Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Scale Focus 35's

Scale Focus 35's Though not rangefinders, scale focus 35's are 1st cousins. This forum includes such popular gems as the Rollei 35's, Petri 35's, and the Olympus XA-4.

Old 11-17-2010   #81
paulfish4570

You are shooting, developing and scanning about a roll a day. I figure that is a minimum of three waking hours per day.
My, you ARE blessed with an understanding family.
Wonderful work, Zeno ...

Rollei 35
Old 11-17-2010   #82
IanBiggar

Rollei 35

Congrats -some fine seeing - you got through the bottleneck that a lot don't - i.e. leaving the equipment behind and concentrating on the image!

Old 11-17-2010   #83
petronius

Thank you IanBiggar, and welcome to RFF!
Paul, not every day. The work concentrates on the weekends and in the late evening. No pubs, no events, we feel most comfortable at home.

Old 11-17-2010   #84
paulfish4570

As it should be ...

Old 11-17-2010   #85
robklurfield
eclipse

Zeno, I'm curious if you feel that the project so far has caused you to alter your way of working or visualizing? I think the results so far look wonderful, but then I was always fond of your work before you embarked on this exercise. Perhaps it will take you the entire year to draw any meaningful conclusion as to what it means to your style, but I'm wondering what your read on this is now.

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichs and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 11-17-2010   #86
btgc

I guess this is project many appreciate because we sinners can't step back from many cameras.

Old 11-17-2010   #87
petronius

Rob, Ive been talking with a friend of mine lately; (he is a sculptor and I trust in his eye!) In our dialogue he asked for changes in my vision and my final sentence was: "My photos become more and more subjective".
I mean and feel (or hope) that I am following my own vision and my own compositions.

Thoughts ...
... about the one camera thing:
I did not hope or wish to increase my skills very much by reducing the gear, I only wanted to be free from the daily pain of choosing equipment.
I was afraid to become a slave of the possibilities and thought it would be better to be master of the limitations.

... about the one year thing:
I dont have a target for this year, I want to play on my way. The fun is big these days and the lust for gear becomes smaller each day.

... about changes:
I changed from stand development to normal agitation from time to time and experimented with higher temperatures of the developer. I think it gave me better tones in some situations.

You see, these thoughts are quite erratic and will surely change from time to time; Sometimes Im not sure whether i can go the whole year, sometimes Im even thinking of a continuation after the year!

A positive conclusion is that the thrill of taking the film from the reel is increasing!

Edit: btgc, no one and everyone is a sinner;-) The cardinal sins give possibilities to everyone!

Last edited by petronius : 11-17-2010 at 09:51.

Old 11-17-2010   #88
iamzip
Ambitious, but rubbish

Nice stuff. Great little camera.

Old 11-17-2010   #89
robklurfield
eclipse

well put. especially the notion of being a "master of limitations."

I force myself to shoot something nearly every day. I think the more we shoot, generally, the more finely honed our personal vision becomes. Subject works for me.

I find that your style is almost always recognizable, though you occasionally provide a surprise in that area. I do feel that the recognizable style never takes away from the freshness of the images, as you see different things to record each time you go out.

I'm enjoying seeing your "project" and I'm glad that you don't feel obligated to apply stringent "metrics" to how you're doing it, rather letting your heart and feelings guide you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petronius View Post
Rob, Ive been talking with a friend of mine lately; (he is a sculptor and I trust in his eye!) In our dialogue he asked for changes in my vision and my final sentence was: "My photos become more and more subjective".
I mean and feel (or hope) that I am following my own vision and my own compositions.

Thoughts ...
... about the one camera thing:
I did not hope or wish to increase my skills very much by reducing the gear, I only wanted to be free from the daily pain of choosing equipment.
I was afraid to become a slave of the possibilities and thought it would be better to be master of the limitations.

... about the one year thing:
I dont have a target for this year, I want to play on my way. The fun is big these days and the lust for gear becomes smaller each day.

... about changes:
I changed from stand development to normal agitation from time to time and experimented with higher temperatures of the developer. I think it gave me better tones in some situations.

You see, these thoughts are quite erratic and will surely change from time to time; Sometimes Im not sure whether i can go the whole year, sometimes Im even thinking of a continuation after the year!

A positive conclusion is that the thrill of taking the film from the reel is increasing!

Edit: btgc, no one and everyone is a sinner;-) The cardinal sins give possibilities to everyone!

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichs and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

Old 11-30-2010   #90
john neal
fallor ergo sum

Zeno,

The 2nd shot from roll 101 is outstanding - definitely calls for pro printing.

I notice that you get a little vignetting - is that the camera, or just your style?

John

Old 12-01-2010   #91
petronius

Thank you John. I increased the contrast of this picture very much to get the road glowing. This increased the vignetting too. The lens has little vignetting that I like as well as the "soft" corners of the Tessar.

Last edited by petronius : 12-02-2010 at 03:41.

