Old 11-13-2016   #1521
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromacomaphoto View Post
Hopefully it is not too arrogant of me to think that you are referring to my photo above as there are so many nice ones on this thread from which to choose. Your comment does appear directly below my image so I'll say thanks anyway and do please excuse me if I have got that wrong. By the way, I like the B+W stuff on your linked photos the best, especially the girl on the train with the headphones on and the guy through the restaurant window on the corner.
Not arrogant at all and thank you for following my flickr link and your comments. What immediately struck me about your picture is the way the light moves down through the scene, I found it very striking, and the look of the 35 Summilux too of course!

Regards

Simon

Old 11-13-2016   #1522
Chromacomaphoto

Thanks, yeah, a nice lens indeed. I'm not technical enough to explain it well but there's something about the light fall off and rendering of the pre-asph 35 that really appeals for B+W. I seem to only really like the older Leica lens signatures (this pre-asph, Summaron 35 2.8, Elmarit 90, DR cron 50 and collapsible 50 etc) and not big on the newer glass. I don't have a Leica M body right now (mainly MF shooting at the mo and have Nikon for occasional 35mm) so I am able to control GAS for buying another one but I did really enjoy owning and shooting it. Really compact in size on an M body and makes for an eminently practical daily carry rig.

Old 11-20-2016   #1523
music_healing

Bassist : from musician POV by William Jusuf, on Flickr

Sincerely
William Jusuf

Old 11-29-2016   #1524
giulio stucchi

m2, summilux 35 v2 infinity lock, neopan 400@ 1600, lc-29

Giulio

Waiting
Old 11-30-2016   #1525
analoged

Waiting

Leica M6, Summilux 35 Pre Asph, Fuji Neopan 400, Hc110 Dil E @8min

Old 11-30-2016   #1526
maddoc
... likes film.

I like this one a lot.

Quote:
I do miss this lens sometimes....

flickr
pBase

Old 12-01-2016   #1527
Chromacomaphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
I like this one a lot.
Thank you Sir, you've made my day.

I should explain, I've been inspired by your Japanese film shots for years. It was that work of yours (and about five other people's work on RFF that spring to mind) that pushed me to sign up and take part here. Nice for me to be able to produce a shot that you like.

Old 12-01-2016   #1528
maddoc
... likes film.

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Quote:
Thank you Sir, you've made my day.

I should explain, I've been inspired by your Japanese film shots for years. It was that work of yours (and about five other people's work on RFF that spring to mind) that pushed me to sign up and take part here. Nice for me to be able to produce a shot that you like.

flickr
pBase

Old 12-15-2016   #1529
giulio stucchi

m2, summilux 35 v2 infinity lock, tri-x400, lc-29

Brussels, Haren:

Giulio

Old 12-15-2016   #1530
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Quote:
I do miss this lens sometimes....

Me LOVES this too... Tres Atmospheric, Swoooon !

A Lover of Leica M's...
Best Wishes -H

Old 12-16-2016   #1531
Chromacomaphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Me LOVES this too... Tres Atmospheric, Swoooon !
Thanks Helen, you're a sweetie and certainly the 'Grandmistress of Atmospheric shots' on this forum! With such kind praise from both you and Gabor I think I could die and go to heaven now quite happily.

Btw Ms.Hill, whilst I have your attention, your Flickr albums have a lot to answer for in terms of inducing lens lust! There's both a 35 pre asph lux and an 21SA 3.4 full set with hood and finder for sale very close to me at the minute... I'm trying to resist but your photos are not making it easy :-) Your work with that 21 is straight out of a movie set, blows my mind.

Old 12-16-2016   #1532
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Quote:
Thanks Helen, you're a sweetie and certainly the 'Grandmistress of Atmospheric shots' on this forum! With such kind praise from both you and Gabor I think I could die and go to heaven now quite happily.

Btw Ms.Hill, whilst I have your attention, your Flickr albums have a lot to answer for in terms of inducing lens lust! There's both a 35 pre asph lux and an 21SA 3.4 full set with hood and finder for sale very close to me at the minute... I'm trying to resist but your photos are not making it easy :-) Your work with that 21 is straight out of a movie set, blows my mind.
Wow, how Lovely is that !
Santa came Early and Blessed Me with YOU... Very Kind, Thank You !

