70mm Film FUN up ahead
Old 06-01-2017   #1
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
70mm Film FUN up ahead

Hi All,

Raid recently suggested to me that I should start a 70mm thread. I am a big fan of 70mm and have been stocking up with film in my deep freeze for many years. Recently I had to remove and rearrange things, so this seems to be a good time to take an inventory.

70mm Kodak Surveillance Film by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is fourteen rolls of 70mm Kodak WL Surveillance film, that comes in 150 foot rolls. I find it very similar to the old Tri-X IMO, when developed in a D76 developer.

I will add to this thread as I have time. Who else here uses 70mm film?



Here are some 70mm WL Surveillance Film negatives I shot in my Hasselblads. I process this film so far in ADOX Borax MQ (D76) which I mix myself.

DSC05743 by Nokton48, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #2
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
70mm Kodak Plus X by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here is seven 100 foot rolls of Kodak Plus-X, all dated from the early '80s. This was given to me when I bought some darkroom stuff years ago.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #3
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
70mm Aerial Films - Various by Nokton48, on Flickr

Various rolls of 70mm Aerial films. More details later.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #4
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
DSC05770 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here are some of my 70mm Kodak Film Cartridges, on the left. On the right, are Kodak 70mm Cartridge Storage Cans. You spool the film up by hand, in the total darkness. Then the lights can come on. The storage cans are for exposed and unexposed roll storage and transport.

These came from a photo lab in Florida.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #5
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
002 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here is how I expose the film, with the Hasselblad A70 Film Back. You get 70 frames to a roll without needing to reload. It is quite liberating to have such firepower. Hasselblad also made a 500 exposure 70mm magazine, but I don't have one. With thinner-base films you can load up to 250 exposures in a Kodak Film Cartridge, it all depends on the thickness of the film base. Of course the A70 film counter only goes up to 70, but it will work.

Shown here with my EL/M and 30mm Hasselblad Fisheye. I have six or seven A70 magazines. This magazine is loaded with Plus-X Aerographic 2402, which is a 70mm Kodak aerial film that came in 150 foot rolls. I'm rating it at ISO 80 and bracketing, all I can do is guess and try it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #6
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
001 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Another use for 70mm film: The Beatty Coleman 70mm Roll Back. This produces roughly a 6x8cm image on the film. I plan to use this on my three Plaubel Makiflex cameras. It will also fit my 4x5 Sinar Norma cameras. This back is extra cool because it will work with perforated OR UNPERFORATED 70mm film. That is a pretty big deal. Graflex also made a similar 70 back which will also work with perforated or unperforated film.

Here the back is attached to my Plaubel Makiflex Adapter, ready to go on the cameras.

002 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Helpful to have the original instructions!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #7
wjlapier
Registered User
 
wjlapier's Avatar
 
wjlapier is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,397
Pretty cool! Got me curious.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #8
mabelsound
Registered User
 
mabelsound's Avatar
 
mabelsound is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Age: 47
Posts: 6,181
Didn't know any of this even existed. Very cool!
__________________
flickr insta twitter
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #9
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,577
Linhof offers a 70mm back that will fit my 2x3 Tech IV and Tech V. The backs only sell for about $100. They handle 70 exposures.

I would like to know how readily available are the B&W films. Also how do you process 70 exposures.

I would love to have your capabilities. To use on Baby Linhofs.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #10
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Posts: 4,842
I get interested in using 70mm in my Hasselblad, but how do you develop 15 feet of film? It won't fit my stainless steel Nikor reels! (Not too sure how to measure out 15 feet, either. My darkroom is 13 feet long.)
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #11
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Linhof offers a 70mm back that will fit my 2x3 Tech IV and Tech V. The backs only sell for about $100. They handle 70 exposures.
I would like to know how readily available are the B&W films. Also how do you process 70 exposures. I would love to have your capabilities. To use on Baby Linhofs. Cal


Hello Again Cal,

Here is one of my Plaubel Makiflexes, with my 56x72 Linhof Cine Rollex 70mm Film Back. Built like a Rolls Royce. I got this one for $35
See below for info on dev tanks for 70mm

I have gotten all of my 70mm film by watching Ebay. Search under "70mm film". I did this for a couple of years and loaded up.

