Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: What is your favorite B&W emulsion?
Tri-X 271 33.62%
Tmax-400 50 6.20%
Tmax-100 26 3.23%
Tmax-3200 4 0.50%
HP5 121 15.01%
FP4 64 7.94%
Delta 400 22 2.73%
Delta 100 30 3.72%
Delta 3200 6 0.74%
Acros 400 22 2.73%
Acros 100 68 8.44%
Other 122 15.14%
Voters: 806. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2013   #41
telenous

Over the years I think I may have used more rolls of TriX than HP5+. Regardless of intensity of use I think I like(d) Kodak Plus-X most of all.

flickr

"We stopped a bit further down from Amchit and looked at the sun sinking in the quiet Sea of Phoenix. Yet, why is it that sometimes one sees things clearly -- I mean to say, as when the camera is appropriately set." George Seferis

Old 01-21-2013   #42
John Lawrence

Dependent on what I'm shooting:

HP5+

APX 100

Acros 100

John

Old 01-21-2013   #43
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbiter View Post
T-Max 400 is a versatile film that I shoot at different ratings with happy results. In wintery Seattle a modification of the sunny f/16 rule to cloudy f/2.8 generally works, and this film gives good results rated at ASA 800. On a bright day the film works well rated at ASA 200. So if I'm packing only one film, this one is it.
Same here, right down to the city. When it's brighter I shoot ACROS.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 01-21-2013   #44
Black
Photographer.

The silvery greys of HP5+ are the clincher for me. After that, I'm quite whorish and will go with pretty much anything

Old 01-21-2013   #45
Ed Weatherly

I love TriX especially in 35mm. I have also been playing with Arista EDU in MF and HP5 in 35mm. I like them all but love TriX in every form. TriX in Rodinal or D76 is my pick.

Old 01-21-2013   #46
KenR

I have been using Tmax400 exclusively for the past few years. Maybe it's me, but Tri-X seems both grainy and mushy compared to Tmax400. I've tried D-76 1:1, HC 110 and Xtol 1:1 and didn't like the results that I got. When I tried various slower emulsions (Tmax 100, Plus X and Pan F) I found that they weren't worth the extra effort of having 2 different films with me, so I have standardized on the Tmax400.

Old 01-21-2013   #47
Peter_S

FP4+ by far...
Nikon Coolscan LS-8000ED

www.ps-photo.net

Twitter
Voigtländer Photographer
LFI Gallery

Old 01-21-2013   #48
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Kodak Double X - it dries flat (I have been wrestling with some TriX this morning - clock spring - and the scanner groaned). The XX also has a bit more latitude for Sunny f16 shooting. Both XX and XXX work fine as does ORWO 74 as 400 iso films.

Old 01-21-2013   #49
haempe
negative guy

My favorite was APX100.
Nowadays I shoot mostly Polypan F and Orwo N74+

Old 01-21-2013   #50
bwcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
Kodak Double X - it dries flat (I have been wrestling with some TriX this morning - clock spring - and the scanner groaned). The XX also has a bit more latitude for Sunny f16 shooting. Both XX and XXX work fine as does ORWO 74 as 400 iso films.
Double-X sure looks nice. Has it been discontinues, or do you need to know the guy that knows the guy to get it? Can't find it anywhere.

Old 01-21-2013   #51
Sylvester

Agfa/Rollei 80S for the moment
I use a lot Tri-X but it curls a hell lot... in the wrong way.
Rollei curls how film is supposed to roll... scans easier. It also has finer grain since it's lower speed... I can manage the 1/30 of a second inside...

Last edited by Sylvester : 01-21-2013 at 22:23. Reason: added details on my explanation

Old 01-22-2013   #52
carlcox

hp5 has the look I want.

Old 01-22-2013   #53
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
Double-X sure looks nice. Has it been discontinues, or do you need to know the guy that knows the guy to get it? Can't find it anywhere.
Easiest way for me to get Double-X is to call the "Film Ordering Line" at Kodak's Cinema & Television Division (in New York City). Their telephone number is 1-800-621-3456.

I ordered two rolls of 400' Double-X several months ago this way, they take VISA. Cost per roll was $140.76 plus UPS shipping. I had the package in two days. That's quick.

400' of Double-X will make about 80 rolls of 36 exposure film. So it is cheap to buy (fresh film) and easy, too.

