Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Other CSC Cameras

Old 02-01-2013   #226
giellaleafapmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nparsons13 View Post
Install the two firmware updates, 1.01 and 1.02. The latter was released just a few days ago. The first speeds up AF a lot, and the second helps other more minor problems.
Thanks for the advice, it's so new I didn't even look at updates yet... Something to do during weekend.

GLF

Old 02-01-2013   #227
btgc

If I'm used to AF speed of Sigma DP1, probably, speed of this Pentax would be quite OK or even great

Old 02-01-2013   #228
giellaleafapmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
If I'm used to AF speed of Sigma DP1, probably, speed of this Pentax would be quite OK or even great
Without any firmware update it is ok most of the times in good light but if you come from a Nikod D4, D800 or whatever similar Canon does or even from a K5 it's like going back to driving a Corolla after driving a Porsche. Still I really don't care, "Horses for courses" I guess...

GLF

Old 02-27-2013   #229
btgc

Well, thinking about K-01...I've istD which I generally like so it's not a matter of bare need for me. I've small stash of K-mount glass, but nothing too fancy. Superfast AF isn't required, but I'm uncertain by LCD at daylight as only mean to compose, in this regard istD is troublefree.

I don't see "yellow + 40mm" combos anymore, pity. Do you agree AF 40mm for extra $60 is nobrainer? I could live with black body as I'm not too picky although yellow would help to use it where cameras are divided into fun cams and pro gear. Basically, I'm attracted by current sensor, good battery life and straight K-mount for the price of P&S.

Old 02-27-2013   #230
giellaleafapmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Well, thinking about K-01...I've istD which I generally like so it's not a matter of bare need for me. I've small stash of K-mount glass, but nothing too fancy. Superfast AF isn't required, but I'm uncertain by LCD at daylight as only mean to compose, in this regard istD is troublefree.

I don't see "yellow + 40mm" combos anymore, pity. Do you agree AF 40mm for extra $60 is nobrainer? I could live with black body as I'm not too picky although yellow would help to use it where cameras are divided into fun cams and pro gear. Basically, I'm attracted by current sensor, good battery life and straight K-mount for the price of P&S.
The largest book retailer lists the combo (with yellow body, well, rubber covers) starting at 420 US$.

GLF

Old 02-27-2013   #231
jarski

wonder how prices reflect the K-01 discontinuation notice?

on the other hand rumors about new small full frame Pentax are getting stronger. interesting times

Quote:
Pentax essentially states that they think full-frame is the way to go, and that development of a full-frame camera has been advancing. Wakashiro added that even during Photokina he had mixed feelings about the prospect of making such a camera, but now both he and the company are open to it. The way he phrased this implies that full-frame is about to be a permanent Pentax product line. Although what he said is still subject to interpretation, there is much less uncertainty now than there's ever been before.
Wakashiro also said that while small size is important, the full-frame will also be unique in other ways compared to what's already out there.

Old 02-28-2013   #232
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by giellaleafapmu View Post
The largest book retailer lists the combo (with yellow body, well, rubber covers) starting at 420 US$.

GLF
Thanks, but I'd rather choose black set for 370 or such. Yellow cover isn't worth extra $50 Majot stores still have this....

Old 05-26-2013   #233
hjbyeo

A few images to share ... Capable camera at bargain prices these days.

Old 05-26-2013   #234
charjohncarter

HJ, those are great, I just hope mine last a while.

Old 05-26-2013   #235
hjbyeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
HJ, those are great, I just hope mine last a while.
I hope it does too. A lightbox with a wide angle (predominantly 10mm) for my landscape adventure. ;-)

Old 08-05-2013   #236
nparsons13

This is with the 18-55 kit lens. It's even better with a good prime.

IMGP2831 by nrparsons, on Flickr

Old 08-05-2013   #237
Range-rover

That's what I wanted to see the picture quality and it really nice, I just got a Pentax
a K20D and I'm picking up a FA and A lenses for it and so far the pictures are really
nice, great colors.

Range

Old 08-09-2013   #238
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

I have been eyeing these since first introduced. I've always been a fan of Pentax manual-focus lenses, and even though I donated a bunch away a couple of years ago, I've been interested in getting a new digital Pentax.

