Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Konica RF / Zeiss Ikon ZM Leica Mount Rangefinders

Konica RF / Zeiss Ikon ZM Leica Mount Rangefinders Konica and Zeiss versions of the AE electronic film rangefinder camera

Old 04-26-2016   #41
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
Gorgeous stuff, Michael. Almost makes me want to go back to 35mm rangefinders. But, when i saw the price of this lens, i 'remembered' i prefer SLRs.... Wish there were an SLR lens that performed like this.

Great eye, great photography, and thank you for executing them ON FILM.
Thanks a lot Dexter, I appreciate that comment.

Hi Huss, sorry but I don't think I have ever used Ektar film so I can't compare it.

A couple of more photos from India.

[/url]Jodhpur, India by

Jodhpur, India by

Jodhpur, India by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 04-27-2016   #42
fer_fdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
This image is striking, Michael. She is about to jump up to prevent you from taking another photo of her.
I'd say she is smiling

Old 04-27-2016   #43
ian_watts
Ian Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbialecki View Post
[/url]Jodhpur, India by [url=[/IMG]
Interesting film (which i hadn't previously heard of). It has perhaps a "Kodak Gold" type palette that I wouldn't normally find myself drawn to but the colour works wonderfully in many of these photographs (and this one in particular).

Old 04-27-2016   #44
splitimageview

This film reminds me of Kodachrome (RIP.)

$15 for a 5 pack? I may inquire if you'd be willing to source some of this film.

Old 04-27-2016   #45
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

Great work, Michael!
A wonderful combo of the lens, the film of choice, the place and most importantly, skill.

Old 04-27-2016   #46
Huss

Quote:
Thanks a lot Dexter, I appreciate that comment.

Hi Huss, sorry but I don't think I have ever used Ektar film so I can't compare it.

A couple of more photos from India.

[/url]Jodhpur, India by

Jodhpur, India by

cheers, michael
These are so good Michael and really shows the strength of film. Almost all the other 'current' images shown from India are shot on digital with the colours pumped up to super saturated cartoonish levels.

Best regards
Huss

Old 04-27-2016   #47
michaelbialecki

Thanks a lot guys for the comments and the feedback, I had a lot of fun on my last trip to India.

Hey splitimageview, that is an interesting idea

I am going through all of my photos from that trip and I am trying to find the ones that I am absolute sure that were shot with my Zeiss (sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel).

I saw this boy walk by me and we made eye contact and I just knew that I had to take a photo of his eyes.
[/url]Jaipur, India by

Jaipur, India by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 04-27-2016   #48
janorun974

Great photos Guys, what a colorful lens, beautiful rendering with films...
I know i need this lens now

Old 04-27-2016   #49
michaelbialecki

I just went through some of my photos and I found a couple of more that were shot with the Zeiss. They really stand out compared to the photos that I shot with my Leica 28mm Elmarit which I used for the majority of my photos on my trip.

This guy helped me out so much and was very nice to me that I had to take his photo before we parted ways.
[/url]Jodhpur, India by

Jodhpur, India by

Jaipur, India by

This "self portrait" was taken during my first hour in India, it was my first time back there since 2005 and I was so excited to be back that I started shooting as soon as I got off the plane. I still have my backpack on and I think you can see my Domke camera bag hanging off of my shoulder and my Sekonic 358 light meter attached to my belt.

cheers, michael

Old 04-27-2016   #50
Huss

Ok, please explain what is being done to that man's face!

Old 04-27-2016   #51
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Ok, please explain what is being done to that man's face!
I think he is getting the second treatment of a shave. I got shaved twice while I was there and I remember that they usually shave you twice in one sitting. I think that man is going through the second part of the shave treatment. I had my eyes closed both times so I am just speculating here, but I think that is what is happening. That big bottle that the barber is holding/spraying is just water.

cheers, michael

Old 04-27-2016   #52
jkjod

I used to have the ZM 35 Distagon The only thing that turned me off was the size - although if my results were anything like yours I'd had a harder time selling it! I absolutely love your images, will follow along on Flickr from now on for sure. If nothing else I will be trying some Kodak Pro 100 now for sure. Bravo!

