Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Scanners / Scanner Software

View Poll Results: What is your favorite scanning software?
Vuescan 168 50.76%
Silverfast 67 20.24%
Epson Scan 65 19.64%
Other (please state) 31 9.37%
Voters: 331. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2014   #81
Samouraï

VueScan seems to be compatible with far more scanners than Silverfast. There is just one, continuously updated build. Super simple, and seemingly stable. Silverfast was a mess and poorly written, but when it worked it was fine. I just like the design, stability, pricing structure, and results better with VueScan.

Old 01-10-2014   #82
thereabouts

I just want the simplest way to scan with the maximum amount of data - all fiilters off. Vuescan makes this easy. If there is a way to do this in Silverfast, they've certainly made it as hard as possible to achieve.

Old 01-11-2014   #83
gb hill

I like the epsonscan I get with b&w with my V500. Color is ok. I should shoot more color to learn the curves to get better scans. Or maybe it's not the scans I'm getting but the editing. I find editing from PS6 more difficult to tweak color than b&w.

Old 01-11-2014   #84
robert blu
quiet photographer

Since a couple of weeks I'm trying to learn Vuescan but I find it complicated and it is not yet under my control, as consequence I find terrible colors. Therefore for my 5000ed I still prefer to use Nikonscan and for the Epson V600 I get better esults with the Epson Scan software.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-11-2014   #85
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Since a couple of weeks I'm trying to learn Vuescan but I find it complicated and it is not yet under my control, as consequence I find terrible colors. Therefore for my 5000ed I still prefer to use Nikonscan and for the Epson V600 I get better esults with the Epson Scan software.
robert
Same for me. I keep an old macbook running os 10.6.8 just for NikonScan4 for CS50 scanning.
The latest Epson Scan is pretty good with the V700.

Vuescan is good for results but frame spacing and framing issues make it clunky

Old 01-11-2014   #86
JPSuisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel M.A. View Post
For Coolscan 5000: Silverfast. The IR channel when using VueScan is effectively useless.
This is true, but with VueScan you can just turn it off when scanning black and white.

Otherwise, I recommend VueScan Professional because:

1.) It gives great "raw" DNG scans that can be easily manipulated in Lightroom (or Aperture)
2.) In one piece of software, I can use all my current (and future) scanners that I own (3 currently, including one Nikon 5000 and another an Epson 750)
3.) It is easy to manage software, because it is free upgrades and all old versions are easily available

Honestly speaking, I have never seen a better value in software programs. The only downside is it takes a while to find the right scanning process and the interface is a little difficult. When reading Chris' notes, I see that I basically came to a very similar workflow.

Old 01-11-2014   #87
JPSuisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP1 View Post
I voted "other". If there had been an option to vote "none" I would have chosen that. We can argue forever which software & technique produces the best scan, however from a usability point of view, especially for batch scans, they are all awfull.

I have a V750. Epson Scan looks and behaves like something from the early '90's. Vuescan: life is too short. I have never ever managed to get it to reliably and consistently batch scan. Silverfast: probably the best of a bad bunch. Had it not been bundled with the scanner I doubt I would have paid that much for a piece of software that is tied to one piece of hardware. As for their upgrage policy...

These days I use a Nikon DSLR, a macro lens, a slide holder and a light source. Much better, much, much faster and no clunky software

John
I find it very easy to set VueScan up for batch scans. What is true is that for some few film rolls it doesn't center the film right. Usually, though, I am washing dishes the same time I am scanning... because it does work.

Old 01-13-2014   #88
DrTebi
Slide Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinder 35 View Post
Vuescan, which allows me to do RAW scans on Minolta Multipro.
Just for your information:
The software that comes with your Minolta Multipro also allows you to do raw scans. You have to go into preferences and choose "16bit linear" to get a raw scan; you should then also turn off the color matching options.

I have been using Vuescan for a while, but found it to tedious to setup and it had a few bugs where it would reset some settings in between sessions... now I just use my Macbook and make raw scans with the Minolta Software. Much simpler and quicker.
Ricoh GXR with the A12 modules for the instant gratification.

