Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica General Discussion / News / Rumors

View Poll Results: Why did you buy a digital Leica M?
I wanted a digital Leica RF camera 105 64.02%
The overall quality of the camera 23 14.02%
There ws no other option 33 20.12%
Other reasons ... Explain 22 13.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Why did you decide to buy a digital Leica M.
Old 12-23-2014   #1
raid
Dad Photographer

Why did you decide to buy a digital Leica M.

Since I am bored here, I am starting a counter thread ....
Why did you buy a digital Leica M (M8, M9, ...)?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-23-2014   #2
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

For a few reasons:

Was impressed by the M240.
Good sensor, decent ISO range, good live view, ability to use even more lens systems then one could imagine. Hmm, what else, all of the reasons I hated the M8.2 were not present in the M240.
I good deal came my way, and I had the money for it (very very rare), though it still wasn't cheap to say the least.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 12-23-2014   #3
Lss

I liked the Epson R-D1 better than anything I had used before. I wanted a similar camera with a smaller crop (and more pixels), and M8 was the option I could afford. Years later, not much has changed.

Old 12-23-2014   #4
burancap

Because it seemed to be the logical thing to do at the time.

I loved my film M's. I loved my M and LTM lenses. Why not?

Old 12-23-2014   #5
Vobluda

Because I was bored with film.

Old 12-23-2014   #6
dotur
od karnevala

I wanted a digital RF and I've bought M8 twice. I sold it twice because it died twice in my hands (serious shutter problems). Later I was dreaming about M9 or Monochrom as more reliable cameras, but now I know it was only a dream.

dotur's photo albums

Old 12-23-2014   #7
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

When Leica created the Monochrom it seemed that Leica had me in mind. I was a B&W only shooter so buying a digital with a color sensor was not in the picture for me. Leica in a way kinda made me a dream camera that did not offer features I did not need. The only improvements I would want is a bigger buffer and the bigger screen of the M-240. If Leica makes a MM-240 I will surely buy one, and I will also keep my MM. I don not want video capabilities.

I also bought the Monochrom to become more Leica-centric and concentrated on getting more ASPH glass. Also I bought more film M-bodies that could share the glass.

Before I was a B&W film only die-hard, but a Leica body with a monochrome sensor took away my last compelling reason to avoid digital. It been almost two years and I can say that my Monochrom has made me into a better photographer. Likely the best money I ever spent.

Cal

Old 12-23-2014   #8
f16sunshine

I had the RD1 early on and loved it but, the files were a bit too lightweight when I was doing hired portraits and model port. shoots (I did many from '08-'11).

The M8 stepped in.
The M8 gave me a bit more resolution and files I could use for work.
It was not perfect but perfectly usable! A really great camera during that "era" of digital photgraphy.
Mirror-less cameras with nice apsc sensors were just not quite yet to be born. The M8 offered a real option to DSLR's.
I was able to see past it's flaws as it was Leicas first DRF and a nice compact option to my 5Dii's.
The Fuji cameras now fill in were the M8 used to sit in my workflow.
Sometimes I think I may get another just to use for fun.
Then I think better of it now. My fun cameras are my film cameras.

Old 12-23-2014   #9
-doomed-
film is exciting

I bought one because I wanted it. I don't use it as much I'd like to, however. Too many no light assignments. Despite the camera's flaws, I thoroughly enjoy using it.

Old 12-23-2014   #10
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by -doomed- View Post
I bought one because I wanted it. I don't use it as much I'd like to, however. Too many no light assignments. Despite the camera's flaws, I thoroughly enjoy using it.
As above. :-)

G

Old 12-23-2014   #11
Pioneer

I really wanted full frame. I was using Canon full frame for my work. Loved the quality but hated the size. Leica was expensive but the M9 was beautifully small and felt more like a film camera then any other digital I had ever worked with. So, I saved some money, sold the majority of my Canon kit, and bought the M9. I have never regretted it and now I have the Monochrom as well.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan

M240 After M9
Old 12-23-2014   #12
Denton

M240 After M9

1)M240 screen resolution allows me to quickly check rangefinder focus and check for front/back focusing on lenses. Biggest reason to switch from M9
2) Hate the lack of contrast in an EVF, having optical finder helps my composition for shadow areas.
3) M240 still more crowd friendly than Canon FF DSLR, my former working camera system. Smaller is better for me.
4) very quiet shutter, although mirrorless is as good but DSLR can be very annoying in some venues.
5) Use of M-mount lenses shared with my M6 0.85.
6) Ease of telephoto use > 135mm
7)Still evaluating image quality of Fuji X lenses vs. Leica M, but so far very pleased with both. Fuji zoom good, but not as good as leica primes.

