Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Other RF

Other RF Forum for the many Rangefinder cameras that do not have a dedicated RFF forum.

Mamiya Magazine 35
Old 04-27-2014   #1
cassel

Mamiya Magazine 35

Watch this space for an upcoming review of this interesting rangefinder from Mamiya Just found a body with TWO magazines...should be handy and fun. I must officially admit that I am a camera collector

Any experience to share about this camera?

Old 05-01-2014   #2
cassel

Camera arrived today along with an extra back/magazine. Pretty cool camera! The camera has a few issues: rangefinder window glass is loose/crooked - does affect functionality; 1/500 does not work- fires when shutter is advanced-- not with the release button. Lens was advertised as having fungus and/or separation- but it looks decent under inspection. Advance lever does not spring back into place after advance. Otherwise seems OK.

I went ahead and loaded it to test it out. I will wait on trying out the functionality of the extra back until I'm sure it works otherwise. Viewfinder is nice- brightline for 50mm and round rangefinder spot. Not sure why my iPhone photos are upside-down...

Old 05-03-2014   #3
cassel

About half-way through the first roll...shoots pretty well.

Researching these cameras it appears that there are a couple of varieties. Some models have "Mamiya" printed on the front of the body. Some have a larger viewfinder window and the focusing range is in meters instead of feet (import vs. Japan) Some magazines have a red lock/unlock latch- some are black.

Several sources indicate production of a f2.0 model but I've not found any evidence that these actually exist.

Old 05-06-2014   #4
cassel

Thumbs up

Got the first roll back- all 36 frames came out fine with a variety of f/stops and shutter speeds. I also took the magazine out and put it back in - worked fine. Lens is sharp enough- needs a hood to reduce flare. Focus is spot-on. All-in-all its a decent little camera- I think the ability to quickly and easily switch film types mid-roll will work well for travel photos and changing light conditions. Here's a few quick low-res scans:

Old 05-08-2014   #5
cassel

Would something like this; 48mm thread aux. lens work with my Mamiya?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imado-48mm-A...item46059365f5

Old 05-08-2014   #6
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Is the filter thread for 48mm? That'd be a weird size. I'd expect 46mm or 49mm on an old Japanese rangefinder.

Old 05-08-2014   #7
cassel

Yep- 48mm... it's an odd ball. I have a 48 to 49 adapter on the way to use a 49mm hood that I have

Old 05-14-2014   #8
cassel

Used my new 48-49 adapter to fit a hood....works well.

Cold Beer - Cool Camera:

Old 07-01-2014   #9
cassel

Found another back and the rare leather case- both NOS

My new favorite camera- fun and different- would love to find the f2.0 version

Old 07-01-2014   #10
btgc

Thanks for showing! I've never seen 35mm camera with film back. I only wish it could have to take [bulk loaded] 72exp. rolls if we go into int. back business.

Old 07-02-2014   #11
farlymac
PF McFarland

That is definitely a neat camera, cassel. Glad you are able to find other goodies for it. Reminds me of the Zeiss Contaflex Super BC, though that's an SLR. Only other interchangeable back rangefinder I know of is the Koni-Mamiya Rapid 100/200. Oh, and the press cameras by Mamiya and Polaroid.

PF

Old 07-02-2014   #12
hilltime

There is a Model with a 4.8cm/F2 lens as I have one. When I first purchased this camera approx. 10 years ago I assumed it was the lens the model was designed with, but found out later the much more common model had the 4.5cm/F2.8 lens. I will assume the F/2 was first in design and for whatever reason Mamiya switched to the F/2.8 lens potentially for economic reasons, but I do not know the true reasons. I also have the original Mamiya lens hood for the 4.5cm/F2.8 lens Model which I have with two other backs.
Have never tested either camera with film as when I purchased these, I always had intention of testing but bought way too many cameras in a short time, and never made it back to them. Always knew the F/2 Model was much rarer, but never have seen any information about these cameras, other than a write up in a Pop Photo, circa 1958 when the Mamiya Magazine 35 was released.

Gary Hill

Old 07-02-2014   #13
hilltime

My mistake in the previous post. I should have been quoting the more common lens as 5cm/F2.8, not 4.5cm.
Gary Hill

Old 07-02-2014   #14
furcafe

I've had 1 for a few years, but have only put a couple rolls through it. It came w/an extra back & I was then able to score a couple more (1 broken, unfortunately) cheaply. The shutter on mine works fine, the only mechanical problem being that the RF patch is sluggish, i.e., it moves slower than the focus helical on the lens.

A few shots from the test roll:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/furcaf...gazine35c1957/

I just happen to have examples of every 35mm camera w/interchangeable backs: Kodak Ektra, Mamiya Magazine-35, & Zeiss Ikon Contarex.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 07-02-2014   #15
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe View Post
I just happen to have examples of every 35mm camera w/interchangeable backs: Kodak Ektra, Mamiya Magazine-35, & Zeiss Ikon Contarex.
Collections never end. There still are the Contaflex, Adox 300, and the Rollei 2000/3003 series to add...

Old 07-03-2014   #16
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Collections never end. There still are the Contaflex, Adox 300, and the Rollei 2000/3003 series to add...
And the KI Monobar...