All my favorite analog images are on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drtebi/

Old 01-14-2014   #89
RSilva

I haved used epson scan, silverfast and vuescan.
Vuescan is the most versatile because I can use it with almost any scanner also, I really like the ability to lock exposure and remove the real orange mask from the colour negs I am scanning. What I don´t like from Vuescan is the lack of negative profiles for the most important films like Tri X.
The Silverfast interface is just horrible and got worse from version 6 to version 8.
Epson software is good for b&w scanning but for color negs it doesn´t work well in removing the orange color mask.

Old 08-02-2016   #90
Peter_S

Vuescan. Runs on Ubuntu/Linux and for my Nikon Coolscan 8000ED.
Nikon Coolscan LS-8000ED

www.ps-photo.net

Twitter
Voigtländer Photographer
LFI Gallery

Old 08-02-2016   #91
Ronald M

Minolta that came with my 5400.

Tried to down grade computers to handle it with no luck.

Old 08-02-2016   #92
DrTebi
Slide Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Minolta that came with my 5400.

Tried to down grade computers to handle it with no luck.
Yes, I wish they would upgrade their software. I kept an old Macbook, from back when they made the black and white versions, and never went beyond the Leopard version just so that I can use my Minolta scanning software.

I like it better than Vuescan... I just need raw scans, Vuescan has way too many options, and kept forgetting my settings...
Ricoh GXR with the A12 modules for the instant gratification.

All my favorite analog images are on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drtebi/

Old 08-10-2016   #93
Lucadomi

Vuescan worked very well so far on my very old Thinkpad and atixscan.
I can do batch scans on the 135 b&w film. 120 takes me a little longer and I don' t always remember how to switch from 6x6 to 6x4.5.
Now I have to scan few rolls of Porta 160 that I shot with the Bessa R2 during the Summer vacation.
I never scanned color film, I usually do slides.
I hope I will find good settings on Vuescan to scan 35mm color film. That's the task for the weekend

™Revolutionary action might be unnecessary, but revolutionary thought is indispensable, and, as the outcome of thought, a rational and constructive hope." B.R.

Old 08-10-2016   #94
unixrevolution

Vuescan works on my Epson 4990, which I primarily use for LF, and my Canoscan 8800f, which I use for 35mm and 120. It also runs on Windows, Mac, or Linux, which is a big plus, and has the best interface I've used.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 08-10-2016   #95
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Epson scan. Simple, people who wrote it seems to use it as well. VueScan is much more crapier. Silverfast is after VueScan. All I need from those applications is correctly scanned .tiff file which is edited in LR. Epson Scan does it perfectly and on auto with any kind of the film.

Old 08-10-2016   #96
vbsoto

I've used Vuescan heavily at times, but since I got a "new" scanner with ICE I've reverted back to EpsonScan since Vuescan doesn't support ICE.

Old 08-10-2016   #97
kiemchacsu

Nikon scan for coolscan 5000. Never happy with Vuescan and always curious why people pay extra bucks for that instead of solid bundle software coming with the scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 08-10-2016   #98
Ronald M

Epson scan for my Epson flatbed.

Original KM software for my KM5400. No bug, no trouble. I wish I had no upgraded the Mac OS that would run it

Old Silverfast was garbage. Tried a new version and was beautiful. However $500 for a 10 year old scanner with no repair support is not a good investment. Silverfast is scanner specific so I can not use it on another machine. Tried plustec SE on the 5400 and no go.

That leaves Vuescan. I do not like results so the scanner sits unused for years. Shame because the 5400 is a really nice scanner.

Old 08-10-2016   #99
rfaspen

Put me in the Vuescan camp. Why? Because it works adequately-to-excellent with a very, very wide range of scanners.

I've moved through a few scanners over the years, so its been nice to have Vuescan (Professional, by the way). Currently a Minolta Dualscan IV and an Epson 4490. I keep trying to grab a recent Epson flatbed for all my MF and LF negs. I might even start shooting MF and LF again if that happens. I'm confident Vuescan will be ready for that scanner when I get it.