So, thanks to _this_ disparaging thread (!) I found the black K-01 with the 40mm lens on Amazon for $429 and bought. I also got a hoodman loupe which if I can attach to the back OK will be a decent viewfinder.

So a few day 3 observations:

it's solid and chunky. fits my sorta large hands well, especially with the 55mm f/1.7 SMC Pentax (no M A, or any other letters following)
I am a big fan of "just a little bit long" lenses, so the 40 and 55 combo is really good for me.
Haven't decided yet if I like the focus peaking for assist.
IQ seems quite good, but I haven't done serious examination yet.
Much faster than the 9 year old sony compact I've been using.
Build quality appears great.
Ugly? Maybe. Mine's not yellow.

Am I offended by the size? probably not. Or only slightly. It might have been really cool if Pentax had created a "micro K" mount like the 4/3 people did. But I bought the thing *primarily to use manual-focus K-mount lenses* so I'm not bothered.

The market success of this beast would indicate that my primary use for this camera is not all that popular.

If any actual users of this thing have read this far and have some tips for useful configuration of the custom modes, or style of using in general that has worked for you with MF lenses, I would love to hear the details!!

--mike

Old 08-09-2013   #239
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
I have been eyeing these since first introduced. I've always been a fan of Pentax manual-focus lenses, and even though I donated a bunch away a couple of years ago, I've been interested in getting a new digital Pentax.

So, thanks to _this_ disparaging thread (!) I found the black K-01 with the 40mm lens on Amazon for $429 and bought. I also got a hoodman loupe which if I can attach to the back OK will be a decent viewfinder.

So a few day 3 observations:

it's solid and chunky. fits my sorta large hands well, especially with the 55mm f/1.7 SMC Pentax (no M A, or any other letters following)
I am a big fan of "just a little bit long" lenses, so the 40 and 55 combo is really good for me.
Haven't decided yet if I like the focus peaking for assist.
IQ seems quite good, but I haven't done serious examination yet.
Much faster than the 9 year old sony compact I've been using.
Build quality appears great.
Ugly? Maybe. Mine's not yellow.

Am I offended by the size? probably not. Or only slightly. It might have been really cool if Pentax had created a "micro K" mount like the 4/3 people did. But I bought the thing *primarily to use manual-focus K-mount lenses* so I'm not bothered.

The market success of this beast would indicate that my primary use for this camera is not all that popular.

If any actual users of this thing have read this far and have some tips for useful configuration of the custom modes, or style of using in general that has worked for you with MF lenses, I would love to hear the details!!

--mike
You might consider an FA or F lens to this gives auto-focus but retains the beauty of manual aperture control. I love this especially for flash, a depth of field without fussing with the knob.

I usually use my in manual mode and hit the green button before shooting. I personally don't like some guy in Japan deciding what ISO, f-stop, shutter speed I use. I don't use the SR because I do a lot of tripod shots and I forget to turn it off. It does not have a cable release as all new cameras do I bought a $2.99 (including shipping) remote release. It is good for at least 25 feet.

I had a Leitz accessory viewfinder which I use outside, Mine is permanently (almost) with a 28mm FA Pentax lens.

Above, I love this with flash. It is so easy to use, much easier than my DSLR.

Old 08-09-2013   #240
squareshooter
-

A camera is a tool. If it fixes your recalcitrant Studebaker who cares what it looks like?

Old 08-09-2013   #241
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

A 31mm Limited on one of these is a very appealing prospect.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 08-09-2013   #242
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

I'm kind of a manual focus, fixed focal length kind of guy. I am kind of liking that little 40.

I found what appears to be fairly good info on using MF lenses here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-button-2.html

sounds like the pre-A K lenses are possibly the worst choice for use on this body. Even screw mount lenses may work a little better.

fun!

Old 08-09-2013   #243
KEH

I have hung onto my FA 31/1.8 Limited and when the K01 price dropped below $300 I pounced.

Kinda ugly, but pretty amazing with the Limited in front of it. Not that you can really judge it by the web-sized image above.

As I have noted elsewhere, this is pretty much the perfect winter camera - big buttons and controls, tailor-made for shooting with gloves. So it's a keeper for winter-time shooting.

