Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Saudi Arabia, advice please!
Old 12-10-2011   #1
Rui Resende

Saudi Arabia, advice please!

Ok, so i got this job, working as an architect (that's what i do), for 6 months in Saudi Arabia, al Khobar.

I can't miss the opportunity to use whatever free time i have to explore the city, surroundings, and photograph the country.

I've been making quite a fair amount of research regarding photography in S.A., which is actually not very appreciated.

The question is, since i'll be shooting mainly film, do you have any life experience in al Khobar? is it possible to buy film and develop it there? The city is quite big, but i don't know what kind of services i can expect. Thanks in advance

Old 12-10-2011   #2
raid
Dad Photographer

Oh boy ... will you give up your passport there?
I would go digital 100% for such a visit.
Get a small camera which looks very amateurish to others.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-10-2011   #4
Sparrow

I think Monz, a member here, has been and taken photographs I believe ...

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 12-10-2011   #5
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui Resende View Post
so you really think the intrusion of a camera might not be very well regarded there?
Yes.
When I was in the Navy I spent quite a bit of time on the Arabian Peninsula. 3 deployments between 1998 and 2004.
The culture is fantastic but taking photos like a tourist is not what one should do. Sure, photography is allowed but you always have to be mindful of what and who you are taking photos of. I never had any problems photographing out there but that was about a decade ago and the world has changed a bit since then.
If you are getting a translator, ask him about photography. What, who, when, etc. Do you know any of the language? If not, learn greetings and possibly how to ask "may I take your photograph please?" It went a long way for me.

As for equipment, taking all digital means that when you have your gear cooked on the way in and out you don't fog film. On the other hand, slow black and white isn't adversely affected by heat (130+ in Kuwait for weeks) and it can get hot enough out there that a digital camera won't even work (this happened to my D2h in Kuwait and the Nikon technical guy who handles military accounts said that above a certain temperature the camera won't even turn on. I believe those issues have been fixed though in recent generations.)

Regardless how you approach photography, make sure to smile and be very respectful. Don't show the bottom of your feet to anyone (crossing your legs at a cafe, for instance.) Hot coffee on a hot day is a good thing, too. Have fun.

Phil Forrest

Old 12-10-2011   #6
goodtimes

I deployed a few times in Saudi Arabia during and after the first gulf war (1991 and on).
I used to take many street shots using an M6 and an F4S. Never had any problem. At the time I felt photography was easier than in my own country, France.
I wonder what it is to developping now, if there are still processing stations with the boom of digital. Saudi Arabia was not a very conservative country in the past (I mean from a technologial point of view).
I wish you a good time here, the desert is just facinating and the poeple are welcoming.

Old 12-10-2011   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui Resende View Post
so you really think the intrusion of a camera might not be very well regarded there?
You will face srutiny by security personnel at the airport, both at arrival and at departure. For some reason, film is suspect. All tourists and locals have phones with cameras (sometimes forbidden), but a digital small camera with a good lens is the way to go.

Old 12-10-2011   #8
raid
Dad Photographer

If you are obviously a Moslem, this is a totally different story.

Old 12-10-2011   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
I deployed a few times in Saudi Arabia during and after the first gulf war (1991 and on).
I used to take many street shots using an M6 and an F4S. Never had any problem. At the time I felt photography was easier than in my own country, France.
I wonder what it is to developping now, if there are still processing stations with the boom of digital. Saudi Arabia was not a very conservative country in the past (I mean from a technologial point of view).
I wish you a good time here, the desert is just facinating and the poeple are welcoming.
Maybe I am too cautious.

Old 12-10-2011   #10
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I think the social and political climate in the years since the 2003 invasion of Iraq and the subsequent occupation has put a strain on the liberties of visitors a bit more. I think Raid's caution is well founded.
Last time I was in the area (before the recent Iraq war) we still had a very large military presence in Saudi Arabia. That whole region has changed and the US military presence is out in Quatar now.
Is the OP American? Or even western European? Those things may indeed make a difference.

And if you do take a film camera, at the airport you'll have to open the back up and click off a few frames as well as have it go through the swab test. Digitals don't get the same treatment.

Phil Forrest

Last edited by Phil_F_NM : 12-10-2011 at 11:53.

Old 12-10-2011   #11
raid
Dad Photographer

It may be more fun to have two small digital cameras in the pockets at all times. You can get maybe get some street photos that otherwise you cannot. The political situation these days is very sensitive.

Old 12-10-2011   #12
Monz
Monz

I accompanied my mother to the Hajj in 2006/7. We visited Jeddah, Makkah and Medina. Most of the pilgrims had some sort of camera with them (even if it was a mobile phone or small digital). Cameras were tolerated except in a few religious sites. I used a Contax T and Canonet QL 17 and shot a combination of b+w, slides and C41. I took all films with me. I found some shops selling a limited range of colour films. In contrast, there were many shops selling digital equipment.

Only Muslims are allowed in Makkah and Medina. I expect things are a bit more lenient in other cities. Obviously you have to use common sense: don't photograph military/ official buildings, be careful when photographing women etc. But don't be paranoid... people are people... a gentle smile and polite conversation helps a lot.

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Last edited by Monz : 12-10-2011 at 12:50.

Old 12-10-2011   #13
Monz
Monz

Infinity Cubed by *monz*, on Flickr

No Way Back by *monz*, on Flickr

Tabula Rasa by *monz*, on Flickr

The Sai: search for water by *monz*, on Flickr

Fruit Market by *monz*, on Flickr

Dreaming of a new beginning by *monz*, on Flickr

Boat of Life by *monz*, on Flickr

Medina Cemetery by *monz*, on Flickr

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Last edited by Monz : 12-11-2011 at 02:16.

