totally in the configuration dialog with no luck! Pure green (0, 255, 0) every time!!! Silverfast SE 8 still scans fine but I dont use that software because theres little to no way to boost shadows to soften contrast as far as I know. Please help if you know whats going on!

Old 12-28-2016   #2
shimokita
白黒

assuming you are scanning negatives (?)... what happens if you try to scan a print and/or if you try to scan as B&W. If a different application scans correctly then most likely it's the application, a driver, or combination of OS/application/driver.

I am sure someone over at Epson support will reply eventually ; )

Old 12-28-2016   #3
Nikos72

I can see that you have "touched" the curves. Epson Scan rarely assigns gamma 1.00 to color film.
Reset it to auto. If that fails too, uninstall and re-install.

Old 12-28-2016   #4
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I scan using Vuescan software, and a while ago "touched" something accidently and ended up with yellow scans.
I was able to get the problem corrected by using the "Calibrate" feature in the software.
I assume there is a similar feature in the Epson software which should correct your problem.
Robert

Old 12-28-2016   #5
moodlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimokita View Post
assuming you are scanning negatives (?)... what happens if you try to scan a print and/or if you try to scan as B&W. If a different application scans correctly then most likely it's the application, a driver, or combination of OS/application/driver.

I am sure someone over at Epson support will reply eventually ; )
Yes I am scanning both color and b&w negatives. If I try to scan a print/reflective surface it works fine. B&W negatives scan perfectly! I hope they help

Old 12-28-2016   #6
moodlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
I can see that you have "touched" the curves. Epson Scan rarely assigns gamma 1.00 to color film.
Reset it to auto. If that fails too, uninstall and re-install.
As stated in the op, I already reset all the settings and uninstalled with their uninstaller app and re-installed multiple times, no luck! And no, the curves is not touched, not sure where you got that? That 'tone curve viewer' always looks like that.

Old 12-28-2016   #7
sepiareverb
genius and moron

purest green!

Old 12-28-2016   #8
moodlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Sorry, not sure what this has to do with my issue?

Old 12-28-2016   #9
xvvvz

What did Epson support advise when you called them?

Doug

Old 12-28-2016   #10
bhop73

There's nothing around the edges of the glass is there? I once had a similar issue that was caused by something near the edge of the glass during the pre-scan. (some thing I was using to smash the film flat) I moved it a little inward and the problem went away.

Old 12-28-2016   #11
moodlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvvvz View Post
What did Epson support advise when you called them?

Doug
Just called them, they said they have no idea why this happens since it works perfect with Silverfast and not Epson Scan. I wonder why their programming team didnt bother to get involved. Basically theyre sending a refurb replacement cause they dont know why this happens, and claiming its a possible hardware failure. Sad that only after a year the epson v800 failed on me, would not recommend this scanner anymore.

Old 12-28-2016   #12
moodlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhop73 View Post
There's nothing around the edges of the glass is there? I once had a similar issue that was caused by something near the edge of the glass during the pre-scan. (some thing I was using to smash the film flat) I moved it a little inward and the problem went away.
No, nothing. I have been using it over a year with no issues until today so I would know if I did anything different. The calibration area is totally clear, Ive tried both film holder and no film holder.

Epson Scan Reflective: works fine
Epson Scan B&W Film: works fine
Epson Scan Color Negative Film: previews green, scans output as magenta (updated)

Old 12-28-2016   #13
Scapevision
90% Film

Did you select the actual frame of film without the holder included? Also a picture of your initial scan page could be helpful

Old 12-28-2016   #14
moodlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapevision View Post
Did you select the actual frame of film without the holder included? Also a picture of your initial scan page could be helpful
Of course, but it shouldn't matter what im selecting. I am not using any sort of auto setting where it matters what I select or dont, everything is manual. No settings were changed from my normal settings when this happened. Even with 0 film in the scanner this problem happens (shown below). The scan is only reading in one channel (g).

Works perfect with Silverfast:

This problem happens on two computers out of no where which boggles my mind! I have to use Silverfast now but Epson Scan gives me gorgeous smooth tones sometimes that I just cant get from SF...

Old 12-28-2016   #15
charjohncarter

Not sure what is going on but your scanner is obviously working fine; something is wrong with your Epson software or maybe using two softwares at the same time (or a MAC interference).

