Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica General Discussion / News / Rumors

View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?
Epson RD1 family - all models 53 18.03%
Leica M8 / 8u 24 8.16%
Leica M8.2 10 3.40%
Leica M9 43 14.63%
Leica M9-P 24 8.16%
Leica MM 51 17.35%
Leica M-E 8 2.72%
Leica M240 aka M aka M10 56 19.05%
Leica M-P 22 7.48%
Leica M60 3 1.02%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?
Old 01-06-2015   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

Poll originally started by Raid.

This is a new version with more voting options.

Votes have been reset to zero.

Stephen

Old 01-08-2015   #2
maggieo
More Deadly

Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.5 Aspherical Lens, August 06, 2013 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Old 01-08-2015   #3
anerjee

Why is the R-D1 not included?

Edit: Understand, the R-D1 is not a cameta

Old 01-08-2015   #4
anerjee

In that case, mine would be the new M240 M-P. I've used it in the Leica showroom and someday I'll summon the courage to pull the trigger!

Old 01-08-2015   #6
Huss

M9 (M-E)
Because I tested it against the M10 with the same lens, in the same lighting, with the same subject back to back, and preferred the results of the CCD sensor.

Old 01-08-2015   #7
Mcary

M8 because that's the one I own and shoot with and while I do see myself getting a newer model I'm in no rush to do so anytime soon. So Yes I will like be one of those people still shooting with the M8 when the 10 year anniversary comes around in 2016 and even after that.
Not work safe

Old 01-08-2015   #8
Kwesi

M240 - because your favorite M is the one in you are currently using

Old 01-08-2015   #9
NeonKnight

The M8. I mostly shoot black and white and appreciate the extra infrared sensitivity of the M8's sensor. I also find the file size of its pictures more manageable than newer cameras'.

Old 01-08-2015   #10
airfrogusmc

MM gets my vote. I think it's Leica's finest digital effort.

Old 01-08-2015   #11
Manuel Patino

M 240, because that's what I have

Old 01-09-2015   #12
jsrockit

Well, I've only used a M8 and M9, but would imagine I'd like the M240 the best since I prefer high ISO sensors and work mostly in color.

Old 01-09-2015   #13
krötenblender

After owning R-D1, M9 and now M240 - the M240 wins in all but one aspects: the R-D1 is just the coolest digital camera with the most "analog" handling ever. But for everything else, the M240 wins.

Old 01-09-2015   #14
Lss

Out of the Leica cameras I have only used the M8. I guess it makes it my favourite.

Old 01-09-2015   #15
Lss

Doesn't change my answer.

Old 01-09-2015   #16
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

I had the M8.2 and hated it.
I have the M240 now and like it more then my Canon 6d.

Though, I still like my M7 the most.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 01-09-2015   #17
Keyne

I think its interesting to see all the love for the M240. I have an M8 and when I handled an M240 it just felt too "advanced"/nonLeica like to me. However, I was in Hong Kong and all the menus were in Chinese but I just thought it felt too digital whereas the M8/M9/MM always felt to me almost like a film camera with digital... but not really a "digital" camera in the modern sense.

So is it the handling, the options (e.g. movie mode), the output, or the files produced (or all of the above)) that people like about the M240? Maybe I need to take another look at one but I was so turned off I was thinking I would just buy an M9 instead.

Old 01-09-2015   #18
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
I think its interesting to see all the love for the M240. I have an M8 and when I handled an M240 it just felt too "advanced"/nonLeica like to me. However, I was in Hong Kong and all the menus were in Chinese but I just thought it felt too digital whereas the M8/M9/MM always felt to me almost like a film camera with digital... but not really a "digital" camera in the modern sense.

So is it the handling, the options (e.g. movie mode), the output, or the files produced (or all of the above)) that people like about the M240? Maybe I need to take another look at one but I was so turned off I was thinking I would just buy an M9 instead.
The M typ 240 has more features than the M8 and M9 series, so there are by necessity more controls in the menus to manage them. But if you don't use the features—if you're using the M240 the same way you use any Leica to do still image photography—it's no more complex to use than the M8/M9. It's more the same than it's different, in fact.

I don't own an M240 but have found it very appealing to use when I've handled one. The new control dial, operated by your thumb, is much nicer than the control dial ring on the M9. The new menu is a bit more complex than the one in the M9, but still quite simple and perfectly logical. A couple of firmware updates have improved a couple of the detail points of control interaction from the initial release too. I don't find the 1mm change in the shape of the baseplate and the 2oz more weight due to the larger battery to be noticeable if you're already used to the size and feel of the M9. Both M9 and M240 are quite noticeably larger and heavier if you've been shooting with the X typ 113 or M4-2

What I really like about the M240 is that the responsiveness of the camera is FAR better than that of the M9. The shutter is much more refined, the write to card is many times faster. Essentially, the M240 feels crisp and business-like: like it is always ready to shoot where the M9 always feels somewhat lethargically lagging behind.

