RFF Sponsoring Member.

Not a contest, just a matter of getting things right

jaapvphotography

Old 12-05-2016   #42
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
Not a contest, just a matter of getting things right
Understood. I think you know Leica better than I do, so I will just stop giving misinformation.

Old 12-05-2016   #43
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
AFAIK there are still spares for the earlier LCD available.
I gather someone has had theirs recently fixed then?

Old 12-05-2016   #44
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
I know this is a bit early, however, I am quite eager to see the price impact of a totally redesigned M body on the previous generation digital M bodies. Fingers crossed it will drive the prices down on the M8 and M9 significantly more than the M240 did. If the M9 gets pushed down to current M8 prices, I might finally pull the trigger.

Might be something to think about for those putting holiday cash towards the purchase of an M8/9/240.
A lot will depend upon the M10.

If the M10 is a major improvement over the M240, expect lots of trade ins and significantly lower prices on all older digital M bodies.

If the M10 is turns out to be a not so big improvement, less trade ins and less impact on previous digital M resale value.

I am guessing a big improvement - otherwise, why bother?

Stephen

Old 12-05-2016   #45
DougFord
on the good foot

Presumably, the M10 will have a greater percentage of Panasonic content/involvement then of any M camera to date. Along with its refined body design, the M10 could be a substantial upgrade from the digital M's of the not so distant past.

the walk

Old 12-05-2016   #46
tom.w.bn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFord View Post
Presumably, the M10 will have a greater percentage of Panasonic content/involvement then of any M camera to date. Along with its refined body design, the M10 could be a substantial upgrade from the digital M's of the not so distant past.
Isn't the Panasonic involvement a rumour of the post-factual times we live in? Has anyone ever seen a confirmation of this "fact"?

Old 12-05-2016   #47
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Nobody knows -yet- but the Q and the SL have a high Panasonic content.

jaapvphotography

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
fti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
I know this is a bit early, however, I am quite eager to see the price impact of a totally redesigned M body on the previous generation digital M bodies. Fingers crossed it will drive the prices down on the M8 and M9 significantly more than the M240 did. If the M9 gets pushed down to current M8 prices, I might finally pull the trigger.

Might be something to think about for those putting holiday cash towards the purchase of an M8/9/240.
Lol... I asked the same question 4.5 years ago when we thought an M10 would come. It ended up being the ME. I bought a second hand M9 which was about 7 months old for 3500EUR. I still have the M9 which I use 90% of the time even if I can get my hands on the latest dslrs.

The only regret I have is that I waited too long to buy the M9. Sometimes it's just better to bite the bullet and spend some more if it has you go out and shoot photos rather than spending time and effort wondering about if's and but's.

Even if the prices for the M9 would drop, my personal feeling is that it would be a slow transition.... unless the M10 comes with a CCD!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFord View Post
I haven't ever seen anything to support either of these statements.

1. There has been no involvement with Panasonic in the past on Ms, and involving Panasonic would not have any effect, least of all lowering the price, since this is still a tiny volume item.

2. Don't count on this being a "substantial" improvement unless your sine qua non was a thin body or a faster EVF. We are in an incremental phase in digital camera development.

Dante

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
nanthor

hmm, well the industry might be in an incremental development stage . There are many things that Leica could implement on an M10 such as EVF, switchable auto focus for manual lenses, just to name a couple. Bob

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #51
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Umm.. Don't hold your breath...

jaapvphotography

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #52
conyon

Do we know yet the expected announcement date? And, typically, do shipments start relatively soon thereafter?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #53
ian_watts
Ian Watts

18th January.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #54
faberryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
I am guessing a big improvement - otherwise, why bother?
Generate sales from those who will want to trade up regardless of significance of improvements? Isn't that the economic model with most digital cameras.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #55
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_watts View Post
18th January.
Yes, but nobody knows exactly what will be announced.

jaapvphotography

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #56
DougFord
on the good foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
I haven't ever seen anything to support either of these statements.

1. There has been no involvement with Panasonic in the past on Ms, and involving Panasonic would not have any effect, least of all lowering the price, since this is still a tiny volume item.

2. Don't count on this being a "substantial" improvement unless your sine qua non was a thin body or a faster EVF. We are in an incremental phase in digital camera development.

Dante

My opinion is as follows with regards to the next M camera.
The M10 will be the first 'Panasonic M' model introduced to date.
I'm also assuming that Panasonic 'had a hand in' designing the internal electronics lay out which in turn allowed for a slightly narrower body design.
As different as the Q and SL are to all other digital Leica cameras ever produced, the Panasonic M will follow suit and its pedigree will not be found among any digital M camera produced thus far. (RF contraption not withstanding)
I would define these as 'substantial' differences.

the walk

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #57
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

The rumoured absence of video argues against significant Panasonic involvement; Video-stills integration is a major part of Panasonic's technological strategy.

jaapvphotography

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #58
willie_901

A thinner body made possible by a longer mount flange will be appreciated by some of Leica's M customer base.

Now there's something for everyone... no LCD screen or monochrome or a body thickness more loyal to the film Ms.

I will speculate an incremental improvement in the data stream technologies (improved read noise and, or increased full-well capacity). A more powerful in-camera CPU would significantly improve EVF performance.

williamchuttonjr.com