21mm vs. 24/25mm Wide Angle and Viewfinders
Old 12-29-2016   #1
nasmformyzombie
Registered

21mm vs. 24/25mm Wide Angle and Viewfinders

I have but one lens to add to my rebuilt M kit, a super wide angle. I have a super duper wide angle in the 15mm CV which a rarely use. I had the 18mm Zeiss ZM but decided that f/4 is too slow, so I sold it.

I'm looking for either a 21mm or 24/25mm f/2.8. While I decide (I'm open to input here), I've noticed that Voightlander has a metal 21/25mm viewfinder. The advantage of this is I can get one lens and then if I decide I'd rather get the other instead, I can keep the 21/25 viewfinder. How does the viewfinder handle the two focal lengths? Bright lines for each, or a mechanism to switch between the two?

Old 12-29-2016   #2
Huss

Bright lines for each. And it works great.
If your used to the frame lines in an M4-P, M6, M7, MP, MA, M9, M240 you'll be fine with the two sets of frame lines showing at once.

Old 12-29-2016   #3
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
I've noticed that Voightlander has a 21/25mm viewfinder. The advantage of this is I can get one lens and then if I decide I'd rather get the other instead, I can keep the 21/25 viewfinder. How does the viewfinder handle the two focal lengths? Bright lines for each, or a mechanism to switch between the two?
21mm frame on the outside, 25mm frame on the inside, parallax marks for close focusing at the top. Fantastic little finder!

Old 12-29-2016   #4
giganova

It's a great finder, good optical quality, great eye relieve, and overall very solid build quality (metal shoe, not plastic). Highly recommended!

Old 12-29-2016   #5
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

The CV 21/25 finder is fantastic. I use it with my 21SA. I prefer it over my Leica 21mm VF 12008 (plastic version with locking foot) in terms of eye relief, clarity and price.

Old 12-29-2016   #6
jim_jm

I have the VC 21/25 chrome finder as well. Very compact and looks great on any LTM or M body. View is bright and clear, it's a gem!

Old 12-30-2016   #7
lawrence

Does the VC 21/25 have a rubber surround to protect glasses from scratching?

Old 12-30-2016   #8
presspass
filmshooter

If you are willing to pay the price, consider a modern Zeiss finder. They are the brightest available and do not scratch glasses. I have used Voightlander finders for 25, 38, and 35 lenses as well as a 50 for my ltm cameras. They are good, but not as bright as the Zeiss. Unfortunately, the double Zeiss finder is for a 25 and a 28, not 21 and 25.

Old 12-30-2016   #9
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
If you are willing to pay the price, consider a modern Zeiss finder. They are the brightest available and do not scratch glasses. I have used Voightlander finders for 25, 38, and 35 lenses as well as a 50 for my ltm cameras. They are good, but not as bright as the Zeiss. Unfortunately, the double Zeiss finder is for a 25 and a 28, not 21 and 25.
Thanks for the advice however I've got the 21mm and 25/28mm Zeiss finders but I find the eyepoint is a bit too low -- too much eyeballing -- and I'd prefer a single 21/25 finder instead of the two.

Old 12-30-2016   #10
Rangefinder 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
I have to agree: the Zeiss Viewfinder is amazing. I use it instead of my original 21mm VF for G series. It's a piece of art.
I had for a while 24mm/3.8 Elmar-M ASPH. It's a pricey lens but what a performer! Even though most of my images where shot in the past with 21, once I got 24 I used that one most.

Old 12-30-2016   #11
:: Mark

Can anyone comment on the distortion with the Zeiss and Voigtlander finders?

I have a second hand plastic Leica finder, and the distortion is monstrous - so much so that it is difficult to accurately frame for architecture etc...

Old 12-30-2016   #12
jim_jm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Nope, just metal - but it'd be very easy to glue a rubber washer or ring cut from felt with a few drops of pliobond or epoxy.

Old 12-30-2016   #13
Gregm61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
No, it can scratch glasses if you press against it hard enough.

Old 12-30-2016   #14
Gregm61

Quote:
Originally Posted by :: Mark View Post

I have a second hand plastic Leica finder, and the distortion is monstrous - so much so that it is difficult to accurately frame for architecture etc...
If you want the least distortion (none of them are distortion free), get the Zeiss.

The best wide finder in terms of framing accuracy is the Leica multi-finder (Frankenfinder) that covers from 16-28mm, with manual distance parallax adjustments. The frame lines are distorted, but the way the lines are drawn it is very easy to frame the subject with excellent accuracy. The thing is just so darn big, but the little Voigtlander 21/25 finder is a toy in comparison.....a toy that can scratch one's not-so-inexpensive glasses.

Old 12-30-2016   #15
jim_jm

Quote:
Originally Posted by :: Mark View Post

Haven't used the Zeiss finder, but the VC 21/25 is not too bad, especially if the subject's more than a few feet away. Straight lines do start to curve at the edges of the frame, but it's never been a problem to frame accurately. Actually, the plastic 21 finder performs a tiny bit better than the 21/25 in this regard, but the 21/25 is much smaller and looks nicer. Both finders are very bright and the 21/25 has good eye relief - I can see all 4 corners of the 21 frame with glasses on.

Old 12-30-2016   #16
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post
Nope, just metal - but it'd be very easy to glue a rubber washer or ring cut from felt with a few drops of pliobond or epoxy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
No, it can scratch glasses if you press against it hard enough.
Thanks for the info, I think I'll stick with what I've got for the moment.

Old 01-04-2017   #17
nasmformyzombie
Registered

I ordered the CV 21/25 viewfinder from the head bartender and received it yesterday. I like it.

Next I have to find a small rubber washer to affix to the front so I don't scratch my eyeglasses.

Old 01-04-2017   #18
iphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
Next I have to find a small rubber washer to affix to the front so I don't scratch my eyeglasses.
Try one from a garden hose "click connector" replacement seal kit. Cheap but very effective.

Old 01-04-2017   #19
uhoh7

Congrats. I'm sure it's fine.

image by unoh7, on Flickr

the ZI finders are in a class by themselves. They make the M9 optical seem really dim. I tried a bunch, including CV. These cost alot but......wow. Rubber on the eyepiece too. Some day I want to find the 25/28.

Old 01-04-2017   #20
Richard G

25/28, 21 and 18: all the ZM finders are great. They're a very tight fit in a new digital Leica. They won't fall off. Very bright. But there is some distortion. For architecture I frame with these external finders but the final adjustment of horizontal I do in the camera VF using the RF patch.

Old 01-06-2017   #21
ferider

I'll have a spare ZM 21mm finder soon, as I'm replacing it with a SBKOO.