Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

A Summitar (6-blade) 50/2 or a Canon 50/1.4/1.8 ?
Old 01-01-2017   #1
kb244

A Summitar (6-blade) 50/2 or a Canon 50/1.4/1.8 ?

Seeing as the price might be about the same (~ 250-ish), would you go with a Canon 50/1.4 (or 1.8) that's got a bit of dust inside but no fungus/haze/etc, or a Summitar 50/2 (the newer 6 bladed version) with a stiff-ish aperture ring and engraved? (to go on a Canon 7)

I used to have a 50/1.8 on my P that I liked, but not sure of the optical quality of either the black-barreled Canon lens or the Summitar.

Old 01-01-2017   #2
02Pilot
Malcontent

First the objective technical, then the subjective personal, assessments.

The Canon 50/1.4 is very capable and probably the best objectively overall. The later black barrel 50/1.8 is known to suffer hazing problems that may result in permanently etched glass - make sure you're getting one that hasn't suffered this fate, or get the earlier chrome design. Filters are oddly sized (40 and 48mm). The 50/1.4 is rather large on a lot of LTM bodies, but perhaps not surprisingly balances pretty well on the large late Canons.

The Summitar is a little softer wide open than the Canons, and probably has a little more distortion (I don't particularly care about minor distortion, so I haven't paid much attention on this point). The OOF areas may be slightly less pleasant with the 6-blade aperture, most notably in points of light, which will exhibit a clear hexagonal shape; there are no click-stops. It uses an oddball filter arrangement, but this can be dealt with by use of an adapter. Note that the Summitar likely will not collapse into the Canon body due to the position of the light baffles.

Subjectively, I find the Summitar a lens with great character, while the Canons are technically better but a bit less interesting to me. I am willing to accept the faults of the Summitar (clickless aperture, fragility of the glass, optical limitations at large openings) because I love the way it renders, especially around f/4. I use mine on Barnacks primarily, so I am able to collapse it.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 01-01-2017   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

The Canon 50/1.4 can compete well with a Summilux.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-01-2017   #4
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
First the objective technical, then the subjective personal, assessments.

The Canon 50/1.4 is very capable and probably the best objectively overall. The later black barrel 50/1.8 is known to suffer hazing problems that may result in permanently etched glass - make sure you're getting one that hasn't suffered this fate, or get the earlier chrome design. Filters are oddly sized (40 and 48mm). The 50/1.4 is rather large on a lot of LTM bodies, but perhaps not surprisingly balances pretty well on the large late Canons.

The Summitar is a little softer wide open than the Canons, and probably has a little more distortion (I don't particularly care about minor distortion, so I haven't paid much attention on this point). The OOF areas may be slightly less pleasant with the 6-blade aperture, most notably in points of light, which will exhibit a clear hexagonal shape; there are no click-stops. It uses an oddball filter arrangement, but this can be dealt with by use of an adapter. Note that the Summitar likely will not collapse into the Canon body due to the position of the light baffles.

Subjectively, I find the Summitar a lens with great character, while the Canons are technically better but a bit less interesting to me. I am willing to accept the faults of the Summitar (clickless aperture, fragility of the glass, optical limitations at large openings) because I love the way it renders, especially around f/4. I use mine on Barnacks primarily, so I am able to collapse it.
Over on Apug, Frank mentioned the same kind of 'character' in regards to the Summitar he had (which was an older 10-blade aperture). He also concurred that the Canon 50/1.4 as large as it is would be more 'balanced' on something the size of the Canon 7.

In regards to soft edging, I already get that with my Canon Serenar 35mm f/2.8 Mk1 which wide open is still tack sharp in the center, but more or less distorted/soft at the edges which sharpen up by f/5.6.

Clickless apertures I find can be desirable if I throw the lens onto an LTM/M43 adapter and use it for video on a mirrorless. Though the Summitar that may be coming up for sale shortly has as he described "the aperture ring is pretty stiff, usable but stiff", and it's mainly priced low because the previous owner scrawled their initials onto the barrel.

