Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film vs Digital

Film vs Digital Discussions about the relative advantages and disadvantages of Film vs Digital are important as they can help us understand our choices as photographers. Each medium has strengths and weaknesses which can best be used in a given circumstance. While this makes for an interesting and useful discussion, DO NOT attack others who disagree with you. Forum rules are explained in the RFF FAQ linked at the top of each page.

View Poll Results: Would he use film or digital?
I believe he would still use film. film has much more to offer, even now. 134 38.62%
He would go M9 for sure 161 46.40%
D700 after he nagged on forums about the M8 magenta problem 52 14.99%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

What would HC Bresson Do?
Old 10-21-2010   #1
bizarrius
the great

What would HC Bresson Do?

Well, all we see around is "i use film because bla bla" and "i use digital because bla bla"
One of many reasons on why people use film is: "i like film because big photographers used it and they didn't need anything more"
yes but they never had digital :S

So...what do you think that HC Bresson would do if he was alive today?
Would he still use film or would he go M9? or even D700?

i am here: www.bizarri.us

Old 10-21-2010   #2
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrius View Post
Well, all we see around is "i use film because bla bla" and "i use digital because bla bla"
One of many reasons on why people use film is: "i like film because big photographers used it and they didn't need anything more"

Exactly. But this is so far into the counterfactual condititional that I can't bring myself to vote. France in 2010 is so different from France in 1930 that it's another unbridgeable gap, and HCB was a one-off anyway...

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-21-2010   #3
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Uh, he died in 2004, mind you. Digital cameras at this point were widely available, he could use one if he wanted.

Case closed.

My Flickr

Old 10-21-2010   #4
Mcary

None of the above: He'd tell us to stop wasting so much time worrying about what he would do and just go out and take some F'n pictures. Or better yet learn how to paint.
Not work safe

Old 10-21-2010   #5
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by varjag View Post
Uh, he died in 2004, mind you. Digital cameras at this point were widely available, he could use one if he wanted.

Case closed.
Hadn't he given up photography some time before?

And isn't the real question some way from what HCB would have done? Or Julia Margaret Cameron or Doisneau or anyone else, really? Isn't it closer to, "Are there any great photographers using film today," in which case the answer is surely 'yes', or "Are there any great photographers using digital today," in which case the answer is also 'yes'.

HCB used a relatively new and untried technology with the Leica. Willy Ronis switched from Rollei to Foca and then Pentax in the 1950s. Yes, there are always great photographers who choose a particular medium/ camera/ format for the look it gives, but my suspicion is that they always look at what's available; at what's easiest to use; at what'll come closest to what they want; at what they can afford (not a problem in HCB's case); and then choose the best compromise.

To pretend that all of the greats of the past would have made exactly the same compromises, now that digital is in the mix, is patently nonsensical. Of course some (probably most, in my view) would choose digital, simply because an awful lot of photographers, even good ones, stick with mainstream technologies. Equally, others don't. Which is why I can't answer the poll.

Phrase it in terms of "Should we use film because HCB did," and although it's a slightly more useful debate, the answer is still "Of course not. Use what you're happy with."

Somewhere in here, though, there is almost certainly a question worth asking. I just don't think that the OP found it, and I certainly haven't been able to phrase it right. But for me, RFF is currently displacement activity from writing some fiction, which is much harder work.

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-21-2010   #6
robklurfield
eclipse

you got that right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcary View Post
None of the above: He'd tell us to stop wasting so much time worrying about what he would do and just go out and take some F'n pictures. Or better yet learn how to paint.

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 10-21-2010   #7
robklurfield
eclipse

What about Daguerre?

If HCB were alive and could use a time travel machine to visit the year 2100 and he met up with a group of itinerant space aliens, what lens would he use to capture their portraits?

The way I see it is that Cartier-Bresson was no one's technician. His photography isn't fundamentally about that. He was focused on capturing a view of life from where he stood. He used the tools that were at hand. If he were alive and if he returned to photography (he dropped it pretty thoroughly, didn't he), he'd do the same now as he did way back when. He'd grab the best, most convenient tool nearby and he'd record his version of what he saw. Pretty plain and simple. He'd probably think us all to be wasting our time on such silly speculation. Also, Leica would probably give him an M9 titanium which he wouldn't use because it was too slippery.

I have seen a picture of him holding a Minolta CLE.

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

Old 10-21-2010   #8
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Roger,

You certainly have a point if we talk about hypothetic Cartier-Bresson from a parallel universe, born a century later. I was more addressing the "what HCB would do be he alive now" part, and to that I think we have clear answer: he would most definitely not use any digital camera sold before August 2004.

