Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Digital Compacts

God bless Ricoh GR! A 2 years experience shooting the streets
Old 11-10-2016   #1
iammine

Exclamation God bless Ricoh GR! A 2 years experience shooting the streets

Ciao dear mate of RFf!

Those following words are the least i can write to say how much i am grateful to my little GR, and no, i am not paid from Ricoh.
Itís been more than two (2) years that I own my little black gem.
I bought it just after my graduation in 2014, and I couldnít have done a better choice back then.
I am very grateful to myself when I made this choice.

All can I say, is that buying a Ricoh GR was the best investment I ever made in my photography.

Period.

If your interested, here are more thoughts about the GR, and most of all, my fav pics i shot with it!

https://itsalwaysluck.wordpress.com/...less-ricoh-gr/

Peace,
Giorgio

http://eyegobananas.com/

connect to me via FACEBOOK / TWITTER / FLICKR

Please check my street photography collective: EyeGoBananas

Old 11-11-2016   #2
Archiver

Looks like the GR has served you extremely well. Very strong images. You have a nice way of processing that is vivid but not too artificial.

The GRD III was my everyday camera from October 2009 to mid 2013, when the GR was released. Having a GR/D as a primary camera throughout life, work and travel is a gift.

If a Leica with 35mm lens is your next camera, the GR will make an excellent companion.

Old 11-11-2016   #3
Chromacomaphoto

Lovely images, a slight whiff of Alex Webb comes my way upon seeing your excellent compositions and tones. Excellent!

Old 11-11-2016   #4
grouchos_tash

Really impressed with your photography, well done!

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 11-11-2016   #5
jky

fantastic images! Wonderful job.

Old 11-11-2016   #6
Dogman

Very impressive photos.

Old 11-11-2016   #7
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Some nice colors and bw, lots of jumping...

I didn't find the link with God naming for no reason to be something which is related to gear review, but list of personal achievements in some contests. I followed another link which supposed to be about GR and still didn't find the difference between setting GR in Auto and using of iPhone. Still have no idea how people could use camera without VF and have good street pictures...

God Rivals is this what GR stands for?

Old 11-11-2016   #8
johnwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
....Still have no idea how people could use camera without VF and have good street pictures...
I'd say the OP offers plenty of evidence that great work can be done without a VF. Terrific portfolio, Giorgio! Really enjoyed it.

John

Old 11-11-2016   #9
mackigator

I love my Ricoh GR too. Fantastic camera, but it would be better with a small viewfinder. I'm a better photographer with a viewfinder.

R0010086ec3 by Clark Mackey, on Flickr

Old 11-11-2016   #10
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
I'd say the OP offers plenty of evidence that great work can be done without a VF..
This what I'm finding interesting. I just can't do it quick enough and with confidence as with RF. Maybe GR is very different from iPhone, but no info in the "reviews" provided .

Old 11-11-2016   #11
johnwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
This what I'm finding interesting. I just can't do it quick enough and with confidence as with RF. Maybe GR is very different from iPhone, but no info in the "reviews" provided .
What you can miss with LCD-only is the ability to see small details, subtle gestures, and such. But with practice you can take in the scene through the LCD and in real life at the same time. That helps a lot.

And, yes, using the GR is worlds different than using a phone. GR ergonomics are so superior. Then there's snap focus, TAv, one-handed capability, etc. And, of course, that remarkable lens/sensor combination.

John

Old 11-11-2016   #12
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammine View Post
Ciao dear mate of RFf!

Those following words are the least i can write to say how much i am grateful to my little GR, and no, i am not paid from Ricoh.
I bought it just after my graduation in 2014, and I couldnít have done a better choice back then.

All can I say, is that buying a Ricoh GR was the best investment I ever made in my photography.

Period.

If your interested, here are more thoughts about the GR, and most of all, my fav pics i shot with it!

Peace,
Giorgio

nice work. the 28mm focal length (equiv) is a hard one to master. you seem to be comfortable with it.

Old 11-11-2016   #13
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
What you can miss with LCD-only is the ability to see small details, subtle gestures, and such. But with practice you can take in the scene through the LCD and in real life at the same time. That helps a lot.

And, yes, using the GR is worlds different than using a phone.
Interesting point about LCD and real life, close to both eyes open RF shooting.

My favorite street walk and outdoor family pictures is with the sun behind me. I guess, main difference between iPhone and GR in this regard is in improved anti-flare screen capability.
I reread this OP GR review https://itsalwaysluck.wordpress.com/...view-ricoh-gr/ and it is more clear to me know why it is good camera.

My mind works differently with a viewfinder
Old 11-11-2016   #14
mackigator

My mind works differently with a viewfinder

I've struggled for a long time to put into words the difference between composing my pictures with a viewfinder (must be ergonomically located on the camera) and composing on a screen. For me they are two different ways of thinking, and one - the viewfinder way - gets me consistently better pictures.