I also have a Fuji XE-1 which I like very much. I may go for an X-pro 2 when they come out. I actually sold my M9 thinking to convert to X system, but the EVF and bag of M lenses brought me back. I think I'll stay with Fuji and Leica for different reasons

Old 12-23-2014   #13
airfrogusmc

I see in B&W at this point in time. It's how I see all of my personal work and have for some time now. When Leica introduced the MM I put my name on a list and waited. I also picked up a 35 Lux FLE.

I had a darkroom but a divorce some years ago and downsizing I gave up my darkroom and my commercial clients moved me to digital some years back so it was a no brainer for me.

I still love film but I also enjoy the creative freedom I have with digital. I mean to be able to get medium format quality at 1600 and 3200 ISO and to be able to shoot at 320 on one frame and to be able to shoot at 10,000 ISO on the next is incredible.

Yeah it was pricey but no more than the top of the line Canon digital or Nikon digital. And if I hadn't have bought it I wouldn't have spent the past 2 years and 30,000+ exposures creating with it.

I got a lot more camera than I bargained for. A great quote by Ralph Gibson about the only digital camera he has owned or liked. The MM: "This camera will do anything I am capable of doing. I will never get to the end of what this instrument can perform".-Ralph Gibson

I have no problems with someone not wanting to shoot digital. I still love film but without a darkroom and with the way I see and work this is the perfect tool for me now. Since there is no color the sharpness has been compared to d800 which has twice the MPs.

I will shoot with this camera until it dies and I can no longer get it repaired. No reason for me to upgrade.

Never cared for Fuji. Tried one for a while before I went with the MM. EVF just doesn't do it for me and the way I work and see.

Old 12-23-2014   #14
Mcary

After shooting both the M6 and the M8 I decided that for small format photography I prefer digital over 35mm film. Will I get an FF digital M yes someday down the road but for now I have my eyes set on getting a real field camera such as a Wista 4x5 to replace my Crown Graphic plus a couple of more lens say a 90mm and a 210mm to go along with the 127mm and 270mm lens that I currently have.
Not work safe

Old 12-23-2014   #15
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Simply an excellent camera and I like a rangefinder...

jaapvphotography

Old 12-23-2014   #16
seakayaker1

I bought a used M8.2, fell in love with the rangefinder it and sold it and bought a used M9 about four months latter.

Prior to this I had used a film SLR for years, a small point and shoot digital, and a GF1 prior to buying the M8.2.

Having bought the digital M it moved me to purchase an MP .72 and M6TTL .85 to continue the rangefinder experience.

Reaching a point in my life where I had some disposable income also helped with making the decision. I believe it was a luxury purchase when I made the purchase of the M8.2 and came to believe I wish I had made the move to a rangefinder style camera years/decades before I did.

Old 12-23-2014   #17
luuca

I wanted to feel the same sensations that my MP gave (and still gives) to me.
And it worked.

Old 12-23-2014   #18
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

I bought an M8.2 used to get the "Leica Experience". I was disapointed in the image quality beyond the lowest ISO setting and sold it. After seeing the things that an M9 was capable of producing, I managed to get one new. Loved it but felt restricted in that I had sold my DSLR to get the Leica. Sold the Leica to get another DSLR and missed it terribly. Saved and bought another M9 used and have been happy since. There's something in the CCD files that I don't see in the CMOS files. A crispness and detail. Now I have to save for more Leica lenses. There's always something......

Old 12-23-2014   #19
nikonosguy

My m8 is on the way, right time, right place, famous first owner, have wanted on for a while

Old 12-23-2014   #20
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
I am amazed by the level of commitment I hear around here. I cannot personally imagine saving for any camera.
You've got to be kidding.

