Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount / LTM Cameras

Sankyo Kohki Komura 28mm f3.5 LTM filter & hood question
Old 12-24-2016   #1
mcf

Sankyo Kohki Komura 28mm f3.5 LTM filter & hood question

I recently acquired the Komura 28mm f3.5 for what I now think is a very good price after shooting it (175 from a very reputable London Leica dealer).

Anyway, I can't for the life of me figure out how to detach the lens hood to mount a 55mm filter. I can see the filter thread, but can't figure out how the hood comes off (without excessive twisting).

Any ideas?

Old 12-24-2016   #2
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Should simply screw off. I had a 28mm Komura at one time and had a 55mm Komura hood attached, which was an SLR hood and the brand name did not line up correctly on the lens, but it worked fine. Simple screw-in hood.

Maybe it's been on there a long time and froze in its threads... Good luck.

Old 12-24-2016   #3
mcf

Ahh, thanks. I was hoping there was a secret little switch rather than fear-inducing twisting. Will give it another go.

Old 12-24-2016   #4
jmilkins
Digited User

Yep. It's a screw top ;-)

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 12-24-2016   #5
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf View Post
Ahh, thanks. I was hoping there was a secret little switch rather than fear-inducing twisting. Will give it another go.
Drip a few drops of 97% alcohol into the groove between hood and thread and let it sit for half an hour. Also, before trying to unscrew again, carefully but firmly tap the hood all around the front edge while setting it with the rear cap onto a firm surface.

The alcohol might dissolve anything chemical that's in there and bonds the parts, the tapping might loosen any oxidation between the thread and the (probably) aluminium lens hood.

Let us know what did the trick!?

Old 01-10-2017   #6
mcf

Sorry, forgot to follow up...

Magically, it twisted off just fine when I tried again, not much friction. The only issue now is that the hood obviously isn't designed to work with a filter (images show a lot of vignetting if its on with a filter).

Thanks guys.