Old 01-05-2017   #41
J enea

too bad we gotta wait almost a year for it.

Old 01-05-2017   #44
kiss-o-matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
I heard it cries during weddings.
LOL.

Actually I'd rather see a Provia 400x replacement. That stuff was magik.

Old 01-05-2017   #45
danielsterno
making soup from mud

OK, whats the over/under on when Kodachrome will reappear !?!

Old 01-05-2017   #46
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Earlier today I sent an email to Kodak inquiring about some 400 ISO colour slide being re-issued, and they replied that they have no plans to do so.
100 ISO and that's all.
Robert

Old 01-05-2017   #47
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsterno View Post
OK, whats the over/under on when Kodachrome will reappear !?!
It's dead Jim...

Old 01-05-2017   #48
Bill Clark

Great! Used it in the seventies. My tastes, like to underexpose one-half to one stop.

Rich colors.

Old 01-05-2017   #49
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsinto View Post
Earlier today I sent an email to Kodak inquiring about some 400 ISO colour slide being re-issued, and they replied that they have no plans to do so.
100 ISO and that's all.
Robert
The closest thing they had was E200 which was pushable to 800 but didn't have the pizzazz of Provia 400X (more advanced product). Fuji's 400X could very well have been the best and most advanced E6 product. An occasional run of it and Astia would be nice.

But have E100 back is excellent news. Hope 120 is introduced a while after s8 & 35mm.

Old 01-05-2017   #50
telenous

Over the moon with the news here. I've been shooting expired Ektachrome and Elitechrome 100 ever since they gave them the chop. Never once did I hope for a comeback. What news. My guess, however, is that they will charge more than what they asked last time around. Something similar to what Fuji charges these days for Provia 100.

flickr

"We stopped a bit further down from Amchit and looked at the sun sinking in the quiet Sea of Phoenix. Yet, why is it that sometimes one sees things clearly -- I mean to say, as when the camera is appropriately set." George Seferis

Old 01-05-2017   #51
Richard G

I preserved on E100G quite a few buildings in Christchurch now lost. What times: the Zeiss Ikon and those wonderful Zeiss lenses; the M9; and now this.

Old 01-05-2017   #52
GarageBoy

Wooo
I'm still trying to see what I should shoot on my Provia 400x- can't wait to have both this and ferrania

Old 01-05-2017   #53
zuiko85

Good news, and I don't even shoot slides. just nice to see a popular film return amid all the announcements of discontinued film.

Old 01-05-2017   #54
x-ray

This is excellent. The color depth of properly exposed and processed transparency film is unsurpassed. If there's a demand I'm guessing they'll offer G and VS. Hopefully it'll come back in 120 and sheet sizes.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Fujichrome. I've shot tons of both Kodak and Fuji. they're both different which is good and both excellent products. I Have few rolls of 120 GX that I've been saving for the right subject so let's hope we see at least 120 also.

Now we have to get some good E6 labs going again. My favorite, E6 of Atlanta, closed a couple of years ago. MY local dealer has a Hostert dip and dunk they still run when they get enough film so perhaps E6 film is making a comeback.

Old 01-05-2017   #55
Huss

I still have lots of it in my freezer 35 and 120. Studio 3 Inc in Portland sent me their left over stock. Nice peeps.

Nikon F6, Summilux 50 1.4, E100

Old 01-05-2017   #56
ornate_wrasse

This makes me very happy! I used to use this film (though in the VS variety and not G) for underwater shooting in my Nikonos V due to the great saturation for brightly colored underwater subjects.

I hope they bring back VS, too, but I'll be happy with G.

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8

Old 01-05-2017   #57
CMur12

I'm a slide shooter from way back, and my mainstays have been films in the 50 - 100 ISO range, for both 35mm and 120, for over forty years. I still have some Ektachrome in the freezer.

For the occasional need of a high speed film, I loved and sorely miss the Agfachrome 1000 that Roger Hicks referenced.

- Murray

Old 01-05-2017   #58
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluYote View Post
Yeah, Fuji's Velvia prices are getting crazy (12+ dollars a roll) hopefully some competition will help. I would pay $9.99 a roll for Ektachrome 36 exposure rolls.
This is great, I hope you right about the price.

EDIT: I love going on vacation and blasting through a roll of 36.

Old 01-05-2017   #59
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I checked the calendar; it's not April 1st...

Chris

Old 01-05-2017   #60
fdarnell

Cool

This is great news! I will purchase some when it comes out. 100G or whatever variety they will make.

Perhaps this is part of the new "Made in U.S.A." drive we are experiencing?

or perhaps another "Win"? I could get used to that. Now for Plus-X

Old 01-05-2017   #61
ray*j*gun

Just great to see this. I love 120 chromes and will hope that Kodak will see fit to issue it soon after 35. So excited about this!!

Old 01-05-2017   #62
SaveKodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel154 View Post
m4 and slide film i admire your skill it took me a few years to figure out the center weighted /big spot metering of a leica, specialy now i got used to Portra that likes to be over-exposed and is very forgiving it will be fun to work with slide film again get somme discipline back
I went with the M4 over an M6 actually (my 2nd choice) because it forced me to use an external meter. I usually carry a Sekonic 308 with my M4, but I also have a couple spot metered Sekonics. I find that I do a better job and take my time if I'm using a handheld. Just works for me.