Far as the Canon's go, I'm seeing a good number of them (though mostly from Japan, would rather buy domestically if I can, as I usually only buy new from Japan, particularly fountain pens, unless it's a 1960s/70s elite which I can clean up myself). But most including the later black barreled ones mention being hazy, or in the picture it seems more like fungus than it is haze (based on the patterning, unless perhaps oil got off the blade and onto the element).

Old 01-01-2017   #5
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
The Canon 50/1.4 can compete well with a Summilux.
The difference between a Summilux and a Summitar?

Old 01-01-2017   #6
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

The Summitar produces photos with more old fashion character and with superb bokeh in a lot of cases. The two Canon lenses are great too and produce a very modern look in photos, even by today's standard.

It all depends on what results you are looking for, ideally it would be nice to own all three 50mm lenses.

Old 01-01-2017   #7
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
The Summitar produces photos with more old fashion character and with superb bokeh in a lot of cases. The two Canon lenses are great too and produce a very modern look in photos, even by today's standard.

It all depends on what results you are looking for, ideally it would be nice to own all three 50mm lenses.
Is this true of the 6-bladed Summitar? (and not strictly the older 10-blade)

Ideally if the center is sharp (wide open) and the bokeh looks smooth then the edging doesn't impact me as much since I have plenty of other cameras/lens if I need edge-to-edge modernistic clarity.

And mainly looking for f/2 or faster, but I don't really want to spend over 200-250 for a 50mm, least I just use the Industar-61L/D 55/2.8 or Industar-10 50/3.5 I already have.

If I wanted crisp contrast modern look I'd try to aim for a voightlander.

Old 01-01-2017   #8
FrankS

You could also try a Jupiter 8.

photography makes me happy

Old 01-01-2017   #9
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
You could also try a Jupiter 8.
Kind of hit-or-miss aren't they? especially with the aperture shape.

Old 01-01-2017   #10
kb244

Why was this moved to a canon-specific forum when it also asks about a Leica branded model?

Old 01-01-2017   #11
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
Is this true of the 6-bladed Summitar? (and not strictly the older 10-blade)

Ideally if the center is sharp (wide open) and the bokeh looks smooth then the edging doesn't impact me as much since I have plenty of other cameras/lens if I need edge-to-edge modernistic clarity.

And mainly looking for f/2 or faster, but I don't really want to spend over 200-250 for a 50mm, least I just use the Industar-61L/D 55/2.8 or Industar-10 50/3.5 I already have.

If I wanted crisp contrast modern look I'd try to aim for a voightlander.
I own the hex shaped aperture opening Summitar lens and it still does produce that great 3D bokeh at medium opening to full bore, same as the round aperture Summitar lens that I owned in the 1970s.

Remember, at full bore, the aperture blade configuration is of no significance.

That round aperture opening lens came on a Leica IIIc that I bought and I got rid of that lens because the front element was too scratched up for my liking, nowadays it would be valued for the extra Leica glow it will produce.

Old 01-01-2017   #12
kb244

Just remembered one I used to have for my Canon P, a Chiyoko 50mm f/2

Quote:
I own the hex shaped aperture opening Summitar lens and it still does produce that great 3D bokeh at medium opening to full bore, same as the round aperture Summitar lens that I owned in the 1970s.

Remember, at full bore, the aperture blade configuration is of no significance.

That round aperture opening lens came on a Leica IIIc that I bought and I got rid of that lens because the front element was too scratched up for my liking, nowadays it would be valued for the extra Leica glow it will produce.

Good point about bokeh at wide open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hurryup.jpg (31.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg uncertain-4x6.jpg (32.8 KB, 126 views)

Old 01-01-2017   #13
Daryl J.

Stiff Summitar aperture adjustment rings seem to be a complaint. Mine's is borderline functional because of it.

Fixable with a CLA?