My Flickr

Old 10-21-2010   #9
igi

I think HCB would use digital.

By the way, HCB does not develop his own film right?

Old 10-21-2010   #10
igi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Non of the above.
In fact he gave up photography completely years before his death and went back to sketching with a pencil. So if he were still alive today I guess he'd still be sketching.
I think what the OP clearly meant was what would HCB use today if he was still into photography... not the technicality of today being 2010 and he stopped photography many years before his death.

This discussion is interesting so lets not be too stiff on the facts as we at least know what the OP means.

Old 10-22-2010   #11
bizarrius
the great

Thank you igi.
My main ponder is that i often look at commentary videos or pictures of photographers i am influenced by or more specifically...jealous of them and they use mainly film but i am really wondering exactly what igi said, and i probably wasn't able to write that down. i suck at writing text. i can only talk on camera (thats my dayjob )

no need to flame me or anything. its just a poll and a stupid question amongst others

i am here: www.bizarri.us

Old 10-22-2010   #12
Roger Hicks

No flaming intended. As I say, there's a really good question in there somewhere -- possibly several really good questions.

How about: Are we sometimes over-influenced by (overly jealous of) the past? Do we try to ignore all the changes that have occurred in technology and society since our heroes were taking pictures? If so, what is the best way to counter this tendency?

Personally I'd recommend going to Arles: http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...es%202010.html

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-22-2010   #13
Frontman

This week I am carrying a couple different cameras. The first is a little Lumix DMC-LX5. My usual digicam has been a Nikon D-300, but I decided to get something smaller and lighter. So far I am really enjoying the Lumix. It powers up instantly, focuses quickly, and works great at higher ISO settings.

The second camera is a Canon 7 with the big 50/.095 lens. I am using this combo for the first time, and wondering what kind of results I am going to get out of it. I'll be doing a lot of developing this week, I'm nearly through a brick of Trix.

Old 10-22-2010   #14
robklurfield
eclipse

no question is stupid. sorry if my comment came across as flaming. not my intention at all.

if your day job involves "talking on camera" you are probably a lucky man. rather than feeling jealous, why not shoot more film when you're not at your day job?

I don't think HCB cared to much about the equipment so long as it worked, was easy to handle and unobtrusive. As some else observed, he rarely processed or printed anything himself. So, I suspect, if he were at this same game today, he would use whatever they stuck in his hands. I could easily see him with an M9 or an MP. I doubt he'd carry both at once. He seemed to be quite the minimalist in terms of equipment.

Quote:
Thank you igi.
My main ponder is that i often look at commentary videos or pictures of photographers i am influenced by or more specifically...jealous of them and they use mainly film but i am really wondering exactly what igi said, and i probably wasn't able to write that down. i suck at writing text. i can only talk on camera (thats my dayjob )

no need to flame me or anything. its just a poll and a stupid question amongst others

Old 10-22-2010   #15
PatrickONeill

he would use an iPhone4 =p

Old 10-22-2010   #16
ramosa

i cannot see henri changing from film to digital. no way ...

Old 10-23-2010   #17
chrismoret
RF-addict

He probably used film. He had no reason to switch, I've understand mr HCB 'outsourced' all his film-processing and printing work. :-)
tumblr

Old 10-29-2010   #18
Neare

Has anyone ever tried to teach photoshop to an elderly man?
Doesn't work.

Old 10-29-2010   #19
cheva

As far as I know, HCB gave up photography in the 70s and returned to his "first love" which is painting and drawing. Before that he was more interested in the act of taking photos rather than processing and printing work. Therefore I think he would use an M9.

D700? no way.

Old 10-30-2010   #20
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neare View Post
Has anyone ever tried to teach photoshop to an elderly man?
Doesn't work.

bull! Not that I am elderly...depends on whom you ask...LOL...

Dave

Last edited by dave lackey : 10-30-2010 at 10:40.

Old 11-09-2010   #21
jsrockit

Perhaps Leica would have given him an M8 or an M9 as a present, but since he was an old man, he would probably stick with what he was comfortable with... film.

Old 11-23-2010   #22
Ted2001

He'd try the D700, then trade it for a smaller D90 with 16-85.

Old 11-25-2010   #23
funkpilz

Uhm, I thought HCB used a Leica because the Contax, pro camera of the day, was too expensive for him?

Old 11-25-2010   #24
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Quote:

In my opinion a pointless question.
How would I or anyone else possibly know what HCB would do?
If he was alive, and if he chose a Film camera, so what?
Or, if he was alive, and instead he chose a Digital camera, again, so what?
I think after pondering this question for the Unit of Planck Time that it so richly deserved, that one way or the other, I couldn't care less.

