Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica General Discussion / News / Rumors

View Poll Results: Ever bought Leica new? lens or body only
yes in the last 10 years 206 45.68%
yes more than 10 years ago 52 11.53%
No 193 42.79%
Voters: 451. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2016   #121
smk

50mm Summilux-M E46 millennium black paint

3 x 50mm Summilux-M Asph (black, silver, black chrome)

28mm Elmarit-M Asph

Leica MP a la carte

(And numerous used items)

Old 03-22-2016   #122
ellisson

A current summicron 50 essentially new, but labeled as "mint" because it was returned to Leica. It then made it's way back to the retailer and the sale to me included the Leica three year passport. The price was significantly reduced.

Old 06-09-2016   #123
redhawk

The only things I ever bought new were a 50 Lux ASPH and a 25/2.8 Biogon, both about three years ago. Everything else has always been used. At the time the 50 ASPH was near-impossible to find used and I got a good deal on it and saved on sales tax by buying out of state. I mainly shoot film bodies but I've got my eye on used M9-Ps and M-Ps.

Sure there's something romantic about starting with brand new equipment and putting age and patina on it yourself but you've got to have deep pockets for that kind of romanticism! I still try to find the best examples of used equipment I can and in some cases can start with nearly pieces to begin with but I think most of us shooters are willing to overlook previous-owner wear and get to making pictures.
50/1.4 ASPH / 50/1.5 / 50/2 Rigid

Rollei 35 SE Black / Fuji X100S / Sony NEX-5
Nikon F, F FTn, F2 Titan, F4s / Olympus OM
Bronica SQ-Ai AE / Mamiya 7II

Old 07-28-2016   #124
Erik van Straten

An MP, when the camera was introduced in 2003. I never was very happy with the camera because of the inaccuracy of the framelines.

Erik.

Old 07-28-2016   #125
Ronald M

Used in excellent condition is priced too high relative to new unless it is digital and the model has been superseded. Then the defects have become largely known.

Buying a current model that looks as if it was used by a war photographer would have to be free.

My M8 was just a trial to see in general how I liked digital Leica. It had few miles on it. I still own and use . The M9P was bought new.

There is always the issue of we can not read the shutter clicks on 240 so that is like buying a used car without looking at odometer reading.

Nikons are easy to read and they are direct. I don`t buy them used unless they are close to new as Nikon does not keep spare parts very long.

Old 07-28-2016   #126
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Yes. =======

Old 07-28-2016   #127
Gregm61

M262 this past February. 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH, not long after it was introduced, and when it cost $1,495 new. It's now double that and more.

Old 07-28-2016   #128
Fuchs

Back in the 90's I bought a new M6 (that I still own) and an R6. Then, in 2007, an M8. I regret having sold the R6 and having bought the M8.
My flickr

Old 07-28-2016   #129
DanielDuarte

M240 -> Then bit by the SL bug then I found out my family business was sold and the family kicked my wife and out, so we had to move and the SL was sold to pay rent.

Otherwise, no. I have an M6TTL and M9 purchased used.

Ken Hansen gets a lot of my dollars, stellar 50 LUX ASPH off him.

Old 07-28-2016   #130
mkorabo

Black Leica T Body & 35 Summicron Asph.

Old 07-28-2016   #131
michaelwj
----------------

No.

In the words of Australian band Regurgitator:
"I like your old stuff better than your new stuff"

https://youtu.be/Iun4shGD740

Old 08-19-2016   #132
Talus
pan sin sal

It seems that I'm in the same crowd as many. All used. I'm ok with that.

Old 08-19-2016   #133
sara

No, because I can't afford new ones 😂

Old 08-19-2016   #134
Jockos

I tried to buy a new 50 summilux ASPH once, gave up after five months of waiting, and got a used one instead.

Da gallery

Old 08-20-2016   #135
robbeiflex

After five years shooting various used Leica film (M6), digital (M-E), and lenses, I bought a new M262 early this year. I was finally at the point where I knew I would keep it for many years, had the money saved up, and the timing aligned with a new model that I felt was right for me. So far, so good, and I am enjoying it a lot. Shortly after the M262 arrived, I sold some stuff to buy a used 35 summicron, reverting to my usual preference for used gear. When it comes to buying new lenses I preferred Zeiss until now, but with good digital and film M bodies already paid for and usable for many years I can now justify saving up for a new Leica lens.

Cheers,
Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 08-20-2016   #136
Doug

Yes... But starting earlier with a 9-year-old M2 and new 35 Summicron. Both my M8 bodies came used through RFF Classifieds. And the now-gone used M9 too. The M240 and S2 were new but "store demo" cameras. I keep looking for ways to cut the costs!

Old 08-22-2016   #137
Steve Ash

Yes, one body (M8.2) and three lenses (Summicron 28 Asph, summilux 50 Asph and Summicron 75 Asph.). I added a new but demo lens (summilux 35) and like new but used SE 21 Asph. this year. I am waiting to add a new Leica M of the next generation.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Old 08-22-2016   #138
Penzes

28mm Elmarit ASPH.
35mm Summilux ASPH. FLE
50 Summilux ASPH.

All of them in the last 3 years.

my flickr

Old 08-22-2016   #139
barnwulf

No, not when you can buy like new ones for a more reasonable price. I don't buy new cars either. Saved thousands and I still have very nice things. - jim

Old 08-27-2016   #140
Cyriljay

50mm black Summicron about 2000

Old 08-27-2016   #141
Ronald M

Used stuff in good condition is priced to high. It should be 30% new and then lower from there based on condition. Digital bodies especially.

