Sony's new A6500 and RX100 V cameras
Old 10-06-2016   #1
kxl
Social Documentary

Sony's new A6500 and RX100 V cameras

New speedsters... any interest?

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 10-08-2016   #2
al1966
Feed Your Head

I am tempted by the later RX100 line, if I see one at a good price in a few months I may spring for it, but then probably the MK3 would be good enough. My GX100 is on its way out and need a take every place camera, the Sony cameras have a near identical focal length range that is good. Things that put me off is finding I want to just have focal length X and increasingly finding disconcertion with zooms. If the RX100 is used as much as the GX100 though it seems like a superb investment, having been used as a carry every place and done 1000's of close up shots for tool/electronics type catalogues. So I am interested, not sure about a lot of the special functions, the endless buffer and video have little interest apart from the odd 2 min video of my daughter playing or talking.
The A6500 would make a good second body to my A7 and give my daughter my Nex6 but I know it would be a waste and the A7 would be used. The buffer on it would be great when shooting bands, especially ones that leap around a lot I have on occasion hit the buffer of the Nex.
So I may get an RX100 mk5 I fancy the A6500 but will hold off as the 6 does its job. Now if they did an RX1000 with a 35mm equivalent lens as a sort of poor mans RX1 I would be all over that like a shot.

Old 10-08-2016   #3
zuikologist

Both cameras have amazing spec. I am still on an NEX7 - for me this has the best shutter button feel of any NEX camera and the IQ is still superb. AF is good enough and build quality excellent. If I were in the market for a new body, the A6500 would be it, to go alongside an A7.

Old 10-08-2016   #4
kuuan
plays with lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
if I was using AF lenses than the A6500 would interest me very much indeed. As it is I am using manual lenses and I am satisfied with my Ricoh GXR M, Sony NEX5n and A7.

The RX100 series has caught my attention since Ver.I and I am thinking that at some point, when I find a good deal, I shall not be able to resist. I travel a lot, camera size and weight are important, this tiny but able AF zoom camera has the right zoom range for me and should make a good companion to my larger sensor cameras I am using manual lenses with.

Old 10-08-2016   #5
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
Both are interesting. The new RX100 is very tempting for a backup travel camera. The A6500 is a huge improvement over my A6000 for video, and I would like this update. But the price isn't right for me. I only spent $400 on the A6000.

Old 10-08-2016   #6
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I'm disappointed - I'm also still on a NEX7, and it seems like that was the end of the line for a NEX-style camera with a truly useful control set. Their dumping the Tri-Navi kills it for me. My NEX stuff is going on the block, today Fuji is making a much more usable system.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro1, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 10-08-2016   #7
kxl
Social Documentary

I'm using an A7R right now, and I must admit that both of these new releases are tempting, but the price points are daunting. Like others here, I may wait a few months to see if (and how much) the prices come down.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 10-08-2016   #8
AlwaysOnAuto

I've still got my Nex-7, but recently got an A7ii. I'm happy with the IBIS on it and how all my Nikon lenses have worked out. I haven't gotten to the point of wanting to get rid of my Nex-7 as it is nice to carry on my bike rides being lighter and some what smaller. I really like the size of the A7ii so I'd be hard pressed to jump to an A6500, especially at the prices their asking.

Old 10-09-2016   #9
zuikologist

I may be in a minority of one, but have found the tri nav system less useful than the back control wheel and one button click for exposure compensation. I am usually in aperture priority mode and leave the ISO setting between 400-1000. YMMV. The form factor, responsive controls and IQ keep me with the NEX7 - and it is a very good looking camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
I'm disappointed - I'm also still on a NEX7, and it seems like that was the end of the line for a NEX-style camera with a truly useful control set. Their dumping the Tri-Navi kills it for me. My NEX stuff is going on the block, today Fuji is making a much more usable system.

Old 10-09-2016   #10
majid
Fazal Majid

I have the RX100IV. The primary benefit of the Mark five is faster AF using 315 PDAF points and an improved buffer, but at the cost of nearly 1/4 reduction in battery life. It's probably not a good trade-off.

Old 10-10-2016   #11
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist View Post
I am still on an NEX7...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
I'm also still on a NEX7...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
I've still got my Nex-7...
I'm also still using my NEX-7 and don't see the need to upgrade at all. Great camera, very reliable, terrific IQ and it takes my Leica lenses.

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-11-2016   #12
zuikologist

Gotta love the NEX7.

I must confess to having one in store in case my main body fails one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
I'm also still using my NEX-7 and don't see the need to upgrade at all. Great camera, very reliable, terrific IQ and it takes my Leica lenses.

Old 10-11-2016   #13
kipkeston

I am on the street right now with the the rx100iv. I love the size and the viewfinder is a pleasure to use. If I could change one thing it would be to triple or quadruple the battery life. If I could change two things it would be to redo the button layout, particularly the silly movie button.

For my street purposes I would take better battery life over better AF (something I didn't really find to be an issue in the first place).

Old 10-11-2016   #14
jsrockit

I just do not like that the VF cannot be locked on the RX100 series... as a glasses wearer, it is always being pushed in when I try to rest my eye on it.