Old 12-01-2010   #92
john neal
fallor ergo sum

Zeno,

Worth the effort, definitely. Yet again the 2nd shot of roll 104 is a stunner, and i think you are increasing the percentage of outstanding shots as time goes by - the last shot of 103 is another example.

I wish I had the time to do something like this. I now have my 35s with me daily, but don't get much chance to be out and about in daylight. Your sequence gave me the impetus to look back through some of my B&W shots from compact cameras, and I realised how much I had enjoyed the Rollei 35 and one of their other products - the Voigtlander vf101 - I think some of my best compact shots were made with that. Here's one from my gallery:-

I'm looking hard for that camera - it's in storage somewhere!

John

Old 12-02-2010   #93
petronius

John, nice picture; the VF 101 was close to zhe Rollei 35 when I choose the camera for this year, only the fact thatthe VF 101 needs batteries let the Rollei win. (Do you know that the VF 101 can be converted to use CR123A lithium batteries?)
The percentage of my keepers did not really increase in the first three months, Im really glad that I found at least one shot for publishing on some rolls. The rolls 102, 103 and 104 were shot in the village where my parents still live and were mostly shot in one hour on a Sunday morning walk with my son.
To get out in daylight is not easy in this dark season, but I try to take the camera out in my lunch break.

Old 12-02-2010   #94
john neal
fallor ergo sum

Zeno, thanks - I think the Skopar gives very similar results to the Tessar (but they are probably different formulas). Mine is original, in that it takes 4 x PX625 (or 2 x in emergencies). I used to make 625 adapters to use the SR44, so it wasn't a problem. I suppose the conversion is by removing the devider plates? Does the meter need adjustment?

I managed to get out in winter sun for 30 mins today and shot some around a farmers market and the seafront near the office. Not sure when I will get it processed though

Keep up the good work - it's paying off

John

Old 12-02-2010   #95
petronius

Yes, the complete battery compartment has to be removed. I didnt adjust the meter, but shot only CN and BW film.

Fine, that you found time to shoot!

Old 12-02-2010   #96
john neal
fallor ergo sum

Zeno, do you have the details of how to by any chance?

Pics soon I hope

John

Old 12-02-2010   #97
petronius

Have a look here:
http://shoesandblues.com/wordpress/?p=219

Old 12-02-2010   #98
john neal
fallor ergo sum

Thanks for that - it looks to be an easy (& reversible?) mod - with a lithium battery that makes the 101 a very modern (?) and usable camera.

I'll report back once I manage to find it - I know it's there somewhere, it's just been hidden since we moved house a while back. I found an Oly Pen EE-2 while looking, and that's currently stripped down to fix a sticky aperture, but I seem to have misassembled the shutter, as it won't close now. Fixed the apreture and "broke" the shutter!

John

Old 12-03-2010   #99
john neal
fallor ergo sum

I managed to get out at luch time again today - only to drop my 35s aaaarrrggghhh

Cold hands, gloves and not having the wrist strap in place - 4ft onto the pavement, right on a patch of road salt At least it landed on the end opposite the strap mount, and it still works.

Ah well, at least it now looks like 80% of all the other Rolleis out there...............

John

Old 12-03-2010   #100
petronius

OMG! I know that sound of a Rollei touching a hard surface - but luck for you, these beasts are hard to kill!

Old 12-03-2010   #101
paulfish4570

No. 3 in Roll 102 spoke to me, Zeno.

Because the little Rollei is zone focus, are you ever happily suprised by a point of focus different from what you intended?

Old 12-03-2010   #102
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

Another question for you, Petronius: are you represented in a gallery at all? You're one of my favorite photographers here; I have to believe someone like you can make a living with their art.

Old 12-03-2010   #103
petronius

Thank you Paul!
hipsterdufus, Im very thankful for your kind words! Im not represented by a gallery; whoever wants one of my photos, receives a print or a hi-res file for free.
Art for living was never a way for me. My father is an educated artist and as a child I often saw how hard it was for him to earn enough money to feed his family.
Today I have a regularily paid job and shoot for the fun of it. And thats good.
I dont have any intention to make money with my photography, because Im sure this would change my vision. And that would be bad.
When I die one day and no one ever takes further notice of my photos, well, I had the fun taking them!

Old 12-04-2010   #104
AgentX

Thanks for sharing the blog. It's made me think quite a bit.

Old 12-04-2010   #105
robklurfield
eclipse

Zeno, I love this one...

Reminds me of a French rendering of film noire -- Melville or Clouzot.

Hope you don't me posting your images into your thread without permission.

Old 12-04-2010   #106
petronius

Rob, thank you. Post them as you want!

Paul, I missed your question! The focus is mostly where I want it or completely off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
Thanks for sharing the blog. It's made me think quite a bit.
Thank you!
Any chance to read some of your thoughts?

Last edited by petronius : 12-04-2010 at 08:07.

Old 12-13-2010   #107
petronius

Sorry John, I have no idea. Luckily the RF in mine is ok!

Old 12-14-2010   #108
fidget
Lemon magnet

Many thanks for posting here and sharing your blog.
I love the idea of seeing slices of someone's everyday experiences and sights.
It has helped me to make an attempt to get myself away from a gear centric rut, with a more modest project to take at least one fresh image each week on a limited range of kit. (This may sound simple, but could be a challenge!)

Dave..

Old 12-14-2010   #109
petronius

Dave, whatever works for you will give you satisfaction!

Old 12-18-2010   #110
AgentX

Quote:
Thank you!
Any chance to read some of your thoughts?
Well, I can't guarantee any of it will be organized or useful, but...

You love tone and texture, the way they interact, and the way the camera renders them, and seem to shoot for joy of revealing this. Is this a revelation, or can it be a limitation in that it tends ultimately towards personal introspection rather than communication? Or is it both? Does knowing how much time you spend on this affect the way I view it?

Your work is intensely personal, visual note-taking at its finest. It's not a narrative but lives on the edge of narrative, deliberately looking at/granting significance to that which wouldn't often be considered significant.

Although you have some particular images that are striking, I think the work is much more coherent seen as a whole, and the temporal aspect is important. The whole thing is a very photographic catalog. You remind us that the images are self-consciously photographs, objects in and of themselves (or are they, being digitally presented?), through your method of presentation and filing on the blog; I can't consider the referent of the photo without considering the photo itself and where it sits in time and organization as an image among the other images you make. The indexical potential of photography is inescapably encoded into the work's presentation but is merged with the potentialities and conventions of the Internet.

I'd like to try the long-duration stand development you're using, and will give it a go. Sounds convenient and seems like you're getting good results even without use of a light meter.

Maybe I should stop moving to bigger formats and just carry my old Olympus XA around again. But I just got my large format setup running again.

There's something to be said for volume of images and experimentation over laborious slow and predictable work.

and so on and so on.

Again, thanks for sharing the blog and your great work.

Old 12-18-2010   #111
lxmike
M2 love

Petronious you are an inspiration to your fellow Rollei 35 user, I currently own two Rollei 35 and I have owned a few more in the past, funny enough all were used but not abused but all had a ding here or there. I feeel at night a magic sprite runs amuck in the world with a little hammer hitting Rollei 35's hence the dings and dents. The corners are particularly vulnerable I feel

myblog:lifefromawindow

myRFFgallery:

Old 12-18-2010   #112
petronius

AgentX, you named most of my intentions perfectly. The personal aspect beside the serial structure are most important for me. Ill have to read your answer some more times to get it fully, because my english has reached its limits in some phrases. Thank you!

The stand developing does not give the same results with every film, so you should test carefully!

lxmike, I have two Rollei 35 and ironically the bodies are clean and dentless, but the focusing rings have some issues.

Old 12-18-2010   #113
lxmike
M2 love

Thats the things about Rollei 35's there are always a few issues, but they are fun and capable tools

myblog:lifefromawindow

myRFFgallery:

Old 12-18-2010   #114
AgentX

Quote:
AgentX, you named most of my intentions perfectly. The personal aspect beside the serial structure are most important for me. Ill have to read your answer some more times to get it fully, because my english has reached its limits in some phrases. Thank you!

The stand developing does not give the same results with every film, so you should test carefully!
Entschuldigung-mein Deutsch ist furchtbar geworden!

Old 12-18-2010   #115
jcrutcher

You inspired me to buy a 35t which I'm learning to use. Do you ever shoot with a flash since the lens is kind of slow? I bought a e15b and have the first roll in using it. I'm assuming it's not automatic and I have to use the scale on back and adjust aperture Thanks for doing your blog!
Jim

Old 12-19-2010   #116
petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
Entschuldigung-mein Deutsch ist furchtbar geworden!
No need to deal with the "horrible german language" as Mark Twain quoted once;-) Im glad to exercise my english!

Old 12-19-2010   #117
petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrutcher View Post
You inspired me to buy a 35t which I'm learning to use. Do you ever shoot with a flash since the lens is kind of slow? I bought a e15b and have the first roll in using it. I'm assuming it's not automatic and I have to use the scale on back and adjust aperture Thanks for doing your blog!
Jim
Thank you for your kind words!
I never use flash. I posted some nightshots in my blog over the last weeks. Exposures were mostly 1/2 - 10 sec, sometimes with fixed camera, sometimes handheld.

Old 12-21-2010   #118
john neal
fallor ergo sum

Zeno,

Your inspiration is definitely bad for our wallets

Since the accident with my 35S, I have managed to find a nice 35TE for not a lot of money (OK, about 10 more than a B, but probably less than the service cost for the S), so I'm hoping that will be here tomorrow or Thursday

The S service will have to wait until my birthday.......

John

Old 12-21-2010   #119
petronius

So Im the scapegoat for your GAS!

My next project will be shot with one of these:

1,– Euro per truckload! No regrets after a GAS attack.

Just kidding!

But the output of one of these "cameras" is not so bad:

Old 12-21-2010   #120
btgc

Red dot cameras can be addictive!