Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 1 Day Ago   #81
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
HCB, because I am convinced that he set up many of his so called "decisive moment" shots. Anyone that has shot street, especially w/ a manual focus camera, understands that some of his shots could only have been made this way. It is just not possible for that many images to have been made on the fly, good photographer or not. Even luck could not have made it possible.

In the end of course, who cares how he made them? A good shot is a good shot, but the whole legendary thing is simply a marketing art-world way to get more money for the works (not for him, he's dead, but for those in the art world that are making a buck off old already created images).
That seems a really uninformed take on HCB, and the art market, and especially odd in HCB's case, considering his well known position regarding sales.

"I, Henri Cartier-Bresson, residing in Paris at 198 rue de Rivoli, 75001, declare the following – I have always signed and dedicated my photographic prints to those whom they are offered to – all other prints marked with a “Magnum Photos” stamp or my name, “Henri Cartier-Bresson”, are exclusively my personal property. All persons in possession of the later cannot be considered the true proprietors of these prints."

The internet is a strange place.

Old 1 Day Ago   #82
gns

Quote:
...Anyone that has shot street, especially w/ a manual focus camera, understands that some of his shots could only have been made this way...
Examples, please?

Old 1 Day Ago   #83
Ranchu

The bicyclist.

Old 23 Hours Ago   #84
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gns View Post
Examples, please?
It doesn't take long to confirm how zone focus is used by hitting a few websites with emphasis on "street photography" (Gawd, I hate that term!). It has been a common practice for many years, turning your multi-thousand dollar Leica outfit into a fixed focus point and shoot. I've seen it mentioned in interviews with Eggleston, Wessel, Meyerowitz, etc. As for HCB, you might notice some of his photos are a little soft in the focus department, likely due to the subject being just out of the zone.

Old 23 Hours Ago   #85
Brian Atherton

An addition to my previous post:

Ogle Winston Link, during his railway projects 1955-1959.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 23 Hours Ago   #86
gns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
It doesn't take long to confirm how zone focus is used by hitting a few websites with emphasis on "street photography" (Gawd, I hate that term!). It has been a common practice for many years, turning your multi-thousand dollar Leica outfit into a fixed focus point and shoot. I've seen it mentioned in interviews with Eggleston, Wessel, Meyerowitz, etc. As for HCB, you might notice some of his photos are a little soft in the focus department, likely due to the subject being just out of the zone.
Maybe I misunderstood him. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you. I think he was saying that many of C-B's photographs had to have been staged.

Old 23 Hours Ago   #87
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gns View Post
Maybe I misunderstood him. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you. I think he was saying that many of C-B's photographs had to have been staged.
...could be I misunderstood everyone.

Never mind.

Carry on.

Old 22 Hours Ago   #88
embee06311
getting back into film..

Julius Shulman... when he was photographing the Case Study Houses

Flickr

Given my interests
Old 22 Hours Ago   #89
Tim Murphy

Given my interests

Moose Peterson or Neil Leifer

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA

Old 22 Hours Ago   #90
airfrogusmc

Quote:
HCB, because I am convinced that he set up many of his so called "decisive moment" shots. Anyone that has shot street, especially w/ a manual focus camera, understands that some of his shots could only have been made this way. It is just not possible for that many images to have been made on the fly, good photographer or not. Even luck could not have made it possible.
So you have never used DoF scales? I use them all the time. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean that he didn't do it and that it can't be done.

Old 21 Hours Ago   #91
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
So you have never used DoF scales? I use them all the time. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean that he didn't do it and that it can't be done.

Not to mention that HCB would have spent so much time with that camera in his hand that the focus point for any scene would have existed in a zone controlled by his eye, mind and muscle memory ... and that would allow him to have the lens in pretty much the correct position by the time the camera reached his eye. This is a skill that many of us will never develop because we are constantly changing our gear.

Old 21 Hours Ago   #92
Deardorff38

I've had the pleasure to hang out with Jay Dusard, & would enjoy doing so again. Also I would have loved to have spent a day with Robert Doisneau.

Old 20 Hours Ago   #93
Mr. Fizzlesticks

Most of the famous or semi famous photographers that I have met have been after shows or friend of friend type things. Photographers rarely discuss photography which the average Joe doesn't really get. I really don't harbor any fan feelings for any living photographers. If I could transport back in time, it would be cool to have met Weston. I wouldn't have minded meeting Newton, though I would guess he would have been a bit of an ass. Avedon could've been interesting. I wouldn't have minded witnessing Capa on D-day just to see how much of a chicken-**** he was. Total con artist. Penn in the studio would have been great. The only living photographer that I would be somewhat interested in is Gibson, but it would have been decades ago. These days, not so much... Actually now that I think about it, I would love to meet Corbijn. I think he would be and interesting guy, and not full of himself.

It is not the camera in your hand dingleberry; it is the brain in your head.

Old 6 Hours Ago   #94
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fizzlesticks View Post
I wouldn't have minded witnessing Capa on D-day just to see how much of a chicken-**** he was. Total con artist.
How is this a thing?
I'm thinking anyone who volunteered to be on that beach that day has got more stones than pretty much anyone else.

Phil Forrest

Old 6 Hours Ago   #95
MrFujicaman

Okay, here's my picks...

Ralph Gibson..for some reason, whenever I see his pictures,I hear that strange brooding music from the original "Outer Limits'.

Rene Gelpi-does anybody know what ever happened to this guy ? He was in Pop Photo twice and then vanished from sight.

Old 6 Hours Ago   #96
oltimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
How is this a thing?
I'm thinking anyone who volunteered to be on that beach that day has got more stones than pretty much anyone else.

Phil Forrest
Oh wow Phil; and how I do agree with your reply. Another photographer that was in Europe and the Japan one, was Sgt. William Genaust; who died in Iwo when he entered the cave, and his body never found. Absolutely no chicken in these men.

Old 6 Hours Ago   #97
Duckmancgy

I would probably have to go with Michael Kenna, if for nothing more than to "see how he sees" if that makes sense. I see him as being someone I could learn endlessly from, specifically how he isolates elements from larger scenes, thats something I continue to struggle with from a composition perspective.

Old 3 Hours Ago   #98
Bar8barian

The English photographer - James Ravilious

War-time Leica II (1942) Serial No.352831 - 5cm f3.5 Elmar (1941) Serial No.568786.

Leica IIf "Sharkskin" (IIc "Sharkskin" conversion) Serial No.440680 - Chiyoda Kogaku 5cm f1.8 Super Rokkor (1958/59) Serial No.1302066.

Very early 5.8cm f1.4 Nikkor-S Serial No. 140296 (1959) with Novoflex adapter on Nex5.