Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 02-03-2017   #3561
skopar steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shab View Post
Surfing before the Storm

OM-1n + Zuiko 21mm 3.5 MC + Ilford Pan F Plus
Wonderful image Shab!

Old 02-13-2017   #3562
adresaba

Hello. I have and using two OM2 cameras and few beautiful lenses but spot metering and brighter meter reading in viewfinder of OM4 sounds like it would be very helpful to me (n low light situations I cannot see meter needle in my OM2). But I have no any expirience with it so if someone have it would be great to hear how exactly functions spot metering in OM4 and is it complicated to use?
I had OM1 and now OM2 and these cameras are joy to use especially with beautiful 50 1.4, 24 2.8 and 85 f2.0
Thanks

Old 02-15-2017   #3563
jajong

Hi. The OM4 meters the same as the OM2, average, unless you push the spot meter button. The spot you choose in your picture will be exposed as middle grey (in black and white terms), so if you choose to spot meter someone's face in a backlit situation, the face will appear well-exposed, while overexposing the surrounding area in the picture. This is a basic explanation of spot metering.
By the way, if you are buying an OM4 try and find out if it has an upgraded circuit ( the battery-check beep doesn't time out after 30 seconds), otherwise you will be buying a lot of batteries.
The newer model OM4T(i) doesn't have this problem.
Cheers,
Jan

Old 02-15-2017   #3564
defconfunk
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by adresaba View Post
Hello. I have and using two OM2 cameras and few beautiful lenses but spot metering and brighter meter reading in viewfinder of OM4 sounds like it would be very helpful to me...
Another (cheaper) option is an OM-2S (or OM-2SP, same thing). Despite the 2 in the name, it is a later camera that uses the OM4 chassis but with a simplified spot light meter. The OM-4 has a mutil-spot mode that lets you trigger it multiple times (this has advantages in complete lighting situations). The OM-2S is just a regular spot (works just as Jajong described it).

Also, just like the 4 (or 3, which is identical to the 4 except that it uses a mechanical shutter instead of electronically timed) is that if you leave it in Auto mode, it'll do scene averaging just like your OM-2. If you want scene averaging but with full manual, just half press the shutter in Auto mode and it will read out the light value in the view finder, then you switch to manual mode. It's very simple and quick - obviously I'm a big fan.

I don't know if all the 2S or SP models got the circuit upgrade, but I think they did (someone correct me). Mine is pretty good on batteries; no camera that uses SR44 batteries is great, they just don't hold that much electricity. On the plus side you can buy energizer "357/303" batteries in 5 packs off amazon for the price of a single SR44 at my local pharmacy, and they take up no room in a camera bag so there's no reason not to have plenty of spares with you.

Old 02-15-2017   #3565
adresaba

Thank you very much guys, this is exactly kind of information ive been looking for.I am familiar with spot metering on digi cameras but wanted to know how it works on OM4. Thing is I have offered OM4 body and winder for great price but I am undecided because I allready have enough OM2 bodys but,....spot, 3200 iso and illuminated meter needle would be very handy to have on OM so....

Old 02-15-2017   #3566
Fraser

Make sure its a good price the last two om4s I bought only cost me £40.

Old 02-15-2017   #3567
adresaba

This one costs about £40 with winder 2 and condition is excellent

Old 02-16-2017   #3568
Fraser

Quote:
This one costs about £40 with winder 2 and condition is excellent
Sounds good, have you tried to see if it has the upgraded power whatever fitted? even if it doesn't its still a good buy!

Old 02-16-2017   #3569
David Hughes

Hi,

The OM-4 spot metering can do a clever trick; if you think the wife/girlfriend's face is more important than the background then you can take 2 spot readings on her face and one on a typical bit of background and it will average them out for you with - obviously - twice as much emphasis on her face. It will take and hold and average up to eight readings.

Regards, David

Old 02-18-2017   #3570
adresaba

David Hughes that sounds interesting. I did not tested it to see if it has the upgraded power but I had very little time so I drove for a half hour to a guy who is selling this camera and then he told me that suddenly it wont fire the shutter allthou he said before that it is in perfect condition! Grrrrrr

Old 02-19-2017   #3571
David Hughes

Hmmm, don't blame me if this fails, but my immediate thought was that the battery was dead and so the shutter can't be fired. I've risked it now and then and offered scrap prices for "dud" cameras. (The alternative is to carry a set of batteries for the things and test them properly. And pay the full price!)

