Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film vs Digital

Film vs Digital Discussions about the relative advantages and disadvantages of Film vs Digital are important as they can help us understand our choices as photographers. Each medium has strengths and weaknesses which can best be used in a given circumstance. While this makes for an interesting and useful discussion, DO NOT attack others who disagree with you. Forum rules are explained in the RFF FAQ linked at the top of each page.

Old 10-13-2016   #41
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Regarding safeguarding your digital files: I think the best solution is to make a print of anything you love. If you're concerned that your grandchildren will have a box of something to remember your days on the planet, there's nothing better than a box of prints.

Old 10-13-2016   #42
SaveKodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Not me!

I was making the point that the depreciation argument is actually worse for new film than new digital. Much much much worse as can be seen.
I would argue only in a few cases. I bought a new Chamonix 45N2 recently and sold it for about 80% of it's buying price. Not too bad. The F6 and Leica are just in a tough spot because there are SO many alternatives to them, in addition to a decade or more production of the same model. When it comes to large format, recently discontinued Rolleiflex's, or similar the usual rules hold.

Old 10-13-2016   #43
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
For you.

I do not find it a PITA at all. I find it a complete pleasure giving the results I want.

Sure, if I need to take a snap of my cat to post on the internet I'll use a digicam...
you're a lucky man...say hi to the cat for me as well.

xt20...xe2...xe1...
16...23...23...27...50...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 10-13-2016   #44
pepeguitarra

Honestly, the answer should come from within you. Why do you take photographs? Do you sell them? Are you a for making a living out of photography? If yes, then you can think of ways to keep making money with both. If you are like me, I do it for love to the art, I have 15,000 pieces in my computer that I do not see much often, and rarely print, only for exhibitions or contests. Doing film without dark room for printing is half analog-half digital, not the best. One satisfaction of film, is that you have to work at it and can see the product coming out. Again, time is a factor in both cases. Digital requires a lot of time in front of the computer, and film requires a lot of time in the lab.

Old 10-13-2016   #45
Fraser

How is it that film is for serious pictures that will change the world but digital is for snaps of cats?

Old 10-13-2016   #46
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
you're a lucky man...say hi to the cat for me as well.
I will be posting a 5 minute sequence shot at 24fps of her sleeping shortly.
Once I figure out the menus...
Digital cameras are AMAZING!

Old 10-13-2016   #47
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
How is it that film is for serious pictures that will change the world but digital is for snaps of cats?
Search for cat pics on the internet. See how many are shot on film...

The great unwashed have spoken. Digicams are the choice of cat snappers.

Old 10-13-2016   #48
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Maybe he archives his stuff correctly and those photos of his cat won't matter in two weeks but those portraits of something else will, so he chose to shoot a medium that is more archival for him?

Old 10-13-2016   #49
Huss

All my comments re cats are of course strictly tongue in cheek.

For the OP, do what makes you happy.

Old 10-13-2016   #50
Pioneer

Hey, quit picking on my cat.

He loves posing.

Or maybe he's just sleeping.

I will admit though, he doesn't seem to interested in pawing through the prints.

Though sometimes on cool mornings he takes a run and slides through them.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-13-2016   #51
ferider

And what would be wrong with cat pics on film ?

Not sure though why this has become a film vs. digital debate.

Roland.

Old 10-13-2016   #52
Gregm61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post

Roland.
That's usually how a post with any kind of remote reference to the choice winds up going...

Sweet little kitty (first image, LOL).

Old 10-13-2016   #53
ktmrider

There is lots of great advice here. I do photography as a hobby but honestly it is not a passion. It was in college and for a couple years when I was a professional. Then forty years ago I became a professional pilot.

I don't need the money so I don't need to sell anything. I enjoy owning cameras and have had one Leica or another in the cabinet since 1976. I will probably keep what I own (awaiting an M5 from Sherry) but really don't see upgrading to a 240. I bought the M9 a couple years ago to see if I wanted to go digital and honestly I don't. I still enjoy film. If I sell the M9, I will probably pick up some version of the X100 or perhaps something like the Ricoh GR2 or X70.

Honestly, I probably won't make a decision until the guy who wants the M9 shows me the cash. However, I am off to Asia for a three week trip at the end of October and I think I will just be taking the M2 with 35mm and lots of TriX (perhaps a couple rolls of Ektar as well) to see if I can be happy with just film.