I prefer to purchase new early in product cycle. Same with cars.

Old 08-29-2016   #142
Dogman

Yes. My first Leica experience was a new M4-P and three new E. Leitz lenses. That was well over 25 years ago. It was not a match made in heaven. I was too much into using Nikon SLRs at the time so I sold the whole package after about two years.

Years later, I got the Leica bug again and bought a couple of used M6 bodies and a few used lenses. The match was much better that time. I used those cameras and lenses until I switched to 100% digital.

Old 09-07-2016   #143
bayernfan

as long as there continues to be well-kept film-era leica equipment available, i won't ever be buying anything new from Leica. the new (digital) stuff doesn't even feel like it's made by the same company, and i suppose it's not.

Old 09-08-2016   #144
ramosa

Sure, quite a few. Three new bodies: M8, M9, and Q. And the following new lenses: Super Elmar 18mm, Elmarit 28mm ASPH, Cron 35mm ASPH, Cron 50mm, and Lux 50mm ASPH. I have purchased several lenses used (e.g., Lux 35mm ASPH, Elmarit-M 90mm) and several bodies used (e.g., M6, M7), as well--and only kept a body and 2-3 lenses at most times. Resale was never bad, but was especially good for the faster lenses.

Old 09-08-2016   #145
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Hey Chris ... Ramosa

Are You now shooting with the 'Q' ?
If so Cool !!
I tried One recently at an ICP / Rff event... Was quite Impressed with it's speed , quietness,
Quick to focus

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 09-08-2016   #146
jb89

Yep recently bought a brand new M-P 240, buying new without tax was cheaper than second hand!

Old 09-10-2016   #147
hugivza

MP 240, Monochrom (M9 version), D-Lux (Typ 113), Summilux 21, Summicron 35, plus host of second hand!

Old 09-20-2016   #148
scigeek

New M6/50mm Elmar back in '96. Strictly 2nd-hand since then.

Old 09-20-2016   #149
ckuwajima
Celso

Never, ever tempting though

Old 09-24-2016   #150
wjlapier

Ala Carte M7. Lost confidence in the camera after three trips to NJ and DAG for various issues. Sold it. Lately a NOS Leitz M6 Classic that runs very smooth. Just what I envisioned a Leica to be.

Old 10-09-2016   #151
Chromacomaphoto

Well, I was thinking "Me buy new Leica gear ? yeah right!" ...but then to be fair I do recall buying a brand new Leica square shaped hood which I jury-rigged to my first pre-asph 35mm lux with the old black rubber hair band trick. That is the only new Leica item I have ever purchased! Sold it with the lens. As for a body or glass, never. I like the older stuff anyway and they made it so well might as well buy second hand.

Old 11-03-2016   #152
iphoenix

Can't afford to buy new; however I've only had good experiences buying Leitz and Leicas 2nd hand - even when a CLA was needed. So far!!

Old 11-20-2016   #153
ph.

Hologon number 5736341 had been sitting on the importers shelf for much too long, so I bought it at quite a good rebate on the list price. Kept it for some years and enjoyed its wide perspective and lack of distortion (and lack of vignetting which was substantial if one did not use the graduated "verlauffilter"). Like the collapsible Summicron it could also be left on the camera and stuffed in a large pocket.

600 Hologons made ? Thet did not induce me to keep it. It was quite slow and not all that sharp, so since I at one stage hoarded Alpas, I swapped it for a suitably large sum plus a very rare Alpa, (6 of that partucular variant ever made).

p.

Old 12-22-2016   #154
zuiko85

No. Never have. At first I thought this made me useless to the Leica company but then I thought 'no, the person I buy from may then have partial funds to get something new'. There has to be a healthy used market to free up money for some folks who buy new stuff.

Old 12-23-2016   #155
E.M

I bought everything new , 3 M6 ttl ( chrome , black chrome , millennium ) ; also a 50 cron and 35 lux asph . Still want a 28 cron and then I'm done .

Old 12-23-2016   #156
ellisson

Yes, but not at the list price. Three or so years after the M240 introduced, I purchased an M-P 240 from a Leica certified vendor at significant discount with full warranty from Leica. Packaged and sealed just as new. And with the $750 rebate program it was a better deal than most used samples I saw after a year of watching ebay. The soon-to-be introduced new M model was likely a factor. But buying when a Leica camera was first introduced - I've never done that.

Old 12-23-2016   #157
Doug

While most of my Leica gear was bought either used or store-demo/unboxed, I did just get a new M-D typ 262, and so far I'm delighted with it.

Early this year, after PopFlash sold several lenses for me on consignment, including the 2.8/21 Elmarit ASPH and 4.5/21 C-Biogon ZM, they sold me a new/demo 3.4/21 Super-Elmar-M while Leica had 12% off special pricing.

Old 12-25-2016   #158
SausalitoDog

yes, I bought a new Leica 28mm for use on fuji xp1...used it twice and it sits on shelf...I have to get organized :-)

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 01-20-2017   #159
1fpm

I just ordered the M10 and 50 Summicron (6 Bit). I am just hoping I am still married next month. ;-)

Old 01-20-2017   #160
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Bought a new M9 back in 2010. Worst photography mistake I've ever made. Bad quality, bad customer service (probably because I don't spend enough money on new Leica as working photographers can't afford such gear all the time.)
Never again will I buy new Leica anything.

Phil Forrest