Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

GF670 first impressions
Old 09-15-2016   #1
Evan Bedford

GF670 first impressions

So far, so good. Haven't had a chance to develop anything yet, but the camera functions nicely, and seems like a solid unit.

However, I immediately noticed that the strap lugs are on the opposite side of the main grip. On every other camera that I've had, I've looped my hand in the strap at the same time that I've picked the thing up. But without that bit of insurance, I feel like a motorcycle rider without a helmet (being a motorcycle rider, that was actually the visceral analogy that immediately came to mind when I first picked the Fuji out of the box).

Do I have any options? Are their any companies that make leather cases specifically for the GF670?

Old 09-18-2016   #2
Huss

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182106779535...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 09-18-2016   #3
fad gadget

I second that, it's a great case!

Old 09-18-2016   #4
f16sunshine

I've been using a wrist strap attached to the tripod thread in use and carry the camera in a nice pouch on a shoulder strap with spare film when folded.
Works nicely

Old 09-19-2016   #5
Archlich

Weird thing is the prototype shown at PMA 2008 had three lugs covering both horizontal and vertical positions. God knows what happened to the R&D team during the following year.

Old 09-20-2016   #6
Evan Bedford

I saw that also, but the straps are still on the left side. (I like to reach in my camera bag with one hand, and even before I pick it up, have my hand looped through the strap.)

Anyways, I bit the bullet and I glued (with Gorilla brand krazy glue) a strip of aluminum (covered with black paint and etching primer) to the body's right side. It looks kind of ugly (I'll have to post a photo), but it's on there very solidly, and it did an admirable job on a hike I took yesterday to the Plain of Six Glaciers (Banff National Park).

The hike was also a good chance to put the rest of the camera through its paces, and I'm quite happy with it. Relatively light, easy to use, and quite rugged.

Old 09-20-2016   #7
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bedford View Post
Relatively light, easy to use, and quite rugged.
You lost me at rugged.

Be careful with folders, they are wonderful cameras but not rugged.

Old 09-20-2016   #8
sepiareverb
Dead ringer for Mr Grinch

I shoot the 667W and the only quibble I have is the effing strap lugs. Why not give it three if they were gonna stick em on the wrong side?

Old 09-20-2016   #9
Evan Bedford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
You lost me at rugged.

Be careful with folders, they are wonderful cameras but not rugged.
OK, well compared to my old Nagaoka.

Old 09-25-2016   #10
Evan Bedford

Here's my solution. Looks ugly, but I can now dangle it over rocks without feeling nervous. Essentially, it's aluminum bonded to the camera with Gorilla brand super glue. My big mistake, however, was using too much glue, so it spread out past the aluminum bar and made a bit of a mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strap lug front.jpg (27.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg strap lug rear.jpg (25.6 KB, 34 views)

Old 10-15-2016   #11
Evan Bedford

So I took it to Cuba for a week, along with a Sony A7s and a Fuji W3. What impressed me most was its ease of use. With the 670, I could leave my glasses and clip-on sun glasses attached to my head. The eye relief was more than enough to see the frame lines, and the finder was easily bright enough so that I could see everything through my sunglasses. With the Sony, however, there wasn't enough eye relief, and with the W3, I couldn't see the LCD screen with my sunglasses on (and often I couldn't see its screen even without sunglasses on).