Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Old 12-30-2010   #41
BillBingham2

Nice shots Mr. Tim.

B2 (;->

Old 12-30-2010   #42
Brian Sweeney

Beautiful images with a great lens. The rendering of the Nikkor-HC 5cm f2 is very close to the wartime CZJ 5cm F2 Sonnar "T", very different from the F1.4 lens. They are all good, the mechanics of the optical fixtures changed during the run. I was very lucky to have the correct front group for Alex's 1950 lens. Sometime early in the run of the Rigid lenses, the design was changed.

Old 01-07-2011   #43
alexnotalex

Lovely work Tim, I prefer these to the planar shots of the same models. (just my opinion of course)

Here's the winner from my last roll:

note to self: stop shooting indoors in winter with ISO200 film

Old 01-09-2011   #44
cfritze

I like the surface texture this lens gives me - not an especially noteworthy image, but an example of what I'm talking about.

Nikkor 50/2 Tokyo LTM, f5.6

Old 03-08-2011   #45
Michael Markey

I had the loan of one this week.
Thanks Noel.
Here with XP2 and at f2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img351_edited-3.jpg (30.9 KB, 96 views)

Old 03-08-2011   #46
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

Wow, this is an old thread. Nothing wrong with keeping it going, I guess. I have since bought a Summitar as a replacement for the Nikkor and sold the Nikkor. There was something that seemed a tad too clinical in my eyes about the Nikkor (especially for a lot of the portraits that I do). However, here's some of my favorites from this lens. I can post more examples as well, if folks would like.

Old 03-08-2011   #47
Brian Sweeney

I've never thought of the Nikkor-H 5cm f2 as too clinical. The contrast is higher than the contemporary Leica lenses, gives the impression of being sharper.

I just picked up a 5cm f2 Tanar- looks like a copy of the Nikkor, but in Black Paint.

waiting for the M9 to try out both, side-by-side.

Old 03-08-2011   #48
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney View Post
I've never thought of the Nikkor-H 5cm f2 as too clinical. The contrast is higher than the contemporary Leica lenses, gives the impression of being sharper.
That could be what I was seeing, Brian. When I got the Summitar, I ran a roll of portraits; half were shot with the Nikkor and half with the Summitar. I don't know what it was, but I liked the Summitar better.

Of course, to the average person, they would probably never notice the difference. But, like most photographers, I'm an OCD tinkerer that never stops obsessing about the "look" of my photos.

Old 03-29-2011   #49
alexnotalex

just keeps on giving!

Old 05-04-2011   #51
alexnotalex

yes! f4 this time.

Old 04-21-2012   #52
alexnotalex

still snapping away with this gem.

Old 06-12-2012   #53
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

I love this lens so much. My favorite portrait lens, probably only second to Zuiko 85/2 for the OM...

b/w guy.

flickr | RFF Gallery | Buy my prints on RFF Classifieds | Instagram | Portfolio

Old 06-12-2012   #54
crispy12

This lens is heavier than it looks! Really chunky piece of solid metal, very nice to hold. I keep thinking how great it would be to use this on a mirrorless camera like NEX or m43 due to the closer minimum focusing distance.

Old 06-12-2012   #55
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

BTW, my copy is modified by our very own lens master Roland and it can focus down to 0.7m (goes little more than that after disengaging with the cam), it is spot on at 0.7mm on digital M.

b/w guy.

flickr | RFF Gallery | Buy my prints on RFF Classifieds | Instagram | Portfolio

Old 06-13-2012   #56
marduk

My Nikkor H 50/2 looks definitely sharper than v3 cron at infinity, can't speak much about closer distances with my scanner, but it seems to have more pleasant bokeh too. Gem of a lens.

Old 01-27-2013   #57
helenhill
a Click in Time...

revive an Old Thread...

Bliss Street by helenhill_HH, on Flickr

Old 01-27-2013   #58
raid
Dad Photographer

I used my recently cleaned Nikkor 50/2 on the E-P2 yesterday. I am (again) impressed by this lens. Youxin did a good job.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-27-2013   #59
Paulbe

Helen--what a GREAT shot!
Don't know why--but I love it!
Thanks!
Didn't know you were a Nikon fan...
Paul

Old 01-27-2013   #60
Mark C

I got one with an M5 outfit a couple weeks ago. It's a nifty little lens, but I'm finding myself using the Summarit that was also part of the deal more often for some reason.