This thread is of interest to me as I'm tossing about the idea of a fast Planar lens. As in LTM, not M mount.

Old 01-01-2017   #14
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
Stiff Summitar aperture adjustment rings seem to be a complaint. Mine's is borderline functional because of it.

Fixable with a CLA?

This thread is of interest to me as I'm tossing about the idea of a fast Planar lens. As in LTM, not M mount.
I'm curious about that as well.
I'm guessing if that's common then it will only get stiffer as it ages.

Old 01-01-2017   #15
Daryl J.

My copy is from 1946-47 and has very little indication of much use. But that aperture ring.........

Old 01-01-2017   #16
kb244

Quote:
My copy is from 1946-47 and has very little indication of much use. But that aperture ring.........
He might be able to address it if the price is justifiable to you (but then it would be a fully CLA'd lens)

http://www.yyecamera.com/price_lens.html

Old 01-01-2017   #17
xayraa33

Quote:
Kind of hit-or-miss aren't they? especially with the aperture shape.
Frank's suggestion has real merit if you are patient and are willing to go through a few J-8 lenses till you chance upon a gem of a specimen.

Many would argue it is not worth spending their time and money on. Plus LTM J-8s are not five to 25 dollars a pop anymore, they have a point too here.

The best J-8s are the equal of the Nikkor 5cm f2 in optical rendering on photographs, (but never equal to the Nikkor in build quality.. with the exception of the aperture blade reliability from my experience. )

Old 01-01-2017   #18
VictorM.

Here's an ancient post dealing with lubricating the Summitar aperture selection ring: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...26&postcount=6

Old 01-01-2017   #19
kb244

Quote:
Frank's suggestion has real merit if you are patient and are willing to go through a few J-8 lenses till you chance upon a gem of a specimen.

Many would argue it is not worth spending their time and money on. Plus LTM J-8s are not five to 25 dollars a pop anymore, they have a point too here.

The best J-8s are the equal of the Nikkor 5cm f2 in optical rendering on photographs, (but never equal to the Nikkor in build quality.. with the exception of the aperture blade reliability from my experience. )

It's because they're not $25 a pop anymore that I'm skeptical of. I've have/had a few Jupiters, the J-11 being my favorite telephoto , and used to have a J-12. But they were almost always 100. The J-8s aren't, so kind of expensive to go thru a few to find the gem.

Old 01-01-2017   #20
xayraa33

Quote:
It's because they're not $25 a pop anymore that I'm skeptical of. I've have/had a few Jupiters, the J-11 being my favorite telephoto , and used to have a J-12. But they were almost always 100. The J-8s aren't, so kind of expensive to go thru a few to find the gem.
The J-8s in LTM have been creeping up in price in these last few years.

Forums like ours don't help keeps prices stable or low, look at what the original J-3s are up to now, even the ones in Kiev/Contax mount.

Old 01-01-2017   #21
kb244

Quote:

Forums like ours don't help keeps prices stable or low, look at what the original J-3s are up to now, even the ones in Kiev/Contax mount.
:P Kind of like some of our favorite "Thrifty" rangefinders that used to be considered an undiscovered gem or steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorM. View Post
Here's an ancient post dealing with lubricating the Summitar aperture selection ring: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...26&postcount=6

Nifty, I wonder if that also works for the newer black Summitars (ie: the 6-bladed one I mentioned).

Old 01-01-2017   #22
lundrog

I would likely recommend the Summitar if you like a Leica look.

I have examples of different options in that focal range for rangefinder.

summitar 10 blade. http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...lar-Summitar-5

Jupiter 8 - 50mm F2.0 LTM
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...er-8-50mm-F20/

Canon Serenar F2 LTM ( Fairly Rare )
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...n-Serenar-F2-5

Canon Serenar 50mm f19 ( copy has some lens cleaning marks )
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...renar-50mm-f19

Helios-44-0 58mm F2 Silver
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...8mm-F2-Silverf

CZ Jena Biotar 58mm F2 FX Mount.
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...Biotar-58mm-F2

Schneiderkreuznach xenon 50 f2 ( copy has rear element damaged so flairs and makes funky bokeh)
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...ach-xenon-50f2

I have a canon 50mm 1.8 but I guess I need to use it... ha pm me if you want examples.