Cheers,
Kirk

Old 08-13-2013   #244
Mattco26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
I'm kind of a manual focus, fixed focal length kind of guy. I am kind of liking that little 40.

I found what appears to be fairly good info on using MF lenses here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-button-2.html

sounds like the pre-A K lenses are possibly the worst choice for use on this body. Even screw mount lenses may work a little better.

fun!
K series lenses work great on the K-01 but you need to know the trick first. Compare the back of an A series or any autofocus lens with your K series lens. Take a small piece of thin tape and cover the portion of the mount on the lens where the contacts would be if your K lens was an A or F/FA series lens.

Now when you mount the lens on the K-01, there is no contact at the pins and the camera thinks you have an m42 lens mounted. The body won't hold the aperture open, allowing you to choose your f stop on the lens body with the camera in Av mode.

The display on the back will brighten itself to compensate as you select smaller apertures. Focus peaking still works and you get to see your dof in real time.

Old 08-13-2013   #245
charjohncarter

You guys are nuts if you think a digital camera is any different from any other, ugly or not. It's digital. The control is in the software. But, I like my RAW images processed through ColorPerfect better than any other converter (regardless of what digital camera I use). This is straight out of the RAW file in CP:

Old 08-13-2013   #246
Mattco26

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post

I usually use my in manual mode and hit the green button before shooting. I personally don't like some guy in Japan deciding what ISO, f-stop, shutter speed I use.
To each his own but I don't understand this line of thinking and I hear similar things all the time. Usually it's someone who thinks shooting their DSLR in manual mode makes them a real photographer because they're making all the decisions.

That isn't you I know but I'm still confused. You're in manual mode, you've selected your ISO in the camera and your aperture on the lens body. Now you hit the green button so some Japanese guy isn't deciding how your photographs look.

The camera is then going to choose the right shutter speed for a proper exposure. Finally you hit the shutter and take your photo. The camera still chose the shutter speed for you. The same speed it would have chosen if you'd just used Av mode with a chosen ISO.

If you still want to be able to use the aperture ring, but not have to hit the green button every time you can use the tape trick I described earlier and cover the contacts on your F 28mm. Then you would have manual aperture control, but without having to hit the green button before every photo.

Also you don't need to keep your shake reduction off in fear of leaving it on while using a tripod. If you use the remote or the self timer the camera automatically turns it off for you. The shake reduction really is quite good on the K-01, useful as well.

I hope this info is helpful.

Old 08-13-2013   #247
2WK
Rangefinder User

While many consider it ugly, it is so odd I actually like it. My buddy was considering getting one to mount to the back of his Pentax 67 lens' for fun.

Old 08-13-2013   #248
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattco26 View Post
To each his own but I don't understand this line of thinking and I hear similar things all the time. Usually it's someone who thinks shooting their DSLR in manual mode makes them a real photographer because they're making all the decisions.

That isn't you I know but I'm still confused. You're in manual mode, you've selected your ISO in the camera and your aperture on the lens body. Now you hit the green button so some Japanese guy isn't deciding how your photographs look.

The camera is then going to choose the right shutter speed for a proper exposure. Finally you hit the shutter and take your photo. The camera still chose the shutter speed for you. The same speed it would have chosen if you'd just used Av mode with a chosen ISO.

If you still want to be able to use the aperture ring, but not have to hit the green button every time you can use the tape trick I described earlier and cover the contacts on your F 28mm. Then you would have manual aperture control, but without having to hit the green button before every photo.

Also you don't need to keep your shake reduction off in fear of leaving it on while using a tripod. If you use the remote or the self timer the camera automatically turns it off for you. The shake reduction really is quite good on the K-01, useful as well.

I hope this info is helpful.
Thanks for that, I didn't know that the SR is off with the remote which I use when doing tripod work. But as I'm mostly a film guy, I have no reason to worry too much about these machinations of digital engineers. As I've said I like Aperture mode, because I have no appetite for action shots. Still this is an easy camera to use with minimal Japanese junk added on (not like my wife's Lexus):

With a Vivitar Macro Flash.

Old 08-13-2013   #249
Godfrey
wonderment

Kirk Tuck seems to like the K-01 he acquired recently:

Pentax K-01 : Please send me a case of these! - Kirk Tuck's blog

G