DSC05774 by Nokton48, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #12
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I get interested in using 70mm in my Hasselblad, but how do you develop 15 feet of film? It won't fit my stainless steel Nikor reels! (Not too sure how to measure out 15 feet, either. My darkroom is 13 feet long.)


Hey Rob-F,

Basically you have three choices for developing tanks for 70mm (that I am aware of).

1) Kindermann 70mm Daylight Tank and 70mm stainless steel reel. This is what I was able to find after looking hard for a couple of years, I think I bought this one on German Ebay. B&H used to sell these new for $299 back in the seventies. They are around but don't come up all the time.

2) JOBO makes a 70mm reel that fits their tanks. I'm not that familar with it. But they are around.

3) Honeywell Nikor made a stainless steel tank and reel for 15' of film. Looks like a giant 35mm Nikor daylight tank. They are around.

Kindermann 70mm Tank & Reels by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Kindermann 70mm Daylight tank & SS 70mm Kindermann Reel. To the left of it, is a X-Ray 70mm Plastic Reel for processing dental x-ray film. I found it on the internet, it was only like ten bucks new! Will not hold 15 feet, but will hold thirteen feet. TEN BUCKS!

Regarding loading, in the dark I load the spool was full as I can, without scratching the outside edges of the film, when I assemble everything. It's all done by touch. Scissors I keep in my back pocket, so I can find them!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #13
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
hasselblad-70-500-film-magazine-2.preview by Nokton48, on Flickr

And here is the Hasselblad A500 Film Magazine. Quite a beast, ain't it?

Only fits the EL/M. Requires two EL/M batteries to power the back, or an umbical cord, to the batteries in the EL/M.

Five hundred motorized 70mm exposures without stopping. WHEW! Took a full 100' roll of film in one go.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #14
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Hello Again Cal,

Here is one of my Plaubel Makiflexes, with my 56x72 Linhof Cine Rollex 70mm Film Back. Built like a Rolls Royce. I got this one for $35
See below for info on dev tanks for 70mm

I have gotten all of my 70mm film by watching Ebay. Search under "70mm film". I did this for a couple of years and loaded up.

DSC05774 by Nokton48, on Flickr
I have "Linhof Disease" and am building "Beast Cameras."

One is a 2x3 Technika IV from 1958 that is as old as me that came with mucho extras and a Zeiss 100/2.8 Planar. I just had the Tech IV serviced and picked it up today from Nippon Camera Clinic, the new Linhof service center.

The second 2x3 Linhof is an odd prototype with no serial number on the accessory shoe that basically is a Technika V/Master without any movements on the front or rear standards. I'm trying to set up this body with a 53/4.5 Biogon.

Linhof Cine Rolliex's currently sell for about $100.00 and I have a line on two.

After discovering this thread I went to EBAY to search for that Kodak WL Surveilance film. You were wise to bulk up.

Crazy is good I say and mucho fun.

What I would like to know now is how many 6x7 exposures in 15 feet. This is a lot better than shooting 220. LOL. Thanks for this thread.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #15
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
hasselblad-70-500-film-magazine-2.preview by Nokton48, on Flickr

And here is the Hasselblad A500 Film Magazine. Quite a beast, ain't it?

Only fits the EL/M. Requires two EL/M batteries to power the back, or an umbical cord, to the batteries in the EL/M.

Five hundred motorized 70mm exposures without stopping. WHEW! Took a full 100' roll of film in one go.
I love this. Mucho crazy.

Normal people do not do this. LOL.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #16
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Hey Rob-F,

Basically you have three choices for developing tanks for 70mm (that I am aware of).