What would I recommend? the Leica of course, then the Biotar, it's quite a lens for the cost.
Canon EOS-M, Fuji X-E2, Helois 44-0 Vintage, Helois 44-4, Canon FD 50mm 1.8, Jupiter 8 50mm F2, Jupiter 3 50mm F1.5, Canon Serenar 50mm 1.9, Canon 50mm 1.8 LTM, Canon Serenar 85mm F2, Leica 50mm f2 summar, E.Ludwig 50mm F2.9, Rekagon will.wetzlar 50mm 2.8,, a.schacht ulm travenar 135mm F3.5, CZJ 29mm 2.8 Hoya 28mm 2.8, CZ Tessar 50mm 2.8, MIR 37mm. 2.8, Porst Color Reflex MC 50mm 1.7, Vivitar 28mm 2.8 mc cf

Old 01-01-2017   #23
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundrog View Post
I would likely recommend the Summitar if you like a Leica look.

I have examples of different options in that focal range for rangefinder.

summitar 10 blade. http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...lar-Summitar-5

Jupiter 8 - 50mm F2.0 LTM
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...er-8-50mm-F20/

Canon Serenar F2 LTM ( Fairly Rare )
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...n-Serenar-F2-5

Canon Serenar 50mm f19 ( copy has some lens cleaning marks )
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...renar-50mm-f19

Helios-44-0 58mm F2 Silver
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...8mm-F2-Silverf

CZ Jena Biotar 58mm F2 FX Mount.
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...Biotar-58mm-F2

Schneiderkreuznach xenon 50 f2 ( copy has rear element damaged so flairs and makes funky bokeh)
http://photography.rogerlund.net/Gal...ach-xenon-50f2

I have a canon 50mm 1.8 but I guess I need to use it... ha pm me if you want examples.

What would I recommend? the Leica of course, then the Biotar, it's quite a lens for the cost.
That Helios-44 has an interesting look to it. I'm guessing -0 is it's series (ie: 1st version). Seeing mostly the black 44-2 for sale.

Old 01-01-2017   #24
danielsterno
making soup from mud

Quote:

I bought an almost mint J3 1.5 50mm here on RFF for $400. I use on my M5/M6 and I love the rendering in both B&W and color while I am not a Jupiter expert I would buy it all over again. I also have a Rigid 50mm summicron that creates has a unique character to images specially B&W..... all of the above in the thread are nice considerable options....

Old 01-01-2017   #25
Daryl J.

Is that hazing/etching issue with the Canon F1.8 actually common? That it is commonly talked *about* does not necessarily mean it's truly a common problem.

The local vintage camera store on N Lombard St had one and sold it almost immediately so I never got to check it out. I'd just like to have a Planar 50 in ltm to compliment my Sonnar (Nikkor Kogaku) and Summitar.

Old 01-01-2017   #26
kb244

Quote:
Is that hazing/etching issue with the Canon F1.8 actually common? That it is commonly talked *about* does not necessarily mean it's truly a common problem.

The local vintage camera store on N Lombard St had one and sold it almost immediately so I never got to check it out. I'd just like to have a Planar 50 in ltm to compliment my Sonnar (Nikkor Kogaku) and Summitar.
Well least 'common' in terms of the ones I'm seeing pop up, especially from the Japanese ebay sellers. Almost all of them exhibit some sort of haze. Maybe might just be the current 'lot' of them being sold.

Old 01-01-2017   #27
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
The difference between a Summilux and a Summitar?
$3000? ........................ ..........................

Old 01-01-2017   #28
kb244

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
$3000? ........................ ..........................
:P in other words. Canon 50/1.4 > Summitar, Canon 50/1.4 ~= Summilux.

