Leica 24mm flare, comparison
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
xixi_gelly

Leica 24mm flare, comparison

Hello, I'm in the market for a 24mm Elmarit or Elmar as a WA to swap out my 21/2.8, which I had only because a friend offered it to me on very generous terms.

A question for those who have used the 24mm lenses, how would you rate the flare control between the 2.8 and the new 3.8? I read the newer 3.8 has much better flare suppresion than the 2.8 and am wondering if it's _significantly_ better? Or marginally? Or is the 2.8's flare perfectly manageable?

Because I work in news and often in difficult lighting, flare resistance is probably my top criteria, followed by speed, hence the dilemma. Sharpness of either I'm sure is more than adequate.

Would greatly appreciate the RFF hive mind's advice, recommendations and experiences with the 24mm FL. Warm regards.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

If you need speed as well as flare resistance, you would end up with a Summilux 24, which meets both criteria.

jaapvphotography

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
dreamsandart

+1

The 24 Summilux is an amazing lens

I bought the Elmarit when it first came out, a big fan of the 24 with the r-series. The Elmarit-M is optically a better lens, but for some reasons never really enjoyed using it. With the 24 Summilux I can say it's just about perfect in every way. Large size, but handles on the camera very well, optically I don't see how it could be improved on, built quality is one of Leica's best, and speed and wide is special. It is a lens without compromise.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Richard G

ZM 25 Biogon 2.8: sharp and flare resistant. Slightly cheaper than the Summilux.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsandart View Post
+1

The 24 Summilux is an amazing lens

I bought the Elmarit when it first came out, a big fan of the 24 with the r-series. The Elmarit-M is optically a better lens, but for some reasons never really enjoyed using it. With the 24 Summilux I can say it's just about perfect in every way. Large size, but handles on the camera very well, optically I don't see how it could be improved on, built quality is one of Leica's best, and speed and wide is special. It is a lens without compromise.
It is my all-time favorite wideangle. Mine shows heavy signs of use

jaapvphotography

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
xixi_gelly

Thanks folks. All the evidence I've seen suggests the 24 lux is the superlative lens in almost every way. Unfortunately it's beyond my budget.

Do any owners have experience/complaints about the Elmarit? Would I be correct assuming that it renders similarly to the (familiar to me) 35/2 ASPH introduced in that same late 90s era and has roughly the same qualities?

Yes Richard, I should consider the 25mm Biogon as well, although I do prefer tabbed lenses.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
dreamsandart

Please excuse my enthusiasm for the [yes, not cheap] 24 Summilux. It's just hard to think back once you’ve experienced that lens. I myself wanted one, couldn’t afford it, finally did the deed, and its every bit as good as I’d hoped for, and more. Worth the investment, if you are thinking of a 24mm as a major part of your equipment. To me, it's much more than just a 24mm focal length, and it's really fun!

The Elmarit-M is very well made, solid quality feel with smooth focus action and well-defined full and half stops, sharp with high contrast from the get go (optimal at f4, or less for closer focus, no floating elements here), not a large lens, but not compact either. good modern lens coatings suppress any major flare issues, but it does have a large curved front element and a strong light source in the frame or just outside can produce some ‘controlled’ flare on occasion.

Your comparison to the 35 Summicron ASPH would be accurate I feel. Both have a ‘modern’ high contrast look. And yes, a finger focus tab so it handles similarly.

For me, the Elmar is just too slow. If you are going to be mostly using it in daylight or with a high ISO capable camera the compactness is attractive. Also, the Elmar has a bit more narrow actual view than the other two Leica 24 lenses, maybe more 25mm if that matters.

Happy hunting!