Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Leica M4-P with brown viewfinder
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
po-stit

Leica M4-P with brown viewfinder

Hello guys, i recently bough a Leica M4-P and the viewfinder needs cleaning from that typical M4-P haze but even soo it doesn't affect the viewing experience.

However after some time i noticed that the viewfinder has some brown stuff on the viewfinder, on the edges of what seems to be the mirror. Can you guys explain what this is? Is it repairable / cleanable?

Thank you all

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
philosli

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-stit View Post
Hello guys, i recently bough a Leica M4-P and the viewfinder needs cleaning from that typical M4-P haze but even soo it doesn't affect the viewing experience.

However after some time i noticed that the viewfinder has some brown stuff on the viewfinder, on the edges of what seems to be the mirror. Can you guys explain what this is? Is it repairable / cleanable?

Thank you all

I cannot see your picture, but based on your description, it sounds like prism separation. My recently acquired M4-P also has the same issue. I read that if it doesn't get worse, there's nothing to worry about.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
po-stit

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosli View Post
I cannot see your picture, but based on your description, it sounds like prism separation. My recently acquired M4-P also has the same issue. I read that if it doesn't get worse, there's nothing to worry about.

On my screen it appears just fine.

Thats bad and good news. If it doesn't get any worse and it doesn't affect the viewfinder so im good.

See image HERE

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Huss

What would stop it from getting worse? It's already started going bad.

I would return it if you can, there are lots of other M4-Ps out there for sale that are fine.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Or have the viewfinder cleaned, collimated, and calibrated. That service only cost me about $110 on my M4-2.

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Or have the viewfinder cleaned, collimated, and calibrated. That service only cost me about $110 on my M4-2.

G
If it is in the stages of separation, cleaning it won't help.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Robert Lai

If you can, return the camera. Delamination will just keep getting worse with time, until you have a black RF patch.

You can call Don Goldberg for advice. However, if it's really bad you'll need the entire VF/RF assembly replaced. This will NOT be an inexpensive repair at that point.