Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Help needed please on C220 ..
Old 12-10-2016   #1
bobkatz

Help needed please on C220 ..

Hello friends....
I got a mamiya c220 in decent shape...but when installed a dummy 120 roll ( I mean with no film, just the paper for testing purposes only) I close the door, advance the shutter but dosnt stop! On number 1...¡. And is possible reach the end of film with no stop at all...
For sure the selectors are 120, single, locked and the back door secured...i had notice the light seals are absent and need to be replaced...I had done this same procedure with the same lens on my ancient C22 and no problems at all, stops each frame and I can take a photo!
Any advice here? Thanks everyone for Your time..
Regards..

Old 12-10-2016   #2
scigeek

I did the same with my C220 prior to replacing the light seals.
It needs a film in it for the exposure counter and stop to work. Once I started shooting a live film it was fine.

Old 12-10-2016   #3
Mackinaw
Think Different

If you remove the take-up spool (upper chamber), you’ll see a shaft that has a gear on the far end. This gear has to make contact with the film. No contact with the film means the counter mechanism may not work properly.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 12-10-2016   #4
scigeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
If you remove the take-up spool (upper chamber), you’ll see a shaft that has a gear on the far end. This gear has to make contact with the film. No contact with the film means the counter mechanism may not work properly.

Jim B.
I knew someone could explain it better than me .

Old 12-10-2016   #5
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

as said here, you need at least a take=up spool in the upper chamber.

The other possibility is that the Mamiya TLRs have a feature (the modern ones, like from the 80s at least) that the film just winds on if you hold down the shutter release. This allows you to easily remove a partial roll if you have some reason to do that. If you absent-mindedly leave your thumb on the shutter release, or your cable release has locked the release in, this can feel like a bug, not a feature.

Old 12-10-2016   #6
bobkatz

I put a fresh chrome 120 film in my c220, aligned start arrows with red marks, closed back door, single shoot and 120 selected, give turns to the knob untill number 1 appears, but no stopped in number 1, I can continue turnning the knob but remains number 1/2 showing in the window just clicking and Clicking noise...no advance to next number, no stops, no possibility to take a photo...!
Any opinion please!!
Thanks Scigeek, Mike and Jim....

just opened and compare the inside C22 versus c220 cameras and found the C22 has a silver foil "tongue" in the superior chamber....the C220 hasnt....in this normal...or my C220 is missing this piece and could explains my problem??

Just found the C220 has not that metalic foil!! Sorry for my impatience...so its not the reason..

Old 12-11-2016   #7
scigeek

You may have a fault, but it's unlikely - these things are built like tanks.
Did you have the single/multiple window on single?

Old 12-11-2016   #8
nhchen

There must be a fault in the counter inside. It happened to my c33, it was gummed up so never stopped you from winding.
Nathan

Old 12-11-2016   #9
bobkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigeek View Post
You may have a fault, but it's unlikely - these things are built like tanks.
Did you have the single/multiple window on single?
Yes...single mode..

Old 12-11-2016   #10
bobkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhchen View Post
There must be a fault in the counter inside. It happened to my c33, it was gummed up so never stopped you from winding.
Nathan

Thkx Nathan...
Did You fix it?...is an easy DIY work?
Any info about this?
Regards.

Old 12-11-2016   #11
Jake Mongey

In my C33 a few times after loading the film, this happened. What I would do is run it through without it stopping, take the film i ran through it and run it through a second time to roll it back to the "unexposed side of the paper" rinse and repeat until it worked. With enough use it started working again and i have just lubricated the mechanism for my trip to amsterdam on monday.

If you do attempt a repair heres a guide (pictures on it wont load) with instudctions on how to get into the inner workings of a c33 which could help any self attempted repairs
http://photographeronbudget.blogspot...ir-part-1.html

Old 12-11-2016   #12
Bill Clark

With my Mamiya C220, the gear on the left side in the take up reel location rides on the film spool edge. Mine advances and stops wihout film in the camera.

Take your empty take up spool out of the camera. See the gear on the left side? Mine is chrome plated. Now, with your finger push the gear into the camera. Does it easily move in? Does it pop back out? If not then, something needs to be looked at. Cleaning, new spring inside?

Thought I would share to help you.

Old 12-11-2016   #13
ckuwajima
Celso

My C330 does not require a film in the chamber to advance and lock.
It is loaded with film, therefore I can't double check but, if much, it requires only the take-up spool in place to lock on for the first exposure after a few turns of the winder and so forth for the following shots until 12/24 (120/220).

Old 12-11-2016   #14
bobkatz

Thanks so much for your input Friends...
Meanwhile Im gonna do a trial with multi option selected, and advance the knob one numbre by one until the end...Gonna try too the Jake Mongey advice.
Regards...