Old 04-27-2016   #53
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjod View Post
I used to have the ZM 35 Distagon The only thing that turned me off was the size - although if my results were anything like yours I'd had a harder time selling it! I absolutely love your images, will follow along on Flickr from now on for sure. If nothing else I will be trying some Kodak Pro 100 now for sure. Bravo!
Thanks a lot jkjod, I hope you enjoy the Kodak Pro Image 100.

I wish I would of composed this shot better, actually there are lots of things that I wish would of done better with this shot, but I was so enamored by her "look" that I wasn't thinking clearly.
[/url]Jodhpur, India by

Jodhpur, India by

This guy was hanging out at my favorite "chai wallah" stand, I would go there at least 3 times a day to drink chai, hang out with the locals and of course take photos. At one point, I contemplated just following around the chai wallahs all day and take photos of them. For those who don't know, chai wallahs are people who walk around the street and sell cups of chai (tea) to the local people and shops.

cheers, michael

Old 04-27-2016   #54
Huss

Quote:
I think he is getting the second treatment of a shave. I got shaved twice while I was there and I remember that they usually shave you twice in one sitting. I think that man is going through the second part of the shave treatment. I had my eyes closed both times so I am just speculating here, but I think that is what is happening. That big bottle that the barber is holding/spraying is just water.

cheers, michael
They shave the nose and the forehead??

Old 04-28-2016   #55
michaelbialecki

Quote:
They shave the nose and the forehead??
I know this might sound strange to some of you guys, but "YES" they do. I just got back from a haircut an hour ago, and the barber ran a straight razor over my earlobes, temples and a little on my forehead. I just "go with it" and don't say anything when they do that.

[/url]Jodhpur, India by

Jodhpur, India by

cheers, michael

Old 04-28-2016   #56
AlejandroI

Quote:
I know this might sound strange to some of you guys, but "YES" they do. I just got back from a haircut an hour ago, and the barber ran a straight razor over my earlobes, temples and a little on my forehead. I just "go with it" and don't say anything when they do that.

cheers, michael
Hi Michael, absolutely lovely images! Really, really mind blowing the colors, details, composition. Will follow your job in flickr, and if you have a blog please share it!

Old 04-28-2016   #57
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlejandroI View Post
Hi Michael, absolutely lovely images! Really, really mind blowing the colors, details, composition. Will follow your job in flickr, and if you have a blog please share it!
Thanks a lot AlejandroI, I don't have a blog, a website or anything of that nature. I just usually post some of my photos up on Flickr and on this forum.

[/url]Jodhpur, India by

Jaipur, India by

cheers, michael

Old 04-28-2016   #58
AlejandroI

Quote:
Thanks a lot AlejandroI, I don't have a blog, a website or anything of that nature. I just usually post some of my photos up on Flickr and on this forum.

cheers, michael
Thanks, I just add you in flickr. Really impressive work. You are shooting an m6, and which other cameras? How do you do the light measuring, external lightmeter? Its really spot on.

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2016   #59
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlejandroI View Post
Thanks, I just add you in flickr. Really impressive work. You are shooting an m6, and which other cameras? How do you do the light measuring, external lightmeter? Its really spot on.

Thanks!
Hello AlejandroI, I use an M6 TTL and an M6 TTL Millennium and sometimes an M3. I usually just use the meters in my cameras as a general guide and make small adjustments if I feel that the meter is giving me a false reading. When I go on photo trips, like my recent trip to India, I'll carry my Sekonic 358 meter with me, but generally speaking, I just use my built in meters and my judgement .

Cheers, michael

Old 04-28-2016   #60
CK Dexter Haven

Is there a 35mm SLR lens that is 'comparable?' Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or Contax?

Old 04-28-2016   #61
AlejandroI

Quote:
Hello AlejandroI, I use an M6 TTL and an M6 TTL Millennium and sometimes an M3. I usually just use the meters in my cameras as a general guide and make small adjustments if I feel that the meter is giving me a false reading. When I go on photo trips, like my recent trip to India, I'll carry my Sekonic 358 meter with me, but generally speaking, I just use my built in meters and my judgement .