1) Kindermann 70mm Daylight Tank and 70mm stainless steel reel. This is what I was able to find after looking hard for a couple of years, I think I bought this one on German Ebay. B&H used to sell these new for $299 back in the seventies. They are around but don't come up all the time.

2) JOBO makes a 70mm reel that fits their tanks. I'm not that familar with it. But they are around.

3) Honeywell Nikor made a stainless steel tank and reel for 15' of film. Looks like a giant 35mm Nikor daylight tank. They are around.



My Kindermann 70mm Daylight tank & SS 70mm Kindermann Reel.
The 70mm SS reels look to be like my 220 Hewes reels except bigger.

How much more difficulty is loading 15 feet of 70mm over a roll of 220 on the SS reels?

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #17
DKimg
Registered User
 
DKimg's Avatar
 
DKimg is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 96
I've dabbled in some 70mm film and Kodak Vision3 film (65mm). Wanting to explore even further. Have purchased most of the equipment online throughout the couple of years (ebay) but haven't completely made it working yet. Nonetheless, here's a frame from Kodak Vision3 250D film, hand spooled. Shot on a Rolleiflex 2.8F



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Hey Rob-F,

Basically you have three choices for developing tanks for 70mm (that I am aware of).

1) Kindermann 70mm Daylight Tank and 70mm stainless steel reel. This is what I was able to find after looking hard for a couple of years, I think I bought this one on German Ebay. B&H used to sell these new for $299 back in the seventies. They are around but don't come up all the time.

2) JOBO makes a 70mm reel that fits their tanks. I'm not that familar with it. But they are around.

3) Honeywell Nikor made a stainless steel tank and reel for 15' of film. Looks like a giant 35mm Nikor daylight tank. They are around.
I think you're right too. I think I picked up the Nikor 15' reel. It's pretty big! But I think its meant to be developed in total darkness.... unless I have something different. I'll send pics when I'm back in Florida.
__________________
DK
www.DKimg.com
Hasselblad H2 / HC 100mm f2.2
Hasselblad 203 FE / 110mm f2 FE

eBony-cameras RW45
Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S
Zeiss Planar 135 f3.5 T*
Nikkor AM 120 ED f5.6
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #18
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKimg View Post
I've dabbled in some 70mm film and Kodak Vision3 film (65mm). Wanting to explore even further. Have purchased most of the equipment online throughout the couple of years (ebay) but haven't completely made it working yet. Nonetheless, here's a frame from Kodak Vision3 250D film, hand spooled. Shot on a Rolleiflex 2.8F

I think you're right too. I think I picked up the Nikor 15' reel. It's pretty big! But I think its meant to be developed in total darkness.... unless I have something different. I'll send pics when I'm back in Florida.
DKImg,

Very nice! Did you slit the 70mm film down to 65mm to respool it into 120? That is a very cool idea. What else did you do to the film? What about the remjet backing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70mm-stainle...p2047675.l2557

Here is a 70mm Nikor reel that sold a bit ago on ebay. I am just about positive they made a SS tank to hold the reel. I have three Nikor 100" 70mm reels and tanks. They take gallons and gallons of chemistry but will do 100' of 70mm in one go. Dragged them out of the basement of Midwest Photo and I paid $100 for all three. I think I got a steal of a deal. Those things are humungeous!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #19
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
The 70mm SS reels look to be like my 220 Hewes reels except bigger. How much more difficulty is loading 15 feet of 70mm over a roll of 220 on the SS reels? Cal

Cal,

I've not had any difficulties loading the 70mm reel. But it is good to practice and not be in a hurry. Also I bought an old outdated roll of 100' 70mm Vericolor III perfed for ten bucks at Columbus Camera Group years ago. I use it to make dummy 70mm rolls and to practice loading the reel in the light and to test the film backs. You could run a roll through and magic marker it with sharpie pen. That is what I do. Then look at the roll and count the frames


How far does the film counter go on the baby Linhof back? That should tell you what you need to know
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #20
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
After discovering this thread I went to EBAY to search for that Kodak WL Surveilance film. You were wise to bulk up.