Old 01-22-2013   #54
ayazdani

Tri-x w' Acros 100 coming in at a close second.

http://stratacollective.com

Old 01-22-2013   #55
RobGetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Easiest way for me to get Double-X is to call the "Film Ordering Line" at Kodak's Cinema & Television Division (in New York City). Their telephone number is 1-800-621-3456.
Wow. I can't believe that still exists. You can kiss it goodbye in the next two years. Unless Christopher Nolan and Spielberg pony up enough to keep the cellulose running. Unlikely.

Old 01-23-2013   #56
petronius

Polypan F.

Old 01-23-2013   #57
animalhairs

I voted Tri-X even though I usually shoot XX. At half of the cost, it's close/good enough for me.

Old 01-23-2013   #58
stratcat

I love the tones and grain of Acros 100, but the versatility of Tri-X makes it my go-to b&w film. I love HP5+ too and will shoot that happily if Tri-X goes the way of the dodo.

Old 01-23-2013   #59
Turtle

Out of these, I use TriX the most (and like it a lot) but the only ones that really stand out and make me think about the film are the 3200 emulsions. TriX is reliable, but Tmax 3200 and D 3200 can be spectacular in their own right if used specifically for the look, esp with big prints

Old 01-23-2013   #60
RAZOR

Hp5 in D76 for 35mm
Fp4 in Pyrocat HD for 120

Old 01-23-2013   #61
filmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Out of these, I use TriX the most (and like it a lot) but the only ones that really stand out and make me think about the film are the 3200 emulsions. TriX is reliable, but Tmax 3200 and D 3200 can be spectacular in their own right if used specifically for the look, esp with big prints
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratcat View Post
I love the tones and grain of Acros 100, ...
Grain in Acros 100? What grain? Sharp as hell though...

Old 01-23-2013   #62
bwcolor

Quote:

I ordered two rolls of 400' Double-X several months ago this way, they take VISA. Cost per roll was $140.76 plus UPS shipping. I had the package in two days. That's quick.

400' of Double-X will make about 80 rolls of 36 exposure film. So it is cheap to buy (fresh film) and easy, too.
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-26-2013   #63
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Grain in Acros 100? What grain? Sharp as hell though...
You get a bit of grain if you develop it in Rodinal. I prefer XTOL 1+1, with N-0.5 or N-1 development (EI 64 or 80). Then the grain is almost nonexistent and it scans wonderfully with that clear base. In either case, sharp as hell and with beautiful rolloff in the shadows. When developing for EI 100 I must take some care not to overexpose.

But if I have to choose just one film it will be TMAX400-2 or HP5+.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 01-26-2013   #64
brainwood
Registered Film User

Big fan of HP5+ in Rodinal particularly in 120

but I ticked the 'other' box as my all time favourite is Agfa APX100 in Rodinal

Yet to try Silvermax though !!

RFF Gallery

chrisbrainwood.co.uk

Old 01-26-2013   #65
sparrow6224

I voted Tri-X which is what I shoot these days but my true favorite n'existe pas -- Neopan 1600. I shot it at 800 and I thought it was beautiful. After those, Acros. Also beautiful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/commodiusvicus/

Old 01-28-2013   #66
Doug Smith

I had to vote Other as I have been a long-time fan of both APX100 and Plus-X. My supply of both is dwindling rapidly however, so I am shooting FP4 these days with good results.

Old 01-29-2013   #67
Cyriljay

TrI-X and Hp5 and Neopan 400 as and option

Old 01-29-2013   #68
dof
Fiat Lux

I voted "Other" as Plus-X is my current favorite. When my stock runs out, I'll likely revert my reply to Tri-X (otherwise known as my 'second boyfriend').

Old 01-29-2013   #69
filmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dof View Post
I voted "Other" as Plus-X is my current favorite. When my stock runs out, I'll likely revert to my reply to Tri-X (otherwise known as my 'second boyfriend').
Try FP4+ 125. Very similar!

Old 01-30-2013   #70
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGetz View Post
Wow. I can't believe that still exists. You can kiss it goodbye in the next two years. Unless Christopher Nolan and Spielberg pony up enough to keep the cellulose running. Unlikely.
Here's a recent quote from the Kodak Cinema Division website. Sounds to me like they are doing OK.

First, Kodak and Kodak’s products remain relevant in today’s marketplace. The company continues to play an essential role within the broad spectrum of markets it serves including the motion picture industry, film for consumer electronic applications, and the printing business. About 33% of the world’s consumer electronics are made using Kodak printed circuit board film. And today, Kodak products touch 40% of the world’s commercially printed pages.

