Old 12-30-2015   #41
peer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
Alright. I think this thing might just be a piece of crap. I received my second one as a replacement from B&H and I'm still having the same issues with the batch scan and the frame being rotated.

Unless anyone has some tips that would really turn this thing around I think I'm gonna send this back for the Plustek OpticFilm 8200i Ai.
No offense, but are you sure the frame itself isn't rotated? I got this scanner a couple days ago from B&H and like you, all my frames are slightly rotated. However, if I look closely at the negative, they *are* slightly rotated.

There's no question this scanner has almost no overscan ability. The max scan area is 36.5mm x 24.3mm. That's like 1%. For comparison the 8200i is 36.8mm x 25.4mm or 4%. Don't forget that if you are scanning slides in a standard mount, you are probably losing 10% of the area due to the mount, unless you are going to remount all of them in full-frame mounts.

Personally, I can live with the tiny overscan ability, but I'm also having the issue with the feed being almost totally non-functional. There's major slippage. When it tries to advance one frame, it will only get halfway. Also had a situation last night where one 4-frame strip was inside the machine and stuck, with the wheels spinning. Hopefully another one from B&H won't have this issue.

Old 12-30-2015   #42
Jhausler

Quote:
Originally Posted by peer View Post
Also had a situation last night where one 4-frame strip was inside the machine and stuck, with the wheels spinning. Hopefully another one from B&H won't have this issue.
My first unit from B&H did this. just get another.. hopefully that one will hit the mark..

Maybe you have the one i sent back

Old 12-31-2015   #43
peer

Have you (or anyone) tried sticking strips of 2 frames in the XA? That's another thing that bothers me about it. Supposedly it requires at least 3 frames but I think virtually all my rolls have one strip with 2 frames.

Old 01-01-2016   #44
Jhausler

no, i never tried a 2 strip. I always try to cut at least 3's at a min, if not 4s. you could cut them to singles and maybe slide mount them?

Old 01-02-2016   #45
peer

Okay, unfortunately these were all cut many years ago by a lab. It's tempting to get the XE as a replacement, so I don't have to worry about frame advancement and cutting up my negatives.

When I mailed scanace, they said even 3 frames was too few and that 4 was the official minimum. Seems like that should be stated somewhere on the package. It's not even in the manual.

Old 01-04-2016   #46
DrMcCoy

Quote:
No offense, but are you sure the frame itself isn't rotated? I got this scanner a couple days ago from B&H and like you, all my frames are slightly rotated. However, if I look closely at the negative, they *are* slightly rotated.
None taken - I actually considered this myself. I futzed around with the angle of the strip, looked at it with the naked eye, and inserted strips from different cameras. All of them seem to be scanning at the same angle. Today is gonna be the first proper day I get to take a whack at the "replacement scanner" I got from B&H like two weeks ago (hooray holidays. . .).

Quote:
There's no question this scanner has almost no overscan ability. The max scan area is 36.5mm x 24.3mm. That's like 1%. For comparison the 8200i is 36.8mm x 25.4mm or 4%. Don't forget that if you are scanning slides in a standard mount, you are probably losing 10% of the area due to the mount, unless you are going to remount all of them in full-frame mounts.
I had meant to buy an 8200i if this didn't work out, but B&H's sale went off so I'll probably try the macro-lens/DSLR technique next.

Quote:
Personally, I can live with the tiny overscan ability, but I'm also having the issue with the feed being almost totally non-functional. There's major slippage. When it tries to advance one frame, it will only get halfway. Also had a situation last night where one 4-frame strip was inside the machine and stuck, with the wheels spinning. Hopefully another one from B&H won't have this issue.
Oh wow that's pretty bad - way worse than what I was experiencing. Hope you can get a good replacement!

Old 01-16-2016   #47
DrMcCoy

Finally gave up and sent it back for a refund instead of a replacement. Honestly, based on what I see online, I think they're jut kinda crap. Another issue I couldn't get rid of was the dust. There's no way to get in there - so if something trails in there you just have to take an air blower and keep pumping away until you think it's gone. Then take the time to test with another scan. If not, try again. Even if the resultant scans look alright - I just can't justify the amount of work I had to put in.

Same problems with RPS-10M
Old 10-13-2016   #48
RDX

Same problems with RPS-10M

Hi, (English is not my language, so I hope you can understand what I'm going to describe).