Cheers, michael
Thanks Michael for your reply!

I currently have the Leica 35mm 1.4 pre asph, it's a lovely lens because of its small size, and gets quite sharp by f2.0, but at 1.4 it has this glow that honestly I don't really like and it's not that sharp, also focusing distance has a min of 1m, were I live there is a guy selling his zeiss less than a year of use only owner and no details at all, for around 1.4 k euros, maybe price can be lowered a bit.

Seen your examples makes me think of this lens, and afterwards selling my Leica 35mm, but as I understand the zeiss is quite big and intrusive with a considerable amount of finder blockage.

Have you try the Leica one? How bad is the finder blockage and size according to you?

I don't have money to spare, so probably I will need to sell some stuff afterwards like my rx1...

Once more thanks for your reply and insight! I spend some time in your Flickr and if I was getting results like that with film, I wouldn't have any digital

Old 04-29-2016   #62
michaelbialecki

Hi AlejandroI, send me a PM if you would like to see some comparison shots that I did with the 35mm AsPH pre-FLE and the 35mm FLE. I'm coming from the 35mm 1.2 VC which is a really nice lens, so size to me isn't an issue with any of the above mentioned lenses. I should note that I don't have a hood for my Zeiss, all the stores in Bangkok are sold out of hoods, but I'll buy a hood as soon as I can. I like to have hoods and filters on all of my lenses because I don't use lens caps.

Cheers, michael

Old 04-29-2016   #63
Bendj

Thanks for posting these images Michael, they are truly captivating and so sharp and bright. Makes me want to go travelling again.

Off the cuff how do you find the Zeiss in comparison with the Leica 35's you mention.

All the best,
Ben

Old 04-29-2016   #64
AlejandroI

Quote:
Hi AlejandroI, send me a PM if you would like to see some comparison shots that I did with the 35mm AsPH pre-FLE and the 35mm FLE. I'm coming from the 35mm 1.2 VC which is a really nice lens, so size to me isn't an issue with any of the above mentioned lenses. I should note that I don't have a hood for my Zeiss, all the stores in Bangkok are sold out of hoods, but I'll buy a hood as soon as I can. I like to have hoods and filters on all of my lenses because I don't use lens caps.

Cheers, michael
Thanks! PM On the way

Old 04-29-2016   #65
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendj View Post
Thanks for posting these images Michael, they are truly captivating and so sharp and bright. Makes me want to go travelling again.

Off the cuff how do you find the Zeiss in comparison with the Leica 35's you mention.

All the best,
Ben
Thanks a lot Ben, as far as your question goes, I have been on this forum long enough to know better than to answer that question publicly

All joking aside, I have only used the Leica pre FLE and FLE for a couple of shots, so I don't feel like I know the lenses enough to comment. Something really important that a couple of people have mentioned in another thread in regards to the Leica Summicron ASPH, the pre FLE, the FLE and the Zeiss. They are all very good lenses but the skill of the photographer, the light, the subject etc… are more important than the lens. That said, I am very happy with my Zeiss.

Phra Pathom Chedi (my local temple)
[/url]Nakhon Pathom by

I shot this photo this morning in Bangkok's chinatown
Bangkok by

One of my students
Nakhon Pathom by

One of my students
Nakhon Pathom by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 04-29-2016   #66
michaelbialecki

a couple more
[/url]Bangkok by

Jaipur, India by

Bangkok by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 04-29-2016   #67
michaelbialecki

I don't like the way the lab scanned my most recent roll of Ilford XP2 (see photos above).

I shot this photo below about 2 weeks ago and I much prefer this look. I got them developed at the same lab so I am going to ask if they changed the settings.

[/url]Bangkok by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 04-29-2016   #68
Huss

So good. Are you using an ND filter?

Old 04-29-2016   #69
Huss

Quote:
I don't like the way the lab scanned my most recent roll of Ilford XP2 (see photos above).

