Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 1 Week Ago   #41
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentode View Post
g buying used, I've bought from all the NY shops at one time or another. The only bad used experiences I ever had were with B&H and the long-defunct Wall Street Camera.
The treasures I bought at Wall Street Camera were simply unbelievable.

Probably the the most amazing purchase was a black paint Nikon SP with a motor drive, which was almost like new.

There were other New York stores which came close, but nothing ever rivaled WSC for rare equipment. The only caveat, you had get to know them, bargains do not come easy.

Old 1 Week Ago   #42
benlees

I once had a problem with Adorama, but it ended showing me something important. Years ago I bought a Rolleicord iv off their ebay site. Not as described, to say the least! Front taking lens had scratches, body was beat up. I was pissed! Anyway, they took care of it. I put a roll through the camera before I sent it back. I made a wet print, 4x6 crop of what would have been 22" across. Couldn't tell the difference between it and a similar print from a much "better" camera. Horses for courses, but an eye opener nonetheless. Thank you Adorama! Saved me a lot of money.

Old 1 Week Ago   #43
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelated View Post
I've bought stuff from them a few times with no problems.
I''ve bought misc. odds and ends, nothing big, from them over the years and I can't think of a problem. I usually buy from B&H, only reason is that they keep sending me those huge paper catalogs which I keep in the reading rack in the, uh "library" {blush} and skim them when I'm in there, uh, meditating. I also buy some from a local shop when they have what I need.

Old 1 Week Ago   #44
lovely_sausages

I would probably start buying from Adorama if they offered free shipping on orders over $99USD like B&H does.

Old 1 Week Ago   #45
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely_sausages View Post
I would probably start buying from Adorama if they offered free shipping on orders over $99USD like B&H does.
Have you seen this: https://www.adorama.com/g/VIP360-NEW

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #46
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
Is that just for Americans?

Old 1 Week Ago   #47
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
Is that just for Americans?
I'm sorry, but yes: Membership to the VIP360 Program is limited to individuals only and is limited to one account per individual. You must be age 18 years or older and a legal resident of the United States to be eligible.

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

They charge tax when shipping to NJ
Old 1 Week Ago   #48
Alm3000

They charge tax when shipping to NJ

The first and last time I attempted to purchase from them was in 2004. They had a better initial price on a lens I was interested. Then, when they told me shipping costs and tax, I cancelled. Apparently they have a warehouse in NJ. Went to B+H Instead, with free shipping and zero tax to NJ. I have been buying from them until recently. Their pricing, service, and overall experience has suffered in recent years...IMO. Now I use a small local shop that gives me great prices.

Old 1 Week Ago   #49
Nyc Dito

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmtwit View Post
Personally I can't think of any good experiences I've had with Adorama, but since they still seem to be in business, they have to have some folks who buy from them.

So, do you have any good experiences using Adorama?
If so, cheer me up.
i have been to both Adorama and BH since maybe 2001-2002. I was a frequent visitor to BH. Every weekend straight to the Nikon section or used department. Then the changes started happening and i had 2-3 bad experiences with their sales staff. I actually felt offended by one, and that was the last straw. They went through the whole update and remodel and i decided to try Adorama.

Adorama was where BH left off for me. Knowledgeable and somewhat friendly staff. Then they decided they needed to change. Once again i saw the little i asked for with help, as a consumer, go bye bye. Now, thats not to say i actually had a BAD experience with anyone there, its just to say..i cant really pin point ANY experience. I just go in, grab my number, place my order, pay and leave.

**edit**
Actually, i remember a guy named Abe that was very helpful with me in Adorama. Kind and customer friendly. Not sure if hes the same or still around.

Also, Helen (i see she commented here too). You have helped me in the past when things came up, so i must say that because of your efforts, it has kept my opinion of Adorama in good standing. I still go to the store every so often and i am a AdoramaPix user as well. I have ordered many albums and had an issue once.

Last edited by Nyc Dito : 1 Week Ago at 13:52. Reason: remembered a good reason

Old 1 Week Ago   #50
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post

Adorama was where BH left off for me. Knowledgeable and somewhat friendly staff. Then they decided they needed to change. Once again i saw the little i asked for with help, as a consumer, go bye bye. Now, thats not to say i actually had a BAD experience with anyone there, its just to say..i cant really pin point ANY experience. I just go in, grab my number, place my order, pay and leave.
As a store, we are no use if we aren't meeting our customers' needs! Your feedback is valued - and valuable.

Would you have time for a quick call with our Store Director? If you would, please email me: [email protected] with your number, and the best times/days to catch you.

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Old 2 Days Ago   #51
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
I circumvent the "improvements." I call the sales people I know.

There are guys at Adorama I have been buying from since they were at other stores, guys I trust because I have a history with them. They know my name, I know theirs, and in some cases know their wives and children. They know my photography friends.

One can choose in NYC between the big box stores like B&H and Best Buy, or the smaller stores like Adorama, where real personal relationships are still possible.

Everyone makes mistakes, but it is how they are solved that matters to me.

Old 2 Days Ago   #52
ColSebastianMoran

Good experiences here with all the majors: Adorama, B and H, and Amazon.

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's
Giveaway: Voigtlander Vitoret, Point-N-Shoots
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 2 Days Ago   #53
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
Everyone makes mistakes, but it is how they are solved that matters to me.
+1!!!

B2 (;->

Old 1 Day Ago   #54
Dogman

I've used them occasionally but B&H has been the "go to" online source for me--along with Amazon in recent years. Mostly KEH for used equipment. But two or three years ago, after much shopping around, I ordered a used camera body from them, got confirmation of the order and then...nothing. For a couple of weeks. I contacted them and got an email that the camera was out of stock and back ordered and would be shipped as soon as it returned to stock. Back ordered? For a used camera no longer in production? It sorta hacked me off that they left me hanging for so long especially after I had been looking for this particular camera for quite a while. I eventually found another at KEH. I'm a little wary of Adorama after that experience.

Old 1 Day Ago   #55
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmtwit View Post
Personally I can't think of any good experiences I've had with Adorama, but since they still seem to be in business, they have to have some folks who buy from them.

So, do you have any good experiences using Adorama?
If so, cheer me up.
I don't seem to have heard back from you; please email me: [email protected] so I can look into what went wrong.

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Old 6 Hours Ago   #56
LChanyungco

About a year and half ago I drove into NYC from the suburbs (Rockland) where i'm from and tried to buy what Adorama advertised as a used E46 Summilux 50mm... When the salesperson came back with the lens it wasn't the lens they advertised. A waste of time, gas, and money.

On the upside, their greeters are always very friendly :-)

Old 4 Hours Ago   #57
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LChanyungco View Post
About a year and half ago I drove into NYC from the suburbs (Rockland) where i'm from and tried to buy what Adorama advertised as a used E46 Summilux 50mm... When the salesperson came back with the lens it wasn't the lens they advertised. A waste of time, gas, and money.

The used department is no longer totally at the store, but has moved off-site, primarily for eBay. So it can hit and miss. Important to call.

Old 2 Hours Ago   #58
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LChanyungco View Post

I was so very sorry to read that the item you wished to purchase from the used department had been described incorrectly on the website, and apologise that you had a wasted journey.

Unfortunately, with the amount of time that has elapsed, I think it unlikely that I would be unable to identify whether this was down to a technician not taking sufficient care when assessing this item, or the person who will have been responsible for uploading the details to the website.

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adorama.com