B&H used to sell fresh 150' of Aero Plus-X 70mm perfed for $149. That was maybe ten years ago. Rollei has fresh 70mm perfed now and I've heard good things about it. Never tried it. You might have to order it from Germany. Ilford sells fresh HP5+ in perfed 70mm but you have to special order it during the summer when they are making it.

I lucked into my Surveillance WL film. I was on Ebay and I bought a roll for $35 and tested it. Then I found out he had half a case of it! It was a Army Navy surplus place out in California. That's when I bought all of it he had. Sure glad I did. $249 per roll is a lot but he has it in stock! BTW he has all kinds of 70mm. Even 3200 B&W
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #21
CMur12
Registered User
 
CMur12 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, USA
Age: 65
Posts: 662
This is amazing and, Nokton 48, you have a very impressive set of altogether uncommon film and equipment.

I remember, years ago, seeing that Hasselblad offered a 70mm filmback. but I've never seen or heard anything about it since then.

I look forward to reading more about this project here.

- Murray
__________________
Still shooting film: Medium Format with assorted TLRs; 35mm with manual-focus Minolta SLRs and a Canonet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017   #22
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
hasselblad-70-500-film-magazine-2.preview by Nokton48, on Flickr

And here is the Hasselblad A500 Film Magazine. Quite a beast, ain't it?

Only fits the EL/M. Requires two EL/M batteries to power the back, or an umbical cord, to the batteries in the EL/M.

Five hundred motorized 70mm exposures without stopping. WHEW! Took a full 100' roll of film in one go.
Would think the largest market for this to have been school photographers, surely.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #23
DKimg
Registered User
 
DKimg's Avatar
 
DKimg is offline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
DKImg,

Very nice! Did you slit the 70mm film down to 65mm to respool it into 120? That is a very cool idea. What else did you do to the film? What about the remjet backing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70mm-stainle...p2047675.l2557

Here is a 70mm Nikor reel that sold a bit ago on ebay. I am just about positive they made a SS tank to hold the reel. I have three Nikor 100" 70mm reels and tanks. They take gallons and gallons of chemistry but will do 100' of 70mm in one go. Dragged them out of the basement of Midwest Photo and I paid $100 for all three. I think I got a steal of a deal. Those things are humungeous!
It's a matter of making sure you measure correctly to respool. I don't do anything in regards to the remjet, other thank using ECN-2 chemicals. It's kinda popular here in china (where I'm living for the past 2 years). The developing machine they use can actually accept the 65mm film okay. And the developing tank I purchased is a complete set. It's rather big, It wasn't the reel that you've shown me. I think in a month or so I'll be back in the states and I'll share it.

Looks similar to this though: HERE
__________________
DK
www.DKimg.com
Hasselblad H2 / HC 100mm f2.2
Hasselblad 203 FE / 110mm f2 FE

eBony-cameras RW45
Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S
Zeiss Planar 135 f3.5 T*
Nikkor AM 120 ED f5.6
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #24
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
This guy made his own daylight 70mm tank, which holds two SS 70mm reels.
Then he found the REAL Honeywell Nikor SS 70mm tank and reel.

Very Very cool. Here it is...........

OMG OMG OMG!!! Look what Dad got me as a gift!!!! Nikor 70mm developing tank!!! These things are IMPOSSIBLE to find!!! #70mm #ilovefim #ishootfilm #mediumformat #nikor #film #family #dad #developing #winning #work #chemistry #116 #616 #yes by Stone, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #25
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
This I believe is the Honeywell Nikor 70mm SS tank and reel. Similar to my Kindermann but SS

70mm Nikor tank by Nokton48, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #26
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
And here are the Nylon 70mm reels:

http://ndtsupply.com/ndt-developing-reels.html
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #27
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
It has taken me a good while but I hand-filed out all four edges of this original Omega D2 70mm Negative Carrier. I wanted to see the Hasselblad notches in my finished silver prints.