Old 12-28-2016   #16
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodlover View Post
Ive scanned thousands of times with my Epson V800 and today while scanning a roll, suddenly everything scans all green!!! I am using a V800 on a Mac, and ive tried re-installing the software 3 times, even on a new user account. I've tried resetting the software totally in the configuration dialog with no luck! Pure green (0, 255, 0) every time!!! Silverfast SE 8 still scans fine but I dont use that software because theres little to no way to boost shadows to soften contrast as far as I know. Please help if you know whats going on!

Quote:
Just called them, they said they have no idea why this happens since it works perfect with Silverfast and not Epson Scan. I wonder why their programming team didnt bother to get involved. Basically theyre sending a refurb replacement cause they dont know why this happens, and claiming its a possible hardware failure. Sad that only after a year the epson v800 failed on me, would not recommend this scanner anymore.
Given that it is sounding a lot like a software problem, and they're sending you out a replacement unit I'm not sure what you have to complain about because they're clearly looking after you. Apart from which, with your original post showing a scan dimension of 25,000 pixels and over four gigabytes, unless you're running your scans throigh a NASA supercomputer, the colour of them is the least of your problems.

Old 12-28-2016   #17
Scapevision
90% Film

Try to install an older version maybe, see if it makes any difference. Epson scan is automatically doing the correction to the scans out of the box. You need to force it not to. Assuming you have, this definitely doesn't sound like a hardware issue, or it would have been seen in other software. Can also try wiggle the cable connecting top and bottom of the scanner. I also remember there was an issue with Epson scan on some osx version.

Old 12-28-2016   #18
moodlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Given that it is sounding a lot like a software problem, and they're sending you out a replacement unit I'm not sure what you have to complain about because they're clearly looking after you. Apart from which, with your original post showing a scan dimension of 25,000 pixels and over four gigabytes, unless you're running your scans throigh a NASA supercomputer, the colour of them is the least of your problems.
Clever response, I wish it was useful.

If its a software issue, then how do you know replacing the hardware will help? As a customer I have every right to look for a solution. You call it "complaining" but im just trying to get it going again since this is my workhorse. Great theyre sending a replacement, props to Epson but it means major delays in my scanning. And I wont buy this scanner again if it's lifespan is only a year. I can say that if I wish.

Have you ever scanned anything before? 25,000 pixels is just the marquee selection size because the entire scan area of the flatbed is selected. It shrinks and grows depending on what you select.

Old 12-28-2016   #19
moodlover

Quote:
Try to install an older version maybe, see if it makes any difference. Epson scan is automatically doing the correction to the scans out of the box. You need to force it not to. Assuming you have, this definitely doesn't sound like a hardware issue, or it would have been seen in other software. Can also try wiggle the cable connecting top and bottom of the scanner. I also remember there was an issue with Epson scan on some osx version.
I tried this 10 times now, using a version from last year that originally worked. I tried on both OSX 10.8.5 and 10.12, no luck!

Old 12-28-2016   #20
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Clever response, I wish it was useful.

If its a software issue, then how do you know replacing the hardware will help? As a customer I have every right to look for a solution. You call it "complaining" but im just trying to get it going again since this is my workhorse. Great theyre sending a replacement, props to Epson but it means major delays in my scanning. And I wont buy this scanner again if it's lifespan is only a year. I can say that if I wish.

Have you ever scanned anything before? 25,000 pixels is just the marquee selection size because the entire scan area of the flatbed is selected. It shrinks and grows depending on what you select.
Hi,
I've been using Epson Scan for around 8 or 9 years (with the 800s predecessor, the V700). So yes, I've scanned with it a bit. By the sound of it, more than you. My point (perhaps I was being too obscure) is that, with settings like that you do not present yourself as a user who is intimately acquainted with the software. I personally suspect there may be some user error involved. Regarding complaining, perhaps I should have been clearer, I was actually referring to their service but I could have expressed that better. Sorry. Of course, you want a fully functional process (is that not self evident to all of us?). I still think you've done pretty well though, because by your own admission, its working OK with Silverfast, but you are still getting a brand new scanner. Personally, I think that's a pretty decent start, even if you may not.

I do have a tip for you that might be useful. Find your temp file (or whatever a mac has that passes for that) and ensure any twain files or temp folders that Epson Scan has created are deleted. Empty your trash can or whatever it's called on a Mac. Uninstall the software. Reboot. Download it from Epson's site and re-install.

I use a PC with Windows but can vouch from years of previous experience with Epson Scan that these leftover folders and files can be the source of various glitches including Eg. failure to preview frames correctly and refusal of scans to process for frames that have digital ICE enabled. No guarantees it will work for a Mac also but it's certainly worth a shot as it's cost neutral. Apologies for not suggesting this in my previous post (my posts are, believe it or not, often helpful) but I only just recalled it. Seriously. It's been a three cup of coffee day for me, today.
Regards
Brett

Old 12-28-2016   #21
moodlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Hi,
I've been using Epson Scan for around 8 or 9 years (with the 800s predecessor, the V700). So yes, I've scanned with it a bit. By the sound of it, more than you. My point (perhaps I was being too obscure) is that, with settings like that you do not present yourself as a user who is intimately acquainted with the software. I personally suspect there may be some user error involved. Regarding complaining, perhaps I should have been clearer, I was actually referring to their service but I could have expressed that better. Sorry. Of course, you want a fully functional process (is that not self evident to all of us?). I still think you've done pretty well though, because by your own admission, its working OK with Silverfast, but you are still getting a brand new scanner. Personally, I think that's a pretty decent start, even if you may not.

I do have a tip for you that might be useful. Find your temp file (or whatever a mac has that passes for that) and ensure any twain files or temp folders that Epson Scan has created are deleted. Empty your trash can or whatever it's called on a Mac. Uninstall the software. Reboot. Download it from Epson's site and re-install.

I use a PC with Windows but can vouch from years of previous experience with Epson Scan that these leftover folders and files can be the source of various glitches including Eg. failure to preview frames correctly and refusal of scans to process for frames that have digital ICE enabled. No guarantees it will work for a Mac also but it's certainly worth a shot as it's cost neutral. Apologies for not suggesting this in my previous post (my posts are, believe it or not, often helpful) but I only just recalled it. Seriously. It's been a three cup of coffee day for me, today.
Regards
Brett
I've scanned thousands of medium format negatives on this, promise that I am "intimately acquainted" with this scanner and it's softwares both Epson Scan and SilverFast (even if the screenshots show otherwise). Epson Scan has forced me to learn what every window and button does but this issue is a total curveball. With a fresh install on a totally different computer and 0 film in the scanner, it gives pure green output. Since you are so much more experienced than me, you should know that this isn't normal, should not be happening, and is not user error. There can't be user error when it gives this output by itself with a fresh reset. There is a reason for the "settings like that". Its because its completely reset. There are no settings that change or affect the pure green preview, not in the configuration window, and certainly not in any of the image adjustment tools. The preview should be pure black but it's not.

I never complained about their service, not sure where you got that. Their service was excellent. I am not receiving a brand new scanner. Replacements are all refurbished, and who knows how many problems that one had or how long it will last as well. I am complaining about their hardware, but I guess $800 for a scanner is considered low-end.

Regarding your tip, I switched completely to a computer that never had Epson Scan installed and before I did anything an empty preview shows pure green. It shouldn't, it should show black as you know. Thanks for the tip I'll see if I can give it a go anyway.

Edit: deleted the epson temp files, uninstalled with epson's uninstaller, emptied trash, rebooted, reinstalled, same issue.

Old 12-29-2016   #22
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
. I also remember there was an issue with Epson scan on some osx version.
That is I think unrelated to this issue. The version of software El Capitan from 10.11.4 required a software patch:

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...26amp%3Btc%3D6

The problem was "stalling" between scans of a strip and unrelated to output quality.
No one AFAIK reported colour issues without the patch applied.

For what it is worth my guess is it is a calibration problem. (Green lines are sometimes reported if the glass has been cleaned, inside, and dust gets on the calibration area and "contaminates" it. The other software may be reading the calibration output differently than the native Epsom, I suspect the "new" scanner will work and that it is indeed a hardware problem. If repeated installs and different computers show the problem it has to be the scanner itself IMHO.

https://www.instagram.com/chris.livsey/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 12-29-2016   #24
shimokita
白黒

Frustrating...

the fact that it works with prints, B&W negatives, and different software seems to indicate that it's not a hardware related problem. I am still putting my money on a problem with drivers and/or OS-application conflicts (which don't always get cleaned up when you reinstall the application). Assuming you haven't done any recent system changes or updates (including automatic OS fixes)... it's interesting that tech support would send a new / replacement hardware... they must suspect something or are just buying time. If an old computer system is available then testing on that equipment might be an option, but I understand the frustration of these types of problems...

Please provide an update when the issue is resolved.

Old 12-29-2016   #25
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
When I've experienced a software problem I can't resolve, I roll the computer back to a time I knew it to be working normally. I've always had success. Are you able to do such a thing on a Mac?
Pete
Yes it's called "Time Machine" but as the OPsays a fresh install on another box still doesn't work and the failure was half way through a roll my money stays on hardware, which is what Epson obviously think as well shipping a fresh unit out, not the first fix for a software issue
As seen elsewhere the green is indicative of a calibration issue, hardware related.

https://www.instagram.com/chris.livsey/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 12-29-2016   #26
moodlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
For what it is worth my guess is it is a calibration problem. (Green lines are sometimes reported if the glass has been cleaned, inside, and dust gets on the calibration area and "contaminates" it. The other software may be reading the calibration output differently than the native Epsom, I suspect the "new" scanner will work and that it is indeed a hardware problem. If repeated installs and different computers show the problem it has to be the scanner itself IMHO.
Yes I know any little obstruction in the calibration area causes lines and artifacts in the scan but this scanner was never opened or cleaned inside. The most I did was wipe the surface of the glass once in a while. I agree, because the same issue happens on two different computers I am also suspecting its a hardware issue now too, perhaps Silverfasts output is a fluke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
When I've experienced a software problem I can't resolve, I roll the computer back to a time I knew it to be working normally. I've always had success. Are you able to do such a thing on a Mac?
Pete
You are, but no OS or Epson Scan update was made when this randomly started happening. Switching to a different computer and older version of Epson Scan also gave the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimokita View Post
Please provide an update when the issue is resolved.
The replacement is coming today, will provide update asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
Yes it's called "Time Machine" but as the OPsays a fresh install on another box still doesn't work and the failure was half way through a roll my money stays on hardware, which is what Epson obviously think as well shipping a fresh unit out, not the first fix for a software issue
As seen elsewhere the green is indicative of a calibration issue, hardware related.
Yes totally different computer and same issue so I dont think OS is the issue here. We'll see tonight I guess!

Old 12-29-2016   #27
Glenn2

Some years back I had a problem that was very difficult to diagnose. Turned out it was a bad cable to the device, one of the connections had gotten flakey. A new cable fixed the problem.

Scanners can sometimes be fussy with communications, I have a Nikon CS-5000 that refuses to run unless the computer (windows 7) is operated at reduced clock speed.

Glenn

Old 12-29-2016   #28
moodlover

Update:

Changed the usb cable, plugged in the replaement scanner. SAME problem, even on a third computer!

I tested it on VueScan as well, also green scans.

If I changed computers, changed scanners, changed softwares, I am totally out of ideas what could be causing this...I feel like its time to sell it and jump ship to a more expensive Plustek

Old 12-29-2016   #30
moodlover

The epson support guy whos been in their scanner dept 18 years says he has no idea why this happens as no one else has reported an identical issue.

I want to blame it on the fact that all 3 computers are macs but why would my scanner have been working for 16 months on 2 of these macs before and all of a sudden not now?

Old 12-29-2016   #31
moodlover

How 48-bit color negative scans are coming out: previews green, 0 green information in actual scan:

Could this be one of those unsolvable problems?

Old 12-29-2016   #32
Netsoft2k

Did the replacement unit contain a new top lid as well? Can you check if your transmission bulb lights up normal and if there is a difference when switching software.

Are you scanning using film holders and have you tried to scan without them?

This is quite bizarre indeed.

Old 12-29-2016   #33
charjohncarter

Like I said before your scanner is working or you wouldn't get a good result with your silver scan or whatever it is called.

Why don't you try this (it is from one of our RFF members):

http://www.coltonallen.com/getting-t...epson-flatbed/

Old 12-29-2016   #34
Scapevision
90% Film

Maybe try it with "No color correction" selected and see if it makes a difference. Try the different ones available if this doesn't make a difference. Alternatively, when in the "Histogram Adjustment" try to select the green channel only and see what the histogram looks like there. Maybe just somehow there's some adjustment made to it out of nowhere? Another thing to try is set 24bit color and see if it makes a difference. The replacement scanner makes it look like it's a definite software issue within Epson Scan or some kind of miscommunication between Epson Scan and OS in terms of video driver or color space (EpsonRGB as default).

