Suggest a photo book printing service
Old 09-25-2016   #1
trondareo

Suggest a photo book printing service

I am planning to summarize two projects I have been working on in photo books, and would like recommendations on printing services.
The family has several photo books from apple, that are ok, and I have tried a CEWE book with a gloss hardcover that I did not like as much. Are there any other suggestions? In Europe?

Old 09-25-2016   #2
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

Blurb - when they have an offer!
Not perfect but am reasonably pleased with the five books they have done for me this year.

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 09-25-2016   #3
Swift1

I did on through Mypublisher and I'm really impressed with it. I don't know if they are in Europe though.
You can check out peecho.com

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 09-25-2016   #4
Bill Clark

Look over this possible source:

http://www.photobookpress.com/site/

Located in Minneapolis, don't know if this would work for you but maybe check out the web site.

For wedding books here is the source I used:

http://www.pictobooks.com/html2/index.php

Old 09-25-2016   #5
rbrooks

I've used DS Colour Labs in the UK a few times. But I hold out for their luxury books when they have a sale special which is maybe twice a years but last for around 3-4 weeks. So far I've been relatively happy with the results. All books are very expensive so it' more of a treat when I would order one.
I size all the pictures in Lightroom to get the maximum quality and use their software only to convert to the final book format. Also I create mosaics in Lightroom printing module as well to maximise space and get more precise positioning.

Old 09-26-2016   #6
trondareo

Thank you for great suggestions. I found Blurb interesting, and have also found a local printer I want to check out, so for now I am building the book in Scribus.

Old 09-26-2016   #7
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Look over this possible source:

http://www.photobookpress.com/site/

Located in Minneapolis, don't know if this would work for you but maybe check out the web site.

For wedding books here is the source I used:

http://www.pictobooks.com/html2/index.php
Photobookpress design tool looks pretty good. Doing a sketch now.

Old 09-26-2016   #8
Bill Clark

Regarding photobook press I did go and visit their business and they produce beautiful products. As I was near retirement, I never did use their services. Pictobooks was my main source as wedding albums and what they made worked for me.

Old 09-27-2016   #9
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

trondario - interested that you are working with Scribus.
I reckon this to be quite good for desk top publishing but book making is a bit different and I think involves different skills. Before you get too far are you sure that files from scribus will transfer to a book making program.
I suggest you do a very short dummy book in 'Booksmart' just to gain that experience if you have not had it. You don't have to publish the book, but I believe you can do something of a page print yourself.
Best wishes J

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 09-30-2016   #10
trondareo

Thanks for the heads up Jesse1dog. I know most online printing services will not accept Desk Top Publishing output, although I saw Blurb accepted PDFs. For now the Scribus publication is just a test. I am pretty frustrated by most of the online services publishing software, therefor this experiment.

Old 09-30-2016   #11
dasuess
Nikon Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse1dog View Post
trondario - interested that you are working with Scribus.
I reckon this to be quite good for desk top publishing but book making is a bit different and I think involves different skills. Before you get too far are you sure that files from scribus will transfer to a book making program.
I suggest you do a very short dummy book in 'Booksmart' just to gain that experience if you have not had it. You don't have to publish the book, but I believe you can do something of a page print yourself.
Best wishes J

I have successfully used Scribus to do Blurb books using their PDF to book process. I have done the same with Edition One.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David A. Suess
Nikon Df: 24/f2.8, 28/f3.5, 35f/2, 43-86/f3.5, 55/f3.5 Micro, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 180/f2.8, 200/f4, 300/f4.5
http://DavidSuessImages.com

Old 09-30-2016   #12
trondareo

That's encouraging!

Old 09-30-2016   #13
giganova

Not a big fan of Blurb. I printed one b&w book, converting all pictures into CMYK as recommended by Blurb, but all photos had a blueish-green hue.

Old 09-30-2016   #14
dasuess
Nikon Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Not a big fan of Blurb. I printed one b&w book, converting all pictures into CMYK as recommended by Blurb, but all photos had a blueish-green hue.

Same here... I have given up finding an affordable high quality B+W POD book printer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David A. Suess
Nikon Df: 24/f2.8, 28/f3.5, 35f/2, 43-86/f3.5, 55/f3.5 Micro, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 180/f2.8, 200/f4, 300/f4.5
http://DavidSuessImages.com