Many people save up the money to buy the things they want. When I was first getting into photography, I wanted a Nikon F. It took a year of savings to have enough that my uncle helped me to buy the camera with a 50mm lens. It took another half a year to save up for another lens. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I pay cash for everything short of real estate. If I don't have the money, and I want something, I start saving for it. If I still want it when I have the money, I buy it. Simple as that.

Saving up and buying with cash is how to escape the stupidity and waste of the credit universe.

G

Old 12-23-2014   #21
raid
Dad Photographer

I minimized the cost by buying used digital M cameras, and offering trades. It helped.

Old 12-23-2014   #23
raid
Dad Photographer

If there are limitations to the creativity, it usually is not the camera's fault. It is my fault. I am not anymore dwelling on type of camera used. I pay more attention to the lens choices.

Old 12-23-2014   #24
x-ray

I've used Leicas since 1968 and like RF's for some of my work. My commercial work is entirely digital and I thought I'd like to have an M9 to complement my Nikon and Hasselblad digital gear.

I read a lot and was aware of all the initial issues with the M9 but later in the cycle I read so much positive about It I thought most of the issues had been corrected. Unfortunately I believed what I read and purchased one. I'm sad to say it was a disaster of an experience. I've learned two things, never buy anything digital made by Leica ever and never believe internet hype. It was a very costly mistake but I've learned my lesson.

Old 12-23-2014   #25
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Sony crapped out. I could no longer hold out. LOL
Which one? LOL

Old 12-23-2014   #26
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
If there are limitations to the creativity, it usually is not the camera's fault. It is my fault. I am not anymore dwelling on type of camera used. I pay more attention to the lens choices.
I use a F/L that matches my vision just like my choice of camera. The lens happens to be 35mm on FF.

Old 12-23-2014   #27
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

I wanted to shoot digital shots with my Leica lenses, and I wanted to do it with an RF camera, for the compactness.

Old 12-23-2014   #28
Richard G

1. To save money, and time. See later... (and see Mike Johnston's Letter to George in his The Online Photographer blog. It's very funny and very true.)
2. Because I wanted it. I bought it perhaps a little on impulse, but it was a silver M9-P looking so much like a brand new M2 out of a time capsule, and I just had to have it.

The reference to the saving above is that I would otherwise have invested heavily in the Fuji system, X-Pro 1. That would have seen me buy two lenses immediately as well. And then more would come. Then there would be a successor like the latest Fuji, and so it would go on. By getting the M9-P I could shoot full frame with all my lenses. Up until March 2012 I was mainly using film (M5 mostly) and had the wonderful little Fuji X100. If I went Fuji interchangeable I was looking at holding a whole lot of unused M mount lenses as I wouldn't get rid of them, and I'd shoot film occasionally, maybe only very occasionally.

Getting the M9-P took me out of needing new lenses and took me out of the upgrade cycle. I had been happy with the 1970s M5, and was still using my 1950s M2. A ten year old M9-P if still useable would have been fine for me.

When the M240 came out I considered it in detail and realised that I would indeed by quite happy adding the Monochrom. With the recent sensor program news I think I am outside of the upgrade cycle for some time. This year the only new camera I bought was a Leica II (1932) and apart from the little Elmar that came with that I have bought no new lenses. Am I happy with my decisions? Yes.

Old 12-23-2014   #29
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
Simply an excellent camera and I like a rangefinder...
I'm curious what would have made it a poor camera?

Old 12-23-2014   #30
music_healing

for many years.. I swore I wouldnt buy any of the super expensive Leica M digital (8-9-9P-ME-MM or 240)

for digital, i ve been using panasonic GF and Sony Nex for 3 years (all with M lens) ...

but most of the photos I took with analog M (+/- 70-80 % )

since in my country, there is only few color studio lab (C41)
and none of the lab ever provide me with the standard I want
and zero E6 lab

I always get dissapointed by the color of the labs...
I always wait each week as the first customer (fresh developer)
I consult to the scanner technician, etc..

but the color in my head... never match the output

so I lent many digital , A7 series, EM5, EM1, GX7, GR, Fuji X100, XT1 (every mirrorless available)...
but the shooting experiences and the output file is still not there yet

finally I give up

when a friend , get his ME serviced, with brand new sensor, brand new warranty, all body is fixed like new
he offer me that ME for very cheap price ..