Helen, Bliss street looks lovely. This is Walnut Street, but only one over from Pleasant. We don't ever get quite to Bliss here in W.Va. Well maybe at New Vrindaban

Walnut Street, on Flickr

M4-2, Nikkor HC 5 cm, TMY.

Old 01-28-2013   #61
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I used my recently cleaned Nikkor 50/2 on the E-P2 yesterday. I am (again) impressed by this lens. Youxin did a good job.
Ha Raid, We're in a similar state of Mind...shooting with that 50
The Girrls look Lovely...this lens has such a Soft Glow...amidst its Sharpness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbe View Post
Helen--what a GREAT shot!
Don't know why--but I love it!
Thanks!
Didn't know you were a Nikon fan...
Paul
Cheers & Thanks Paul....I think it's tat dark hooded figure that draws You in
Amidst the metal vendor cart and gritty subway entrance
I recently acquired this Lens and it's made me fall hard again for the 50 perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
I got one with an M5 outfit a couple weeks ago. It's a nifty little lens, but I'm finding myself using the Summarit that was also part of the deal more often for some reason.

Helen, Bliss street looks lovely. This is Walnut Street, but only one over from Pleasant. We don't ever get quite to Bliss here in W.Va. Well maybe at New Vrindaban

Walnut Street, on Flickr
M4-2, Nikkor HC 5 cm, TMY.
Ahh, a Glimpse of Walnut Street....a Touch of Noir
A Woman Alone walking the gritty cracked cement, wires , & criss crossed wires...Love it !
This lens seems to add a Glam to All it 'sees'

Old 01-28-2013   #62
leicapixie

Wow! All, well almost all the shots show WHY people moved in droves to Nikon!
i love the soft rendition of my Collapsible Summicron, but as a pro, it was Nikon system.
Love this forum.

Last edited by leicapixie : 01-28-2013 at 04:50. Reason: layout

Old 01-28-2013   #63
sanmich

How much the f/2 is running these days?
How is it different from the 1.4?? (from f/2 of course)

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 01-28-2013   #64
raid
Dad Photographer

Hi Helen,
I agree with you. Your image shows well how B&W is rendered in your fine composition.
Many years ago, I compared about twenty 50mm lenses and I showed the results here. Dana was two years old then or so, and she was the model. The Nikkor had the best flare resistance of all lenses compared. It used to sell for $200.

Old 01-28-2013   #65
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmich View Post
How much the f/2 is running these days?
How is it different from the 1.4?? (from f/2 of course)
It has a smoother bokeh than the 50/1.4. A clean ltm example runs between $275-$375. Sometimes, you can find a Tower or Nicca bundled up with the 50/2 for $350-$550.

Old 01-28-2013   #66
Mark C

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
Wow! All, well almost all the shots show WHY people moved in droves to Nikon!
i love the soft rendition of my Collapsible Summicron, but as a pro, it was Nikon system.
Love this forum.
I like old Nikon gear, but can't really agree with that one. I think pros adopted Nikon's SLR for the versatile camera system. The lenses were fine, but I always have, and still do, prefer my Leica lenses to Nikkor SLR lenses. Every photographer I knew back then agreed.

Nikon made some nice RF lenses like this one. It is cheap and has a great look. Lots of fun, but I doubt it caused many people to abandon their Leicas.

Old 01-28-2013   #67
leicapixie

I was meaning getting other lenses than Leitz Leica, for our Leica-M's.
In terms of service my Nikon system has needed very little attention. My M3 is my most repaired camera. I know service people all over the world by first names..and their families.
I like using a Leica.

Old 01-29-2013   #68
goamules

Quote:
I like old Nikon gear, but can't really agree with that one. The lenses were fine, but I always have, and still do, prefer my Leica lenses to Nikkor SLR lenses. Every photographer I knew back then agreed.

