Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 01-11-2017   #41
taemo

cameras that I've been using quite a bit right now..

Fuji X-T2 with XF18mm and XF35mm 1.4
Yashica 124-G
Holga 120GN with 35mm rolls
Pentax ME Super with 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 2
Nikon FM2 with Voigtlander 28mm

the 2 SLR systems, I'm deciding whether to sell one and commit to the remaining but it's hard to let go of either one.

Old 01-11-2017   #42
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

don't really have a "kit". The last time I was out taking photos I carried

Hasselblad 501cm with NC-2 prism
50mm distagon
250mm sonnar
2 film backs hp5 and tmx shot at 1600 and 32 respectively
gossen luna-pro sbc meter

next time it will be something different.

Old 01-11-2017   #43
seagrove

For years I kept adding to my gear with the hopes of one day being able to work as a news shooter. When I finally did get a job with a small weekly (I was 51!), I spent 10 years with them before the newspaper industry went bust. At that time I had a least two SLR/DSLR bodies, a 4,0/12-24mm DX, 2,8/80-200mm, 2,8/300mm and 1,8/85mm and eventually added a 1,8/35mm DX and 3,5-5,6/18-200mm. When I retired in 2012 from my last corporate position, I sold it all (except the 1,8/85mm) and bought a Fuji X-System (X100S, X-E1, 1,4/35mm) to pair up with my one remaining film camera, a Yashica Electro35 GS that had belonged to my dad.
Yashica Electro35 GS, Fujifilm X100S, TCL-X100, sold everything else!

Old 01-13-2017   #44
David Hughes

With hindsight, which is - of course - impossible*, I'd have managed with just the Pentax ME Super and three or four primes, or the Minolta X-700 with the Tokina 28 - 85 Zoom and that wonderful little Contax Tix.

Alas, the Contax used APS film but was perfect while it lasted; actually, the Contax expired before my store of APS film did. A pity as there was a lot going for APS with a decent camera to use it in...

Regards, David

* Impossible because I'd have had to go decades without a camera.

Old 01-13-2017   #45
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

i seem to gravitate towards a two lens set, which - depending on the actual body - consists of a wide angle (21, 28 or 50mm) and a "normal" (40, 50 or 80mm).
rarely, a short tele complements (90, 105 or 150mm).

nothing fancy, actually ...

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Old 01-13-2017   #46
narsuitus

I have a number of different kits.

This week, I had to modify my close-up/macro kit which normally consists of:

Nikon 55mm f/3.5 macro lens
Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro lens
Nikon 105mm f/4 short mount macro lens
Nikon 28mm f/3.5 lens
Nikon PB-4 Bellows
Nikon M2 extension tube
Nikon PN-11 extension tube
Nikon K extension ring set
Nikon BR-2 lens reversal ring
14x18x6.5 inch hard case

I removed the 105mm f/4 short mount macro lens, 28mm f/3.5 lens, bellows, extension tubes, and extension rings, and reversal ring from the hard case. I added two Fuji X-Pro1 bodies, one Nikon F to Fuji X lens adapter, extra Fuji batteries, extra memory cards, electronic flash, extra flash batteries, and a 23mm f/1.4 Fujinon lens to the case.

I carried my modified close-up/macro kit and a sturdy tripod to a tabletop photography workshop.

Photographer by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 01-13-2017   #47
mpaniagua

Going on business travel and packing the following:

a) Leica M6
b) Canon 28mm/2.8
c) Elmar 50/3.5
d) Summaron 35/3.5
e) Elmar 90

Not sure to pack Elmar 90 though.

Would be the first time to pack only LTM lens.

Regards.

Old 01-13-2017   #48
fenixv8

Leica M240
Leica M3
90 cron
50 Cron
50 Lux
35 Cron
21 2.8 Zeiss Biogon
Canon 50mm 0.95 Dream lens
Canon 35mm 2.8 TS FD
Fuji xpro2
fuji 56 1.2
fuji 35 2
fuji 23 2

Old 01-13-2017   #49
ktmrider

Leica M2 and M5 with 35/50/90. Also have a 21 and 135 when a bit wider or longer is needed but the last two are not carried daily.

A year ago, it was a couple M2's and an M9.

Old 01-14-2017   #50
ozmoose

Since the '60s I've had periodic GAs attacks and bought up big - and then spent the next X years either using the equipment, trying to sell it (and usually failing), or wondering why the dickens I expended so much $$$ for the gear I bought.

Started out in 1962 with two Yashica TLRs. Sold one in1970, kept one until the early 2000s and then "donated" it to a friend who used it for spare parts. So it lives on, albeit in another body.

In 1966 I bought a Rolleiflex 3.5E2 TLR, still used, but has some lens separation so largely a shelf queen. In the '90s I was given two Rollei Ts with full kits and use those occasionally, the 16 exposure kits are a godsend in this era of super high expensive film.

1970s, I bought two Nikkormat ELs,which I still have and use nowand then. In recent years friends have gifted me with four others. Looking for new homes for them now, like giving away orphaned kittens. AIS/AI/F Nikkor lenses galore, all of which I will keep forever.

Other than buying odd cameras (a Pentax KM, a Minolta SRT101, Kodak Retinas and other odd bits), I was pretty good for about 20 years.In the' 90s I had more disposable income and GAS hit hard - a Fuji GA645(still used) and GA645wi (ditto, but nearing the end of its life).