Lens Lust is truly hard to resist ,
Sometimes worth suffering for but ALL glass is Good, really !

Love to You- xo~ H

A Lover of Leica M's...
Best Wishes -H

Old 12-17-2016   #1533
giulio stucchi

m2, summilux 35 v2 infinity lock, tri-x400, lc-29

Giulio

Old 12-18-2016   #1534
Chromacomaphoto

Old 12-22-2016   #1535
michaelwj
----------------

One from the Christmas parade in town. For some reason they had astronauts dancing?

M6, 1.4/35 pre-asph, Fomapan 400 at 250 in R09

Last edited by michaelwj : 12-22-2016 at 11:27. Reason: wrong image!

2 wheels taxi driver
Old 12-27-2016   #1536
viboons

2 wheels taxi driver

2 wheels taxi driver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1263887.jpg (24.1 KB, 35 views)

Old 01-06-2017   #1537
Chromacomaphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
One from the Christmas parade in town. For some reason they had astronauts dancing?

M6, 1.4/35 pre-asph, Fomapan 400 at 250 in R09
This is so insane, I like it a lot.

Old 01-06-2017   #1538
Chromacomaphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by viboons View Post
2 wheels taxi driver

Bangkok! Nice shot

Old 01-23-2017   #1539
giulio stucchi

m6, summilux 35 v2 infinity lock, tri-x400, lc-29

Giulio

Old 01-23-2017   #1540
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Quote:
Wow again! Another lovely shot, well done indeed...

Old 01-23-2017   #1541
giulio stucchi

Giulio

Old 01-24-2017   #1542
michaelwj
----------------

Dagg Falls. Main Range NP, QLD

Queen Mary Falls. Main Range NP, QLD

Both photos: M4 35/1.4 pre-asph v2, Fomapan 400 @ 250 in R09 + lots of ice.

Last edited by michaelwj : 01-24-2017 at 01:41. Reason: Dang autocorrect didn't like "Dagg"

Old 01-24-2017   #1543
giulio stucchi

Nice Michael!
I see you were there with both the 35lux and the 21SA (I still don't have one yet...)

Giulio

Old 01-24-2017   #1544
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio stucchi View Post
Nice Michael!
I see you were there with both the 35lux and the 21SA (I still don't have one yet...)

Giulio
Thanks Giulio,

Yep, a nice pair! But do you get the Noctilux or the SA first...

I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my 21SA. A beautiful lens, but I get confused having two focal lengths and feel much better without the choice. The 35mm summilux is by far my favourite, and I'm much more comfortable with a 35mm. I don't know how you and Erik (and others) seem to move so seamlessly between lenses, always producing wonderful images with the same style. I find it very hard.

Old 01-24-2017   #1545
giulio stucchi

Michael, 35 is my main FL.
The Summaron 35 being my fave, the lux 35 the "special" and the cron asph the "modern" one.
I could get rid of the cron as it would be pretty easy to replace it at any time but I am getting attached to my glasses :-)
Since last year I started using 50s ending up with a lux 50 (pre) the nikkor 5cm 1.4 in S-mount (need to use it more!) and the little Elmar-M
The 21SA would fit the rendering of the lux 35 and nikkor 5cm but I rarely going out with more than 1 lens..maybe that’s why I am postponing the purchase since years now…
The Noctilux is growing on me lately and I am looking for a copy but I am still not sure if it will ever happen.
Btw, you are doing great with the 21 + 35 so please keep both :-) !

Giulio

Old 01-28-2017   #1546
giulio stucchi

Giulio

Old 01-28-2017   #1547
Erik van Straten

Beautiful portrait, Giulio, great!

Erik.

Old 01-29-2017   #1548
giulio stucchi

Thank you Erik.

Giulio

Old 01-29-2017   #1549
pyeh

Giulio, that's wonderful! You should cross-post this in "The Look" thread. These women's expressions are like my daughters' when I photograph them.

Old 01-29-2017   #1550
giulio stucchi

Thank you Peter.

Posted on "the look" too now :-)

Giulio

Old 01-29-2017   #1551
pyeh

Just saw it. Look great there!