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-03-2014   #17
furcafe

I stand corrected. The Adox looks like it could have been a contender (for my collection) if it had a rangefinder. The Monobar seems a bit too specialized . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 08-05-2014   #18
cassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltime View Post
There is a Model with a 4.8cm/F2 lens as I have one. When I first purchased this camera approx. 10 years ago I assumed it was the lens the model was designed with, but found out later the much more common model had the 4.5cm/F2.8 lens. I will assume the F/2 was first in design and for whatever reason Mamiya switched to the F/2.8 lens potentially for economic reasons, but I do not know the true reasons. I also have the original Mamiya lens hood for the 4.5cm/F2.8 lens Model which I have with two other backs.
Have never tested either camera with film as when I purchased these, I always had intention of testing but bought way too many cameras in a short time, and never made it back to them. Always knew the F/2 Model was much rarer, but never have seen any information about these cameras, other than a write up in a Pop Photo, circa 1958 when the Mamiya Magazine 35 was released.

Gary Hill
Hey Gary-let me know if you ever want to sell the f2.0 Mamiya.

I just scored another back (that's 4 now) and an Auto-Up II close-up device.

Old 08-05-2014   #19
oftheherd

I had missed this thread somehow. I never heard of 35mm cameras that had interchangeable backs. Fascinating.

Thanks for sharing your photos and experience with this camera.

Old 08-15-2014   #20
cassel

My collection is just about complete!
Thanks to Gary- I picked up a rare f2.0 version of the camera.
Pretty exciting but I promptly broke it after unpacking it- the lens assembly is loose and the shutter won't fire consistently.

I don't think it will be hard to fix...

I also picked up another back and an "Auto-Up" close up device

Old 08-16-2014   #21
farlymac
PF McFarland

The Auto-Ups are nice to get. You asked some time back about using aux lenses, such as the Imado. I know Ricoh made sets of aux lenses with finders for their rangefinders, so I'm thinking Mamiya also may have. That would probably be the best to look for, as they usually have some sort of computations you need to do to properly focus the camera. I believe the Imado was made in a set for something like the Canon AF35 ML, and would have had an adapter to fit over the AF sensor windows.

Great looking photos from your 2.8. Hope you get the 2.0 sorted out.

PF

Old 08-16-2014   #22
cassel

Fingers crossed on the repair for the f2.0 - it is at the shop now- partially fixed but still needing a bit of custom fabrication to finish the job.

Here's some more shots of the gear- hopefully soon there will just be shots made BY the cameras not OF them- but because this stuff is fairly rare- I thought it would be good to document the collection

This is everything minus the f2.0- which by the way- is NOT listed in McKeown's book- interesting....

Old 08-16-2014   #23
farlymac
PF McFarland

Those magazine caps have got to be the rarest item. It's a lovely set.

PF

Old 08-16-2014   #24
cassel

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. I'd like to find a accessory shoe meter made by Mamiya and the Auto Up I, but otherwise it's pretty complete!

The f2.0 Mamiya will need the 40.5mm inner filter thread to have the hood- because the outer 48mm ring is too banged-up to use- trying to UNSCREW a 48mm adapter ring is how I screwed up the camera

Old 08-21-2014   #25
cassel

No connection to the seller, but here's a heads-up on a Mamiya Magazine 35 for sale. It looks to include the rare leather case and a mamiya lens cap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191290352130...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is a f2.8 model, I e-mailed the seller. Sounds like a project but it might be worthwhile!

Old 08-21-2014   #26
Nokton48

Looks like TONS of fun.

Good Going!

Old 08-22-2014   #27
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Neat rangefinder.
As someone mentioned above, the film backs would be very handy for travels.

Old 08-22-2014   #28
cassel

It really is an ingenious system- I have shot my last 6 rolls with the Mamiya Magazine 35- often switching depending on lighting and whether I want B&W or color.

Tomorrow I will pick up the f2.0, fingers crossed it will all be fixed I will post example shots soon.

Old 08-23-2014   #29
cassel

Got the f2.0 back from repair. Everything works but there are a few "quirks".
The shutter release is not sensitive- takes a very firm push of the button to release the shutter- I'm going to try a soft release for a little added leverage. All the speeds work fine and the focus is good. Aperture is no longer loose and it is lined up properly...the stop at F/16 is not firm- it will turn further than that but it does not affect the functionality. All-in-all it should be useable

Last edited by cassel : 08-23-2014 at 19:58. Reason: Update with pictures

Old 08-28-2014   #30
cassel

Waiting on the lab to process some rolls of film....Still testing the f2.0 model- waiting for a Mini Soft Release to arrive. In the meantime, I picked up another interchangeable back (now I have 6 total) It was only $7 so I don't feel too bad The back I got is unique from the other five in that it has the word "Mamiya" stamped on the front top. It also came with a dark slide cap (I now have two of those) and a leather case (I now have three of those).