But, as I said, don't blame me...

Regards, David

Old 02-19-2017   #3572
jcb4718

The 'battery check' should tell you if the battery is dead or not. If the check indicates that the battery is dead and the shutter fires on the 'red 60' setting (i.e. the all mechanical 1/60sec shutter speed that doesn't need batteries) then I would be 100% confident the problem was dead batteries.

Old 02-19-2017   #3573
Ade-oh

Batteries dying very quickly is the big issue with the early OM-4 because of some fault with the printed circuit. I would think it highly likely that what happened is that the batteries have drained in this instance but, as mentioned above, you can check whether the shutter is working by putting the shutter speed ring in the M60 or B position and trying it. In the longer term, the solution is to either take the batteries out when you aren't using the camera or leave the shutter speed ring in the B position.

Old 02-19-2017   #3574
adresaba

Thing is You cannot move the shutter ring to B or 60 and batteries are new. You cant press shutter on camera but when you press one on winderit sounds Ok but curtain does not move . Anyway seller will take it to repair man . I did not bought it.

Old 02-19-2017   #3575
Jockos

Quote:
Thing is You cannot move the shutter ring to B or 60 and batteries are new. You cant press shutter on camera but when you press one on winderit sounds Ok but curtain does not move . Anyway seller will take it to repair man . I did not bought it.
I think you have to press a small button to move it to the red speeds. Also, I once put in a 'new' battery, that had been on the shelf for too long, and the shutter got stuck.
These cameras need good batteries!

.... or get a OM1 instead

Da gallery

Old 02-19-2017   #3576
adresaba

Uh i didnt know that I am used to om2 and om1 I will wait for the guy that selling it to hand it over to repairman and then maybe I will buy it if everything will be ok. After I research a little about om4, and you helped me with your suggestions and explanations, now I think I will get one anyhow
p.s. excuse me for my bad grammar and everything else my English became little rusty

Old 02-23-2017   #3577
p.giannakis

The OM-1 with the black sheep of the Zuiko family - the 35 f/2.

Old 02-23-2017   #3578
plummerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
The OM-1 with the black sheep of the Zuiko family - the 35 f/2.
In what way? I have all of the F/2.0 lenses and I find them to all be exceptional.

Old 02-23-2017   #3579
p.giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummerl View Post
In what way? I have all of the F/2.0 lenses and I find them to all be exceptional.
I only have this f/2 lens and i also find it to be very good but if you search on the internet you will see that the 35f/2 has somehow a bad reputation.

Old 02-23-2017   #3580
Goody

I'm sure this has been mentioned in all these posts but I'll put it up again -- The Nikon eyepiece diopters work with the OM1 and OM2 series of cameras - not sure about the 3 and 4. They are called DK 20 now (used to be called for FG/EM) and I believe you have to adjust your correction by a diopter (but it's on the Nikon website). Also you can use the DK22 adapter and then the round diopter for the F3. Big help for eyeglass wearers - you can see the whole frame. You do have to slide them up a little when you open the camera back as the interfere.

Old 02-23-2017   #3581
plummerl

Quote:
I only have this f/2 lens and i also find it to be very good but if you search on the internet you will see that the 35f/2 has somehow a bad reputation.
I've seen the same comments, but I also notice that quite a few of them are being originated by people using them as adapted lenses on digital. I find mine to be great, on film!

Old 02-23-2017   #3582
p.giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummerl View Post
I've seen the same comments, but I also notice that quite a few of them are being originated by people using them as adapted lenses on digital. I find mine to be great, on film!
I agree, this is a much better lens on film (especially high contrast b&w) than on digital. But even on digital, this lens is as sharp as Canon's EF 50 f/1.8.

This is a quick test i did when i bought it.

The picture:

The results:

But as you said - this lens is far better on film than on digital.

