Old 11-17-2015   #321
Jerzyw

this is as well explanation which i heard, to avoid paying tax. Leitz (and maybe others) were doing it already before WWII. In particular, almost all III(a)sync originating from I, Standard or early II resulted in new camera returned back.
When talking about conversions - this was my favourite collection topic until few years. Some of my most interesting example I was showing in Leica Forum, German parrt, thread Leica Umbauten.

Old 11-20-2015   #322
Jerzyw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Would be great if you make some pictures.

Erik.
Erik,
my red curtain is 377368. Main body diecast has yet a different shape around rewind knob than my other 389301, which I was showing few days ago. And yes, it has as well rounded lightshields, however no shims under the front plate.
I am posting now 3 fotos, for an unknown reason RFF is cutting down my source jpg down to 18-20kB. This is a reason for thumbnail fotos. Please PM me with your email address, I will mail you more, in higher resolution
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R0012088.jpg (18.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg R0012089.jpg (20.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg R0012105.jpg (16.6 KB, 18 views)

Old 11-20-2015   #323
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzyw View Post
Erik,
my red curtain is 377368. Main body diecast has yet a different shape around rewind knob than my other 389301, which I was showing few days ago. And yes, it has as well rounded lightshields, however no shims under the front plate.
I am posting now 3 fotos, for an unknown reason RFF is cutting down my source jpg down to 18-20kB. This is a reason for thumbnail fotos. Please PM me with your email address, I will mail you more, in higher resolution
Thank you very much for this information, Jerzyw.

To load up pictures in RFf, you best load them up first in Flickr, copy them in the desired format and finally paste them into your text in RFf. Then everyone can enjoy them.

Is the red curtain still working properly? I've always thought they were of an inferior quality, but when I see yours, I think I can get mine - 374820 - back to service too!

Erik.

Old 11-20-2015   #324
Jerzyw

My camera has typical disease - speeds are to slow, second image hardly visible, Vulkanit peeling off and broken and someone installed flash sync with socket in the shell. This is the reason why I opened it. Curtains are however in very good condition, without any black marks. I will remove flash sync, replace half mirror and will try to restore Vulkanit as much as possible.

Old 11-20-2015   #325
Erik van Straten

My camera is exactly the opposite: it is like new - only some bright marks on the chrome - but the curtains have black marks and are sticky. When I install new curtains, it will be no longer a "red curtain IIIc", so I have to leave it as it is.

Erik.

Old 11-20-2015   #326
Jerzyw

This is bad, I do not know anything what could stop derubberizing process. Temporarily you could help yourself with talk (children powder) to apply it on the black side of curtains and maybe as well on red side, on places when black rubber penetrated through. This shall prevent stickiness, but will not stop the process.
Some years ago MicroTools was selling red curtain fabric, unfortunately I did not bought it then. I was not able to locate any source for red curtain fabric now. Shall any RFF member know the source, pleaseeeee

Old 11-08-2016   #327
Bar8barian

Hi,
Not seen any threads or posts from LeicaTom for nearly 12 months has he left RFF?.

Old 11-08-2016   #328
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar8barian View Post
Hi,
Not seen any threads or posts from LeicaTom for nearly 12 months has he left RFF?.
Yes. IIRC he's into VW Beetle restoring now. Not so much LeicaTom but BeetleTom

This used to be his thread but when he left it got deleted and Stephen brought it back from the dead after many requests from members.

Meanwhile, here's something nice to read about when it comes to red-curtain Leicas: http://johanniels.com/index.php/came...ain-leica-iiic

Now why did I ever sell that camera, it would have been worth thousands by now