There's been a lot of ballyhoo about the M9 sensor being superior to the M240. Having done enough experimentation with M240 files and compared them to the M9, I have to say they are different in color and texture, but the difference is a nuance that is most often completely lost if you're processing raw files to a finished product. The additional resolution and sensitivity of the M240 is welcome and it shows less moire than the M9.

All that said, I'm still quite pleased with using my M9 and will soldier on with it a while longer. I'll upgrade when it seems the right moment for me, but there is certainly no rush. Tossing about $8K cameras is not something I do capriciously...

G

Old 01-09-2015   #19
Pioneer

Tried the M240 for a month and didn't care for it. Mostly personal and almost certainly tied to my own growth with the M9.

I am still learning how to use the MM but haven't fully come to grips with it. It is a very nice camera and it handles just like the M9 of course. But the photographs are different and require different treatment and a different mindset. I am not there yet but the camera has been patient with me.

I voted for the M9 because it has become an old friend just like my ZI. I know exactly how it works and it has been very reliable over the last 3 years of ownership. I know that others have had different experiences, many of them very frustrating, but I have not experienced any of the problems with my M9 that I have read about. Finally, the photographs I have been able to make with this camera still make me very happy. It does not hurt that there are many fine rangefinder lenses that compliment this camera very well.

I think that in my case this M9 came along just when I was becoming very serious about my own photographic journey. I have become a better photographer since I owned it. The camera didn't make that happen but it has been a partner in that journey. As you will agree, faithful partners are extremely important in any such growing and learning process. Since I still have much to learn I am very glad that this camera continues to support me so well.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 01-09-2015   #20
Keyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
The M typ 240 has more features than the M8 and M9 series, so there are by necessity more controls in the menus to manage them. But if you don't use the features—if you're using the M240 the same way you use any Leica to do still image photography—it's no more complex to use than the M8/M9. It's more the same than it's different, in fact.

I don't own an M240 but have found it very appealing to use when I've handled one. The new control dial, operated by your thumb, is much nicer than the control dial ring on the M9. The new menu is a bit more complex than the one in the M9, but still quite simple and perfectly logical. A couple of firmware updates have improved a couple of the detail points of control interaction from the initial release too. I don't find the 1mm change in the shape of the baseplate and the 2oz more weight due to the larger battery to be noticeable if you're already used to the size and feel of the M9. Both M9 and M240 are quite noticeably larger and heavier if you've been shooting with the X typ 113 or M4-2

What I really like about the M240 is that the responsiveness of the camera is FAR better than that of the M9. The shutter is much more refined, the write to card is many times faster. Essentially, the M240 feels crisp and business-like: like it is always ready to shoot where the M9 always feels somewhat lethargically lagging behind.

There's been a lot of ballyhoo about the M9 sensor being superior to the M240. Having done enough experimentation with M240 files and compared them to the M9, I have to say they are different in color and texture, but the difference is a nuance that is most often completely lost if you're processing raw files to a finished product. The additional resolution and sensitivity of the M240 is welcome and it shows less moire than the M9.

All that said, I'm still quite pleased with using my M9 and will soldier on with it a while longer. I'll upgrade when it seems the right moment for me, but there is certainly no rush. Tossing about $8K cameras is not something I do capriciously...

G
Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response. That makes a lot of sense to me and highlights some of the benefits of 240. Now maybe I need to wait for the M240 to come down in price and not the M9?

Old 01-09-2015   #21
Keyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Tried the M240 for a month and didn't care for it. Mostly personal and almost certainly tied to my own growth with the M9.

I am still learning how to use the MM but haven't fully come to grips with it. It is a very nice camera and it handles just like the M9 of course. But the photographs are different and require different treatment and a different mindset. I am not there yet but the camera has been patient with me.

I voted for the M9 because it has become an old friend just like my ZI. I know exactly how it works and it has been very reliable over the last 3 years of ownership. I know that others have had different experiences, many of them very frustrating, but I have not experienced any of the problems with my M9 that I have read about. Finally, the photographs I have been able to make with this camera still make me very happy. It does not hurt that there are many fine rangefinder lenses that compliment this camera very well.