Old 03-05-2017   #3583
dtcls100

Quote:
I agree, this is a much better lens on film (especially high contrast b&w) than on digital. But even on digital, this lens is as sharp as Canon's EF 50 f/1.8.

But as you said - this lens is far better on film than on digital.
I have a zuiko 35mm f2. I have taken plenty of sharp pics with it, as well as plenty of none too sharp pics with it. I believe this inconsistency is due to focusing errors. For some reason, the 35 f2 doesn't snap into focus as well as most of its Zuiko brethren. This is particularly true with the 2-4 and 2-13 focusing screens.

The truth is that a lens' real world picture taking ability turns on more than its optical testing results. How easy is it to focus? How easy is it to hold steady? These qualities are more important as a practical matter than how a lens tests (because the theoretically sharpest lens in the world won't yield sharp photos if misfocused or shaken) but are hard to accurately generalize about based on weight or aperture, etc. For example, I have trouble holding a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 version 1 steady on my OM bodies, but am much steadier with a Series 1 70-210 version 3 (which is lghter) and with a Tamron SP 80-200 f2.8 (which is heavier). Likewise, I somehow find the Zuiko 35 f2 the least snappy focusing of all of the Zuiko f2.0 series of lenses I own -- including the 21, 24, 28, 35, 40, 50 macro, 90 macro and 100. Not that the 35 is hard to focus outdoors, but it doesn't snap into focus that well for me indoors or in dimmer lighting.

Old 04-18-2017   #3584
adresaba

Olympus OM 4Ti, 85mm f/2, Ilford Delta 100
Old 04-18-2017   #3585
igzabeher

Olympus OM 4Ti, 85mm f/2, Ilford Delta 100

Old 05-02-2017   #3586
chrism

A question about OM-2n metering, please. My understanding that when set to Auto, the CdS meter in the viewfinder simply gives an estimate of what the actual silicon meter in the body is likely to choose. When a picture is taken, the mirror lifts and the silicon cells read reflected light off the pattern on the first curtain, and if >1/30 that will be the used shutter speed, but if ≤1/30 it will then determine the exposure with OTF metering. However, when set to manual, it is the CdS system in the viewfinder that is going to determine the shutter speed the user sets, and the silicon diode system in the body doesn't come into play.
So here's the question - if one installs a brighter screen, say a 2-series stolen from a later model wouldn't that make the manual metering less accurate; if the viewfinder is a stop brighter then the photo will be underexposed by a stop? I'm asking as my OM-2n has a the usual combination split-image centre surrounded by microprisms, which I think is a 1-13 type. I much prefer the microprisms and have found a 1-1 screen which I think will suit me better, and I suspect if they are made to be interchangeable then I'm sure Olympus made sure they have the same light transmission. But then I read here about the 2-series screen, and while I'm not tempted I wondered if it would interfere with accurate manual metering.

Chris

Old 05-02-2017   #3587
p.giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism View Post
A question about OM-2n metering, please. My understanding that when set to Auto, the CdS meter in the viewfinder simply gives an estimate of what the actual silicon meter in the body is likely to choose. When a picture is taken, the mirror lifts and the silicon cells read reflected light off the pattern on the first curtain, and if >1/30 that will be the used shutter speed, but if ≤1/30 it will then determine the exposure with OTF metering. However, when set to manual, it is the CdS system in the viewfinder that is going to determine the shutter speed the user sets, and the silicon diode system in the body doesn't come into play.
So here's the question - if one installs a brighter screen, say a 2-series stolen from a later model wouldn't that make the manual metering less accurate; if the viewfinder is a stop brighter then the photo will be underexposed by a stop? I'm asking as my OM-2n has a the usual combination split-image centre surrounded by microprisms, which I think is a 1-13 type. I much prefer the microprisms and have found a 1-1 screen which I think will suit me better, and I suspect if they are made to be interchangeable then I'm sure Olympus made sure they have the same light transmission. But then I read here about the 2-series screen, and while I'm not tempted I wondered if it would interfere with accurate manual metering.

Chris
Your assumption is correct. I would stick with the current screen.

