Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica General Discussion / News / Rumors

View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?
Epson RD1 family - all models 52 17.81%
Leica M8 / 8u 24 8.22%
Leica M8.2 10 3.42%
Leica M9 43 14.73%
Leica M9-P 23 7.88%
Leica MM 51 17.47%
Leica M-E 8 2.74%
Leica M240 aka M aka M10 56 19.18%
Leica M-P 22 7.53%
Leica M60 3 1.03%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2015   #81
ray*j*gun

I just don't get the Epson choice. I admit I had one and it broke almost immediately so I suppose I'm biased but do they print well enough with the limited sensor capabilities? I guess Id like to borrow one for a while to see if I'm missing something here. I have an M8u and love it BTW.

Old 01-29-2015   #82
andriirad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray*j*gun View Post
I just don't get the Epson choice. I admit I had one and it broke almost immediately so I suppose I'm biased but do they print well enough with the limited sensor capabilities? I guess Id like to borrow one for a while to see if I'm missing something here. I have an M8u and love it BTW.
If you didn't have a good opportunity to shoot with uncle Epson before and now you have an option to borrow one - don't even think twice! It's an amazing camera with it's own image character and color beauty + it's gonna give you different view about shoots on high ISO with digital RF...I think you gonna love Epson's high ISO performance much more, than your M8u. Trust me - I had both)
Prints up to A3 size looks just gorgeous! 6MP its more than enough for this matter.

Old 01-30-2015   #83
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Misnaming a camera the "M" in the face of 60's years of what, close to a 600,000 + M's before it, is the real misnomer.

Instead of mindlessly following official the Leica misnomer Metropolis style,
it would b good to see more Leica owners appreciating Leica's heritage and wake up
to protest this bad PR foolishness and lack of awareness of all the M's that preceded THE M.

Stephen
Well Said! Is there some reason why Leica can't count above 9?

Old 01-30-2015   #84
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Well Said! Is there some reason why Leica can't count above 9?
In the latest major model revision they counted up to 240. So they can... OTOH, the never counted straight forward. The M3 was the first M, you know, M1 and M2 came later...

Old 02-24-2015   #85
seakayaker1

Voted for the M9!

It is my favorite and the only Digital Full Frame Rangefinder I own currently! I will be getting the M9 back from Leica soon with a new sensor and hope to have it running for many more years to come! (edit: Leica in NJ informed me that the sensor is on backorder with no delivery date from Germany. This has got me re-thinking the offer to upgrade to the M-P 240.)

I did have the M8.2 for a short period of time and loved that digital rangefinder as well.

Old 02-25-2015   #86
essvaun
essvaun

I've only ever owned an M9-P. My favourite thing ever. I'm sure if I had the $ there might be others to consider but as I have zero interest in video I'm struggling to think why I'd need to replace it before it dies.
I did get to take a couple of shots once with a Monochrom with that 50mm asph summicron, that was superb but holding the value of a new car in your hands wouldn't be for the faint hearted.

Old 02-27-2015   #87
krötenblender

I'm looking forward to the first post, that says, the Konost is the favourite digital RF since it came out...

Besides that, I'm pleased, that the R-D1 is still the number one, although I use my M240 as my main camera.

Old 02-28-2015   #88
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Don't know if this qualifies but here goes a description.

I own a Fuji S-7000 camera I bought around 2004. Lots of features, especially considering how old it is.
But that is in not even remotely a rangefinder camera...?

Old 03-14-2015   #89
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

i have a m240 so that's one vote there but am looking forward to seeing what the Konost could do. also, i wouldnt take a second glance at a digital leica if there was a zeiss ikon digital.

http://soyokazekaiwa.tumblr.com/
Monologue in Busan

Old 05-24-2015   #90
Vince Lupo

It used to be the Leica Monochrom aka Leica M9MM aka Leica Monochrome aka Leica Mono CCD aka Leica Mono aka Leica Monochrom 1, but now it's the Leica Monochrom 246 aka Leica M10MM aka Leica M10 Mono aka Leica Mono CMOS aka Leica Monochrom 2 aka Leica MMM.

Old 01-01-2016   #91
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'm amazed to see the 240 leading this poll ... I would have expected the M9 to be the front runner but I suspect the sensor issue had an effect on it's overall popularity.

Old 01-01-2016   #92
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'm amazed to see the 240 leading this poll ... I would have expected the M9 to be the front runner but I suspect the sensor issue had an effect on it's overall popularity.
Most amazing is the second one: R-D1, a digital antique...!

Old 01-01-2016   #93
randolph45

Epson R-D1. The only digital rf I own

Old 03-15-2016   #94
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

I don't have any today, but have had M8.2, M9, M9-P and MM in the past. MM is my fav.

b/w guy.

flickr | RFF Gallery | Buy my prints on RFF Classifieds | Instagram | Portfolio

Old 03-15-2016   #95
Peter Wijninga

I've been using the Epsons for many years. Great cameras and they hold their value pretty well. The whole notion of 'digital antique' has become a hyper-consumer issue. If you look at the release frequency of some popular cameras and the declared 'antique' status and depreciation of older models has more to do with advertising hype and marketeering than the usability of the cameras in question.

Old 03-15-2016   #96
Philip Whiteman

I know it's not a rangefinder camera, but what about the ingenious Fuji X-Pro1/2 (or even the X100)? If we are talking about optical viewfinders with some kind of linked focussing, they are spiritually rangefinder cameras, if not strictly being the same.

