Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Use Voigtlander push-on filters with lens hood?
Old 10-15-2016   #1
tbransco

Use Voigtlander push-on filters with lens hood?

After reading the Perkeo II manual I was left with the impression that a Voigtlander lens hood could be fitted to one of the Voigtlander 32mm b&w contrast filters. Yesterday, I received one of these filters, labelled as a G3X, but its outside diameter is larger than 32mm, preventing the attachment of the hood.

I guess my question is: did I misread the manual or are there two (or more) push-on 32mm filters manufactured by Voigtlander?

Old 10-19-2016   #2
JPD
J. Patric Dahlén

The lens hood mount is meant to fit inside the filter and not on the outside.

Old 10-21-2016   #3
tbransco

I thought as much, but with my hood, it slipped into the filter and right back out again, leading me to believe they weren't meant for each other. I can bend the small tabs out a bit so the hood does stay in the filter, but should I also expect to be able to push the hood onto an unfiltered lens without reversing these adjustments?

Thanks,

Terry

Old 10-21-2016   #4
JPD
J. Patric Dahlén

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbransco View Post
I thought as much, but with my hood, it slipped into the filter and right back out again, leading me to believe they weren't meant for each other. I can bend the small tabs out a bit so the hood does stay in the filter, but should I also expect to be able to push the hood onto an unfiltered lens without reversing these adjustments?
In principle, yes. I don't know why Voigtländer made their filters like that. 32mm slip-on filters are easy to find if you want to use another brand.

This high quality B+W yellow filter should fit: www.ebay.com/itm/331927337276

Old 10-22-2016   #5
tbransco

That's an interesting suggestion. I hadn't noticed any other brands with a 32mm in their range. Thanks for that. I'll keep B&W in miind if ever I want to pick up more filters.

Old 10-23-2016   #6
JPD
J. Patric Dahlén

There are many filter brands that made push-on filters in this and other sizes. Heliopan, Lifa, Panchromar, Arnz, SOL, Zeiss Ikon, AGFA, Optochrom, Cenei, WATA...

B+W and Heliopan are the safest bets because they started after the war, so most of their filters are coated. The Voigtländer filters are great too, if you can use them without problems.