Old 05-02-2017   #3588
plummerl

The only OM's that can be fitted with the 2 series are the OM-2Sp, OM-3(Ti) and OM-4(Ti). A nice resource for the screens can be found at http://esif.world-traveller.org/om-s...ingscreens.htm

Old 05-02-2017   #3589
ravilamir

Quote:

Chris
Yeap.
You can use the 1-1 screen on your OM-2N.
You can use any of the series 1 screens with the caveats mentioned in the manual regarding metering and lenses usable with some of them.

The reason the Series 2 screens were introduced was to restore the same brightness on the OM-2SP, OM-3 and -4 series to be equal to the OM-1 series and OM-2 and -2N.
These 3 later models all share the same body and a few things in common:
-1 SPD cell at the bottom of the mirror chamber
-a split beam mirror and
-a secondary mirror to re-direct part of the light coming in from the lens to the SPD cell.
As a result they don't have any metering cells behind the pentaprism and so they can have any screen without affecting the meter readings.
Because they have a split-beam mirror that is less reflective, the viewfinder is less bright than the OM-1 or the earlier OM-2. And so enters the Series 2 screens sole raison d'etre.
Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
A bunch of Nikons

Old 05-02-2017   #3590
chrism

Thanks, guys, that makes sense. I had read of people cutting the tabs off 2-series lenses so as to be able to use them and enjoy the brightness (at least, until they looked at their negatives).

C.

Old 05-05-2017   #3591
Colin G.

Hey all, can anyone inform whether or not the OM1 and OM2 backs fit the later N models? There's no difference right?

My OM2n has a Databack 3. I'd like to get a plain back, but the part seems scarce and more expensive compared to "For Parts" OM1's and OM2's.

Old 05-05-2017   #3592
ravilamir

Colin,
I would say to get a "for parts" -xN.
The early M-1 and OM-1 had different pressure plate size as well as other elements.
Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
A bunch of Nikons

Old 05-06-2017   #3593
Colin G.

Thanks, ravilamir. Good to know the parts don't match. I'll keep my eyes out for a "For Parts" N.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3594
chrism

I'm surprised at how closely I have bonded with my pair of OM-2n's. I knew it was the kind of relationship that meant they had to go to John Hermanson for a CLA, new light seals etc, but I never expected to feel so bereft once I had posted them off a couple of weeks ago. Here I am in a house full of luscious cameras and I don't feel like using them much. In the last two weeks I managed to finish a roll of Agfa Vista in a Pentax SF-1n, and to expend half a roll of Pan F with a new lens (85/1.4) on a Pentax K2, but I quit as the body felt wrong. Before that I was exposing and developing a film a day. I feel so daft - I have 10x8, 4x5, several 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 cameras and no end of 35mm cameras and a film freezer that's full - but I want my OM's back! I never felt this way about my Leicas and have bought/sold/traded/used and neglected them without a qualm.

It must be love.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3595
F6Roger

Smile

Quote:
I'm surprised at how closely I have bonded with my pair of OM-2n's. I knew it was the kind of relationship that meant they had to go to John Hermanson for a CLA, new light seals etc, but I never expected to feel so bereft once I had posted them off a couple of weeks ago. Here I am in a house full of luscious cameras and I don't feel like using them much. In the last two weeks I managed to finish a roll of Agfa Vista in a Pentax SF-1n, and to expend half a roll of Pan F with a new lens (85/1.4) on a Pentax K2, but I quit as the body felt wrong. Before that I was exposing and developing a film a day. I feel so daft - I have 10x8, 4x5, several 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 cameras and no end of 35mm cameras and a film freezer that's full - but I want my OM's back! I never felt this way about my Leicas and have bought/sold/traded/used and neglected them without a qualm.

It must be love.
Welcome to the world of the OM Zuikoholics

As much as I love my S3, F4, F100, F6, D200, D700, D3 & Df Nikons, there is something special about holding/using the OMs. I've had my OM1 / 2 since the mid '70's and still they feel so 'right'.

Don't know about the 'love', but sounds like you're 'smitten'!

Old 1 Week Ago   #3596
chrism

The happy return of the CLA'd OM-2ns to the bosom of their family.

Chamonix 4x5, Schneider-Kreuznach 127mm/f4.7, FP4+, Rodinal 1+50, X1 scan:

Mr. Maitani's Children by chrism229, on Flickr

C.