I red all the posts because I have the same problem so well described by "Peer" and others : I'm also having the issue with the feed being almost totally non-functional. There's major slippage. When it tries to advance one frame, it will only get halfway. Etc.

I received a first RPS and had to return it back to Digit (a good retailer, nice people) because it was impossible to manage to have a good framing. I called several times the Reflecta technician in Germany (nice guy who spent times with me on the phone). I sent him video taken with my smartphone. Of course, he never said he knew the problem of bad adjustment of the frames, he couldn't say that poor adjustements are the main problem of this scanner.

With the second RPS, same problem, bad adjustment, always stopping between two photos, etc. I was going to give up when I did one more attempt (attempt I did with the first one but never gave improvement) : to insert the film emulsion "down" and not "UP" as written in the pitiful poor manual book. And yet, I asked the Reflecta technician if it was not a clerical error to say to feed the film emulsion up, he said no, you have to insert the film emulsion up, "as said in the book".

Result of my test : inserting the film emulsion "down" = no problem anymore with the transportation and the framing. 98 % of all my tests were good. At last ! (and you get the photos directly in the right position into the bargain !).

BUT... the day after, the mecanism blocked some times with a strident noise and the only way to get rid of it was to turn off the device. It did that randomly for an hour, several times. It could work for a photo and not working right after for the same photo. I tried different films, tried again with the film I knew were working fine the day before, etc.
Later on, it was working fine again with no problem.

My conclusion is that the RPS-10M is not at all a reliable equipment. I'm gonna return it back again to Digit (they already sent me their consentment) and buy RPS's little brother, the Reflecta Proscan 10T. I hope this model will work fine. Really too bad for the automatic feeding which is great... when it works.

About filmscanner.info, I've red a lot of their tests (reviews) and I'm not sure they are so honest. Don't forget they do sell equipments, and at every review, they always push ahead Silverfast sofware (they never talk about VueScan for instance, which is surprising for people who intend to make objective reviews). I wonder if they are not the main retailer of this sofware...

I hope you could understand me and that it can help people who consider to buy a RPS-10M. Sorry not to be positive about this device. I spent a lot of time on it, and it is my experience.

For me, to put on the market such a non reliable device is not honest, and it is the criticism Reflecta deserves, I guess. Looks like a chinese product.

Sincerely
RDX

Old 10-28-2016   #49

I have an XA and have struggled with it as well. After a year of use it started to develop prominent horizontal and vertical banding.

Sent it to the dealer for a repair (out of warranty), they replaced the mirrors etc. No improvement, they tried hard to fix it, but gave up in the end. No factory response. Batch scanning is fine when it works, but that seems a rare event. my conclusion: avoid.

Now happily using a Pakon F135+, BEOON and a DURST enlarger for real prints.

Old 10-31-2016   #50
SaveKodak

Well, I can't account for the tech problems people are having, but I'll continue to report that I LOVE mine. I finally figured out getting near-perfectly aligned batch scans, and I'm more and more impressed with the output. I find myself really looking forward to shooting 35mm just because now I know I can get great scans.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #51
brennanphotoguy

I've had mine for a month and it's been 100% perfect up until the other day. I've been using VueScan. My process is, start up the scanner and let it finish making it's noises, boot up VueScan, insert film, start scanning. The other day it was having an issue, when the screen in VueScan changes to ask which frame you want to preview it would stay up for second and go away and say there was no film in the scanner. I'd restart and it would be fine. Then a day later not even a restart would fix it. I started doing some research and found that someone else had been having a "communication error" with the scanner in CyberView and Silverfast. I tried those programs and got the same error. I restarted my computer and reset everything and it worked flawlessly last night till I turned it off and then found some more negs that I wanted to scan and now it's doing the same thing except not even a computer restart will make it work. I updated firmware, restarted the computer, unplugged everything checked the ports, etc and nothing seems to help. I think it might just be my unit but has anyone else had this issue? I might be returning it and just grabbing another one.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #52
Jhausler

Have you called their tech support? They were helpful with me. If you're still under the seller's return warranty, you might as well return. Where did you buy it?

Old 1 Week Ago   #53
Mpox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
I finally figured out getting near-perfectly aligned batch scans, and I'm more and more impressed with the output.
Mind sharing your tricks? I have had mine for a year and a half and have not even dared to try batch scanning. Even going frame to frame manually is somewhat inconsistent, and scanning at 5000ppi setting it just takes too bloody long to risk misaligned scans.