With a viewfinder, it's as though I am looking around inside the image world, in a type of god mode, deciding where the image frame will descend and what slice of time will be preserved. I police the frame better, control the background better, and get more interesting arrangements of the action with the viewfinder. Surprisingly, even my subconscious mind is in on this act and all those ideas apply even more strongly when shooting quickly. When I do not have time to consciously compose each shot the viewfinder somehow allows my mind to make good images.

With a screen, especially in that last scenario (the quick composition without time for conscious thought) my images are worse. If the viewfinder puts me in "god-mode," so to speak, then the screen-based camera puts my in "art museum tourist mode." Over and over again my mind acts like it does when I'm looking at a painting on a gallery wall, and I cannot imagine as well what lies beyond the frame, what might have been done differently, or correct as efficiently for background problems in that flat image. So many times after shooting quickly using screens, I return to process my images and I think "how could I not have seen that?" about some bothersome part of the photos that get graded as rejects.

I'm not slamming small digitals, or the Ricoh GR in particular (which I do love as a pocket camera). But the mental differences are real for me and I wish the Ricoh had an Olympus XA sized viewfinder in the corner.

Old 11-11-2016   #15
jmilkins
Digited User

Congratulations - life seen well.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 11-11-2016   #16
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Ciao dear mate of RFf!

Period.

Peace,
Giorgio

Very nice stuff. How do you get those colors?

Old 11-11-2016   #17
burancap

Great stuff, especially that color work.

Old 11-11-2016   #18
conyon

Giorgio, nice set @ your website! As others have noted, great colors! Does it take you much time post-processing?

Old 11-11-2016   #19
FrozenInTime

Very good - I think you've mastered the camera and the art.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 11-11-2016   #20
Michael I.

great work!

Old 11-14-2016   #21
jsrockit

I'd make the article less about the camera and more about your photography.

Old 11-14-2016   #22
mlu19

Love your images. I can't agree with you more the Ricoh GR is the best camera for street photography, small/quiet, fast/zone focus, film-like color/bw.

Old 11-14-2016   #23
nightfly

Nice job. I really like your color images particularly.

You CAN add a little accessory finder. It makes it slightly less pocketable but more comfortable for viewfinder folks. It's not a Leica but if you feel more involved with your photography by looking through the viewfinder, it works. Feels like the film GR.

I use mine both ways. If I'm going out dedicated shooting, I use the viewfinder but I often use it as a grab and go camera or a travel camera without it.

I sold mine and bought a Fuji XE2 and a 28mm lens because I do prefer Fuji's colors but found it so frustrating to use and in most ways worse than the GR that I sold it and bought a GR II.

Old 11-15-2016   #24
iammine

Hi mates, and first of all, thank you for all the great feedback about this simple article.
I am really happy for your grateful words.

I will try to answer the two main questions:

1.Viewfinder:

Yes, Ricoh lacks of an optical viewfinder, and no doubts it would be great to have a small one like the old GR film cameras. Btw, as nightfly said, you can add an external viewfinder on the hotshoe and the job is done. So, i don't really understand the complains about the "missing" viewfinder on this camera. Then, as johnwolf said, after using for some time the same camera and focal lenght (28mm here), you don't use the screen to compose: you look at real life, and when you feel something interesting is happening/is gonna happen, you raise your camera already knowing what will you frame. It's like you have 28mm frames in your head!

2. How to get those colours/post-processing:

I do NOT stay long time making PP. My usual workflow is: LR import, selection of the best pics, adding a VSCO preset, then lowering contrast and saturation, adjusting temperature. That's all I do in 99% of the time.

3.jsrockit:

please ask if you have any question or doubt about my "photography"

Have a great day mates,

and most of all...go out and shoot this beautiful world!

Don't miss YOUR today

connect to me via FACEBOOK / TWITTER / FLICKR

Please check my street photography collective: EyeGoBananas

Old 11-15-2016   #25
jsrockit

Quote:

3.jsrockit:

please ask if you have any question or doubt about my "photography"
I was actually giving you a compliment.

Old 11-15-2016   #26
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
1.Viewfinder:

Yes, Ricoh lacks of an optical viewfinder, and no doubts it would be great to have a small one like the old GR film cameras. Btw, as nightfly said, you can add an external viewfinder on the hotshoe and the job is done. So, i don't really understand the complains about the "missing" viewfinder on this camera. Then, as johnwolf said, after using for some time the same camera and focal lenght (28mm here), you don't use the screen to compose: you look at real life, and when you feel something interesting is happening/is gonna happen, you raise your camera already knowing what will you frame. It's like you have 28mm frames in your head!
Thanks for detailed into!
I'll try it with my digital P&S.

As for VF on the top and in the middle ... it gives a lot of grease on camera back from me.

Old 11-15-2016   #27
BlackXList

Great photos, I look forward to seeing more.

I don't get the complaints about the lack of viewfinder either, the entire digital GR series hasn't had them, and it's been over a decade now.

Old 11-15-2016   #28
Dogman

As someone who has long bemoaned the lack of viewfinders in digitals, I have to admit the GR/GRII is pretty much perfect as is. I never miss a viewfinder when I use mine. Great little camera.