Inside the case were a couple of old receipts...Interesting stuff. Both tags were from 1972 and document the attempted repair of a Mamiya Magazine 35 camera. I assume that the back is from that camera. PhotoTronics in Seattle looked at it after a referral from a shop in Aberdeen and wrote:
"No Parts- Impact has bent shutter beyond repair- returned as received"

Wow, amazing that it was considered a total loss 42 years ago.

Also interesting is the serial number: 782528 (yet another 782 camera-- most of the cameras I've come across- and my two examples- start with 782) This was an f2.8 model BTW.

Old 08-28-2014   #31
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

I use three magazine backs with some of my Contaflexes all the time. 1 x B & W; 1 x C-41; 1 x E-6. Providing the spring clip on the take up shaft of the body is in good repair, they work well. I like the results from the cameras anyway, but the flexibility added by the magazines is why they get so much use in my hands. I'd heard of the Mamiya RF film magazines but never seen them, so the images both of the kit and taken with it have been very interesting.

Was a standard non-interchangeable back produced for them also? With the Contarex or Contaflexes a Contax style removable back was supplied with each body as standard, but the magazine backs were an optional accessory.
Cheers
Brett

Old 08-29-2014   #32
cassel

Only the interchangeable back is supplied. In fact, one weird quirk is that with the back installed- you can open it but you can't change film because the rewind shaft can't be accessed/raised- you HAVE to remove the back each time to change film/load.

Old 08-31-2014   #33
cassel

Got 5 rolls processed...going to try linking images via TheDarkroom. These are all from the f2.8 camera:

Old 08-31-2014   #34
cassel

Old 08-31-2014   #35
cassel

Just got back the first roll back from the f2.0 camera! Shots look pretty good-- focus is on and sharp, no shake from shutter release, happy times

Old 09-05-2014   #36
cassel

Got a couple of soft release buttons for the Mamiya cameras. The red button is on the f2.8 model-- nice and smooth. The black button is on the f2.0 model- it helps but it is still very stiff- needs a firm push to fire the button

Doug at Camera Clinic DOES NOT want to work on the camera again (and he offered no guarantee...) I am happy with everything else - focus, shutter, aperture are all great- just wish the shutter release was better! Any ideas about who might fix it?? Maybe CameraTechs in Ballard?

Also, discovered problems with 2 of my 6 interchangeable backs- one of them has a film guide/tensioner that is not spinning freely- not good the other back has an occasionally not working frame counter. Oh well, at least I have FOUR good ones!

Old 09-05-2014   #37
cassel

CameraTech's said "No" Still hunting for options... or I may just shoot as-is- probably just need to avoid slow shutter speeds.

Meanwhile, check this out:

http://camerafan.jp/i.php?i=8280022

Rare, Japan home-market version with BIG windows and no arrows on the removable base Only $460

Old 10-06-2014   #38
cassel

More shots back from the f2.0 model- it is a better lens than the f2.8 at all apertures- at least with my examples. Really liking this system- just wish the shutter release was smoother--- can you recommend a competent repairman that would look at such an oddball camera?

Old 10-16-2014   #39
cassel

Both cameras need a CLA/Overhaul to be in tip-top condition. I think they are worth repairing, but because they are so rare (and old) it has been difficult to find a shop willing to work on them. After a lot of searching, I found a place down in Portland, OR that will look at them and give me an estimate. I have written up descriptions of all the various issues with each camera body. I am not sure I want to trust the USPS with these rare bodies (the f 2.0 model is the only one I've seen) Here's the write-up:

Mamiya Camera #782605
Model: Magazine 35
Lens: 4.8cm f2.0
Problems/Condition:
• Advance Lever is “gritty”- not smooth
• 1/500 second speed does not work
• Slow Speeds are inconsistent- usually fires at a higher speeds
• Shutter release button is TOO Firm- you have to press hard to activate
• Removable magazine/back has a tight winding spool (right side- the silver one with gears)

Other functions- Rangefinder, Viewfinder, Rewind, Aperture, Speed selector, Focus, etc. all seem OK. I have shot film with the camera and had good results- The main issue is the shutter release button

Mamiya Camera #782070
Model: Magazine 35
Lens: 5cm f2.8
Problems/Condition:
• Advance Lever is smooth BUT does not return quickly
• 1/500 second speed does not work
• Shutter is inconsistent- sometimes fires fine- other times with a delay
• Shutter release button is inconsistent- sometime only a light touch activates, other time a firm press is needed
• Removable magazine/back has a tight tensioning spool (left side- the thin silver one)- doesn’t spin freely
• Rangefinder Window is loose/crooked- MOVES when the shutter is fired!

Other functions- Rangefinder, Viewfinder, Rewind, Aperture, Speed selector, Focus, etc. all seem OK. I have shot film with the camera and had good results- The main issue is the erratic shutter.

Old 01-20-2015   #40
cassel

Quick Update-

the Cameras are at Blue Moon Camera and Machine (or at one of their contractors) in Portland Oregon. Got a call the first week of January that they believe that both bodies are repairable and I approved work to commence.

It will likely be several more weeks (minimum) before they are ready...fingers crossed!

I am missing this system- especially the interchangeable backs- it fits my needs just about perfectly. It takes me a few weeks to shoot just one roll and I often want to change film types during that time.