Results of my first self-developed roll
Old 10-27-2016   #1
papo

Results of my first self-developed roll

I have several questions and i dont know if this is the right section but here it is nonetheless.

I noticed that all of my photos have these "scratches" - why is that? The lenses are squeaky clean, i have put brand new sealings inside the camera (AE-1) and have blown out all the possible dust out the camera with an air spray.

Before you ask:
- All images are scans from negatives, not the images themselves
- Scanner is brandnew, has no scratches and is always kept clean
- Scan results from my other camera did not have any of these distortions, which means its either the camera or from my first attempt of self-developing
- The bigger, more noticeable scratches can be seen on the negatives

img147 by odotpap, on Flickr

This one has some ugly dots (top left) - is this from developing? What mistake did i make?

img155 by odotpap, on Flickr

And this one here was shot on the same roll of film but its greytones are so much different than the rest - why?

img148 by odotpap, on Flickr

Old 10-27-2016   #2
Bill Clark

Good job!

Is it dust?

How and where did you dry the film?

Keep working because what you've shown here is very nice.

Old 10-27-2016   #3
Timmyjoe

That looks like dust to me. It's really hard to keep dust off the negatives, and even hard to see the dust by eye, but the scanner will pick up all of it.

My rule of thumb, if it's showing up white on the final image, it's something blocking the light when you're scanning, the most likely culprit, dust on the negs.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 10-27-2016   #4
papo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Good job!

Is it dust?

How and where did you dry the film?

Keep working because what you've shown here is very nice.
No dust Sir, the negs were hung in the bathroom on top of the clothing dryer rack, attatched to the door. The bathroom is the cleanest and most dust-free room that i have

Old 10-27-2016   #5
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Looks like dust on developed film. Use the Rocket Blower after getting it into the frame, but before it goes into the scanner.
Did you use Photo-Flo 200 long enough?

Old 10-27-2016   #6
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by papo View Post
And this one here was shot on the same roll of film but its greytones are so much different than the rest - why?
Different exposure? probably under exposed?

Old 10-27-2016   #7
Rangefinder 35

Scan the same frames once more. If the "dust" pops up in the same places in scans, it's dried particles on the film itself. If not. buy yourself a can of compressed air and blow the film before inserting in the scanner.

Old 10-27-2016   #8
mpaniagua

are you talking about the black dots on the building's photo? if so, doubt its dust, cause dust shows as white isnt?

Old 10-27-2016   #9
papo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
That looks like dust to me. It's really hard to keep dust off the negatives, and even hard to see the dust by eye, but the scanner will pick up all of it.

My rule of thumb, if it's showing up white on the final image, it's something blocking the light when you're scanning, the most likely culprit, dust on the negs.
See those two white spots in fromt and to the side of the pedestrian in image 1? They can still be seen on the negative. As i have said earlier, some distortion can be seen immediately on the negative but most of the other stuff is nowhere to be seen on the negative

Old 10-27-2016   #10
papo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Looks like dust on developed film. Use the Rocket Blower after getting it into the frame, but before it goes into the scanner.
Did you use Photo-Flo 200 long enough?
I used an Adox wetting agent and added it to the last rinse water as told in the the devloping instructions by Ilford.

Old 10-27-2016   #11
papo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinder 35 View Post
Scan the same frames once more. If the "dust" pops up in the same places in scans, it's dried particles on the film itself. If not. buy yourself a can of compressed air and blow the film before inserting in the scanner.
Shocker: I dared to clean the negative with a cleaning "rag" for lenses and as you can see, most of the stuff is gone! I guess it is dirt, dust etc, the question is where did i make a mistake?

Original scan
img147 by odotpap, on Flickr

Cleaned scan
img180 by odotpap, on Flickr

Old 10-27-2016   #12
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

With overestimate of how clean bathroom is dust free and getting photo-flo bubbly.

Old 10-27-2016   #13
Joao
Negativistic forever

Running some hot water in the shower for a while will make the water vapor remove the dust that is in the air; do it before hanging the film to dry. It will take a little more time to dry but it will be dust free .

Regards

Joao

Old 10-27-2016   #14
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by papo View Post
No dust Sir, the negs were hung in the bathroom on top of the clothing dryer rack, attatched to the door. The bathroom is the cleanest and most dust-free room that i have
It may still be dust, magnified 10 times. Add this to the last rinse to keep negs as dust free as possible: https://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/fotoch...onzentrat.html

By the way here is my own development cheat sheet. I got acceptable results with Delta 100 and Rodinal. http://billead.com/film/

Negative

Digitally cropped and processed

Old 10-27-2016   #15
ferider

Excellent first results, congrats !

Regarding the "dust", my negatives (also dried in a remote bathroom) dramatically improved wrt cleanliness via (1) using distilled water for the final wash and (2) an electric blower (before scanning). But (1) was the most important factor.

Roland.

Old 10-27-2016   #16
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Excellent work for a first try.

Things will only improve from now on, and you been given some excellent suggestions from seasoned film hounds.

One thing I have noticed is that different brands of B&W films have a more or less attraction to dust particles when the film is drying.

Ilford film is best in this regard to not attracting dust particles to stick to it while drying, with the Foma films being much worse for this.

Old 10-27-2016   #17
Laviolette

Keep it up! Our first roll of film is magical, I still remember mine.

Quote:
It looks like the way a scanner render an overexposed negative to me. Do the negative frame looks darker and denser than the other ones?

Old 10-27-2016   #18
mwoenv

A good practice is to make sure that everything used in the film development process in contact with the film has no lint or dust on it, e.g., don't dry reels and tanks with a cloth, let them air dry and blow them off with a rocket-air blower before use, so no lint or dust is present when you use them.

