Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Loosen fit of bayonet filters?
Old 12-06-2016   #1
tbransco

Loosen fit of bayonet filters?

Some of my bayonet filters do not click into position without a great deal of torque, and sometimes this (or their removal) rotates the front assembly on my taking lens. I also have others that snap into position with relative ease, but I can see no obvious difference between them.

I'm wondering if any of you have come across this problem, and have found some non-destructive way to ease the mounting of these filters while retaining the ability to 'click' them into position securely.

Thanks,

Old 12-07-2016   #2
oltimer

Is this problem with a newer plastic model lens barrel? With my Hassey; all my lens barrels are metal, and I only use original Hasselblad filters which fit very snug. Never had a loose one yet.

Old 12-07-2016   #3
Ronald M

If some work and some do not, the problem is with the filters.

Aluminum filters do not slide well on aluminum lenses. Good filters are made from brass which will not bind.

The only non destructive way is a silicone grease. Apply as lightly as you can and then wipe off nearly as much as you can. This made a cheap CV lens shade work for me. You do not want to attract dirt. Plumber aisle at the hardware store.

Without proper measuring equipment, there is no way to determine why some are ill fitting. Something is out of tolerance or should be. Just guessing the lugs are too thick or wide. Lens could also be small.

If all Hasselblad product, I would send it in. If off brand filters, blame globalization
It is easy to make something cheaper, i.e. aluminum for brass or plastic for metal. Maintaining quality is more difficult. When a third party copies something, they can only measure samples. They can not find tolerances and Hasselblad will not release that information. Then someone has to know how to set up a machine to maintain that tolerance.

Old 12-07-2016   #4
tbransco

Thanks for the suggestion, Ronald. I have some silicone spray lubricant, so I'll try to apply some of that (with a cotton swab) to the slots on the inside of the taking lens.

BTW, these are original B36 filters made by Meopta for their newer (late 1960's) Flexaret TLRs. Judging from their light weight their frames are aluminum. The steel or aluminum taking lens barrel is fitted with a thin band, possibly brass, which features the necessary slots for the filter lugs to slide into.