Of course, it was not that many years ago that film was all we had. A friend of mine who shoots for NATGEO said 2002 was the year it changed and that is only one year before the Iraq war started. Imagine that!

Old 10-13-2016   #54
DanskDynamit

I shoot only film, the only digital camera I have is in my iPhone.

Old 10-13-2016   #55
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmriasder View Post
There is lots of great advice here. I do photography as a hobby but honestly it is not a passion. It was in college and for a couple years when I was a professional. Then forty years ago I became a professional pilot. . . .
This is why so many people here are talking at cross purposes. If photography is a passion, as it has been for me for almost 50 years, the responses of those for whom it is a pastime will be all but meaningless. Likewise, those for whom it is merely a pastime are likely to stare blankly at the responses of those who are passionate.

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-13-2016   #56
ktmrider

My passion for forty years was to get the aircraft back on the ground safely. Flying redefines passions.

Old 10-13-2016   #57
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
. . . Flying redefines passions.
Not necessarily. Flying is not always the be-all and end-all. One can be passionate about all kinds of things. I know/knew pilots who take/took flying in their stride, but reserve/reserved their passion for other things.

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-13-2016   #58
ktmrider

Roger, you miss my point about flying. It was something I did but was not passionate about but it was better then working for a living. But once you have any aircraft in the air, your primary concern becomes getting it back on the ground in one piece. That is why I said flying defines passion. After all, we are cheating gravity! Perhaps, that is the reason US Navy pilots rate themselves by the number of traps on an aircraft carrier!

Old 10-13-2016   #59
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Most people like mirrorless cameras, and most cameras don't like mirrorless people.
Cheers,
Juan

Old 10-14-2016   #60
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
This is why so many people here are talking at cross purposes. If photography is a passion, as it has been for me for almost 50 years, the responses of those for whom it is a pastime will be all but meaningless. Likewise, those for whom it is merely a pastime are likely to stare blankly at the responses of those who are passionate.

Cheers,

R.
Interesting comment but a lot of people are passionate about the equipment and yet the photography bit is only a casual pastime. To me a pastime is playing patience on the computer while it gets its act in toether...

Regards, David

Old 10-14-2016   #61
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
...I have 15,000 pieces in my computer that I do not see much often, and rarely print, only for exhibitions or contests. Doing film without dark room for printing is half analog-half digital, not the best. One satisfaction of film, is that you have to work at it and can see the product coming out. Again, time is a factor in both cases. Digital requires a lot of time in front of the computer, and film requires a lot of time in the lab.
The creative process is time consuming. Still, a hybrid workflow is twice the work(development, scanning then digital processing). And one ends up with a digital image in the end.

If you had 15,00 prints you wouldn't see them very often either. If you had 15,000 transparencies you wouldn't project them very often.

I enjoy the satisfaction of editing (the selection process) and sequencing photographs and then experiencing of optimizing their raw renderings.

AT this point in time I believe issue really isn't digital vs film. The issue is what media and workflow delivers enjoyment.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-14-2016   #62
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

After reading more comments from OP, I'm wishing him pleasant trip and cool film RF pictures from it. If no relatives and emotionally close to me places are involved on the trip, I would also take film M as main camera and use iPhone to capture something goofy and shareable. In fact, this is what I'm doing on such trips now.

Here is nothing wrong if OP will sell M9 to someone who needs it more. And I don't think GR, x70 type of camera is really needed to OP instead of M9. Latest dual lens iPhone would do better job and it is much more fun to use and more advance and quicker to get picture ready, shared (if needed) and backed up on the cloud. Sometimes I'm taking rural landscapes before place gets destroyed by cookie cutters developers, I'm using film M to take printable picture and iPhone to swipe off the panorama and have picture with coordinates of the place which used to be nice...

Old 10-14-2016   #63
SaveKodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
And what would be wrong with cat pics on film ?

Roland.
The OP's question was essentially a digital vs film debate but I agree with another commenter. This is not about what is 'better'. This is about what you want out of your photography. Your workflow, your long term goals, your need for immediacy or your want of limitations. There are differences between digital and film and each have strengths and weaknesses. Are we not allowed to discuss that?

Old 10-14-2016   #64
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
The OP's question was essentially a digital vs film debate but I agree with another commenter. This is not about what is 'better'. This is about what you want out of your photography. Your workflow, your long term goals, your need for immediacy or your want of limitations.
and what makes you want to get out there and enjoy photography. The most important part.