Old 02-06-2017   #1552
michaelwj
----------------

M4 35mm summilux pre-asph v2, [email protected] in R09

Replacement Focus Tab
Old 02-09-2017   #1553
michaelwj
----------------

Replacement Focus Tab

For such a brilliant lens, the thing that always got me (after the flaring hood problem was solved) was the dinky plastic focus tab. It's almost like the lens was made to a budget, which was exhausted before the focus tab was thought of. I have a few issues with the tab;

1) It's not really that deep, so I don't get a great feel from it. Unlike the more modern or older 'infinity lock' lens tabs which have are tighter radius and a deeper surface.

2) It breaks easily. When you see how it is secured, it's amazing any of them lasted so long. There is just not enough plastic to ensure it doesn't break. I think this limitation (having to secure it with a screw) influences the shape - it can't be deeper or either there isn't enough material for a strong(ish) attachment, or on the other hand it would protrude too far and hit a surface when you put the camera down.

3) Directly related to 2), Leica in their infinite wisdom will no longer sell the part to independent repairers. In fact, the only authorised repair service in Australia said that Leica won't sell the part to them and it would have to back to Germany to get replaced. At a minimum cost of 300 Euro. Plus shipping. Minimum!

So given all of that, I thought I'd make my own. I wanted it to fit securely using the existing screw (not glue on like some replacements are - how inelegant is that!), requiring no modification to the lens. I also wanted to get the shape of the focus tab as close as possible to that of the 21mm Super Angulon which I believe has the best shape tab. It is also similar to the modern lenses and older ones like the 35mm Summaron for example. I also wanted it to have a weak point so it breaks rather than the lens.

I'm currently of prototype #2. Here is a shot of the first prototype and the original tab to compare the shape of the tab.

You can see the original (broken and glued back together) is relatively shallow, while my prototype v1 is deeper with a tighter curve. Mine is also metal (this one in Stainless Steel, v2 in Maraging Steel), so I need less material for the screw while maintaining strength, allowing it to maintain a low enough profile. v1 had a few issues though. Firstly the "wings" were a bit long and thin and it made manufacture too tricky so for v2 they were shortened and the depth increased. Secondly I was planning on tapping a thread for the screw, but it proved to be too secure and difficult. Basically there would not have been a weak point and the lens would have broken before the thread gave out.

Here is a shot of prototype #2

You can see I've made the changes to the "wings". What you can't see is that I've changed from tapping a thread on the inside to gluing a nut to the inside. The aim is that the glue here breaks before the lens does in the event of an accident, and then it can be simply glued back on. Nothing broken.

Changes for v3 (and hopefully final version). The 2 dowels and the nut need to be moved 0.5mm down (towards the rear of the lens). At the moment, it attaches a little bit too close to the front of the lens - you can almost see it overhanging. It doesn't get in the way, but is not elegant enough. It should and can be better. Apart from that, I'm super stoked with it (that means over the moon for non Aussies). It gives a way more positive feel, where I always felt like my finger was going to slip out of the original one. It's like a new lens.

Once I have the final design down, I'll make a batch (likely in Bronze) and offer them for sale in the classifieds here. At the moment I'm piggybacking other jobs, so don't really get to choose the material... They'll cost about US$50, which is the same as some plastic ones that I've seen on the bay.

I *think* the 35mm v4 summicron has the same shape, but I'm not sure 100%

(This was also posted on LUF)

Old 02-10-2017   #1554
Srono

Kanto Japan has the similar http://www.kantocamera.com/repair/focustub/index.html

Old 02-10-2017   #1555
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srono View Post
Yep, I've seen that one, it comes to US$105 + installation (brings it to US$175) and appears to just glue on (they charge extra if the lens requires disassembly but if it is attached any way other that glueing then it will ALWAYS need disassembly). It's also just the same inadequate shape as the original so it doesn't fit the bill in my opinion.

Old 02-10-2017   #1556
Mute-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
For such a brilliant lens, the thing that always got me (after the flaring hood problem was solved) was the dinky plastic focus tab. It's almost like the lens was made to a budget, which was exhausted before the focus tab was thought of. I have a few issues with the tab;

1) It's not really that deep, so I don't get a great feel from it. Unlike the more modern or older 'infinity lock' lens tabs which have are tighter radius and a deeper surface.