Old 01-01-2017   #29
raid
Dad Photographer

The Canon 50/1.4 is an excellent lens overall, and its cost is rather low. The Summitar is very good for B&W photography. If you have the money, and if you want Leica equipment, get the Lux. I don't have the 50mm Lux.

Old 01-01-2017   #30
Daryl J.

Is there a Summilux that goes on a Canon 7 the OP is using?

Old 01-01-2017   #31
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
I don't think so. It was simply a comment by me on Canon and Leica lenses overall.

Old 01-01-2017   #32
kb244

Quote:
Was wondering if they were made in the LTM mount.
But at over a grand, I'd get my E-M5 Mk 1 replaced before that.

Though I will be using the lens mostly for B&W shooting with my 7 (or Fed-2A if I have two different films loaded at once), but it would be nice adapting it once in awhile to my digital.

Kind of like how my Canon 35/2.8 Serenar gives me this on my digital (100% crop, not resized).

cropped out of :

Old 01-01-2017   #33
zauhar

I have both lenses, and if I had to keep one it would be the Canon 50/1.4

That said, while I think that most people are blathering when they claim to make fine distinctions between the 'drawing' of one lens and another, in the case of the summitar it really does have a unique look, especially out-of- focus (I call it 'electric bokeh')

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 01-01-2017   #34
lundrog

Quote:
That Helios-44 has an interesting look to it. I'm guessing -0 is it's series (ie: 1st version). Seeing mostly the black 44-2 for sale.
Search for the following on the bay.

helios 44 silver 13
Canon EOS-M, Fuji X-E2, Helois 44-0 Vintage, Helois 44-4, Canon FD 50mm 1.8, Jupiter 8 50mm F2, Jupiter 3 50mm F1.5, Canon Serenar 50mm 1.9, Canon 50mm 1.8 LTM, Canon Serenar 85mm F2, Leica 50mm f2 summar, E.Ludwig 50mm F2.9, Rekagon will.wetzlar 50mm 2.8,, a.schacht ulm travenar 135mm F3.5, CZJ 29mm 2.8 Hoya 28mm 2.8, CZ Tessar 50mm 2.8, MIR 37mm. 2.8, Porst Color Reflex MC 50mm 1.7, Vivitar 28mm 2.8 mc cf

Old 01-01-2017   #35
kb244

Quote:
Search for the following on the bay.

helios 44 silver 13
And as I thought the only ones available are from Russian/Ukraine sellers.

Old 01-01-2017   #36
lundrog

Quote:
And as I thought the only ones available are from Russian/Ukraine sellers.
Yep..

If you like that lens look consider the biotar 58mm f2

Old 01-01-2017   #37
kb244

Quote:
Yep..

If you like that lens look consider the biotar 58mm f2
Did they ever make that in LTM/L39? Thought that was an exakta lens (or M42).

Old 01-01-2017   #38
FrankS

Former RFF member Brian Sweeney was very skilled at adjusting the shims of 50mm Jupiter lenses. Wonder if he still does this. I haven't been in touch with him in years.

photography makes me happy

Old 01-01-2017   #39
kb244

Seems I can get a Jupiter-8 that's been CLA'd domestically, but only if I want to get it along with a Canon P for 200 total ... which might not be a bad idea ... I'm assuming if it's been CLA'd then it's been adjusted/aligned in spec with LTM/L39 if it's going to be on a Canon P.

Old 01-01-2017   #40
02Pilot
Malcontent

Isn't the Helios-44 an M39 Zenit mount? If so, it won't focus correctly on an LTM body.

The Jupiter-8 is a fine lens, but very different from the choices the OP mentioned initially. All three of the lenses mentioned in the first post are double Gauss designs, whereas the Jupiter is a Sonnar type. I like mine, but the ergonomics are not ideal, particularly the fact that the aperture rotates in the opposite direction to Leica and Canon LTM lenses.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/