Old 08-16-2016   #100
seagrove

I am very comfortable with the Nikon Scan s/w that I use with a Super Coolscan 5000 ED.
Yashica Electro35 GS, X-E1, XF 1,4/35mm, Nikkor 1,8/85mm AF-D & Fujifilm X100S

Old 08-16-2016   #101
narsuitus

I have used CanoScan, SilverFast, and EpsonScan scanning software.

I was very satisfied with the CanoScan on my Canon 9900F scanner until Canon stopped supporting the version I had.

I tried the SilverFast but thought it too difficult to use and the price too high.

I have been satisfied with the EpsonScan that was bundled with my Epson V850 scanner.

Old 08-16-2016   #102
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

Vuescan. Because it runs with both my Plustek film and my Canon flatbed scanner. And because I found Silverfast (came with the Plustek) the most confusing and unstable SW I ever used.

Old 09-27-2016   #103
Hannes

I voted other: NikonScan with Coolscan 4000ED on Win 7

Old 09-27-2016   #104
bhop73

I see Vuescan is winning. I'm not surprised, but personally, I've never been able to get a good scan from it. I dunno if i'm just doing it wrong or what, but Epsonscan works better for me.

Old 09-28-2016   #105
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhop73 View Post
I see Vuescan is winning. I'm not surprised, but personally, I've never been able to get a good scan from it. I dunno if i'm just doing it wrong or what, but Epsonscan works better for me.

What's wrong with the scans you get from Vuescan? What scanner do you use?

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Buy My Prints in RFF Classifieds

Support My Work on Patreon

Old 09-30-2016   #106
sepiareverb
Dead ringer for Mr Grinch

Saw this thread pop up again and thought "What is your favorite dental procedure?" After having spent the last few days having to scan a lot.

Old 09-30-2016   #107
SaveKodak

Vuescan for my primefilm XA, Epson scan for my V700.

Vuescan needs a UI overhaul though. Some of the core controls seem very obscured behind perameters that make more sense to a software designer than a photographer. It might "dumb it down" but I'd like to see just basic things like exposure and simpler color controls. They could also expand their color neg profiles by a lot. My dream would be if they would integrate various looks, like the popular Fuji 400H via Fuji Frontier look. Not sure how easy that is to do... The curves tool in vuescan is different from the ones I've seen before and it's a little tough to figure out. My scans are great though. Multiexposure is an incredibly useful tool.

SilverFast is obnoxiously over priced. Like absurdly and hilariously over priced. Who in their right mind is paying them so much money? Especially since you would need to do it for every scanner you own, unlike Vuescan which is 60 dollars, once.

Old 12-20-2016   #108
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
Nikon scan for coolscan 5000. Never happy with Vuescan and always curious why people pay extra bucks for that instead of solid bundle software coming with the scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nikon scan just plain won't work on modern Macs. For Mac users, Vuescan was a lifesaver.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Buy My Prints in RFF Classifieds

Support My Work on Patreon

Old 12-21-2016   #109
gnuyork

I use VueScan out of necessity. I prefer Silverfast, but it's too expensive. I have the version of Silvefast that came with my Epson flatbed, and I use VueScan for my Minolta film scanner.

Old 12-26-2016   #110
analoged

Vuescan hands down.

Old 12-26-2016   #111
p.giannakis

In the past i used to have an EPSON V370 - tried the Viewscan on it but i never managed to get a decent picture out of it. Tried most of the tutorials on the net - I couldn't be bothered spending so much time trying to figure out the scanning software and then constantly tweaking it before every film scan. I went back to the EPSON software and i was very happy with the results - they were good enough for my taste.
When the EPSON scanner broke down, i got a second hand Canon 8600F - the seller included a CD with a previous version of Silverfast. I could not figure it out for the life of me - pictures came out worst than bad.

Eventually i removed it and installed Canon's Scangear. Once i figured out that the software's jpg option is *bad* and i need to save the scanned picture as TIFF or BMP and then edit it in GIMP, it has become my software of choice and i am not going back....

Old 01-08-2017   #112
aicardi

I like Vuescan. Works with Linux.

Old 01-17-2017   #113
MIkhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
• Vuescan. Only downside is the poor interface, but once you learn it, it gives incredible scans.
I second that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Nikon scan just plain won't work on modern Macs. For Mac users, Vuescan was a lifesaver.
True again.