I'm still setting up my home studio/darkroom. Never enough time!


002 by Nokton48, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #28
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
This is amazing and, Nokton 48, you have a very impressive set of altogether uncommon film and equipment. I remember, years ago, seeing that Hasselblad offered a 70mm filmback. but I've never seen or heard anything about it since then. I look forward to reading more about this project here. - Murray

Thanks Murray. I'm having fun
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #29
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Would think the largest market for this to have been school photographers, surely.
I've never seen one to hold or study. They are quite rare. A guy with an aerial mapping company was selling some off, years ago. I was too late.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #30
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I've never seen one to hold or study. They are quite rare. A guy with an aerial mapping company was selling some off, years ago. I was too late.
Good point, would have been a godsend for aerial work too.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #31
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Cal,

I've not had any difficulties loading the 70mm reel. But it is good to practice and not be in a hurry. Also I bought an old outdated roll of 100' 70mm Vericolor III perfed for ten bucks at Columbus Camera Group years ago. I use it to make dummy 70mm rolls and to practice loading the reel in the light and to test the film backs. You could run a roll through and magic marker it with sharpie pen. That is what I do. Then look at the roll and count the frames


How far does the film counter go on the baby Linhof back? That should tell you what you need to know
The Linhof Cine Rolliex is advertised as 70 6x7 exposures. Out of guessing a roll of 120 is about 3 feet of film and ten exposures if I'm not hallucinating, but there is a leader and a short tail...

If I could find out how many 6x6 or 6x7 exposures on 15 feet of film it would be very helpful to do the math.

BTW my "Slacker's Brew" (Diafine) which gets reused seems ideal for developing 70mm. It is a two part compensating developer that I kinda made work for me, a lazy slacker, who annoys people. LOL.

The highlights kinda get a stand development treatment, and what I love is that there is enhanced shadow detail that is so much like large format. I tend to underdevelope by under agitating (only two inversions per minute instead of three) and this underagitation also makes for smaller grain. Tri-X has only more percievable grain than Acros, and to see the difference one needs a light table and a 4x loupe to see that Tri-X has slightly more grain.

Another bonus is a bump in film speed with Tri-X (800 ISO), but with Acros I shoot box speed (100 ISO). The results are a bit like HDR in film and your negatives will kinda resemble a larger format. A friend of mine who is a large format shooter once said, " With negatives like these you don't need a 4x5," and he was looking at some of my 6x9 negatives.

Diafine in Panthermic, so as long as it is above 68 degrees F all is good and temperature is not a variable and needs not to be controled. Remember I'm a lazy slacker, or perhaps a clever slacker. LOL.

The development times are short. Tri-X is soaked in Part "A" for three minutes with the gentlest two inversions per minute, then poured out to be reused. No real developing happens until Part "B" activates the Part "A" that previously soaked into the film. A stand like development kinda happens to the highlights, so unless you really are grossly off with exposure the highlights will never be blown.

Diafine is an strong aggressive developer so the amount of shadow detail is mucho. By underdeveloping I basically am dialing in the mids. Understand that I kinda threw away the instructions and did not follow the directions, but because I'm a mucho clever guy I figured out how to make Diafine work for me. The recommended ISO's to me are very aggressive, and realize that I'm trying to make denser negatives for wet printing and not scanning.

With Diafine when in doubt always overexpose. The original purpose for Diafine is to unwind high contrast, but I get full range tonality of larger formats.

I hope I added something useful to your thread. Lets do/make crazy. "Crazy is good," I say. That 70mm Kodak WL Surveilence film which you say resembles Tri-X seems like a great place to start. Imagine 800 ISO, no grain, and full range of tonality (mucho mids).

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #32
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
I really don't have a good "read" on how many feet of film will go into your Baby Backs. Too many variables. How much space is between each frame, how much leader is required, etc.

Get ahold of an English instruction sheet. It's prolly all in there. Sometimes you need to consult the destructions. LOL

The good thing about WL Surveillance, is that it is 150 feet, not 100 feet, like some of the thicker base films. So you get 50% more film per can. That is a good thing.

