Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Are you an audiophile? (went from music lover to sound and gear lover)
No 10 5.18%
No but I like music 74 38.34%
Yes 43 22.28%
Yes and I feel the same about photography/gear 66 34.20%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Not an audiophile per se but...
Old 01-03-2009   #121
raydm6

Not an audiophile per se but...

I was into mid-fi solid state stuff most of my life (NAD, Philips, ESS) but in early 2000 got into flea-powered single ended triode (SET) amplifiers and really love the sound of tubes.

Current setup: for an amplifier, I own a modified Decware Zen Select SE84CS (1.8W/channel), CAL Audio Delta Transport & CAL Audio Alpha DAC (18-Bit tubed 2x 12AX7's), Promitheus Audio TVC Reference 1 (transformer volume control), speakers are specially made for this amp and are Parker Audio MK1 95's in an MTM configuration (sensitivity 95 db @1w/1m).

I use an assortment of copper and silver interconnects and roll power, input, and rectifier tubes to change the signature of the sound (tone controls if you will).

SET topologies can be seductive, provide amazing imaging and midrange, and bring you a row or two in front of the performers. But they have their minuses as well.

Luckily, my audio GAS is not as bad as camera gear GAS .

- Ray
IIIf RDST/Leicavit | 5cm Collapsible Summicron/SBOOI
Rolleicord Vb (Type 2)
Argus C3 (brick)
flickriver

Old 01-03-2009   #122
amoebahydra

I do not consider myself as an audiophile, I listen music after work to relieve tense after work. The equipment I am using:

Linn Sondek LP12 Turntable
Linn Ittok LVII tonearm
Koetsu Onyx cartridge

Ortofon T3000 MC Transformer
Marantz 7 stereo Console (tube preamplifier)
Marantz 8b amplifier

KEF LS3/5a BBC Class 2 monitor (35th anniv Limited edition) on Foundation pillar

Michell GyroDec SE Turntable
Ortofon RMG-212i tonearm
Ortofon SPU-Royal cartridge
Ortofon SPU T-100 MC Transformer

SME Series IV tonearm
Benz Micro Ruby 2 cartridge
Benz Micro PP1/T8 phono Preamplifier

Mark Levinson Nr.37 CD Transport
Meimyo DAP-777 Digital Audio Processor

Sony JA30ES MD Deck

Magnum DynaLab FT101 Tuner

Mark Levinson Nr 380 pre-amplifier
Mark Levinson Nr 331 dual monorail power amplifier

ProAc Response 2.5 speaker

Old 01-05-2009   #123
Turtle

I was disappointed to find that noise canceling headphones did nothing to stop the voices in my head.

Old 01-05-2009   #124
historicist

I don't know if I could ever count as an audiophile as I have no intention to buy expensive cables, but I like listening to music a lot and a good hi fi makes a big difference. I'm trying to keep my gear-head tendencies under control, though

I've got:

Marantz TT-15 turntable
Denon CX-3 Receiver
Sony TA-E86 preamp (resting)
Sony TA-N86 power amp (broken)
Technics SB E-100 and SB-6000 speakers.

Old 01-05-2009   #125
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I was disappointed to find that noise canceling headphones did nothing to stop the voices in my head.
I don't mind the voices in my head that much, but I wish they'd speak English.

Old 10-08-2016   #126
Nokton48

A few years ago I decided to upgrade my Yahama system. I just added and completely restored these NS-690s and they are sonically fabulous. I am getting ready to put very expensive audio grade German caps into the crossovers and they will be even better. The first version NS-690s, little brother of the legendary NS-1000s. Couldn't justify the cost or size of the NS-1000s. The speaker stands I had custom made to size by a great Guy out in Colorado.

Just ordered a refurbished Pioneer RT-707 Reel to Reel Can't wait to get it!
The Pioneer will fit in the space just above my Yami turntable. Small footprint for a RTR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-01 15.39.49.jpg (36.0 KB, 13 views)

Old 10-08-2016   #127
CMur12

Nice-sounding system, Nokton48! I like those older reel-to-reel tape decks - definitely a good analog source.

I'm an audiophile wannabe/mid-fi in reality:

Musical Fidelity A1 Integrated Class A Amplifier
BBE Sound Processor

Marantz DV 9600 universal disc player (CD, SACD, DVDa, DVDv, etc. I have quite a few SACDs.)

Athena AS-F2 tower speakers (probably the weak link in this system, but better than one would expect)

Musical Fidelity X-CANv3 headphone amplifier
X-PSUv3 power supply

Grado 325i headphones
AKG K701 headphones

- Murray

Old 10-08-2016   #128
Steve Bellayr

I am definitely not an audiophile despite 2600+ cds, 1300+ albums, 3 stereo systems, 4 guitars, one each violin and piano. Seriously, I am not an audiophile.

Old 10-08-2016   #129
AlwaysOnAuto

I have an old stereo system, does that count?