2) It breaks easily. When you see how it is secured, it's amazing any of them lasted so long. There is just not enough plastic to ensure it doesn't break. I think this limitation (having to secure it with a screw) influences the shape - it can't be deeper or either there isn't enough material for a strong(ish) attachment, or on the other hand it would protrude too far and hit a surface when you put the camera down.

3) Directly related to 2), Leica in their infinite wisdom will no longer sell the part to independent repairers. In fact, the only authorised repair service in Australia said that Leica won't sell the part to them and it would have to back to Germany to get replaced. At a minimum cost of 300 Euro. Plus shipping. Minimum!

So given all of that, I thought I'd make my own. I wanted it to fit securely using the existing screw (not glue on like some replacements are - how inelegant is that!), requiring no modification to the lens. I also wanted to get the shape of the focus tab as close as possible to that of the 21mm Super Angulon which I believe has the best shape tab. It is also similar to the modern lenses and older ones like the 35mm Summaron for example. I also wanted it to have a weak point so it breaks rather than the lens.

I'm currently of prototype #2. Here is a shot of the first prototype and the original tab to compare the shape of the tab.

You can see the original (broken and glued back together) is relatively shallow, while my prototype v1 is deeper with a tighter curve. Mine is also metal (this one in Stainless Steel, v2 in Maraging Steel), so I need less material for the screw while maintaining strength, allowing it to maintain a low enough profile. v1 had a few issues though. Firstly the "wings" were a bit long and thin and it made manufacture too tricky so for v2 they were shortened and the depth increased. Secondly I was planning on tapping a thread for the screw, but it proved to be too secure and difficult. Basically there would not have been a weak point and the lens would have broken before the thread gave out.

Here is a shot of prototype #2

You can see I've made the changes to the "wings". What you can't see is that I've changed from tapping a thread on the inside to gluing a nut to the inside. The aim is that the glue here breaks before the lens does in the event of an accident, and then it can be simply glued back on. Nothing broken.

Changes for v3 (and hopefully final version). The 2 dowels and the nut need to be moved 0.5mm down (towards the rear of the lens). At the moment, it attaches a little bit too close to the front of the lens - you can almost see it overhanging. It doesn't get in the way, but is not elegant enough. It should and can be better. Apart from that, I'm super stoked with it (that means over the moon for non Aussies). It gives a way more positive feel, where I always felt like my finger was going to slip out of the original one. It's like a new lens.

Once I have the final design down, I'll make a batch (likely in Bronze) and offer them for sale in the classifieds here. At the moment I'm piggybacking other jobs, so don't really get to choose the material... They'll cost about US$50, which is the same as some plastic ones that I've seen on the bay.

I *think* the 35mm v4 summicron has the same shape, but I'm not sure 100%

(This was also posted on LUF)
Bloody brilliant!
Have you considered chamfering the leading edge, like the 35/2.8 Summaron, and I expect the V1 Summicron? It creates a nice angle for the index finger knuckle to rest in.

I'm in for one regardless.

Cheers,

J

Old 02-10-2017   #1557
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
Bloody brilliant!
Have you considered chamfering the leading edge, like the 35/2.8 Summaron, and I expect the V1 Summicron? It creates a nice angle for the index finger knuckle to rest in.

I'm in for one regardless.

Cheers,

J
That was my initial aim, but then you run out of room for the screw (which is very close to that edge), or there is too much material and it sticks out too far and touches when you put the camera down. Also, the limited space on the ring it attaches too means it's a bit thinner than those tabs, but thicker than the original.

Old 02-10-2017   #1558
cnphoto

nice! I was always concerned over the focus tab breaking, on my 35 Lux it's been fine to date but she's seen A LOT of use over time... good to know there's a localish replacement option

Delta 100, Rodinal 1:50, yellow filter

Old 02-10-2017   #1559
jmilkins
Digited User

Watching the development of this one has been great Michael. I like the idea of brass - it will develop a nice patina. My tab is fine, but I'm in.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 02-10-2017   #1560
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilkins View Post
Watching the development of this one has been great Michael. I like the idea of brass - it will develop a nice patina. My tab is fine, but I'm in.
Can't do brass sorry, it'll be Bronze. Close, but not quite!