Leica Vario-Elmar 80-200 R lens on the M240
Old 12-05-2016   #1
ellisson

Leica Vario-Elmar 80-200 R lens on the M240

I am wondering how the Vario Elmar 80-200 zoom lens performs on the M240 with live view/EVF focusing. Using lenses longer than 135mm with the zoom feature is attractive to me for various longer focal lengths. I'm curious to know the experience of those who own or have used this lens on the M240, and if the older versions perform up to the newer ROM version of this lens.
Thank you.

Old 12-05-2016   #2
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

I can tell you: excellent, with or without 2x Apo-extender. One of the best medium telezooms ever built.
But - many of these lenses have contracted some haze over the years and will need a bit of professional window-cleaning. ROM or no ROM makes absolutely no difference. Make sure you get a proper adapter the new Leica one or Novoflex; the Leica Leicina one is problematic for fit and will vignette.
(In the end I don't use it that often for daily use. I have a perfect Olympus Zuiko OM 75-150 which is still very good optically and very much lighter and smaller thus easier to carry -and dead cheap. That lens needs distortion correction in postprocessing; no big deal.)

@ 200 mm wide open:

With 2x APO-Extender @ 200 (AKA 400 mm) wide open:

And 400 mm once again:

And finally one @ 80 mm:

BTW, the focus peaking of the 240 is optimized for long lenses and works very well and precisely on this lens and other teles. Far better than the Sony variant which is conceived for short to medium focals.

jaapvphotography

Old 12-05-2016   #3
ellisson

Very nice images Jaapv, thank you for posting. I'm planning on getting the 80-200 vario-elmar and probably the Novoflex adapter. Prices are not bad, even if optics cleaning needed.
Good to know the 240 peaking function works well with these teles.
Many thanks!

Old 01-13-2017   #4
ellisson

I bought a mint condition vario-elmar 80-200mm f4 lens ROM, last version, at a good price. The preliminary indoor images hand-held with my M240 using live view are impressive. The minimal focusing distance of 1.1m, the short to mid-telephoto zoom range, and the superb IQ with this lens provide great versatility. I was hoping for this expanded capability when I purchased the M camera, and I am not disappointed. Hoping to get outside with this kit over the weekend, weather permitting, to a scenic setting. Looking forward to posting some images from this kit.

The trade-off was the sale of my Minolta APO 400mm f4.5 prime lens, another excellent lens, large and heavy (3.8 kg), that I no longer use. The sale more than covered the vario-elmar 80-200 plus an R-M adapter. Things worked out very well.

Old 01-13-2017   #5
tom.w.bn

For me focussing with a tele lens is quite difficult. In 90% I need to switch to 5x or 10x magnification to even see the peeking effect. At this magnification in combination with the tele focal lenght, the viewfinder image is shaking a lot. I'm a bit disappointed about how hard it is to focus and how long it takes to find the right distance.

Old 01-17-2017   #6
ellisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
For me focussing with a tele lens is quite difficult. In 90% I need to switch to 5x or 10x magnification to even see the peeking effect. At this magnification in combination with the tele focal lenght, the viewfinder image is shaking a lot. I'm a bit disappointed about how hard it is to focus and how long it takes to find the right distance.
Yes, this lens (R 80-200 F4) and other long lenses on the M240 and other cameras is best used with a tripod for stabilization. May be easier to use focus assistance on the Leica SL and digital cameras with sensor stabilization function for handheld shooting.

Old 01-17-2017   #7
Shac

Ellison - it's a great lens - I enjoy mine but on a Sony A7r2. In case you enjoy close-ups, the 62mm Nikon 5&6T close-up lenses work extremely well on the 80_200 with a step ring of course - and the hood will extend with them attached.
Enjoy the lens
David

Old 01-17-2017   #8
ellisson

Many thanks, David. I'll check out that Nikon close-up lens. Appreciate the suggestion!
Gary