Nikon made some nice RF lenses like this one. It is cheap and has a great look. Lots of fun, but I doubt it caused many people to abandon their Leicas.
Actually, the Pros (American war correspondents in Korea) did leave Leica glass in droves, and started putting the then obscure Nikkor lenses on their Leica bodies. Their reviews of the Nikkors, and their shots in Life magazine and others, caused huge demand for Nikkor lenses. From that point on, the small company exploded in growth, leading to it's later F series and dominance.

My Flickr Photos

Old 01-29-2013   #69
Mark C

That is of course exactly true. DDD pretty much created the Japanese photo industry, or at least jump started, or maybe even enabled, the success of it with the publicity generated in his wake.

I apologize for dragging this off topic. I was actually responding to something that was said about Nikon systems.

Hopefully, getting back on track, it would be fun to compare some similar vintage lenses like raid did a while back. It may be that Nikon gave Leica a kick in the backside in the forties that caused them improve their offerings. What would be the contemporary offering from Leica, a Summar, or Summitar? The Summitar would certainly be more of a match.

My Leica lenses are all a little newer, with the exception of a Summarit. I guess that would have been the competition for the 1.5 Nikkor DDD adopted.

Old 01-29-2013   #70
furcafe

Also, Zeiss also gave Leica a kick back in the 1930s. One of the main attractions of Zeiss Ikon's rival Contax system was the glass, which was generally considered to be superior to Leitz's offerings. Of course, it wasn't as much of business problem because Zeiss stuff was also more, sometimes significantly more, expensive than Leitz.

Post-WWII Japan was a bigger threat because they combined high-quality w/lower costs, first copying & later improving upon the best German designs. Note that the 5cm/1.4 Nikkor-S & 5cm/2 Nikkor-H were both based on the respective Zeiss Sonnar designs from the 1930s.

Quote:
That is of course exactly true. DDD pretty much created the Japanese photo industry, or at least jump started, or maybe even enabled, the success of it with the publicity generated in his wake.

I apologize for dragging this off topic. I was actually responding to something that was said about Nikon systems.

Hopefully, getting back on track, it would be fun to compare some similar vintage lenses like raid did a while back. It may be that Nikon gave Leica a kick in the backside in the forties that caused them improve their offerings. What would be the contemporary offering from Leica, a Summar, or Summitar? The Summitar would certainly be more of a match.

My Leica lenses are all a little newer, with the exception of a Summarit. I guess that would have been the competition for the 1.5 Nikkor DDD adopted.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 01-30-2013   #71
goamules

If I were going to compare, I'd compare the Nikkor to other Sonnar types like a Zeiss, the Canon 1.5, Jupiter-3, and a few others. I'm not sure if Leica ever made a Sonnar type, or close, so if not it would be comparing apples to oranges. But that can still be fun! Here I compared 3 Canon lenses at 3 apertures. I also did the J-3 the same day...not shown.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garrett...481717/detail/

Here's a good, short history of the Nikkors:
http://www.dantestella.com/technical/nikoleic.html

My Flickr Photos

Old 01-30-2013   #72
ferider

Quote:
What would be the contemporary offering from Leica, a Summar, or Summitar? The Summitar would certainly be more of a match.

The Nikkor 50/1.5 was introduced 1950, followed quickly by the 50/1.4. The German competion was obviously the Sonnar (for example used by Franck and HCB), the Summarit, and the early collapsible Summicron. WRT optical performance, very comparable, IMO. For 50mm, Japanese lenses competed on price only.

I think the real technical Nikkor threat to German glass in the early 50s was the 3.5/2.5 (1952). There was nothing comparable from either Leitz or Zeiss until the late 50s. The 35/2.5 is not too popular around here, but is an outstanding performer, given its age. There was also nothing German that compared in performance to the 2.8/3.5 and 10.5/2.5 Nikkors (1952 and 1953).

The lens that caught DDD's attention was the Nikkor 8.5/2 (1950?): a better performer than the respective Sonnar, with no contemporary match from Leitz.

Old 01-30-2013   #73
Mark C

It is an interesting point in photo history when Jun Miki snapped a picture of DDD with the 8.5cm Nikkor. Are those lenses really better than a Zeiss made Sonnar? Are the others? The 8.5cm shot is what caught Duncan's eye, but I don't think it is what he ended up buying. What was his long lens? Maybe a 13.5?