Old 10-14-2016   #65
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
And I don't think GR, x70 type of camera is really needed to OP instead of M9. Latest dual lens iPhone would do better job and it is much more fun to use and more advance ...
I'm not so sure of this...

Old 10-14-2016   #66
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
There are differences between digital and film and each have strengths and weaknesses. Are we not allowed to discuss that?
I know. I shoot both. And permission granted (not sure where your last sentence came from)

It's not just about workflow, long term goals, etc. We know that the OP does a lot of travel photography, see his recent related threads:
  • Tokyo?
  • RTW Next Summer
  • Iceland Again and the BWCA
  • Hong Kong?
  • Things Happen/Evolution of Travel Kit
  • Travel with Film?
  • Round the World . . .Packing Challenge
  • Taipei or Taiwan Info?
  • So, Which Lenses to Take? 35/50/90 or 21/35/90
  • Suggested Destinations? Japan Help
  • etc.

And he rides. These are some special needs and I sympathize with implied gear requirements. For example, when I travel, a lot of photos are done in the evening. Due to film checks, it's hard to shoot faster than ASA 400 - and some countries don't treat your film nicely. I pack light and prefer to just take just one body and a couple of lenses. Your Chamonix or F6 would be too big. Etc.

Ever since I use digital (2 years), I find it invaluable for traveling. And I don't mind carrying my 240 in my tank bag - it's that robust. Not sure I would treat an M9 the same.

Roland.

Old 10-14-2016   #67
MCTuomey

the reason i read threads like this one is simple. i like to hear how others align gear with their imaging goals. which has nothing to do with absolutes and everything to do with how someone gets it done and what problems were faced and resolved.

i stopped using film while traveling more than 5 years ago. my travel kit used to be a digital M with a couple lenses. needing flexibility on FL for live music shooting, now it's fuji X with 2-4 lenses.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 10-14-2016   #68
ktmrider

As I stated originally, I enjoy certain aspects of both digital and film: I know one system and enjoy the technology of the other. I don't think either is perfect and could be happy in either but sometimes I get the urge to narrow it down to one or the other. Let's face it, if there were a perfect camera or photo system out there we would all be using it.

And, yes I do travel a lot and ride a motorcycles a lot as well. Recently I was stunned by the motorcycle trip around Iceland by one of the members here while carrying camping gear and a couple 6x7 cameras. I am thinking if he can do it, so can I but I have used 35mm for years vice mf. In fact, I am planning for a motorcycle trip from the US to Panama and return in early 2017. Maybe I should buy a sidecar so I can carry all the photo gear. Wait, a Leica and two lenses will cover it.

So again I want to thank everyone for the advice. I don't know if I will make any decision soon as I enjoy having the option. Is not that why we own more then one camera and one lens?

Old 10-17-2016   #69
ktmrider

Well, the M9 will be gone this week which leaves me with five film cameras including a new to me medium format (Pentax 645NII) and an M5 due this week from Sherry. I am off in a week for the Philippines and taking the M5 with 35/90 and HP5. I am hoping to get very, very familiar with the M5.

I may pick up something like the Fuji X70 or Ricoh GR2 when I return or I may just see if I can live with the camera in the phone for awhile. Now I really need to quit procrastinating and get the darkroom set up.

Old 10-17-2016   #70
Ronald M

Full frame digital M is my dream. Sold a bunch of film Leicas to finance it and I will never sell it. I am sick of labs screwing up my color images and it getting increasingly difficult to do at home.

I kept one M6 and gave one to my son. He wants to learn to print so my darkroom is now opening up again. Only monochrome will be used.

I fell in love my Nikon F2 years ago, just not the bulky meter head. So I bought a F2 with plain prism. The lenses are all AiS that I used on my Nikon Digitals.

Vue Scan is getting my MK5400 scanner working again in case I want a digital file from film..

Old 10-17-2016   #71
ZivcoPhoto

If my CoolScan V ever broke down and was not repairable I couldn't imagine having to break out my PRIMOS Testreflex (Kienzle) enlarger and set up a darkroom again after 30 years.....I think I'll keep the M9 and continue to use the film cameras when the mood strikes.

Old 10-18-2016   #72
jazzwave

Don't sell anything, keep your current gear
Use your budget for traveling and shoot lot of pictures with your M9 & M2.

IMHO, M9 & M2 is beautiful pair... I wish I have these cameras.

~ron~

"It is significant that the greatest creative photographers use simple, basic equipment..." Ansel Adams, The Camera.