Tsubasa Swallow 35mm f/2 lens for Leica M mount
Old 01-06-2017   #1
froyd

Tsubasa Swallow 35mm f/2 lens for Leica M mount

From Leica Rumors

http://leicarumors.com/2017/01/05/ts....aspx/#respond

Finally! It was about time somebody offer something in the 35mm focal lenght in M-mount.

I was growing really frustrated lack of choices...

Old 01-06-2017   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Very nice.

The external styling looks very vintage Angénieux.

Old 01-06-2017   #3
Corran

$1,800?!?! And for such an ugly lens, IMO of course.

What's the benefit here?

Old 01-06-2017   #4
raid
Dad Photographer

Is this lens somehow "better" than a CV 50/1.1?
$1800 is not a small amount of money.
If the price had been $800, it would be competing with CV lenses, if all lenses were equally good optically and build-wise.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-06-2017   #5
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
You could have a nice 35mm Summicron for that kind of money - and it would hold its value.
I am sure photographers said the same thing in the 1950s when the 35mm Zunow lenses were offered for sale.

Old 01-06-2017   #6
sepiareverb
Dead ringer for Mr Grinch

Whoops, the aperture ring is on backwards.

Old 01-06-2017   #7
B-9
Devin Bro

I would be more interested in the rumored Elmar-M 28/5.6

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 01-06-2017   #8
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Worth to mention, not worth of buying or even talking about it.

Old 01-06-2017   #9
mpaniagua

Sorry for the ignorance, but any background from Hawk Factory worthy of mention?

Old 01-06-2017   #10
spaceistheplace

Crazy pricing... Although I love how it looks.

Raúl C.

Old 01-06-2017   #11
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
Last one sold on eBay for $900.
Either someone got a steal of a deal or it was in rough shape.

Zunows to fit Leicas regularly sell for 4 to 5 grand.

A very collectable and sought after series of lenses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Rare-Z...-/222356836944

Old 01-06-2017   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

Yes, I have seen such Zunow lenses sell for $4k+

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-06-2017   #13
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
From Leica Rumors

http://leicarumors.com/2017/01/05/ts....aspx/#respond

Finally! It was about time somebody offer something in the 35mm focal lenght in M-mount.

I was growing really frustrated lack of choices...
You are kidding, right? How many choices do you need? Leica, Zeiss, Voightlander, and all of the various screw mount lenses from the past. Zeiss alone has three modern offerings, the Biogon f/2, Biogon f/2.8 and the Distagon f/1.4.

The new lens from Hawks is horribly overpriced. Perhaps what you meant was you needed more overpriced choices.

Old 01-06-2017   #14
Corran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Zunows to fit Leicas regularly sell for 4 to 5 grand.

A very collectable and sought after series of lenses.
In 50 years, I imagine Miyazaki's hand-made, limited production lenses will probably sell for a lot (one of the reasons I almost bought the 35/1.4, but didn't, and I regret it slightly). Generic 3rd-party lenses, not so much. Could be wrong but unless this company becomes really big and makes sought-after lenses for their signature look, I doubt it. What does this lens do that anything else doesn't, including those that are 1/4 the price?

Example images look very similar to my Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 SLR lens - lots of spherical aberrations and coma on the edges. The Nikkor is $300-400 used.

Old 01-06-2017   #15
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
In 50 years, I imagine Miyazaki's hand-made, limited production lenses will probably sell for a lot (one of the reasons I almost bought the 35/1.4, but didn't, and I regret it slightly). Generic 3rd-party lenses, not so much. Could be wrong but unless this company becomes really big and makes sought-after lenses for their signature look, I doubt it. What does this lens do that anything else doesn't, including those that are 1/4 the price?

Example images look very similar to my Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 SLR lens - lots of spherical aberrations and coma on the edges. The Nikkor is $300-400 used.
I don't think you can go wrong buying these rare NEW lenses, from a photographic point of view, on how they draw photographically speaking and from an investment point of view, mostly for your heirs, if that matters to you.