I take the trigger

for color.. I shot ME now.. for black and white, i prefer M analog

in very good weather and air ... I shoot Portra , Rollei CN200 and Superia 800

so the reason is

- no good color lab available... the output of the available lab is not there to my standard.
- the experience , I used to RF focusing ... other mirrorless still cant match the RF experiences

So .. thats the story

Sincerely
William

Old 12-24-2014   #31
MCTuomey

No other digital body that integrates as well with M glass.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 12-24-2014   #32
raid
Dad Photographer

The M9 gives me beautiful colors in scenes where there are subtle colors. This is important to me. I can capture pastel colored beach scenes in low light with vintage Leica and Zeiss optics.

Old 12-24-2014   #33
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
No other digital body that integrates as well with M glass.
Off topic, but: that's why I'm just thinking either go back to film (which I'm doing now) or just sell the darn lenses.

flickr
Flickr

Old 12-24-2014   #34
ktmrider

Have had M cameras since 1975 and thus several M mount lenses. Wanted to try digital so tried an X100 for travel. I was impressed with the technology for travel and about a year ago, I found a deal on an M9 which had just come from Leica, NJ, so I bit the bullet.

Am sure the M9 will be just fine for my needs for several years. Do not have any plans to upgrade any time soon. I may sell a couple lenses that do not see much use. During a 90 day trip to Europe this year, the 35mm focal length provided about 90 percent or better of the photos taken so future travel looks to be M9 with 35/90.

Old 12-24-2014   #35
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimmunity View Post
Off topic, but: that's why I'm just thinking either go back to film (which I'm doing now) or just sell the darn lenses.
I've gone bak to film. No headaches with film.

Old 12-24-2014   #36
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
I've gone bak to film. No headaches with film.
Sure there are. Just everyone knows what they are. No surprises.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan

Old 12-24-2014   #37
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimmunity View Post
Yeah, that's it. I spent a lot of time and effort getting my M glass together, not ready to let it go. I've shot more film in the last 6 weeks than in the last 2 years.

Sorry to go OT.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 12-24-2014   #38
peterm1

As hinted at on Raids other and similar thread I have been a long time film M shooter who had owned two M3s and an M4P plus a variety of M and LTM lenses and wanted something digital with a similar feel to film Ms now that I largely shoot digital not film.

It took me a few years to decide to purchase an M8 having previously tried a few different alternatives like the Panasonic L1 which although it is an SLR has a very RF look and feel to it. That camera was quite nice in its own way, in its day, but was big and bulky and did not take Leica M lenses although various SLR lenses would mount with adapters. It gave a sort of rangefinder feel. Later a Sony NEX and M4/3 cameras have followed and although they are easier to shoot that a Leica M in both AF (naturally) and MF mode they still don't have THAT feel.

Never the less as I have recounted on the other thread, I do feel somewhat disappointed with my M8 as it is not a mature product really and involves a number of compromises. Will I buy another M sometime? Probably not at least in the foreseeable future and of course now that there are revelations that M9 (and derivative cameras) sensors are faulty that option is, well not an option.

So I think it will have to be some other camera for me, maybe a Sony NEX 7 or maybe one of Fuji's great offerings if I want to further upgrade. I certainly like the results I get from my existing NEX camera but it is one that does not have an eye level finder and as I much prefer using an eye level finder it is a little deficient in that respect. Quite apart from this general preference, reliance on an LCD is not even an option when shooting in bright sunlight as reflections off the screen make it near as dammit impossible to view.

Old 12-24-2014   #39
Duane Pandorf

Its real simple for me. I've found a synergy with the combination Leica glass on the Leica digital M that I never found with any other camera I've owned.

Old 12-24-2014   #40
airfrogusmc

I never cared for the M8. THe MM though is in my opinion Leica's finest digital effort and is the camera I shoot all of my personal work with. I tried some of the mirrorless cameras and tried a Fuji before buying and bought the MM. I prefer it over all of my digital camera's. I am an old film shooter (zone system for a time, yes I did all the tests)and this is the only camera digital or film that I had as much pleasure shooting as I did with my Blads or when I shot with an 8X10 Deardorff.