Along came the 2000s and Ebay and I bought like a wildcat in heat - a Hasselblad 501CM (sold), two ELs (sold), a 500C (sold), a 500CM (sold last year), three lenses (still have), film backs, accessories. Also two or three Rollei TLRs, bought cheap in the vain hope of someday restoring them. Now sold.

In 2004 a local camera shop closed down and I made a successful bid on the contents - the lot filled an entire large storage locker plus three fridges for film and paper. Two Contax G1s with 20-28-35-45-90 lenses. Most of the locker contents has been sold off now, but I've kept the G1s, electronic marvels but they have given me the best color slides I've ever taken. Now rarely used. To be sold off this year, or kept until I've used up my remaining stock of +/- 200 rolls of 35 film. Don't laugh, in 2000 I had 700+ rolls...

In 2010 with retirement looming I "sobered up" and did a very hard nosed assessment of my stocks. Faced with disposing of enough to stock a respectable secondhand camera shop, I began to quietly offload, to friends, camera club members and via Ebay, as the markets improved for various film gear. $$$ I made went into my investment fund, not new gear. At long last I went into remission...

Digital now. I resisted 'til 2012, when I retired and "shouted"(an Aussie term) myself to a new Nikon D700 and six lenses, 20 to 180. In 2013 two as new D90s came my way as gifts, friends were upgrading and found trade in prices to be totally absurd. The D700 has taken 100,000+ images already and will most likely go for another year or two. When it eventually passes, I'll get... not sure yet. The D90s are used by my partner and on occasion, me.

2017 plans will be to dispose of as much of this "backlog" as I can. Enough is enough. Some of my gear will be given away to local camera club members who will use it. I have a good offer for the two Ts but will keep the E2 as a family heirloom. When I've shot the last of my (about 100) 120 rolls, the GA645s will be listed on Ebay.

Film is wonderful, but for me digital is the way now.

All the above is rather a depressing read to me. If only I had bought more wisely, and saved the $$$ I otherwise threw into all this gear. But I've enjoyed using most of it, and hindsight is always 20:20, and I have enough saved plus two pensions to see me thru to my next (likely camera-less) avatar, so...

Looking back at all this, I would say only this. Buy the best gear you can afford, even if you have to finance it. Limit yourself to those lenses you most often use (in my case, 28 and 85/90). Shoot rather than collect.

In my 50+years of active shooting, I have yet to meet a dedicated gearhead whose images rated a second look... oh, except mine, of course!

Old 01-14-2017   #51
p.giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoose View Post
In my 50+years of active shooting, I have yet to meet a dedicated gearhead whose images rated a second look... oh, except mine, of course!
I am pretty sure that people in this online community will be very interested in seeing the pictures taken by you - me included.

Old 01-14-2017   #52
SayCheese

2016 saw my kit changing from an M body + 35mm to M + 28mm + 50mm. The 35mm is still on the shelf and will likely never be sold (CV 35mm f/2.5).
Also, I temporarily changed from TriX to TMax400 and then back to TriX and HC110. I do have a digital kit, which is used for scanning negs and the odd strobe lit portrait for friends&family.
Regards, K

Old 01-15-2017   #53
p.giannakis

It looks like this:

Old 01-16-2017   #54
ozmoose

Bill Ckark (#41), you must be a Sagittarian. Your comment summed up my thoughts far better than I expressed them...

I am also too often guilty of rabbiting on too much and wandering off-topic.

As a true-blue Sagittarian, I have had a lifelong conviction that all my images are absolutely perfect.

The following definition, obviously from someone who knows us well, sums me up to a fine T:

"Sagittarius, the ninth sign of the zodiac, is the home of the wanderers of the zodiac. It's not a mindless ramble for these folks, either. Sagittarians are truth-seekers, and the best way for them to do this is to hit the road, talk to others and get some answers."

p.giannakis (#53), many thanks for a most diplomatic comment - surely you are not a Sag! And yes, one day soon I will most definitely put some of my images where my big mouth often is... on this site.

Last edited by ozmoose : 01-16-2017 at 06:49. Reason: clarifiying points in my earlier post

Old 01-16-2017   #55
FrankS

I have a bit of a collection so here's my digital and RF kit.
A Fuji XQ1 P+S is in my pocket always.

Fuji XE2, XM1, Fuji 27 and 16-50 lenses, M and ltm adaptors

M2, CL, CLE, llla, Hexar RF
Leitz: Summicron 50 collapsible and rigid versions, Elmar 50f3.5, Elmar 90, Hector 135
Canon: 28f3.5 chrome and black versions, 35f2, 50f1.8
CV: 21f4, 40f1.4

In medium format and in SLR's I have several brands and models. I'll grab whatever strikes my fancy or whichever camera has film already loaded. I just got that second Nikon F4 so I put film in it and went out with it and 20/28/50/100mm lenses in the Domke satchel bag.

photography makes me happy

Old 01-20-2017   #56
Big Ursus

Like mpaniagua, "To me, a kit is something I grab most often than not."

So right now, mine's a Fuji X-t2, with the Fuji 18 to 55 mm attached. I also carry an f2 / 35 mm, but rarely use it. I always carry the wee flash that came with the body - it can be very handy.

Old 01-22-2017   #57
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I move things around as needed depending on what I'm after.

I'm also trying to calm things down a bit and I've been largely successful in that endeavor. I could pare down further but I don't really NEED to now which makes me happy.

I'll probably let go of a couple things here and there but I'm pretty well set.

M-A | M240 | F | FM3A | GR

Instagram. | Website.