Sony 18-105mm not recognized by NEX 6
Old 09-22-2016   #1
Mazurka

Unhappy Sony 18-105mm not recognized by NEX 6

Just received a used one sent from B&H. Looks no different from a new lens and came with everything in the box. However, it only works at 18mm with my NEX 6. It does not focus at other focal lengths, and cannot go longer than about 50mm. I can see through the finder that the distortion is not corrected at some focal lengths by camera, clearly not recognizing the lens. I have cleaned the lens contacts but it doesn't help, nor does turning on or off the "release without lens" function.

My NEX 6 has the latest 1.03 firmware and works perfectly with the 16-50 and 55-210. When the 18-105 stops working, the camera displays the aperture value "F--", which further confirms poor contact from the lens.

If I send it back to B&H, will they repair it? Or is it better to request a refund? Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-25-2016   #2
chrishayton

It's likely a broken ribbon cable inside. You see it a lot with canon zoom lenses. Send it back and see if they will repair it. It's a simple fix