People say, "wow 1800 bucks, man that is expensive", and it is for most people, but these things were never cheap to buy even in the 1950s when adjusted for inflation and to typical 1950s wages.

I am just glad that there are people still passionate enough to devote their time, energy and money to go on creating these jewels of photographic optical marvels in our own time frame, even if I may not buy them.

Old 01-06-2017   #16
Corran

Future value aside, my point is that a 3rd-party optic made by a relatively unknown company better have a really good selling point, especially at almost $2k. Many of the big-name brands have flagship primes for that much or less, and even with a faster aperture.

The new, fast ultrawide SLR lenses for example being made by new companies are quite interesting, as there is nothing like them on the market otherwise. This has no uniqueness in specs, so again, I have to wonder what the point is. Certainly isn't performance, if the examples given are any indication. If it was a 35mm f/1 or something, okay now you have my attention, or maybe a super tiny 35mm f/2 with good performance and a budget price...but...

Old 01-06-2017   #17
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Seems to me that the strong front element curvature will make it flare-prone. I'm not sure I see why this lens is needed.

Old 01-06-2017   #18
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Future value aside, my point is that a 3rd-party optic made by a relatively unknown company better have a really good selling point, especially at almost $2k. Many of the big-name brands have flagship primes for that much or less, and even with a faster aperture.

The new, fast ultrawide SLR lenses for example being made by new companies are quite interesting, as there is nothing like them on the market otherwise. This has no uniqueness in specs, so again, I have to wonder what the point is. Certainly isn't performance, if the examples given are any indication. If it was a 35mm f/1 or something, okay now you have my attention, or maybe a super tiny 35mm f/2 with good performance and a budget price...but...
I think the special selling point of these lenses are that they are sold on the premise that they will produce an old fashion look to the photos taken with them.

It is a speciality market that has buyers apparently, as we see the J3+ and resurrected 58mm Primoplans and other new lenses that promise the photographer a less than modern perfect look to their images. They compete with used old lenses on the market that have become fashionable for their "look" in recent time.

Old 01-06-2017   #19
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
You are kidding, right? How many choices do you need? Leica, Zeiss, Voightlander, and all of the various screw mount lenses from the past. Zeiss alone has three modern offerings, the Biogon f/2, Biogon f/2.8 and the Distagon f/1.4.

The new lens from Hawks is horribly overpriced. Perhaps what you meant was you needed more overpriced choices.
Dead serious. Ihope they tackle 50s next.

Old 01-06-2017   #20
rfaspen

Personally, I'm always glad to see new lenses in M mount. And its particularly interesting when they aren't from one of "The 3" (zeiss, leica, CV). I mean, who else is offering lenses for Leica (M or LTM)? Lomo offers the J3+ and minitar, SLR Magic used to offer a 50/0.95, but I can't think of any others.

Regardless, I'm not interested in this one. I already have a Biogon f/2 and a few other 35's. Now, if it were a great performer and the size of a v4 summicron.... I might be piqued. That's something I think I'd like (the Biogon is sort of big). Then I'd have to weigh the price tag

Old 01-06-2017   #21
Doug

Interesting, especially on how the company sees its market. I have an 8-element 35mm f/2 in M mount... a version 1 Summicron that I bought new in July 1967 at retail from a camera shop in downtown Seattle... price was $163.50. To put that in perspective, it was about 1 week's pay for me as a young draftsman at Boeing.

Good luck to Tsubasa!

Old 01-07-2017   #22
james.liam

Crazy pricing aside (maybe they meant Yuan instead of USD), anyone have a clue what sort of performance one might expect from the Swallow?

Old 01-15-2017   #23
iaeaix

The price is close to a Summicron 35 V4 and higher than The price I sold my chrome ASPH. With that price, I can only imaging I would possibly consider buying it AFTER I have had all 35mm M lens I would want, and after some years I have used enough all those lens, one day I feel bored, want to try something new for fun for maybe a few day.
Of course, this was assumed I have that money to possess all the 35mm M lens I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk