Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Nikon RF

Nikon RF This forum is dedicated to Nikon Rangefinders: the Nikon One, Nikon M, Nikon S, Nikon S2, Nikon SP, Nikon S3, Nikon S4, and Nikon S3M, Nikon S3 2000, Nikon SP 2005. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in Nikon Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2S.

An Introduction and a Nikon s2 Rangefinder for Sale
Old 12-02-2016   #1
DansArtRealm

An Introduction and a Nikon s2 Rangefinder for Sale

Hi, Everybody!

I have been a digital photographer for many years, and though I trained on an Olympus film camera in the U.S. Navy’s journalism school many years ago, it has been more than a decade since I picked up a “manual”. (My Olympus was an OM-1 or OM-2, I believe, but it was Navy property and I had to turn it in when my tour there was over. I would soon thereafter get my hands on a Fujifilm prototype digital camera – what would be called the “beta” version if it was computer software – and my photo habits were forever changed.)

I am here because I have a Nikon s2 Rangefinder to sell, posted in the classified section, but it seemed rude to sell something without a hello to the folks out there who really love the Rangefinders. When a friend of mine asked me to post the camera for him, I was pleased to find the Rangefinders have their own fan base. I shoot with Nikons myself – a D5500 and an older D80 – and am familiar with Nikon’s quality and versatility. But I was happily shocked to find out just what level of quality was involved with this particular camera.

Like a kid on Christmas morning, I was all smiles as I assessed it. The engineering is beyond belief. This nearly 60-year-old camera is as solid and fluid as the day it was born. So I understand everyone’s love of the s2. I hope this camera finds a happy home.

I note that though I am new to this forum, I am a longstanding member of DeviantArt, also under the name DansArtRealm, as I am with Pinterest and the Adobe Creative Cloud. I am also a new member on nikonforums.com.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Check out the camera if you’re in the market for one, or just check it out if you’re curious. There are plenty of photos to show it off. It’s a whole outfit, essentially, in its original carrying bag. It’s quite the little marvel. Wicked cool, as we say here in New England.

Peace Out!
Dan

Old 12-04-2016   #2
Robert Lai

I would also include a closeup or two of the lens itself. In all of your pictures, the lens is covered up by the reversed lens hood.

Old 12-04-2016   #3
B-9
Devin Bro

Dan,

Maybe we can help with some ballpark estimates.

I sold an S2 not to long ago for 200$ in rough cosmetic shape, and just sold a SP for 500$ in similar shape. My first S2 was mint, and cost me about 275$ with a half case like yours.

I would expect your S2 body to land in the 300-350$ range if in impeccable condition with the case.

The 50/1.4 fetches 150-200$ consistently, but can be found for as low as 75$ or free on a body in the price range above if you really stalk around for a bargain. Since you have a nice original hood, I would expect the higher end. (So say 500-550$ for body case and lens)

The other bits really have no prominence to the sale of the camera, and are alone not worth much. Maybe take some offers and see where that gets you.

Just trying to help, and maybe someone can confirm or adjust my estimates above.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 12-04-2016   #4
Chubberino

Funny enough, just today I started looking at purchasing an S2 kit. Thanks for the info guys. Now I know a reasonable price range to look for.

Old 12-04-2016   #5
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Dan, ............
Just trying to help, and maybe someone can confirm or adjust my estimates above.
Spot on with where selling prices are today. I've been watching as decrease over the past two years or so to where B-9 said. Not having any free cash I haven't jumped back in to Nikon RF ownership, but this too will pass.

B2 (;->

Old 12-04-2016   #6
farlymac
PF McFarland

Maybe you should talk your friend into selling it to you on a discount, Dan. They are really nice cameras to have for enjoying film shooting. I don't think I'll ever get rid of mine, and I have a D80.

Oh, and I don't have that much money into my five lens S2 BD outfit. I shopped around quite a bit putting it together.

PF

Old 12-04-2016   #7
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I got my Nikon S2 kit at $517 (original lens hood and leather case included) in 2010 from Igor Camera Exchange. I've seen the S2 prices going down steadily ever since. If you were offering a Nikon SP or an even rarer S3 or S4, that might be the right price to ask for a body as mint as this one.

I mean well, BTW, it's a beautiful set...
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear

Old 12-06-2016   #8
Chubberino

Put in an offer but he seems to have skedaddled. Oh well.

Old 12-06-2016   #9
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubberino View Post
Put in an offer but he seems to have skedaddled. Oh well.
I was beginning to get that feeling.

Old 12-06-2016   #10
splitimageview

Did you send him a PM, he replied to mine

Old 12-06-2016   #11
Chubberino

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Did you send him a PM, he replied to mine
No, but I'll try that. I'm guessing he's not willing to come down to a reasonable price then if he didn't accept yours?

Old 12-07-2016   #12
enasniearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubberino View Post
No, but I'll try that. I'm guessing he's not willing to come down to a reasonable price then if he didn't accept yours?
You offered $550 for a camera that's offered for $1350?
I think the price may be high but really , offering 40% could
Be perceived as , a joke .
Or at the least an unrealistic offer .

Old 12-07-2016   #13
BillBingham2

Monetary value can only be truly established when a sale is made.

B2 (;->

Old 12-07-2016   #14
Chubberino

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
You offered $550 for a camera that's offered for $1350?
I think the price may be high but really , offering 40% could
Be perceived as , a joke .
Or at the least an unrealistic offer .
I offered based on what reliable members on here said it was worth. Didn't matter anyways as I just purchased one in the same condition with lens, case, and camera for $350.

Old 12-07-2016   #15
NIKON KIU
Did you say Nippon Kogaku

Welcome to the original poster and thanks for your participation.

I think $550 is a good offer.
I had a super nice chrome dial S2 in the box, it wasn't as clean as this black dial but it was close. I couldn't even get $500 for that. Heck I couldn't get $500 for S4 and lens I put up for sale...

I saw a user S2 on the bay, it did under $400

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351919047133

A member is selling a nice Titanium Shutter Nikon SP for under a grand...
Why would anyone buy Black dial S2 when they can get Late model SP for cheaper?

Obviously sellers are free to ask whatever they want for their wares but finding a buyer is another story.

Kiu

Old 12-07-2016   #16
Paul T.

but it's very kind of the OP to open a thread so we can discuss his sale. A real service to the community

Old 12-07-2016   #17
Chubberino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T. View Post
but it's very kind of the OP to open a thread so we can discuss his sale. A real service to the community
Definitely. Helped me out bunches.

Old 12-07-2016   #18
radi(c)al_cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansArtRealm View Post
[…] When a friend of mine asked me to post the camera for him, I was pleased to find the Rangefinders have their own fan base. […]
Like a kid on Christmas morning, I was all smiles as I assessed it. The engineering is beyond belief. This nearly 60-year-old camera is as solid and fluid as the day it was born. So I understand everyone’s love of the s2. I hope this camera finds a happy home. […]
Hmmmm — «Irrational urge to edit other people's classified ads», encore?

cf.: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...7&postcount=58

Old 12-07-2016   #19
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Good that I never saw that S4 going for >$400... that'd been my downfall...
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear

Old 12-07-2016   #20
James24

Count me in as well for an S4 at $500.

Old 12-07-2016   #21
splitimageview

Old 12-07-2016   #22
Larry Cloetta

That's just piling on.

Old 12-07-2016   #23
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKON KIU View Post

I think $550 is a good offer.
I had a super nice chrome dial S2 in the box, it wasn't as clean as this black dial but it was close. I couldn't even get $500 for that. Heck I couldn't get $500 for S4 and lens I put up for sale...
There are very few collectors left. They want the glamor cameras.

Old 12-07-2016   #24
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
That's just piling on.
Not meant to be that, just showing the recent sales on ebay, obviously there is not an exact correlation between the RFF classified and the items on ebay in terms of what is included, and of course there is no way to confirm identical condition (or not.)

Anyone in the market for such a camera will be looking at these figures and it is entirely up to the buyer to decide if the price for this item is reasonable or not.

It appears to me (and others in this thread) that Nikon RFs have declined in value quite a bit over the past few years. They are now excellent buys, as they are great shooters!

Old 12-07-2016   #25
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Not meant to be that, just showing the recent sales on ebay, obviously there is not an exact correlation between the RFF classified and the items on ebay in terms of what is included, and of course there is no way to confirm identical condition (or not.)

Anyone in the market for such a camera will be looking at these figures and it is entirely up to the buyer to decide if the price for this item is reasonable or not.

It appears to me (and others in this thread) that Nikon RFs have declined in value quite a bit over the past few years. They are now excellent buys, as they are great shooters!
I remember when all those cameras were shipped back to Japan during the '80s from camera shows. Very few originated from Japan. I honestly have no idea of their quality, but they are expensive to return.

Old 12-07-2016   #26
NIKON KIU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
There are very few collectors left. They want the glamor cameras.
I tell you a story, it's interesting to read. Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread but I think it's related.

Like Tom A. says, rangefinder cameras can multiply if you are not careful with them. They need to be watched. I wasn't watching mine for a while and then one day I looked and there were 15-20 of them! I just had to get rid of some...

Since last month, I have sold 5 Rangefinder cameras, I put up a couple of ads here but got no response at all, I did the evil bay too.

You know what got me the most hits and the most money of all the junk I sold?

Years ago, I had a fellow RFF'r paint this after I had it overhauled. I never changed the leather although it really needed it. It became an unfinished project...
It was this camera:

Result was almost 800 views and about 100 people watching!
It sold for $430

That was the best I got out of the all the cameras I sold!
The rest of the listings did not even come close, I got 150-200 views with 10 watchers at best.

The collector market is there but it's changing. People want working cameras, that's the most important aspect these days, it has to be working, cameras that need work to function bring very little $
It also seems buyers are looking for something different, an everyday chrome camera is not exciting anymore, even if it has docs and box with original lens. A custom camera that needs to be recovered can command 4 times interest.

Go figure!

Kiu

Old 12-07-2016   #27
Larry Cloetta

Quote:

I was joking.

Old 12-07-2016   #28
vytasn

Quote:

I saw a user S2 on the bay, it did under $400

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351919047133

Kiu
Hey I was the one that just bought that user S2! I was looking for a fast 50 for my Leica CL, but got distracted and decided to buy a fast 50 that came with a camera. However, I think that the real reason was that the S2 was made in my birth year (serial number 618554 - late model black dial should put it in 1956). If anyone can verify that ... wait I don't want to know if it is not 1956.

Cheers,

Vytas

Old 12-07-2016   #29
NIKON KIU

Quote:
Originally Posted by vytasn View Post
Hey I was the one that just bought that user S2! I was looking for a fast 50 for my Leica CL, but got distracted and decided to buy a fast 50 that came with a camera. However, I think that the real reason was that the S2 was made in my birth year (serial number 618554 - late model black dial should put it in 1956). If anyone can verify that ... wait I don't want to know if it is not 1956.

Cheers,

Vytas
The only thing that made it a user was the tripod marks on the base plate, else looked really good.

You got a really good deal. Any Leica 1.4 lens costs more than that!

Kiu

Old 12-07-2016   #30
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
That camera looks like $400. And it may be worse than it looks in the photos.

The fit of the front plate is very poor, which may have something to do with the bashing on the area over the focus wheel. The upper front plate screws are buggered, and the plate no longer is UNDER the top plate.

The bottom is one of the ugliest tripod marks I have ever seen, it looks like it was on a spinning display at one time.

Covering on the front is not glued back on straight.

Personally I would not want to own it.

To me there is an enormous difference to collectors between a beater, and a camera with minimal use, boxed, papers and a clean case. (By the way this case is an EP case not original to this camera.)

I once knew an annoying collector who would call me and say:

Collector: "You know that mint black SP you have, that you wanted $XX,000 for? I found one for way less."
Me: "What was the condition?"
Collector: "Just a few dents, and the bottom plate was totally brassed, but on a shelf you can't see it."

There is always something cheaper.

Old 12-08-2016   #31
css9450

I paid a lot for my S2; it looks only lightly used except for the usual scratches around the tripod socket (I wonder if everyone used tripods with sharp burrs on them back in those days?). Its a great camera but soon after I bought it, I found this forum and made the realization I probably paid more than I should have. Oh well... It'll be with me until I die; its such a great shooter.

Old 12-08-2016   #32
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vytasn View Post
Hey I was the one that just bought that user S2! I was looking for a fast 50 for my Leica CL, but got distracted and decided to buy a fast 50 that came with a camera.
This is why I bought a Nikon S2. I like to shoot, and like to shoot vintage glass. The S2 lets me do that for a lot less money than doing the same with my Leica. My S2, w/3.5cm was less than a decent 35mm Leica lens, and it has the same vintage renderings. I can pick up a 5cm for it for peanuts compared to a decent collapsible Cron, and an 8.5cm I have my eye on is less than a third of the price of the 90 Elmarit M I bought years ago.

The Nikon Rangefinder line just gives you a lot of options for a lot less money.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 12-08-2016   #33
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

I have paid all sorts of prices for S2's from $150 to $2500, and there was really no rhyme or reason. I paid about $2500 for the nicest one I ever had, a mint black paint, black dial.

The user ones are definitely cheaper right now, but compared to say a Nikon F, they are still very expensive considering there are so very many of them out there.

Old 12-08-2016   #34
enasniearth

To put it in prospective 138,000 nikon rangefinder cameras total all models were produced,
Leica made 233,000 m3 cameras just one of their models .
So for every 4 nikons you see there are 7 Leica m3's

Many 50-75 year old cameras need serviced , try to buy the nicest camera you can find . Or afford .

Old 12-08-2016   #35
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I paid a lot for my S2 ......... I probably paid more than I should have.....
Perhaps, but you went with the best information you had at the time. It's really easy to second guess every decision. I've paid a lot more for stuff over the past fifteen years or so than I could have, but then I had it longer, enjoined it more, and when I sold it I recovered most of what I paid for them.

I've also gotten some get bargains and made money when I had to sell them.

I look at my purchases as long term rentals as I've been bouncing between employed and Un way too much the past five years or so. They bring me joy when I have them and give me something to think about where to go next when I don't.

B2(;->

P.S. My wife loves to point out how every can be done better, even every so often on things she did. I've gotten to the point to the best I can, learn everything I can and don't sweet the stuff I don't have reasonable control of.

Wow! What Wonderful Responses!
Old 12-09-2016   #36
DansArtRealm

Wow! What Wonderful Responses!

Hi, Everyone,

I am rather pleased to see the advice and debate (and even criticism) my ad has generated. I would have joined in sooner if I'd know how to navigate this site better. I used to do eBay all the time back in the day, but this format is new to me.

The overwhelming consensus seems to be that I am asking too much for this camera/outfit. I concede this may be true. I would reduce the price, if I could figure out how to, but I've searched FAQ and gone into the add and just can't seem to change it. I have been made a few offers via private message and have had a number of inquiries, but I'm not quite where I think this camera should really be. I know cameras quite well, in general, but of antique cameras, only what I've learned from recent research.

It would indeed seem the s2 market has calmed down compared to its high point. I'm not terribly surprised considering how many s2's Nikon made. But this is an outfit, not just a camera and a case, or camera and a bag, or a camera and a lens. I have in all my searches found nothing quite like it.

I'm not a hard-nosed salesperson or cynic. I'm a former broadcast and print journalist/photographer/videographer (yeah, really, I wore all those hats and it was awesome) and current part-time photographer. My goal here is a sincere one, to sell a good camera at a reasonable price. I may not get it -- I certainly don't expect $1350.00 at this point -- but just to have sparked and enlivened this thread is pretty satisfactory on its own.

Peace Out!
Dan

Old 12-09-2016   #37
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Hi, Everyone,

I am rather pleased to see the advice and debate (and even criticism) my ad has generated. I would have joined in sooner if I'd know how to navigate this site better. I used to do eBay all the time back in the day, but this format is new to me.

The overwhelming consensus seems to be that I am asking too much for this camera/outfit. I concede this may be true. I would reduce the price, if I could figure out how to, but I've searched FAQ and gone into the add and just can't seem to change it. I have been made a few offers via private message and have had a number of inquiries, but I'm not quite where I think this camera should really be. I know cameras quite well, in general, but of antique cameras, only what I've learned from recent research.

It would indeed seem the s2 market has calmed down compared to its high point. I'm not terribly surprised considering how many s2's Nikon made. But this is an outfit, not just a camera and a case, or camera and a bag, or a camera and a lens. I have in all my searches found nothing quite like it.

I'm not a hard-nosed salesperson or cynic. I'm a former broadcast and print journalist/photographer/videographer (yeah, really, I wore all those hats and it was awesome) and current part-time photographer. My goal here is a sincere one, to sell a good camera at a reasonable price. I may not get it -- I certainly don't expect $1350.00 at this point -- but just to have sparked and enlivened this thread is pretty satisfactory on its own.

Peace Out!
Dan
Dan,

Glad to see you return. To edit your ad, just find your ad in classifieds, look for the button at the upper right corner of your ad that says "product options", click that for the drop down menu which will list, among other things, "edit ad" under "admin" ( that's you).

Old 12-09-2016   #38
DansArtRealm

Thank you! It's been driving me nuts!

Old 12-09-2016   #39
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Thank you! It's been driving me nuts!
Are you intentionally posting the set in the Auction section? If not, you can edit the ad to change the category its listed in. 35mm Full Frame and Smaller Format would be the logical section to list it in.

Old 12-09-2016   #40
DansArtRealm

And thank you, too!