Last edited by rbsinto : 11-25-2010 at 11:21.

Old 11-25-2010   #25
JohnTF

Location: Home is Cleveland, Summers often Europe, Winters often Mexico.
It seems as if HCB shot from the hip and passed the film on -- perhaps he would have done the same and passed the SD card on for post processing?

I did read somewhere that there were times when he enjoyed shooting a roll or so with a P&S of some type or another, so I would surmise he had no residing prejudice against current technology.

Besides, I can hardly imagine any of the companies not sending him any sample to test to his liking--

The real question, perhaps, is would he chimp with every exposure or wait for his printer to deliver 11x14's ? ;-)

There is that feeling you get some days when you see and shoot well, knowing which images are really good- at the moment of exposure-- am thinking the better photographers have more of those days than I.

I feel fortunate when I find one of those days and I want equipment that helps me not muck it all up.

Regards, John

Josef Sudek

Last edited by JohnTF : 11-25-2010 at 10:37.

Old 11-25-2010   #26
antiquark
Derek Ross

Didn't HCB dislike using color film? I think he said it was "ridiculous."

If he never got into color film, I can't see him embracing digital.

Old 11-26-2010   #27
eddie1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquark View Post
Didn't HCB dislike using color film? I think he said it was "ridiculous."

If he never got into color film, I can't see him embracing digital.
he'd have the sway to get a custom b/w filter installed

The Not Stolen leftovers
Fed 4, industar 61, ,Mamiya Super 23, Bronica etrsi, 4 lenses, Big ass old Metz Handle Flash
K7, 14 2.8, 35 2.4 a bunch of Taks

Old 11-26-2010   #28
ZlatkoBatistich

There's no way to know, but we can still have fun discussing it. If he were a young man today, he would likely use digital as the speed of digital is now often required for photojournalism. He would likely use an M9, but might also have some other small camera.

Old 01-02-2011   #29
savantcreative
Savantcreative

He would be digital if he was able to learn PhotoShop

Old 01-16-2011   #30
Kiyoshi
Convicted Film Addict.

this thread is ridiculous.
FujiFilm TX-1
Sony α7
Flickr
My photo blog

Old 01-17-2011   #31
rolleistef

He would keep doing what he was doing since the late 1970s - draw with a pencil.

RFF EuroMeet 2010-Florence !!!

Old 02-10-2011   #32
brandonmsweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleistef View Post
He would keep doing what he was doing since the late 1970s - draw with a pencil.
so so true

Old 02-10-2011   #33
erik

IF he was still alive, IF he had not already given up photography all together. IF he wasn't already HCB and just starting out. Could go anyway you would like to argue it. Consider others who are at similar points in their careers. Lee Friedlander has not switched, why would he? He has a work flow that he has perfected over decades and serves him well. IF he were 25 and had to make a living the answer would be different. But then he would not yet be the master that we now know. I think HCB would scoff at this question.

Old 02-10-2011   #34
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Paint.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 02-21-2011   #35
obama6493

Quote:
Originally Posted by varjag View Post

Case closed.

Old 04-02-2011   #36
tom.w.bn

Either he would paint or he would use a modern camcorder.

Old 04-03-2011   #37
ramosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcary View Post
Full agreement here

Old 04-03-2011   #38
dave lackey

HCB did not care about image quality? First time anyone has ever said that and it is incorrect.

How many times have I seen a video of Bresson making sure his prints were just so before he signed them? Maybe there is a difference in describing image quality here?

Dave

Old 05-12-2011   #39
TaoPhoto
Documentary Photographer

I couldn't choose one of the poll choices, as they simply don't offer enough breadth. There is no reason to assume that HCB wouldn't choose SLR's over RF's, another brand over Leica, some kinds of digital over some kinds of film. In his day, choices were more limited, and he choose tools from what was available to him. With today's much broader choices, who knows? If he were starting today he might choose a digital P&S. I don't get the impression that he credits the camera, per se, for his successes.

This obsession with hardware does us a disservice. If any one of us took thousands of pictures every year, for a decade or so, with nothing but a Brownie and Tri-X, we'd begin to produce some amazing results. There is something to be said for really, really knowing your tools, for all their strengths and flaws. The master woodcarver does not spend his days on the 'net lusting after better chisels. Choose good tools, know your tools, master your tools. It's a very old progression that gets one from apprentice to journeyman to master.

Main shooters: Leica M8, D-Lux 4, OM-1n, Zorki 4K

Old 06-20-2011   #40
dallard

If a pig sprouts wings, how far can it fly?