Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Nikon camera rubber cover panel pealing off....Glue recommendation?
Old 01-08-2017   #1
haring

Nikon camera rubber cover panel pealing off....Glue recommendation?

My Nikon dslr camera rubber cover panel is pealing off.... It happened to me the same with my old Nikon. It seems to be a permanent problem with Nikon cameras. Do you have any glue recommendation? The glue needs to be flexible enough and keep the rubber panel on the metal housing of the camera....
Thanks so much!

Old 01-08-2017   #2
YouAreHere

Rubber cement?

Old 01-08-2017   #3
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Double face vinyl tape -- no modern Nikons use contact cement.

Old 01-08-2017   #4
Larry Cloetta

Pliobond, available most hardware stores. I have used it for that exact purpose. Keeps those materials in place without hardening so you can peel back coverings later if need be, years later in my experience. Something of a better rubber cement. I've also found it to be the perfect long term fix for slipped SLR mirrors.

Old 01-08-2017   #5
Fraser

Is it the cover for the memory card?
Same thing happened my d700 no matter how many times I stuck it it kept lifting ended up buying a new piece on eBay for only a few pounds, I think the rubber on Nikon cameras actually stretches as it used.

Old 01-08-2017   #6
Larry H-L

Another vote for Pliobond, it works really well if you follow the directions.

FYI, it smells terrible until it dries.

Old 01-08-2017   #7
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Pliobond, available most hardware stores. I have used it for that exact purpose. Keeps those materials in place without hardening so you can peel back coverings later if need be, years later in my experience. Something of a better rubber cement. I've also found it to be the perfect long term fix for slipped SLR mirrors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H-L View Post
Another vote for Pliobond, it works really well if you follow the directions.

FYI, it smells terrible until it dries.
Nikon apparently used Pliobond OEM, and recommended it for the Nikon S and Nikon F, in their repair manuals.

But as far as I know they have been using transfer-tape type adhesives since then.

Old 01-08-2017   #8
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

When I worked in camera repair at Olympus I serviced the OM-PC (aka OM-40) SLR body.
In manufacture the rubber body covers were affixed to the metal body with double-sided tape.
When serviced we glued them back on with an adhesive exactly like Pliobond.

Chris

Old 01-09-2017   #9
Dwig

Whatever adhesive you use, you need to completely remove all traces of the old adhesive from both the body and the covering material.

Personally, for the small jobs I've done, I've always used a good fresh contact cement like Pliobond, never rubber cement.

Old 01-09-2017   #10
Brooklynguy

Get some 3M 300 LSE tape (available on the 'bay). It's used for sticking rubber grips onto camera bodies, etc. Alternatively, same tape is used by cell phone repairers to stick on smartphone glass screens (got a roll at Microcenter). Make sure to clean both the rubber and the body with rubbing alcohol (and I use Fantastik on a paper towel first) to remove any oils and residues. I would not use glue, as the grips are removed for service.

The other option is to get a genuine replacement rubber grip from Nikon itself--go on their website and the price is actually quite reasonable. The replacements come with sticky tape already installed--just peel and install (after prepping). I would go for the genuine stuff, as non OEM grips on the 'bay were absolutely garbage when I did a D300s a few months back (nothing fit right, very poor quality, even the sticky tape didn't work). The new rubber grips from Nikon made my very used D300s look quite good again.