I shot this photo below about 2 weeks ago and I much prefer this look. I got them developed at the same lab so I am going to ask if they changed the settings.
Bangkok by
cheers, michael
Yeah the first one has a cyan tone, while the one immediately above is beautifully silvery.

Old 04-29-2016   #70
michaelbialecki

Quote:
So good. Are you using an ND filter?
Thanks. No ND filter, just a regular B+W UV filter.

I just went back and looked at photos from that roll of XP2 that I shot about 2 weeks ago and the scans look very different. Honestly, after getting that roll back I was so pleased with the "look" of the XP2 that I bought 8 more rolls of that film. Now I see how they scanned my photos from yesterday and I am not a fan at all. I will ask them at the lab if / what they did different.

cheers, michael

[/url]Bangkok, Burny and me by

Bangkok, Patrik and Burny by [url=[/IMG]

this one is from the roll that I shot yesterday....looks quite different to me
[IMG]Bangkok by Michael Bialecki, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2016   #71
john_s

That last one looks like dual toning (partial toning as one does with bleach and redevelop toning on a wet print). How that could result from scanning a negative is hard to figure.

Old 04-29-2016   #72
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_s View Post
That last one looks like dual toning (partial toning as one does with bleach and redevelop toning on a wet print). How that could result from scanning a negative is hard to figure.
Thanks for that info John. To be honest, I have no idea what the lab did, I am assuming that they used a different setting when scanning my XP2 (is that even possible ?). I keep lookinng at the photos from 2 weeks ago and comparing them to see if the lighting had anything to do with how they came out, but I doubt it.

These are from yesterday.
[/url]Bangkok by

this looks awful
Bangkok by

Bangkok by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 04-29-2016   #73
Bendj

It looks like they have scanned it as a colour file and not converted to monochrome. I have a Fuji lab scanner and when scanning C41 black and white you need to hit an option for monochrome correction.

Old 04-29-2016   #74
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendj View Post
It looks like they have scanned it as a colour file and not converted to monochrome. I have a Fuji lab scanner and when scanning C41 black and white you need to hit an option for monochrome correction.
awesome, thanks a lot. I will mention that to them when I go back there.

cheers, michael

Old 04-30-2016   #75
nickthetasmaniac

Yup, definitely looks like a colour scan of black and white. I've had a few labs do that...
We abandon them daily in the wasteland of the past. Because even though I have told you that I am walking to remember, this isn’t completely true - we must embark also on journeys of forgetting. - Paul Salopek

Olympus EM5 | Ricoh GR | Pentax MX | Leica M2
walking | photography | travel
Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 04-30-2016   #76
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Yup, definitely looks like a colour scan of black and white. I've had a few labs do that...
Thanks for that comment, I am going to ask the lab to scan the negatives again

[/url]Nakhon Pathom by

Jodhpur, India by

Jaipur, India by

cheers, michael

Old 04-30-2016   #77
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Yup I've had that happen too. If you look at an XP2 negative it kinda looks like it could be colour film if you are not experienced. Part of the C41 process. So they mistakenly scan it as if it was colour.

Michael this has become one of my favorite threads with these gorgeous images and colours.

Old 04-30-2016   #78
john_s

Quote:
Thanks for that comment, I am going to ask the lab to scan the negatives again

cheers, michael

Would converting the scanned images to monochrome work as well?

Yes, I agree with the above poster. Michael, these are great photos. I have gone back to look at them several times.

Old 05-03-2016   #79
wayben

Great photos Michael!! I can see another 35mm lens in my future, variety is good.

Old 05-09-2016   #80
michaelbialecki

Thanks a lot for the comments everybody. I was just looking at some of my photos from India and I specifically remember taking this photo thinking that it was going to be a really interesting photo, but when I got my scans back from the lab, I was a little disappointed with the way it came out.

I just spent some time looking at a couple of photos from this quick scene and I decided that this is the one that I like the most, but to be honest, I'm still not too happy with the way it came out. I took this photo literally 2 hours before I got on my plane to depart India and I was really happy with the way that this scene unfolded in front of me.

[/url]Jaipur, India by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael