Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Louis Stettner - RIP Oct 2016
Old 10-16-2016   #1
icebear

Louis Stettner - RIP Oct 2016

Here an article of the NY Times from yesterday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/15/ar...dead.html?_r=0

QUOTE[
Louis Stettner, a photographer who explored the streets of the two cities he called his “spiritual mothers,” New York and Paris, recording the daily lives of ordinary people, died on Thursday at his home in Saint-Ouen, France. He was 93.
His death was announced by the Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris.

Mr. Stettner, a New Yorker, was a product of the Photo League and its emphasis on socially conscious, documentary work, exemplified by members and supporters like Weegee, Berenice Abbott and Robert Frank. “I have never been interested in photographs based solely on aesthetics, divorced from reality,” he wrote in his photo collection “Wisdom Cries Out in the Streets,” published in 1999. “I also doubt very much whether this is possible.”

While living in Paris after World War II, he also found inspiration in a new wave of French photographers, including Robert Doisneau, Brassaļ and Henri Cartier-Bresson, whose outlook seemed to dovetail with the league’s. He was particularly taken with Brassaļ. “Brassaļ showed me that it was possible to find something significant in photographing subjects in everyday life doing ordinary things by interpreting them in your own way and with your own personal vision,” Mr. Stettner told The Financial Times in June.
]UNQUOTE

Louis Stettner doesn't seem to be well known here in the US. Back as a teenager when photography sparked my interest I got a couple of cheap poster size prints of his New York shots that had on my room walls. I will get to my book shelf and revisit some of his work.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 10-16-2016   #2
ASA 32

Deserving of more attention, definitely.

Old 10-16-2016   #3
Erik van Straten

In the Leica-literature of the 1950's his name is often encountered. I very much enjoyed his work. In later years he seemed to have disappeared.

Erik.

Old 10-18-2016   #4
Anthony Harvey

Thank you very much for this.

I've always loved his photographs. My favourite is of two children in the Rue des Martyrs, Paris, taken in 1951. It's of a boy of about ten pulling a girl of about eight along in Paris street, trying to hurry her up. They could be going home from school. It's so typical of childhood, so carefree, and the girl's face is so expressive. A great picture.

I'm probably not allowed to show it here but those who are interested can google "Louis Stettner Rue des Martyrs 1951" to get straight to it.