One more thing. Try to scan with 1200dpi and all other settings the same, see if it makes a difference. I've had issues when computer couldn't handle extra large files and gave some weird output before.

Old 12-29-2016   #35
moodlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsoft2k View Post
Did the replacement unit contain a new top lid as well? Can you check if your transmission bulb lights up normal and if there is a difference when switching software.

Are you scanning using film holders and have you tried to scan without them?
What is "new top lid"? The bulbs all light up the same regardless of software. I am not using any film holders. I am even trying without any film at all! Just scanning empty glass and it gives this green preview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Like I said before your scanner is working or you wouldn't get a good result with your silver scan or whatever it is called.

Why don't you try this (it is from one of our RFF members):

http://www.coltonallen.com/getting-t...epson-flatbed/
Either the scanners are both working or both defective, very hard to tell but im having a tough time believing both have this bizarre issue. The link you sent is one of the best ive ever I used almost 2 years ago ago to learn how to color correct on Epson Scan, but it is unrelated to this issue since I cannot even get a preview.

Quote:
Maybe try it with "No color correction" selected and see if it makes a difference. Try the different ones available if this doesn't make a difference. Alternatively, when in the "Histogram Adjustment" try to select the green channel only and see what the histogram looks like there. Maybe just somehow there's some adjustment made to it out of nowhere? Another thing to try is set 24bit color and see if it makes a difference. The replacement scanner makes it look like it's a definite software issue within Epson Scan or some kind of miscommunication between Epson Scan and OS in terms of video driver or color space (EpsonRGB as default).

One more thing. Try to scan with 1200dpi and all other settings the same, see if it makes a difference. I've had issues when computer couldn't handle extra large files and gave some weird output before.
Tried all the color configurations, same issue. No color correct just deactivates color adjustment tools but doesnt fix the problem. 24-bit color does not make a difference. I am trying to blame Epson Scan but remember that VueScan gives identical green previews so its hard to figure out whats going on.

I've scanned tons and tons of 3200dpi files no issue at all though the last red/blue image I posted previously was at 1200dpi for speed's sake.

Here is what the histogram green channel shows and moving the sliders does nothing:

My mouse was over the preview at the time of this screenshot. Bizarre that the densitometer reads green:255 yet the histogram shows no green data...

Old 12-29-2016   #36
moodlover

Just scanned a comparison of EpsonScan vs Silverfast SE so you guys can get an idea of what a difference:

Old 12-29-2016   #37
Scapevision
90% Film

So your green channel goes completely white. I missed the part about vuescan, maybe it is a hardware issue of some kind. What's the difference in output settings when you are using silverfast? Are you using some kind of color adjustment or color space there? I'm assuming you tried both scanners with different usb ports and different cables, right?
The top lid of the scanner comes off and you can interchange them between scanners.
One other thing, have you tried scanning an old negative you have scanned correctly before and see if it comes out green now? That would rule out development issue.

Old 12-29-2016   #38
moodlover

Quote:
So your green channel goes completely white. I missed the part about vuescan, maybe it is a hardware issue of some kind. What's the difference in output settings when you are using silverfast? Are you using some kind of color adjustment or color space there? I'm assuming you tried both scanners with different usb ports and different cables, right?
The top lid of the scanner comes off and you can interchange them between scanners.
One other thing, have you tried scanning an old negative you have scanned correctly before and see if it comes out green now? That would rule out development issue.
I would say hardware issue as well but two different scanners, 3 different computers, 2 different usb cables...no difference so its hard to pinpoint the issue. I just posted the difference in output if you refresh the page and look at my last reply. There are no "settings" that are special to silverfast, it automatically reads a proper preview and spits out perfect color (though Epson's tones are usually much smoother being my SF is only 24bit).

It cant be anything related to the negatives because this issue occurs with no film in the scanner and as I showed above, my home development is spot on!

Old 12-29-2016   #39
shimokita
白黒

Just to touch all bases, what OS are you using...

Epson Japan indicates the following are supported:

OS X Mountain Lion (Mac OS 10.8) / OS X Lion (Mac OS 10.11) / OS X Yosemite (Mac OS 10.10) / OS X Majoricks (Mac OS 10.9) / OS X Mountain Lion Mac OS 10.7) / Mac OS X 10.6 (Intel) / Mac OS X 10.5 (Intel / PPC)

Old 12-29-2016   #40
moodlover

Three computers:

None work...I dont know if its an OS issue since it worked fine with these for 16 months prior