Don't waste money on fancy Linhof film cassettes, they just slapped their label on it. The regular Kodak ones are fine. In fact, actually they are ALL Kodak 70mm film cassettes.

Good luck with it. I like beefy negs too, and I'm getting good n beefy with the WL and D76. Shadow detail is copious, so this is a true ISO 400 film stock.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #33
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Didn't know any of this even existed. Very cool!
Thank you John!

I am stoked to start using this stuff after all these years. I probably have enough 70mm raw stock to get through most of the remaining ones.

Plus I tend to buy cool interesting things!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #34
Jake Mongey
Registered User
 
Jake Mongey's Avatar
 
Jake Mongey is offline
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 16
Posts: 372
Ive been really wanting to get some 70mm film for use in my RB67 but have always struggled to find any information on any available stocks. The biggest problem when knowing some was still made was the perforations and if they will actually work with the back.

Would you recommend doing this and is it more economical than shooting 120 frame by frame?
__________________
Should probably spend less time talking more time shooting but unfortunately I dont have to leave my desk to talk
www.jmongeyphoto.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #35
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mongey View Post
Ive been really wanting to get some 70mm film for use in my RB67 but have always struggled to find any information on any available stocks. The biggest problem when knowing some was still made was the perforations and if they will actually work with the back. Would you recommend doing this and is it more economical than shooting 120 frame by frame?

Hey Jake,
Type II perforated film will go in the RB67 70mm film backs. It is around. Prices for film are all over the place. It depends on what you can find. Generally it is more expensive to gear up for this, but the firepower is awesome I can tell you. Kind of like shooting analog digital. I hardly ever look at the frame counter

You can also respool 120 paper backing with whatever you can find. Then this 70mm fits 120 cameras. But you have to cut down the stock, so you need to make a film slitter. See the above post from China; He is doing it
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #36
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
2502 Jobo Reel mod by Nokton48, on Flickr

And here is how to adapt a Jobo 120/220 reel to fit 70mm: Not fifteen feet but it will go in the Multiank JOBOS. Would be useful for short test dev rolls.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #37
Jake Mongey
Registered User
 
Jake Mongey's Avatar
 
Jake Mongey is offline
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 16
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Hey Jake,
Type II perforated film will go in the RB67 70mm film backs. It is around. Prices for film are all over the place. It depends on what you can find. Generally it is more expensive to gear up for this, but the firepower is awesome I can tell you. Kind of like shooting analog digital. I hardly ever look at the frame counter

You can also respool 120 paper backing with whatever you can find. Then this 70mm fits 120 cameras. But you have to cut down the stock, so you need to make a film slitter. See the above post from China; He is doing it
I mean how many shots can you get out of say 100 or 150 ft? Would really appreciate not having to change film when im shooting london fashion week as carrying a RB67 is bad enough but changing film every 10 frames killed me.
__________________
Should probably spend less time talking more time shooting but unfortunately I dont have to leave my desk to talk
www.jmongeyphoto.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #38
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mongey View Post
I mean how many shots can you get out of say 100 or 150 ft? Would really appreciate not having to change film when im shooting london fashion week as carrying a RB67 is bad enough but changing film every 10 frames killed me.
I understand what you're saying. This could work for you if you are determined and resourceful.

I would suggest you get hold of an RB67 70mm Back instruction book. That should tell you what you need to know.

I mean, if it takes 15 feet of film, and you have a 150 foot roll, you could fill ten 70mm cassettes with film. So for $249 for WL Surveillance on Ebay that would be $25.00 per roll? I guessing about all of this!

Hope that helps.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #39
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
Macodirect.de in Germany sells fresh Rollei 70mm Infared film.

See here: https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/in...s-70mm-x-30.5m
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2017   #40
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,052
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...black_and.html

B&H lists Ilford HP5+. Expensive and you have to buy 15 rolls. But it is available.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:57.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.