Having progressed from film Ms to Epson R-D1, I would say the X-Pro is the development Leica should have made itself - wonderful kit (ducks as brickbats come flying...)

Old 03-22-2016   #97
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I voted for the 240 as that has been my first and only digital Leica (but my first digital RF was indeed the R-D1, and it was what lead me to this site in the first place all those years ago).

I get along just fine with the 240 and it doesn't get in my way, the image quality is wonderful, and though I wish it was more capable in very low light, I have never been left unable to work because of the camera. It's been my main digital since picking it up in November 2014, to the effect that I sold off my other digital systems late last year as my own needs were changing.

Now. All of that being said, I am the most intrigued by the Monochrom (both versions) as I am very much a black and white shooter in general (but I like having the option to shoot color when I want). I think the Monochrom is an incredibly special tool, and like anything else, when one learns to control and manipulate the nuances of such a tool, they are rewarded with spectacular image quality. I would very much like to pick one up in the future.

M-A | M4-P | M240 | F | GR

Instagram. | Website.

Old 03-22-2016   #98
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
What is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?
I could not vote because I do not yet have a favorite.

Old 03-23-2016   #99
maitani

M8 classic hands down

very useful camera for all purpose and esp bw, great for brightlenses too (1/8000)
great files if you get "into it"

Old 03-23-2016   #100
johnwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Whiteman View Post
I know it's not a rangefinder camera, but what about the ingenious Fuji X-Pro1/2 (or even the X100)? If we are talking about optical viewfinders with some kind of linked focussing, they are spiritually rangefinder cameras, if not strictly being the same.

Having progressed from film Ms to Epson R-D1, I would say the X-Pro is the development Leica should have made itself - wonderful kit (ducks as brickbats come flying...)
Except that there's no decent manual focus with the OVF, at least on the X-Pro1. But I agree it's an ingenious camera with a rangefinder spirit.

John

Old 03-23-2016   #101
Gregm61

The M262 I purchased last month, of course..

Old 03-23-2016   #102
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
Except that there's no decent manual focus with the OVF, at least on the X-Pro1. But I agree it's an ingenious camera with a rangefinder spirit.

John
If you have decent light, and using a fuji lens, you can easily scale focus the xp1 using the distance scale displayed in ovf. Very similar to the Petri Color 35 in operation.

X100t and Xp2 allow for visual confirmation of mf using the erf mode.

Shawn

Old 04-28-2016   #103
mervynyan
Mervyn Yan

SL, that is my next one, I hope.

Old 04-30-2016   #104
pechelman
resu deretsiger

I voted M240 but really intended my vote to count towards the M246. Figured that was closer to what I wanted so as not to confuse votes for the original m9 based monochrom.

Old 08-23-2016   #105
Kent
Finally at home...

Still my M8.

I have shot with M9, M240, M Monochrom, but I just don't see any reason to "upgrade".
In a small Dothebag Mono 04 the M8 plus the Fuji X-E2 and three lenses = perfect set for me.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, Fuji, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 02-20-2017   #106
AshLee52

M9 for me because, of the several I own, it is the least valuable so it gets used most. Odd logic perhaps. But I'll bet I'm not the only one. And the pictures are absolutely as good as anyone would ever need. The lack of Live View does make it less capable of using my massive collection of odd and wonderful old lenses.

Old 02-20-2017   #107
pepeguitarra

I voted for the M9, but I really have a tie: M9 and M8.u. The M8.u is probably the one camera I will never sell.

Old 02-25-2017   #108
Tom R

Well, I have only one digital Leica, an M8.2 (with very few clicks on it). I use this camera for experimenting with compositional ideas mostly.

Sometimes I convert the digital images in Capture One into something that approximates B&W film, or at least something that I can display side by side on a screen without too many apparent distracting differences. But, I only do this when either I cannot revisit the setting with a film M or in those rare situations where the original exposures turned out to be either the only or the best to this point ...

Old 02-25-2017   #109
Scrambler

Finally got my hands on a digital rangefinder. Previously the best I could do was Sony E-mount. So my favourite is an Epson R-D1 - but the field for me was small, coz its hard to either spend a LOT of money for an old digital, or EVEN MORE money for a fairly new one, when until the M(10 for those convinced) the early digital Leicas were trouble-prone. I have an old Pentax dSLR with the same sensor as the R-D1, and Epson have managed to make that sensor sing even compared to Pentax, who by the time they built mine were on their 4th generation of camera with the same sensor. And that was after the R-D1.

Old 1 Week Ago   #110
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I've updated my camera choice: Sold the M-P and kept the M-D typ 262. This is my camera; they made it for me. Absolutely delighted with it.

Of course, it's not on the poll.

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #111
Chubberino

The only one I own, the M8. But, I'd hazard a guess that I'd like the M9 more.

Old 1 Week Ago   #112
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

@Bartender: Steve, I would clean up the M10 situation here if I were you...

jaapvphotography

Old 1 Week Ago   #113
victoriapio

I have owned and used extensively Rd1S, M8 and M9. The latter is certainly my favorite. When I try the 262 that MIGHT change my mind.

Old 1 Week Ago   #114
Richard G

Still very happy with the M9-P, but the original Monochrom is more exciting and a slightly better camera, smoother shutter release and shutter for some reason. Sometimes the prints are quite miraculous. I like the idea of the true M10, the recent one, but I will be sticking with what I have until I have to get something new.