Old 01-05-2017   #63
SaveKodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-metro View Post
One year ago they announced this;

one year+ later, Nothing!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...val-new-camera
read the comments

my 'gut feeling' (from Russian ambassador shooting thread) thinks this is another fake staged news in 2017 Vegas CES...It's Vegas...fogetabout it

If, the new Ekta 100 appears at B H Christmas sale 2017, I'd say it'll be $19.99 per 135-36 roll, good price for hipsters
Actually Kodak stated that they received a huge amount of interest in their Super 8 camera and realized they need to make multiple cameras to satisfy different user's needs. The first, high end model is expected in May of this year. They're building a Super 8 camera from the ground up. This takes time. In addition to this, they're developing a network of labs and lab services that includes scanning. This has taken them a little longer than when they announced, but products get delayed all the time *Hasselblad X1D*.

Distilling film shooting down to "hipsters" is about as old as the word "hipster". I LIVE in Williamsburg Brooklyn and I haven't seen a "hipster" in years. But to use another dated term, I do know a "square" when I hear one. ;-)

Old 01-05-2017   #64
sara

Shed a tear or two when I found out.

THERE IS HOPE.

Old 01-05-2017   #65
sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post

Chris
Omg did the exact same thing.
I was half-asleep but kept thinking "wait, is this a joke/it's not April fools" etc

Old 01-05-2017   #66
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post

Now we have to get some good E6 labs going again. My favorite, E6 of Atlanta, closed a couple of years ago. MY local dealer has a Hostert dip and dunk they still run when they get enough film so perhaps E6 film is making a comeback.
Check out The Darkroom.

https://thedarkroom.com/

Old 01-05-2017   #67
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

I wonder where this leaves Ferrania... I think they may have blew it with their delays.

Old 01-05-2017   #68
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post

Chris
Just in time for my next vacation.

Old 01-05-2017   #69
giganova

Great news, assuming that the price won't be too high.

On a more depressing note, I just saw that B&H has increased the prices on HP-5 by 50 Cents... again!

Old 01-05-2017   #70
charjohncarter

Please 120;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Old 01-05-2017   #71
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Please 120;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
+1!

- Murray

Old 01-05-2017   #72
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-metro View Post
One year ago they announced this;

one year+ later, Nothing!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...val-new-camera
read the comments

my 'gut feeling' (from Russian ambassador shooting thread) thinks this is another fake staged news in 2017 Vegas CES...It's Vegas...fogetabout it

If, the new Ekta 100 appears at B H Christmas sale 2017, I'd say it'll be $19.99 per 135-36 roll, good price for hipsters
In every thread, there's always one...

Old 01-05-2017   #73
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
I wonder where this leaves Ferrania... I think they may have blew it with their delays.
Ferrania are looking to provide across formats, yes a niche of a niche, but they are so small they can be very flexible and do runs that would never be economic for EK.

BTW All those looking for the "old" film to re-emerge are going to be either thrilled with the "improvements" or bitterly disappointed it isn't what it was:

Over the next 12 months, Kodak will be working to reformulate and manufacture KODAK EKTACHROME Film for both motion picture and still photography applications.

So talk of "bringing back a classic" means the name.
Not being a half empty person I look for improvements, it previously tended to disappoint me but then I was a Kodachrome shooter and that bar is hard to reach.

https://www.instagram.com/chris.livsey/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 01-06-2017   #74
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
Ferrania are looking to provide across formats, yes a niche of a niche, but they are so small they can be very flexible and do runs that would never be economic for EK.

BTW All those looking for the "old" film to re-emerge are going to be either thrilled with the "improvements" or bitterly disappointed it isn't what it was:

Over the next 12 months, Kodak will be working to reformulate and manufacture KODAK EKTACHROME Film for both motion picture and still photography applications.

Not being a half empty person I look for improvements, it previously tended to disappoint me but then I was a Kodachrome shooter and that bar is hard to reach.
Chris, I'm keen to see what you can do with a roll of the new Ektachrome and that Alpa reflex and Kern Switar lens of yours. If anything could make the film shine, that would be it.
Cheers
Brett

Old 01-06-2017   #75
telenous

Quote:

Good observation. I wonder how many people who worked in the original Ektachrome line and who knew about the magic juju that went into the making of it can be brought back for this run. Also, where are they going to manufacture the film?

flickr

"We stopped a bit further down from Amchit and looked at the sun sinking in the quiet Sea of Phoenix. Yet, why is it that sometimes one sees things clearly -- I mean to say, as when the camera is appropriately set." George Seferis

Old 01-06-2017   #76
brbo

Quote:

Since the provisional branding is "E100" and not E100G, E100VS, EliteChrome or EliteChrome ExtraColor I suppose it's safe to assume the new film will only be offered in one version and it will either be any of the "old" films or something close to any of the old films (something between G and VS or EC and EC extra?).

I don't think they are creating an EktaVelvia 100.

Old 01-06-2017   #77
k__43
Registered Film User

oh my .. the innards of my freezer just lost some value

as for which formula: I don't care - I love them all, as long as it isn't Elitechrome Extra Color. That one I didn't care about

Old 01-06-2017   #78
Fraser

I would still rather they brought back kodachrome
Maybe this will be the start of something and fuji will bring back Neopan 400.

Old 01-06-2017   #79
Samuel D

While we’re reminiscing, I have to say I miss the wonderful E200 more than Kodak’s ISO 100 E-6 products.

Still, this news is so good I can hardly believe it. If Kodak is setting up production for a product (and entire product class) they abandoned in 2012, they must have a very high confidence in the viability of the market.

Old 01-06-2017   #80
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Chris, I'm keen to see what you can do with a roll of the new Ektachrome and that Alpa reflex and Kern Switar lens of yours. If anything could make the film shine, that would be it.
Cheers
Brett

It was magic with Kodachrome, I have boxes full looking just as good as the day they were retuned in those wonderful boxes, of which I have several varieties.
Has Portra made me too lazy for E6 though?
And where are all those colour correction filters?
Still have the Leica projector and screen though.

https://www.instagram.com/chris.livsey/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/