Duncan does mention in "This is War" that he and his colleagues found the Nikkors "far superior" to the German lenses with the exception of wide angle and long telephoto lenses (over 135mm). He said they felt the 50/1.5, 85, and 135 were the best Nikkors. They felt their German wide angles were better, and kept those.

I always kind of assumed that he was comparing the 50/1.5 to the Leica offering (Summarit), but it well may be correct that he was specifically comparing it to the Sonnar. Does anybody know for sure which f1.5 50 he was using then?

Old 01-30-2013   #74
ferider

Not sure Mark.

A couple of more things to remember:

1) Post WWII, Zeiss was disassembled and moved. Access to new Occupied Japan or German lenses was easier than getting a Sonnar, at least for a German, Swiss, French or American photographer.
2) Leitz continued production and developed, for example, the Summicron. But between 45 and 50, most of the remaining German male population was not allowed to work (classified as "Mitlaeufer" by the Allies).
3) I am also assuming that - even though published by the Allies post WWII - Leitz kept honoring the existing Zeiss patents.
4) Today we love our Barnacks. But arguably, with difficult access to Contax bodies, Canon and Nikon RF cameras must have been attractive to professional photographers between 1945 and 52. Unless you shoot "f5.6 and be there" mostly (like HCB), using an integrated finder and focus patch must have been appealing.

Roland.

Old 01-30-2013   #75
furcafe

Also, the relocated Zeiss Ikon didn't even get their "Zeiss-Opton" lens operation up & running until around 1951, for Contax RF lenses, anyway. That's why early Contax IIa/IIIa's were sold with lenses made in Jena, by their brethren under Communist rule on the other side of the Iron Curtain. The West German part of Zeiss basically had to reconstitute their entire optical works in Oberkochen, as the heart of their miniature camera (35mm, etc.) & lens production before the war had been in Jena & Dresden.

Plus, as the Zeiss afficionados know, after WWII, there was nothing official from Zeiss in LTM. Actual Zeiss lenses in LTM were made in very limited numbers during the war, & mainly for the military. After the war you basically had Soviet Jupiter copies of the Zeiss designs for the Kiev Contax copies or aftermarket conversions of Zeiss Contax mount lenses or optical parts. Either way, I think the main problem was quality control, as the Zeiss designs & coating formula were more than good enough. Nippon Kogaku, already a favored optical company before & during WWII, benefitted from the relatively more generous conditions of the U.S. Occupation & was able to concentrate on super premium quality (actually overbuilt) products.

As to the availability & attractiveness of Contax bodies, I agree w/Roland there, too. Because they were so expensive, even compared to the pricey Leica gear, only really well-financed or fortunate photojournalists could use them, the best-known example being Capa, but also many of the Time-Life shooters (IIRC, after the IIa/IIIa came out in 1950, they donated some of their old IIs & IIIs to Edmund Hillary's Everest expedition, though Hillary himself was a Retina man).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Not sure Mark.

A couple of more things to remember:

1) Post WWII, Zeiss was disassembled and moved. Access to new Occupied Japan or German lenses must have been much easier than getting a Sonnar, at least for a German, Swiss, French or American photographer.
2) Leitz continued production and developed, for example, the Summicron. But between 45 and 50, most of the remaining German male population was not allowed to work (classified as "Mitlaeufer" by the Allies).
3) I am also assuming that - even though published by the Allies post WWII - Leitz kept honoring the existing Zeiss patents.
4) Today we love our Barnacks. But arguably, with difficult access to Contax bodies, Canon and Nikon RF cameras must have been attractive to professional photographers between 1945 and 52. Unless you shoot "f5.6 and be there" mostly (like HCB), using an integrated finder and focus patch must have been appealing.

Roland.

Roland.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Last edited by furcafe : 01-30-2013 at 12:19. Reason: Corrections

Old 02-19-2013   #76
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Cloudy Day, Dirty Neg makes for Nostalgia... by helenhill_HH, on Flickr

Old 02-19-2013   #77
mretina