Our Entertainment Imaging (EI) business also continues to be a leader in the marketplace. Just take a look at the films getting Oscar® buzz—Lincoln, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Silver Linings Playbook, Les Miserables, Argo, Django Unchained, and Moonrise Kingdom, among manyothers were all shot on Kodak. We still manufacture billions of feet of film every year. We also recently signed four new contracts with major Hollywood studios that are committed to buying Kodak film products through the end of 2015. According to Kodak’s current business Emergence Plan, EI continues to be the largest driver of film manufacturing volume for the company into the future.

There are also alternative demands for our film technologies – which feed a number of printing applications as well as thin film and specialty chemicals growth opportunities. We are working with customers that need film base outside of the imaging category (flexible displays, fuel cells, thin film batteries, etc.) and who are taking advantage of our experience, process development and manufacturing methods to help build solutions that meet the needs of their specific applications. Leveraging our manufacturing expertise and know-how within film, our deposition technology and history in materials science, substrates and chemistry are key to our success in the future.

Read more: http://www.motion.kodak.com/motion/A...#ixzz2JUvqdyWf

Old 01-30-2013   #71
grapejohnson

I love HP5+, Tri-X is amazingly versatile, but I didn't vote for it because of the curl.

Old 01-30-2013   #72
grapejohnson

Surprised not to see Fomapan 100

Old 01-30-2013   #73
stompyq

I voted Fuji Acros 100 in 120mm. Absolutly love the results I get with Acros developed in diafine. Tri-X comes a close second

Old 01-30-2013   #74
RobGetz

Quote:
Here's a recent quote from the Kodak Cinema Division website. Sounds to me like they are doing OK.

Read more: http://www.motion.kodak.com/motion/A...#ixzz2JUvqdyWf

Pretty interesting, but I wouldn't count on it. Many of the sectors and products listed have nothing to do with cinema filmstock. The film for consumer electronics is not actually pictorial film, what they're referring to is known as photolithography. Some of those films dont even use silver halides. The "contract" that the studios signed with kodak lasts until 2015, two years, exactly as long as Roger Ebert predicted it will take virtually all cinemas in the US to convert to digital. Very convenient. It was probably a formality--the least they can do after a business relationship lasting near a century. I have no doubt that Kodak imaging and eastman chemical will probably be viable businesses well into the future, but motion picture imaging will not.

Old 01-30-2013   #75
dof
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post

Try FP4+ 125. Very similar!
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out when the time comes!

Old 01-30-2013   #76
Lawrence A.

Wish I could vote for two. HP5 is my old standby, and when I need the speed is still my film of choice. If I can shoot at 80 iso, though, the Fuji Acros is really sweet.

Guillevic

Old 02-01-2013   #77
van_d

HP5 is my standard go-to B&W film.

I like Tri-X as a film equally, though. I just prefer HP5 because I prefer Ilford as a company. 3rd favourite would be FP4, followed by XP2.

My Blog
Flickr

Old 02-01-2013   #78
mfogiel

The more I think about B&W photography, the more I am convinced, that the prime reason for shooting film, is the beautiful tonality you can get from traditional medium and high speed silver films, like APX100, FP4, HP5, Tri X. It is a wise step to pull the film somewhat and find developing regime that gets you the best tonality for the job. Slower films, and films that generally are sensitive to overexposure, are more suited for low contrast scenes. Neopan 400 is a bit of a hybrid between 400 and 100 ISO films in terms of tonality and grain, and is also beautiful, if you avoid pushing it.

Old 02-01-2013   #79
Erik van Straten

Tmax400. A modern TriX with extended tonal range and finer grain.

Erik.

Old 02-01-2013   #80
alienmeatsack

This thread interests me since I am a primarily B/W photographer who is just relearning what is out there and what I like. My biggest struggle is that I also develop my own film and am also trying to learn what films work best in what developers. I use Diafine currently to get consistent results and compare/contrast the assorted films. I was having issues getting good results and grain clumping with my DD-X so I switched for the time being so the developer/developing time is not a factor as much.

I've used Ultrafine Xtreme 400 and Pro 100, Ilford PanF 50 and HP5 Plus 400 so far and have been pretty happy with all four. The Ilford films both felt 'nicer' in the hand, less flimsy stock. But all four produce decent results. This is just from my own eye and taste standpoint as a newbie (again) to the world of B/W film.

I've jotted down notes from the thread for my next purchases and hope to sample of the suggestions here. Thanks everyone for the ideas, it's nice to have such a wide range of input of seasoned photographers to get the old wallet worked into a tizzy.