Also, filter all chemicals with a coffee filter before each use; developer and fixer remove silver from the film and a small amount of that type of debris can be present in the solutions.

When you hang film to dry, leave it alone; even opening a door to the bathroom can stir up some small amounts of dust that can get on the film before it dries.
Konica III; Konica Auto S2; Konica Autoreflex T2; Konica FS-1; Pentax 645; Yashica Mat 124; Minolta SRT201, X700, X370, XD-11, Minolta Hi-matic 7S; Olympus OM-1; Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC; Nikon N80, N75

Old 10-28-2016   #19
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

looks quite good so far, congrats.

i you have a good loupe (6x .. 10x), take a look at the negatives. you might be surprised by the amount of dust still sticking to them ...

cheers,
sebastian

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Old 10-28-2016   #20
Joao
Negativistic forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Excellent work for a first try.

One thing I have noticed is that different brands of B&W films have a more or less attraction to dust particles when the film is drying.

Ilford film is best in this regard to not attracting dust particles to stick to it while drying, with the Foma films being much worse for this.
Polypan F is the worst dust-attractive film I have ever tried. Much worse than anything else. Maybe due to its polyester base ??

Regards

Joao

Old 10-28-2016   #21
papo

Side note:

- Can photo chemicals make you dizzy and whatnot?

I developed a film today in my bathroom that has no window and is really tiny so i wonder if the dizzyness came from the chemical fumes

- the aforementioned film resulted in 0 pics. i assume that the film simply did not advance after each shot (i only had a few spins of rewinding it, instead of the usual time, thats when i knew something was up) although it did advance the exposure numbers on the camera AND the film axis that holds the film in place did move properly. what could the mistake be? Is there a trick to cut the corner of the film properly so this wont happen again?

Old 10-28-2016   #22
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

"no window and is really tiny" - most likely it came from lack of fresh air.

Do you have camera manual? Usually they have specific chapter for how to load film in specific camera. Following this makes it works as it should. Reading manual helped me with loading issues of most of film cameras I have used.

Old 10-28-2016   #23
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

is there anything on the film?
i mean, like frame numbering on the border, or a dark (=exposed) leader?

if not -> problem with processing (used the fixer first, for example)

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Old 10-28-2016   #24
papo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastel View Post
is there anything on the film?
i mean, like frame numbering on the border, or a dark (=exposed) leader?

if not -> problem with processing (used the fixer first, for example)
Yes you do see the frame numbering on the border

Old 10-28-2016   #25
papo

Quote:
"no window and is really tiny" - most likely it came from lack of fresh air.

Do you have camera manual? Usually they have specific chapter for how to load film in specific camera. Following this makes it works as it should. Reading manual helped me with loading issues of most of film cameras I have used.
This was a roll of film that i created from a 100ft bulk roll of HP5+. I have loaded plenty of film in the past and never had any issues like these.

The thing that really got me upset is that the numbers of exposures kept advancing, so did the film wheel Thats why i thought everything was ok, until i decided to rewind the film and was done within 2-3 seconds

Old 10-28-2016   #26
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Is this camera new to you or bulk loading? Cutting film end makes big difference and in the camera manual it might be also shown.
Camera counting frames without film is absolutely normal to me. It is harder to remember which one wasn't doing it.

Old 10-28-2016   #27
papo

Quote:
Is this camera new to you or bulk loading? Cutting film end makes big difference and in the camera manual it might be also shown.
Camera counting frames without film is absolutely normal to me. It is harder to remember which one wasn't doing it.
The film sprocket is not supposed to move when there is no film inside the camera. This is what has made all of the difference for me, thinking the film actually did advance properly

Now, what do i do long term about the lack of overall air supply in my bathroom? The only room that has windows is my "living" room (keep in mind, i live in an East-Berlin building block from the 1960s).

I was thinking about trying it in the living room and just go to the bathroom to pour out/change the chemicals and to eventually to dry it in the bathroom to prevent getting dust and whatnot on the film.

Old 10-31-2016   #28
papo

The second developed roll turned out to be much better, i did change my clothes for developing into functional sports clothes (you know, sweat absorbing nylon/polyester stuff for running) to minimize dust and it did help. Other than that, i went about it the same way. I did clean up a few dust spots here and there.

img192 by odotpap, on Flickr

img198 by odotpap, on Flickr

img209 by odotpap, on Flickr

img217 by odotpap, on Flickr

img211 by odotpap, on Flickr

img197 by odotpap, on Flickr

Old 10-31-2016   #29
Bill Clark

Much better.

Must of had the table saw dust settled! Ha!

Old 10-31-2016   #30
rybolt

If you are using a wetting agent (and you probably should be if you aren't) be sure to use distilled water with that step. The active ingredients in the wetting agent will attract any impurities in your water supply. In the old days the wetting agents had formalin in them which the FDA banned. After that it became a lot touchier with stuff in the water.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 10-31-2016   #31
papo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Much better.

Must of had the table saw dust settled! Ha!
pretty much, yeah

i still think i will have to get air spray long term. the dust is really annoying

Old 10-31-2016   #32
papo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybolt View Post
If you are using a wetting agent (and you probably should be if you aren't) be sure to use distilled water with that step. The active ingredients in the wetting agent will attract any impurities in your water supply. In the old days the wetting agents had formalin in them which the FDA banned. After that it became a lot touchier with stuff in the water.
yeah, i am using the ADOFLO (Adox) wetting agent. i will look into all of this.