LTM to NEX adapter issue
Old 03-23-2016   #1
Goody

LTM to NEX adapter issue

I have a dot line Leica M39 (Leica threadmount) to NEX adapter which fits smoothly and seems to be well made but the adapter holds the lens a little too close to focal plane so that the focus goes past infinity. To put it another way at 15 feet the focus scale reads about 11 feet. Obviously this is better than the opposite issue where the lens cannot focus at infinity! Is this a common issue? I have a Novoflex adapter for OM lenses that seems to be machined more accurately. Has anyone else had this issue? What about a shim between the screwmount lens and the adapter?

Old 03-23-2016   #2
Larry H-L

Since you are most likely focusing with an EVF or LCD, putting a shim between the lens and the adapter is worth a try. I've used thin strips of mylar low-tack "slide binding" tape, works for me.

Old 03-23-2016   #3
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
I have a dot line Leica M39 (Leica threadmount) to NEX adapter which fits smoothly and seems to be well made but the adapter holds the lens a little too close to focal plane so that the focus goes past infinity. To put it another way at 15 feet the focus scale reads about 11 feet. Obviously this is better than the opposite issue where the lens cannot focus at infinity! Is this a common issue? I have a Novoflex adapter for OM lenses that seems to be machined more accurately. Has anyone else had this issue? What about a shim between the screwmount lens and the adapter?
Yes, you can use tape to add distance - but it takes a few tries to get a even plane of focus. My novoflex M mount adapters are spot on, but I do have a Kipon macro adapter that I use tape to let the lens hit infinity at the infinity mark.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 03-23-2016   #4
newst

I have a pair of these Kipon adapters that work very well for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipon-M39-L3...pWTfTST8HqnvDw

A less expensive alternative. These allow you to adjust the position of the lens to reach infinity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Leitz-...kAAOSwqu9VFP8m

Old 03-23-2016   #5
GaryLH

So far 3 novoflex adapter later, all are spot on at infinity mark. I've tried a lot of others from metabones to fotodiox to fotodiox pro version to a bunch of no names. In general, the others are hit and miss.. Most can be shimmed to correct infinity focus.

Gary

Old 03-23-2016   #6
css9450

I have several Fotodiox E-mount adapters.... All of them focus past infinity, to a varying extent. Nikon F, M42 thread mount, M39 thread mount, Leica M. My only adapter that is correct (as best as I can tell) is my Amadeo adapter for Nikon RF to E mount.

Old 03-23-2016   #7
Goody

Thanks for the quick responses. Glad it not just me. I figured it was because it was a cheaper adapter -- I couldn't find anyone who had the Novoflex LTM to NEX adapter in stock. Seems like a few layers of tape or maybe some shim stock might do it. Or a plastic or brass giant washer.. or cut up the plastic top of a can of coffee...Strange that they could make the bayonet fit perfectly and yet the thickness of the adapter is off by a lot. BTW Larry - What is mylar low-tack "slide binding" tape? And Newst --Which adapter had the adjustment -- was it the Kipon or the other one?

Old 03-23-2016   #8
Larry H-L

It was a low-stick thin tape used to mask off / crop 35mm slides for projection. Fairly heat resistant, easily removeable from slide film.

Old 03-24-2016   #9
newst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. Glad it not just me. I figured it was because it was a cheaper adapter -- I couldn't find anyone who had the Novoflex LTM to NEX adapter in stock. Seems like a few layers of tape or maybe some shim stock might do it. Or a plastic or brass giant washer.. or cut up the plastic top of a can of coffee...Strange that they could make the bayonet fit perfectly and yet the thickness of the adapter is off by a lot. BTW Larry - What is mylar low-tack "slide binding" tape? And Newst --Which adapter had the adjustment -- was it the Kipon or the other one?
It is the 'other one'. The aluminum ring in the center is held in place with screws. You loosen them, adjust to infinity and tighten them back down.

Old 03-28-2016   #10
ColSebastianMoran

Of course it's a problem if you are zone focusing. I wonder if you could simply add another focusing mark on the lens? Easier than manipulating shims.

With MF lenses on my Sonys, I think the focus peaking is about the best focusing aid I've ever encountered, better for me than RF or SLR focusing.

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's
Giveaway: Voigtlander Vitoret, Point-N-Shoots
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.