Pioneer SA 9500 II
Pioneer TX 9500 II
Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel
Sony TC-K75 cassette
Sony PS-X60 turntable w/MA 2002e
Infinity Column II speakers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06394 (Large).jpg (30.7 KB, 20 views)

Old 10-08-2016   #130
jazzwave

In living room
Logitec Touch+Synology music server, AudioGD DAC, 300B single ended tube amp, Spendor speaker.
My fav Radio stream is BestSmoothJazz (Rod Lucas) radio, London.

Other room
Asus laptop, DAC, Bottlehead Crack tube headphone amp, Sennheiser HD600.
I listen this audio system when doing photo edit in Photoshop.

~ron~

"It is significant that the greatest creative photographers use simple, basic equipment..." Ansel Adams, The Camera.

Last edited by jazzwave : 10-08-2016 at 21:26. Reason: add

Old 10-08-2016   #131
madNbad

Love those Spendors! Had a pair of LS35/a until I lost the space to a home remodel. If you like jazz check out WWOZ New Orleans and WEMU out of Eastern Michigan University.

Old 10-09-2016   #132
nrb
Nuno Borges

Audiolab 8000a, Onkyo Integra, Supra interconnect, QED speaker cable, Wharfedale 10.
I think it is a nice sound for classical and voice.

Old 10-09-2016   #133
Wouter

I would really like to be instructed on quality audio. I“d be grateful if someone could indicate a starting point for the learning curve. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-09-2016   #134
dee

Back in the day , it was chasing the best sound for Opera .
I still have EAR 509s gathering rust and dead Magnaplanar SMGas
But I have given up a bit as hearing has dee teriorated.

I found a Linn Classic Movie in close out at John Lewis Department Store.
It appears that they were thinking of a Linn department , so it had been forgotten about it .
My old Rega deck well outlasted my Pink Triangle / Helios / Grace F9e , as have my tiny RCL Small Loudspeakers .
I use headphones with the Rega and Linn , which suits me fine now .
However , the Pink Triangle man is rebuilding my PT , which should show an improvement .

dee
Upstaged by stylish Fuji X-Pro 1 and quirky Pentax K-S1
Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' constant dee'sorientation contained.

Old 10-09-2016   #135
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
I have an old stereo system, does that count?

Pioneer SA 9500 II
Pioneer TX 9500 II
Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel
Sony TC-K75 cassette
Sony PS-X60 turntable w/MA 2002e
Infinity Column II speakers

Nice looking RT-707 RTR. How do you like it?
I have one coming very soon.

Old 10-09-2016   #136
jazzwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Love those Spendors! Had a pair of LS35/a until I lost the space to a home remodel. If you like jazz check out WWOZ New Orleans and WEMU out of Eastern Michigan University.
Thank you for info, I love my Spendor LS3/5, serviced me for almost 12 years. Thinking to replace with Harberth Super HL5plus or Monitor 30 but the budget conflict my Photography hobby..

~ron~

"It is significant that the greatest creative photographers use simple, basic equipment..." Ansel Adams, The Camera.

Last edited by jazzwave : 10-09-2016 at 07:43. Reason: add

Old 10-09-2016   #137
AlwaysOnAuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Nice looking RT-707 RTR. How do you like it?
I have one coming very soon.

I was going to ask where you're getting yours from.
I'm the original owner, so I like it a lot. Been saved all these years from many a 'Clean out the house!' episodes with the wife.

Old 10-09-2016   #138
Nokton48

Here. He buys old tape recorders and CLAs them. A bit more than I really wanted to pay, but he reduced his price before the auction ended, so I went for it. I've been researching this one on the audio forums. Very little not to like.

I really didn't want to buy one of the as-is units I see so many of, I just want to plug it in and start recording! My son is is a Rock band, and he is extremely interested in having access to this. My Wife approves too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201679528471...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 10-09-2016   #139
AlwaysOnAuto

I think you'll be real happy with the way it performs.
Mine sat for 20+ yrs as life got in the way of using it much. It fired up and plays like new though. The only thing on mine that doesn't work is the counter as that is run by a belt. I have a new belt but haven't opened it up to put it in yet.

Old 10-10-2016   #140
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
I think you'll be real happy with the way it performs.
Mine sat for 20+ yrs as life got in the way of using it much. It fired up and plays like new though. The only thing on mine that doesn't work is the counter as that is run by a belt. I have a new belt but haven't opened it up to put it in yet.

Yes he has sold quite a few of these refurbished RT-707s and everyone seems very happy with their purchases. I noticed he replaced the counter belt, among other things. He is also throwing in a copy of the Beatles "White Album" as a bonus. I did also buy an original metal Pioneer take-up reel. I need some RCA connecting cords of sufficient length and I'm good to go.

Old 10-10-2016   #141
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

I've no need for a RTR, but sometimes, I really want one.

My general hi-fi is mid 60s and 70s McIntosh (tube radio, SS amp) with a mid 70s Pioneer turntable (modern Denon cartridge). Speakers are home built full range back loaded horns.

Most of my other audiophile wackiness is in headphone audio, with multiple dacs, amps, and a dozen different headphones at various price/quality points. I'm also partner in a business developing headphone preamp/amplifiers, speaker amplifiers, speakers, and a new turntable.