I think that in my case this M9 came along just when I was becoming very serious about my own photographic journey. I have become a better photographer since I owned it. The camera didn't make that happen but it has been a partner in that journey. As you will agree, faithful partners are extremely important in any such growing and learning process. Since I still have much to learn I am very glad that this camera continues to support me so well.
Your comments about your M9 really resonated with me and my experience with my M8. I know people may be quick to bash Leicas as antiquated, costly, better options out there for price, etc. But for me shooting with a rangefinder works really well for me, my photography has improved, and most importantly my LOVE of photography and getting out there shooting has increased immensely. Its totally changed the hobby for me in a great way. They are lovely cameras.

Old 01-09-2015   #22
Chris Bail
Regular Guy

I voted M9. Having never tried the 240 or MM.

I had an R-D1 that was nice, but ended up selling it when Epson stopped supporting them.
Still have an M8 that I've really liked, but I like my new M9 more.

My Flickr

Old 01-09-2015   #23
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Had an M8 for three years and while it was an interesting camera it had flaws that a camera that cost that much shouldn't have had.

The 240 is the mature incarnation of what has gone before and because they got it right I paid the asking price ... which I wasn't about to do with the M9 or ME.

Old 01-09-2015   #24
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Had an M8 for three years and while it was an interesting camera it had flaws that a camera that cost that much shouldn't have had.
What flaws specifically do you mean?

Old 01-09-2015   #25
horosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
Usable ISO up to 800, loud shutter noise, short battery life, sensor corrosion

My 500px
My Flickr

Old 01-09-2015   #26
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post

The IR issue, limited ISO performance for low light shooting, shutter like a staple gun and I never really got on with the crop factor.

Old 01-09-2015   #27
mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by horosu View Post
Usable ISO up to 800, loud shutter noise, short battery life, sensor corrosion
The M8 doesn't suffer from sensor corrosion.

Old 01-09-2015   #28
horosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
The M8 doesn't suffer from sensor corrosion.
Sorry, these were M9's flaws, at least for me as a former owner. I thought my answer was about this and not the M8

My 500px
My Flickr

Old 01-09-2015   #29
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The IR issue, limited ISO performance for low light shooting, shutter like a staple gun and I never really got on with the crop factor.
Thanks. I have the shutter upgrade on my M8. It isn't bad at all in my books, but I hear the original is more noisy. Personally, I would probably use the IR cut filters also on the new M.

Old 01-10-2015   #30
flyalf

M is for me the winner in terms of IQ, RD-1 in terms of handling (by far)

Old 01-10-2015   #32
neonart

Had and M8, RD1, and got to play with an M9. (Also had lots of very capable AF digital bodies like the EM5, and RX1R) All very cool. The CCD Leicas have a unique look, and the RD1 is just a pleasure to use if one likes film cameras.

However, I wanted a digital rangefinder with the most versatility. I didn't want multiple cameras, just one. The M240 is the most versatile. ISO 100-4000 is useable (for me). Macro is possible with LV, so are long lenses. Battery life is amazing. Screen is sharp and clear.

I've been blown away and 100% pleased with the M240. I look forward to using it every day. It's made photography a true joy again, and that has made me an improved photographer.

Old 01-10-2015   #33
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Poll edited to add more models,
totals reset to zero,
some posts about missing models deleted,

Please start voting !

Stephen

Old 01-10-2015   #34
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Interesting to see that this forum is about the only one using the misnomer M10.

jaapvphotography

Old 01-10-2015   #35
neonart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Poll edited to add more models,
totals reset to zero,
some posts about missing models deleted,

Please start voting !

Stephen
Unfortunately it's not allowing those who voted previously to vote again.

Old 01-10-2015   #36
dof
Fiat Lux

It's the MM for me, by a long shot.

Old 01-10-2015   #37
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post

Interesting to see that this forum is about the only one using the misnomer M10.
Misnaming a camera the "M" in the face of 60's years of what, close to a 600,000 + M's before it, is the real misnomer.

Instead of mindlessly following official the Leica misnomer Metropolis style,
it would b good to see more Leica owners appreciating Leica's heritage and wake up
to protest this bad PR foolishness and lack of awareness of all the M's that preceded THE M.

Stephen

Old 01-10-2015   #38
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonart View Post
Unfortunately it's not allowing those who voted previously to vote again.
just fixed. thanks for pointing it out.

Stephen

Old 01-10-2015   #39
YouAreHere

One vote for the M-E present and accounted for.

Old 01-10-2015   #40
Austerby

I've voted for the M8 - still an astonishingly good camera within its limitations. The more recent models have addressed some of these but the original is the most significant one. I still haven't been convinced that they're worth the extra money so I've stayed with my very reliable and faithfull M8.