Old 12-10-2011   #14
raid
Dad Photographer

These are wonderful images, Monz.

Old 12-10-2011   #15
jippiejee

Monz, that's some great work there.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 12-11-2011   #16
Rui Resende

thanks for the very useful feedback.

So, generally speaking, you would say that i should be careful photographing, because that might not be very welcomed, but it is possible.

I should probably not get there packed with the amount of film that i would use in 6 months living there, right?! And in any case, probably the worst problems i may have is going through the airport's security checks.

I am from Portugal, so i'll probably face the same suspicions as any other westerners.

Well, i think i'll take my chances.

Monz, that's a great set of photos you have. Those are incredible places, that i won't be lucky to see, since i'm not muslim. I'll also be taking one Contax T, that was one of the cameras i had in mind.

Thanks guys!

Old 12-11-2011   #17
Geordiepete

Remember that the Qur'an forbids pictures of animate objects. Some might find having their photograph taken offends their religion.

'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Those who will be most severely punished by Allaah on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/382).
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/365

Last edited by Geordiepete : 12-11-2011 at 23:00.

Old 12-11-2011   #18
raid
Dad Photographer

ahem ... I do not "remember" ... I would take such interpretations carefully ... there is nothing in Islam that prohibits photography, unless you know more?????

Old 12-11-2011   #19
EdwardKaraa

A few years back, I visited Riyadh on business and took along a Canon 5D and a small 35/2. The camera never got searched and went in and out with no problems. One thing I found out is that photography of public buildings is not allowed. Taking a stroll one evening I took a snapshot of the main city tower, and immediately I was called by security and told not to take photos, but in a friendly manner. The shot being crappy with high iso at night I deleted it out of curteousy but I didn't really have to. The funny thing is that the next day I noticed postcards everywhere showing the same building. In my opinion, one has just to be careful and polite, and just stop when asked to. Normally Saudis are friendly with foreigners.

Old 12-11-2011   #20
Monz
Monz

Raid, Jippiejee and Rui: thanks :-)

@Rui: if you staying there for 6 months, I would suggest taking at least one "good" digital camera eg DSLR or m4/3 or NEX. If you are planning to do some street photography, then I would suggest a small discreet camera such as m4/3 or NEX. Regarding film cameras, The Contax T is an excellent choice being silent and virtually invisible. Maybe you should also take a backup body, just in case. I think you will have difficulty finding b+w film over there. Colour C41 should not be a problem but the film will probably have been stored in the baking heat. I suggest taking at least some film with you and putting them in a fridge when you get there. Develop them when you get back home.

When I was there, I took plenty of pictures of people without any problem. I don't speak Arabic but I asked permission non-verbally in many instances.... there were very few refusals.

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 12-11-2011   #21
Geordiepete

Hi Raid,

yes, of course photography was not around to be forbidden when the Qur'an was written. However, image-making was looked down upon, hence all the beautiful calligraphy in Islamic culture, and image-making of anything with a soul, from Allah, to humans, to animals, was forbidden.

Some muslims wonder if photography is image-making, and hence haram, others don't give it a second thought.

Last edited by Geordiepete : 12-11-2011 at 23:00.

Old 12-11-2011   #22
35mmdelux
Fight On!

Nice work, Monz!

Old 12-11-2011   #23
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Monz, those are indeed beautiful images!

Phil Forrest

Old 12-11-2011   #24
morback
Martin N. Hinze

I'm not sure if you can draw parallels, but I just (a month or so ago) came back from a Dubai-Iran trip, and it was quite fantastic. Not sure if Saudi Arabia is more conservative than Iran, or vice versa, but in Iran, not only were people the friendliest bunch I ever met, I kept being asked to take pictures of them.
The only things I refrained taking pictures of, was the Bandar-Abbas harbour (some military boats in there) and a bus full of shiny new military graduates. I think you can tell the pattern.
Otherwise I photographed more freely than I do in Europe, and certainly in the U.S.A.(were I got in trouble several times...)!

As for film, taking 6 months worth of it might be too much. Can't you have someone mail you some from home, as a backup plan just in case film is unobtainable in SA?

My Flickr
The Great Picnic

Al Khobar
Old 12-12-2011   #25
bigeye

Al Khobar

Al Khobar, 60 years ago (IIIf/50mm elmar/kodachrome 25)

It's an oil town and folks are much more familiar with foreign nationals.

Dad said he was respectful and discreet and asked permission when he sensed it necessary. I doubt that has changed. (Except in Beirut, where he thought he was safe. He snapped a picture of a mother and her children on the street and she scolded him for 15 minutes.)
I wonder how much it has changed?

King's Road:

Cool bicycle:

- Charlie

Old 05-20-2012   #26
Rui Resende

Ok, so I went on the trip.

After 5 months, I came back to Portugal to renew my visa, I was able to shoot freely, film and digital, and i was not searched, getting inside or outside. I didn't feel totally comfortable shooting in the streets. Mostly I pretended to shoot landscapes when i actually was trying to capture some life scene. I never had any problems with anyone, but some cool people i came to know there confirmed that maybe it would be better for me to keep a very low profile while making street photography. So i did.

I took several cameras:
Nikon D60, as a digital
Contax T (the one i used the most, due to its invisibility)
Leica CL+summicron 40mm
Minolta CLE+28mm

I'll go back there for another 2 or 3 months, to fullfill my contract. In the meanwhile here are some samples i got so far.

I'll keep this thread alive, hope you enjoy. As a non-muslim, my access to certain key aspects of arab life were impeded to me.

Old 06-29-2012   #27
-JQ-

I for one would like to see more and keep this thread alive.

Are you still over there?