Im using mine with Silverfast SE 8 48->24bit mode, every extra "enhancement" function I can find turned off and negafix set to "other-other-monochrome (I only shoot bw) and I do like what Im getting. Heres a random chruch organ shot on 400TX and guestimated exposure I scanned a couple of days ago. https://flic.kr/p/QRQ4BM

Now if I could only stop worrying about it breaking down...again...

Old 1 Week Ago   #54
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpox View Post
Mind sharing your tricks? I have had mine for a year and a half and have not even dared to try batch scanning. Even going frame to frame manually is somewhat inconsistent, and scanning at 5000ppi setting it just takes too bloody long to risk misaligned scans.

Im using mine with Silverfast SE 8 48->24bit mode, every extra "enhancement" function I can find turned off and negafix set to "other-other-monochrome (I only shoot bw) and I do like what Im getting. Heres a random chruch organ shot on 400TX and guestimated exposure I scanned a couple of days ago. https://flic.kr/p/QRQ4BM

Why are you batch scanning at 5000ppi?

Old 1 Week Ago   #55
SaveKodak

Quote:

I had to cut the lead to basically the width of a frame break. From there it establishes the first frame.

I've completely stopped doing full roll scans though. As I've said on another post on this forum, I realized I was wasting my time. I cull on a light table, and make the best scans I can of the images I pick. I honestly don't even think it takes much longer to do it this way, and I like the images I get a LOT more.

Old 1 Week Ago   #56
Mpox

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
Why are you batch scanning at 5000ppi?
Well Im not... However I would quite often, depending on the roll or film strip Im working on, if I could actually trust the scanner to align the frames properly...

Taking the time and drive space to batch scan at 5000 and just deleting junk is a minor annoyance compared with having to sit there in front of the computer hand feeding every frame into it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #57
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Well Im not... However I would quite often, depending on the roll or film strip Im working on, if I could actually trust the scanner to align the frames properly...

Taking the time and drive space to batch scan at 5000 and just deleting junk is a minor annoyance compared with having to sit there in front of the computer hand feeding every frame into it.
But you wouldn't be scanning every frame if you selected what you wanted to at least preview on a light table. Alternatively, if you REALLY want to batch scan then why not do it on the lowest setting possible and then make your selects?

Old 1 Week Ago   #58
Mpox

Quote:
I had to cut the lead to basically the width of a frame break. From there it establishes the first frame.
Thanks, Ill try that. Mine was much more consistent after I got it back from its first trip to Germany (the feed mechanism broke down after the first 150 scans) but its starting to sound and act like its going home again soon. Good thing I have another 5 months of free service warranty left. Should have bought the 10T me thinks..

Old 1 Week Ago   #59
SaveKodak

Quote:
Thanks, Ill try that. Mine was much more consistent after I got it back from its first trip to Germany (the feed mechanism broke down after the first 150 scans) but its starting to sound and act like its going home again soon. Good thing I have another 5 months of free service warranty left. Should have bought the 10T me thinks..
Sometimes I worry about it breaking down but thus far, no issues. I was so impressed with it actually that I bought it's big brother, the PF120. I find them both a little quirky but the quality really is pretty much what I was getting out of a Coolscan 9000 I used to use.

Hopefully Kodak will renew interest in designing film scanners for home users. Can you believe that the Hasselblad X1 & 5 have been out for over 10 years and have never seen an update or price drop??? It's very frustrating to me that we have so few options available to us.

Old 1 Week Ago   #60
Mpox

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
But you wouldn't be scanning every frame if you selected what you wanted to at least preview on a light table. Alternatively, if you REALLY want to batch scan then why not do it on the lowest setting possible and then make your selects?
Im not scanning every frame, every time. I preview and selectively scan most of the time, but then there are times when Id rather just let the machine do its thing and focus on something else entirely.

Old 1 Week Ago   #61
Mpox

Quote:
Hopefully Kodak will renew interest in designing film scanners for home users. Can you believe that the Hasselblad X1 & 5 have been out for over 10 years and have never seen an update or price drop??? It's very frustrating to me that we have so few options available to us.
I hear that! But TBH if I were Hassy I would have done exactly the same. There is no competition to force them to updates or lower pricing. If anything the units have been a good investment for buyers in terms of resale value..

Old 1 Week Ago   #62
brennanphotoguy

I mean, they should have at least kept the ports updated. There really isn't an excuse for that.

Old 1 Week Ago   #63
brennanphotoguy

Also, swapped my PIXA out for a fresh unit and it's working flawlessly now.