Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X News / General Discussion

Fuji shooters, grab Iridient X-Transformer now!
Old 01-06-2017   #1
taemo

Fuji shooters, grab Iridient X-Transformer now!

Found out about this on FredMiranda this morning.
http://www.iridientdigital.com/produ...ansformer.html
Basically you buy and install this program and convert your Fuji RAF files to DNG before importing and processing them into Lightroom or whichever photo editing program you use.
I can see a big improvement on how LR renders the converted DNG file vs RAF.

For comparison here are 2 snapshots I took of DNG(left) vs RAF(right)
DNGvsRAF by Earl Dieta, on Flickr
DNGvsRAF2 by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

Old 01-08-2017   #2
taemo

bump, here are comparisons between DNG and JPG (I tried to match the PP that Acros Y did, didnt apply any sharpness)

DNGvsJPG by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

DNGvsJPG2 by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

Old 01-08-2017   #3
krötenblender

There is currently a similar thread on a German forum and for both, there and here, I fail to see a very big difference. For your DNG vs. RAF this may be because of the small format of the images (1:1 crops of the problematic areas may help).

In the second comparison I clearly prefer the jpgs out of camera.

Old 01-08-2017   #4
taemo

All print screens I posted were 1:1 crops except the 2nd one which was a 1:2 crop
For the JPG, is it the tonality of the B&W that you prefer or the sharpness?
As for me, I definitely find the DNG versus the RAF and SOOC JPG to be sharper.

note, the JPG comparisons also weren't on the center of the image but on the side/corner.

Old 01-08-2017   #5
tom.w.bn

In you first post the snow photo looks a bit better with Iridient, more details in the snow. To me the coast photo is unusable in both version because of the blurry green trees. No Iridient can rescue this mess.

Old 01-09-2017   #6
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
... didnt apply any sharpness)
Capture sharpening's purpose is to compensate for the fact that demosaiking algorithms are not able to precisely represent a continuous phenomenon using incomplete (i.e. discrete) data. Capture sharpening is a form of spatial mathematical filtering.

So if these two demosaiking algorithms use fundamentally different mathematical models, why wouldn't their optimum sharpening parameters be different? The need for post-rendering sharpening does not necessarily mean a demosaiking algorithm is inferior, similar or superior to one that does not.

Do we know if Iridient applies some form of 'sharpening' during the DNG transformation? Data filtering is typically part of the Demosaiking process.[1].

It is difficult to rigorously compare two completely different rendering platforms. There are numerous variables that affect our perception of images rendered by different platforms. It is likely the parameters that affect these variables behave differently when the demosaiking algorithms are different.

[1]Technical Link (sharpening section starts at slide #24)

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-11-2017   #7
kai.zorki

You can turn that all off, the process is very customisable. I find that it gives slightly better results, but it is still a beta and my testing wasn't extensive, so it should improve even further.

Old 03-04-2017   #8
shawn

v3 of the beta just came out and this also includes a MacOS version. If you have a current Iridient Developer license you can get Iridient Transformer for 40% off. I just bought a copy and with the discount it is $19.11.

Already has support for x100f, XT20 and GFX 50S.

Shawn