I guess I qualify as an audiophile. :/

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 10-10-2016   #142
AlwaysOnAuto

I acquired all my gear prior to getting married so there was no need/want/gotta have it problems for me. Ideally I had hoped to set it up to give me continuous playback in the garage but that plan fell by the wayside a long long time ago.
My dad had McIntosh gear but it got lost during one of his moves a long time ago. I don't think I could stand the heat now if I had tube stuff. It's hot enough here as it is.

Old 10-10-2016   #143
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

A couple of years ago I was working a lot of overtime, and spent a lot on 1970's hi-fi gear.
It's mostly good consumer stuff, everything I wanted but could not afford when I was in college.
I really went overboard, and my collection now fills an 8x8' rented unit at the mini-storage.

At the end of my binge I got a little wiser, and bought a few real nice fully-restored pieces.
I will keep those when all the other stuff finally goes...

Chris

Old 10-15-2016   #144
Nokton48

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8268/3...0d828c6f_k.jpgDSC05613 by Nokton48, on Flickr

My newly acquired refurbished Pioneer RT707 Reel-to-Reel.
Listening to The Beatles "White Album"
Sounds sonically wonderful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05613.jpg (33.4 KB, 7 views)

Old 10-15-2016   #145
AlwaysOnAuto

That's cool!
Glad you like it.

Old 10-15-2016   #146
mdarnton

I thought I was going to be an audiophile. In my work my ears need to be discriminating, and I thought I'd enjoy listening to music better through higher quality wires. I bought some expensive headphone gear, listened for a while, and the thrill wore off. Eventually I realized that all of the things I listen for in music, which centers mainly on the quality of the performer and the instrument, I can hear in the crummiest recordings, and I don't get any kind of sensory rush from hearing it through $$$$ equipment. For me, good music doesn't get worse through my phone earphones any more than a cheap paperback ruins the writer's story for me. Go figure.

Old 10-15-2016   #147
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

Well - the wires thing is 99.9% a scam, so no surprises there. I do enjoy headphone audio. I have some headphones that sound better with some types of music, and I relish the opportunity to revisit my music collection, and try things out.

I also work at a computer for 8-10 hours a day, and having good music (and comfortable headphones) for that period I consider a necessity.

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 10-15-2016   #148
mdarnton

Look at the context: that was synecdoche. Wires IS scam: the real thing is air, which is where I usually listen. Wires are grossly inferior to air.

Old 11-12-2016   #149
Cyriljay

I just want to make things mix -up .
I love music.. Had some good hardware /set ups
I now only have at the smallest one
Cyrus Audio and a Dynauodio Combination and a good cable/ connectors
Own a collection of several hundreds of Audio CDs
My favorite radio pay lists are Groove radio ? Groove Salad and several other inter net SOMA FM etc.

Old 11-12-2016   #150
Ong

I work for an audiophile store in Sydney, so I've inadvertently ended up with a fair bit of experience with a wide variety of audio gear from just being able to play with plenty of setups in the slow hours of work.
Also doesn't help when your boss pulls off a "try these headphones and tell me what you think" before telling you the jaw dropping price on them.

Old 11-12-2016   #151
Pentode

When I was younger I aspired to be an "audiophile". I was working as an engineer at a local recording studio and music was very, very important to me. It didn't take me long to realize that I was never going to have the kind of budget needed to really embrace the obsession completely.

Fast-forward 30 years and I'm still obsessed with music (playing bass professionally on a part-time basis) as well as being really fond of gear. My hi-fi consists of a lot of old tube equipment that I've restored and modified over the years, but I still don't have the kind of money needed to roll with the audiophile big boys and, even if I did, I probably wouldn't spend it that way any more.

For me, I found that I just didn't care that much; Rather than drive myself crazy trying to find the "perfect" component (which doesn't exist anyway), I found I could be just as happy using gear that I liked the sound of. Rather than obsessing over the system's limitations (as so many audiophiles do), I'm content to enjoy the system's strengths and not worry about whether or not it's perfect. I still think the gear is really cool, but life's too short to A/B test preamp tubes - for me, at least.

Old 11-12-2016   #152
sepiareverb
Dead ringer for Mr Grinch

I've lost too much high end and midrange hearing to be an audiophile, but I do enjoy having music on. Helps me to ignore the tinnitus. Years of photographing bands, and construction work. Despite earplugs a good bit of the time. I recently got a nice Yamaha amp and a pair of speakers for the first floor of the house. Haven't had a 'real' stereo in about ten years. Very much nicer than the LUNA we used to use to play the iPod. An older laptop plays from an external hard drive that holds most of the music. The laptop plays in mono, so we have one speaker in the kitchen and one between the dining room and living room. Really quite perfect, and great to hear things in favorite tracks I hadn't before.

I have an iPod in the darkroom that plays through an old Denon compact receiver, which I also use for radio in there. Some nice older (20 years maybe) Mission speakers fill that room well, and admittedly sometimes contribute to my tinnitus.

Old 11-15-2016   #153
AlwaysOnAuto

I was cleaning out the attic space in the garage last weekend and found an old box of speakers that had been up there for a long time (30+yrs).
Opened the box to find (2) Western Electric 554a's and (2) Altec 555a's in what looks like perfect condition.